Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:32 PM

Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour (4996 Views)

Elders Bowing for 17-Year-Old Delta-King Chukwuka-Akaeze I / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? / Why are Nigerian so Abusive and Insulting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 3:56am On Feb 01, 2011
why do so many people feel its ok to just start raining curses and insults on others simply because they're not as old as them?

is this a form of madness, or do we blame the visa officer who gave them a visa.

africans who were actually born overseas do not act this way in general, so it's very puzzling when the ones who came from the motherland, display this trait.

and they teach others to do the same.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:42am On Feb 01, 2011
We're you insulted and humiliated recently? grin

Is this your way of releasing steam? grin

1 Like

Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 5:46am On Feb 01, 2011
^^it's amazing the way you people project on others.

i observed something and posted my observation, that's all.

now, where is insult and humiliation coming from, besides your own mind?

and why are you so eager to see someone insulted and humiliated?

seriously, i try to understand your sick minds.

it's difficult, but i can only assume your mindset has something to do with your past.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 5:47am On Feb 01, 2011
anyway!! kindly answer the question or else vamoose if you cant.

always seeing insults and looking for offence. undecided

Disrespecting elders is very unafrican- correct me if i'm wrong!!!!

maybe things are different in your own area?
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by PhysicsMHD(m): 5:51am On Feb 01, 2011
Calm down. grin grin

You reacted exactly like I thought you would. That's one of the key motivations obnoxious youths like myself have for mocking elders like you. It's just kind of fun. grin

On a serious note, I've never ever seen an African in America insult older people that they know, so maybe Nigerians in Nigeria are doing it out of contempt for the bad leaders in the country - all of whom are their elders. Wole Soyinka called his generation a failed or wasted generation. When you start to view them in that light, why not insult them? undecided
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 5:53am On Feb 01, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Calm down. grin grin

You reacted exactly like I thought you would. That's one of the key motivations obnoxious youths like myself have for mocking elders like you. It's just kind of fun. grin

On a serious note, I've never ever seen an African in America insult older people that they know, so maybe Nigerians in Nigeria are doing it out of contempt for the bad leaders in the country - all of whom are their elders. Wole Soyinka called his generation a failed or wasted generation. When you start to view them in that light, why not insult them? undecided

bro, you're older than me.

as per mocking elders, are you planning to be an elder some day?

just asking.

so, you're saying you insult elders because wole soyinka does so.

and as for reaction, if i go through your posts, i'm sure i'll find some where you were foaming at the mouth with rage at something somebody said.

dont be a hypocrite.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 6:01am On Feb 01, 2011
isnt this from you:

PhysicsMHD:

Oh wow!. . . big man, huh? Stifle yourself . What you're trying to present as some major achievement is freaking commonplace. I didn't ask  what so-called businesses  you run. At the end of the day, your thinking is neanderthal like. There's absolutely no difference between what you said  and what I might hear from the average  racial supremacist concerning the “difference between (insert ethnicity/race here) people  and other human beings."

And yet you don't know Bayelsa has always been a rural undeveloped area from the very beginning of this country to now? The difference  between Bayelsa and the rest of southern Nigeria is that it's an almost entirely rural area and other places aren't and have been developing since colonial times.

Who asked what people you belong to or what they're doing? Who asked what the Yoruba are doing now? Im-becile.
Guy, look at the number of ND people heading or owning banks and rethink your statement. Delta has one of the highest GDP per capita in the state, Rivers too.

Students? grin Lol, what a clown. .
What postulations? I've said it before and I'll say it again, your whole argument is asinine. Your own people, and mine, have not failed to produce  thieves and looters with supporters and money-grubbing sycophants. Look at what Orji just did in Abia! 457 assistants! Is that an ND thing?

Arguing for the sake of arguing?  What would  you call what you are engaging in right now? You came in to this thread to argue like a fool merely for the sake of arguing even when what you wanted to argue about had little to do with the thread pictures. Now after being told what you really are, you're still rambling on about nothing just for the sake of rambling. Shut up and go sit in the corner.
Few of my posts are from arguments. If you actually  did look through my posts. But I'm not surprised  to see you just making stuff up. You have so many “businesses”  to attend to after all.

PhysicsQED:

What's wrong with this woman?

Geez, some Nigerians marry white people and they start talking trash about their own, not even realizing they're dissing their ancestors and all their relatives. I've seen men do it, women do it, it's pathetic. This same woman who can't even spell ("chuvinist", "compatability", "aile", "marraige", "hypocrates"wink is here talking down to people from some other country that she didn't even get to by virtue of her own effort but through the efforts of her Nigerian father and mother.

You've got some serious issues lady, I mean "black, lazy, sweaty" "monkey behind"? You're indirectly dissing your black self as well. All because the man asked a simple question concerning a loss of intimacy in his marriage. Calm down and grow up.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by McCoy91(m): 6:03am On Feb 01, 2011
Funny elderly people
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:08pm On Feb 01, 2011
tpiah*:

why do so many people feel its ok to just start raining curses and insults on others simply because they're not as old as them?

is this a form of madness, or do we blame the visa officer who gave them a visa.

africans who were actually born overseas do not act this way in general, so it's very puzzling when the ones who came from the motherland, display this trait.

and they teach others to do the same.

why call him/.her african when s/he wasnt born in any of the african country ?

there is nothing called unafrican, african has 53 nations meaning we got different cultures among the 53 nations and many within each country

rudenes got nothing do with africanness or the west but it has something to do with individuals
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by armyofone(m): 2:28pm On Feb 01, 2011
tpia lol, but elders/old pple too do worst grin

ever seen the white old ladies/folks dole out curses? lol

just go bargain with an old person selling stuff at the market in naija, o Lord
grin
i try not to bargain when buying things from an old person

western old folk are cool though until you hit your lady (they don't hestitate to dail 911). love their dress style on sunday morning grin
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 2:32pm On Feb 01, 2011
^^i'm referring to the practice by some people, of automatically insulting others just because they're older.

very uncouth and doesnt show good breeding.

in africa, respect for elders is one of the basics in any society.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 2:32pm On Feb 01, 2011
@zim drill

remove your area from the list if respect for elders is not taught where you come from.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:45pm On Feb 01, 2011
tpiah*:

@zim drill

remove your area from the list if respect for elders is not taught where you come from.

please reason hard

everywhere is the world people love respect and want to be respected it got nothing to with being african or unafrican

it is up to individuals and the society there are in
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 2:46pm On Feb 01, 2011
like i said, if they dont teach respect in your area, then remove it from the list.

in africa, we show respect for elders.

kapish?

maybe you are migrants.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by amor4ce(m): 5:19pm On Feb 01, 2011
I don't know about the whole of Africa o! I do know that respect and demonstration of such for elders is very important among the Yoruba and I guess the Hausa people as well. However I'm not sure about how it is observed amongst the Igbo.

There is a saying - "The age of Methuselah has nothing to do with the wisdom of Solomon".

I've had discomforting experiences with some elders who seemed to have been behaving like prigs, perhaps due to approaching dotage. These ones seem assume that the younger ones are deliberately not giving them due respect or want to take advantage of senility - as if there is a stereotype of how younger ones should behave. So, I feel that the accusation of disrespect is at times uncalled for, unjust, and a gutter behavior on their part.

Also, what have Africans benefitted from the "Elders" when many act like demigods, sit-tight rulers, kleptomaniacs, 419 kingpins, wife snatchers, and prolific fornicators, not to forget entrenchment in sacrifices so as not to take responsibility for their actions.

Nevertheless, I agree that we should give respect but in doing so provide upward leadership when necessary.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 12:20am On Feb 02, 2011
once again, i'm referring to the practice of insulting someone for no other reason than because they're older than you.

say, for example, you're 25, and you meet someone who's 30.

next thing we hear is a barrage of insults and ill mannered abuse by the 25 year old, directed at the 30 year old.

"oloshi", "agbaya", "old hag", "menopause", "you don old"

very sickening behaviour worthy of a gutter rat.

I AM NOT REFERRING TO ANY LEADER HERE BUT THE BAD MENTALITY AND WRONG ASSUMPTION THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK YOUR GOODS ARE SOUGHT AFTER IN THE STRIPPER MARKET, YOU SHOULD JUST START RUNNING MOUTH GBOA LIKE RABBIT.

respect for elders is a cornerstone of african values, and it seems much of this is being lost in transit to the diaspora.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by angry190: 12:56am On Feb 02, 2011
tpiah*:

once again, i'm referring to the practice of insulting someone for no other reason than because they're older than you.

[size=29pt]say, for example, you're 25, and you meet someone who's 30.

next thing we hear is a barrage of insults and ill mannered abuse by the 25 year old, directed at the 30 year old.

"oloshi", "agbaya", "old hag", "menopause", "you don old"[/size]

very sickening behaviour worthy of a gutter rat.

I AM NOT REFERRING TO ANY LEADER HERE BUT THE BAD MENTALITY AND WRONG ASSUMPTION THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK YOUR GOODS ARE SOUGHT AFTER IN THE STRIPPER MARKET, YOU SHOULD JUST START RUNNING MOUTH GBOA LIKE RABBIT.

respect for elders is a cornerstone of african values, and it seems much of this is being lost in transit to the diaspora.

DEATH,

ROTFLMFAO,

HAHAHAHAHAHA,

AGBAYA,

ROLLING ON THE FLOOR COMPLETELY BUTT NAKED
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 1:01am On Feb 02, 2011
MODERATORS Y'ALL BETTER RELEASE ME, I DONT LIKE WHAT IM DOING!!!

hmm.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by angry190: 1:03am On Feb 02, 2011
^^so you are 30 after all,

kneel down lemme pray so you would get a husband tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by Outstrip(f): 1:06am On Feb 02, 2011
Elderly in my opinion is like 60 years old. A 25 year old and a 30 year old in your example probably best explains why young people are just so over this you must respect me deal because I was born first. Respect is earned abeg. I still think we should raise our children to always respect their elders but I wish someone would also educate elders on the dangers of being an agbaya LOL
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by angry190: 1:08am On Feb 02, 2011
Outstrip:

Elderly in my opinion is like 60 years old. A 25 year old and a 30 year old in your example probably best explains why young people are just so over this you must respect me deal because I was born first. Respect is earned abeg. I still think we should raise our children to always respect their elders but I wish someone would also educate elders on the dangers of being an agbaya LOL

Please tell TPIAH
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by Nobody: 1:10am On Feb 02, 2011
Outstrip:

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The bible says honor thy mother and thy father also saying they must not provoke their children.
Same for strangers, love each other and respect elders but elders must not provoke if they want respect.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 1:12am On Feb 02, 2011
Elderly in my opinion is like 60 years old. A 25 year old and a 30 year old in your example probably best explains why young people are just so over this you must respect me deal because I was born first. Respect is earned abeg. I still think we should raise our children to always respect their elders but I wish someone would also educate elders on the dangers of being an agbaya LOl

^^well, the way i was raised, even if an elder is being an agbaya, it still doesnt give the younger one a license to run mouth anyhow.

the essence of respect isnt to only do it if or when the older person acts in a way you approve of.

you are not well mannered if you just start acting s.tupid and crass because you simply cant be bothered to behave.

aka ki lo ma fimise.

disrespect is just that- disrespect.

it's just lack of manners.

if you have a disagreement with an elder, you should be able to express yourself in ways that show you came from somewhere where people live to old age. If that's a strange concept to you, then kudos.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 1:13am On Feb 02, 2011
MzD@rkSkin:

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The bible says honor thy mother and thy father also saying they must not provoke their children.
Same for strangers, love each other and respect elders but elders must not provoke if they want respect.

have you ever lived in africa or how are you familiar with the thread title.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by Nobody: 1:26am On Feb 02, 2011
@tpia no, never been to Africa nor am I directly from there but i do know that that rule is not just pertaining to African nationals. Most societies preach the respecting of elders. It is universal and believe it or not, it's importance strongly emphasized/pushed in Jamaica. A disrespectful child there can risk getting a beating from just about every adult present during their rants/insults. So I understand perfectly what you are saying however when I am disrespected I am more willing to bite my tongue to an ACTUAL senior citizen than someone who is not even 10 years older than I, worst of all if they are an interloper.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 1:31am On Feb 02, 2011
^^the thread title specifically said AFRICAN.

i dont know how they do things in jamaica, but going by your attitude here, i doubt you have any idea what i'm talking about.

anyway, lets not make the thread about you, thanks.

i can open another one for you to discuss jamaican culture if you so want.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by Outstrip(f): 1:38am On Feb 02, 2011
I grew up for the most part in Nigeria so I guess I am "qualified" (in your opinion) to speak here. Tpiah this question is for you. What is your definition of this respect. I will definitely raise my kids to speak up for themselves and I don't care if it is to a 60 year old. I get the feeling that respect to you  means always letting an older person be of the opinion that they are right simply because they were born first. We have an abundance of those kinds of people in Nigeria. Maybe that is our problem. When you have a collective bunch of people that do not earn the accolades they get then we have people who will never learn or improve. Someone rightly said what does the age of Methuselah have to do with the wisdom of solomon? We are so drunk with this mentality in Nigeria that young people are never given a chance. Things are so stagnant and the customs are culture do nt give way for fresh new ideas.
You will hear people in office (in power as we often say in Nigeria) use language like "look at this small boy" or "do you think I am your mate?" LOL. Please abeg. I don't want to get you worked up. I just want you to see that being older should not automatically make you feel that you are entitled to respect. Let us teach our kids to respect their elders but it does not mean that an agbaya is not an agbaya
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 1:49am On Feb 02, 2011
Outstrip:

I grew up for the most part in Nigeria so I guess I am "qualified" (in your opinion) to speak here. Tpiah this question is for you. What is your definition of this respect. I will definitely raise my kids to speak up for themselves and I don't care if it is to a 60 year old. I get the feeling that respect to you  means always letting an older person be of the opinion that they are right simply because they were born first. We have an abundance of those kinds of people in Nigeria. Maybe that is our problem. When you have a collective bunch of people that do not earn the accolades they get then we have people who will never learn or improve. Someone rightly said what does the age of Methuselah have to do with the wisdom of solomon? We are so drunk with this mentality in Nigeria that young people are never given a chance. Things are so stagnant and the customs are culture do nt give way for fresh new ideas.
You will hear people in office (in power as we often say in Nigeria) use language like "look at this small boy" or "do you think I am your mate?" LOL. Please abeg. I don't want to get you worked up. I just want you to see that being older should not automatically make you feel that you are entitled to respect. Let us teach our kids to respect their elders but it does not mean that an agbaya is not an agbaya

i quoted specific instances, namely that some people have the notion that being older is in itself an insult.

imo, only someone with no home training would think that way.

and yes, let's all respect ourselves.

even if an older person is acting in ways that to you, do not connote respect, it is uncouth on your part to start abusing them.

and most of the time, the elder doesnt even have to do or say anything to bring on the gutter rat syndrome.

and as a younger person, who are you most times to say an elder is to be disrespected for whatever reason? just because you dont agree with them or because you feel you're better off than they are?
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by angry190: 2:01am On Feb 02, 2011
LOL @ TPIA

Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by Nobody: 2:08am On Feb 02, 2011
tpiah*:

i dont know how they do things in jamaica, but going by your attitude here, i doubt you have any idea what i'm talking about.

When have I ever cared about specific words in your "late night rum influenced tantrum" threads? Mukina specifically asked that we act civil and now that I am you are trying to draw me out? Before I allow myself to go that route, I'd leave you alone to your own misery. Go to a pub jare  tongue
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by omega25red(m): 2:15am On Feb 02, 2011
tpiah*:

this is the attitude that gets insults and disrespect. This is a forum where anyone African or not can state and opinion. you basically gave her an underhanded insult by say "i don't know how they do things in Jamaica" saying things like that antagonizes people. you started a thread and people are answering just because you had issues with someone in another area of the site doesn't mean they can't state their opinion.

it is disheartening to see how elders are disrespected but most of those elders refuse to realize that the world has and is changing. all that old school stuff doesn't fly anymore. as and "elder" you just can't talk or behave recklessly and not expect retaliation such is the world we live in now so elders will have to adjust to the current world.
Re: Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour by tpiah2: 2:21am On Feb 02, 2011
omega25red:

this is the attitude that gets insults and disrespect. This is a forum where anyone African or not can state and opinion. you basically gave her an underhanded insult by say "i don't know how they do things in Jamaica" saying things like that antagonizes people. you started a thread and people are answering just because you had issues with someone in another area of the site doesn't mean they can't state their opinion.

it is disheartening to see how elders are disrespected but most of those elders refuse to realize that the world has and is changing. all that old school stuff doesn't fly anymore. as and "elder" you just can't talk or behave recklessly and not expect retaliation such is the world we live in now so elders will have to adjust to the current world.

i specifically said AFRICANS  in the thread title, so she needs to show some respect by staying out of this thread.

no apologies and i believe i'm very clear on that.

if you want to catch feelings on her behalf, open another thread for her about africa and invite her there.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can Someone Clean Up The Wikipedia Page For Igbo People? / How Every 26th Of December Is Spent In My Hometown (photos) / Is Opa Oranmiyan A God That Worship? (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.