Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,404 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:55 PM

Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison (7943 Views)

I Know What I’m Doing, Buhari Tells Critic, Dele Momodu / Tonye Okio Has Been Arrested (President Jonathan’s Critic) / Ex- IGP Ehindero Remanded In Prison For Theft. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by dapachez: 10:15am On Feb 01, 2011
Mukhtari Ibrahim Aminu, the man arrested and arraigned before a Magistrate Court in Dutse for allegedly insulting Governor Sule Lamido of Jigawa State on Facebook has been remanded in prison till February, 7, 2011.
The accused person was arrested by the police 10 days ago for allegedly sending an abusive text message against Governor Sule Lamido through his face book page.

In his ruling, the presiding judge, Magistrate Mustapha Saád fixed February 7 for ruling on the bail application filed before the court by the counsel to the accused person, Barrister Adamu Abubakar.  When the case came up yesterday at Dutse Magistrate Court II, the accused person pleaded not guilty after the prosecution counsel, SP Peter Amedi read the First Information Report (FIR) to him and the judge asked him whether he committed the offence or not.

The prosecution counsel, SP Peter Amedi, told the court that the accused person had on February 19, 2011 posted an abusive text message insulting Governor Sule Lamido on his facebook page, hence, defamed the character of the governor. SP Amedi told the court that the accused person’s action contravened section 393 of the penal code, therefore leading to his arrest by the police and now arraigned before the court of law for prosecution.

In another development, the state Commissioner for Justice Barrister Tijjani Inuwa Dutse has applied to take over the case from the police. Standing before the court for the Attorney General, Barrister Muhammad Lamin told the court that the Justice Commissioner was empowered by section 211 of the Nigerian Constitution to take over any case from anybody and or stop it entirely.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201102010260.html
clued from daily trust feb 01 2011
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by kcjazz(m): 10:22am On Feb 01, 2011
It's not bragging if you can back it up~Muhammad Ali

The anonymity of the web makes people lose all sense of manners. And even if you feel you need to make your point, know your rights for free speech and have a lawyer. I doubt this person has any.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Browser69(m): 10:24am On Feb 01, 2011
Hmm!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Odunnu: 10:31am On Feb 01, 2011
Na wa o!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Beaf: 10:33am On Feb 01, 2011
kcjazz:

It's not bragging if you can back it up~Muhammad Ali

The anonymity of the web makes people lose all sense of manners. And even if you feel you need to make your point, know your rights for free speech and have a lawyer. I doubt this person has any.

Some people are really daft and don't realise that the exact same laws they are subject to on the streets govern the web as well. A Nigerian that supports child marriages or sodomy on the net can be jailed. If anyone threatens another on the web, the victim can seek legal action.

Many have been jailed, because they foolishly believe they can't be traced. People, except you are a clued up hacker, you can be traced very easily (sometimes to whithin a few metres of where you stand or to your exact street number). Information Technology is a frightful thing if you know how things work.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by trekkie: 11:00am On Feb 01, 2011
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Gbawe: 11:12am On Feb 01, 2011
trekkie:

there was that case recently of that lady , i forget her name in the u.s that was fired for being abusive to co-workers and writing trash about her employers on facebook , but being remanded in prison? the gov i believe has abused his power. if i were he, i would make a public show of calling the guy, asking him what i have done, promise to make amends and magnanimously forgiven him. all closely followed by the tv camera crews of course and make sure that this process is also copiously documented on facebook garnering some public support as the benevolent servant/leader in the process;[b] rather than come across as the high handed barbarian that he now looks to be.[/b]the icing on the cake is if the guy can be made to apologise for what he did . i would make sure that that video clip is circulated via, facebook, nairaland,youtube, my space, ait,nta, name it.
nigerians politicians and their crude tactics never knowing how to intelligently turn a negative situation to their advantage rather they bring out the sledgehammer to kill both the elephant and the mosquito.

Indeed . He may recourse to the law in acting like this but morally most folks will view his actions as highhanded and intolerant. These guys are all quick to pretend to be modern , humble and grounded by 'engaging the constituency' on facebook and other social networking sites yet one has to ask if Politicians do not expect abuse or heated words against their person given the passion their actions raise in the citizenry.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by trekkie: 11:19am On Feb 01, 2011
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by violent(m): 11:19am On Feb 01, 2011
This flagrant display of powers and abuse of office should be condemned in any society that has solid plans for growth on a forward looking basis. Conviction of the guy in question will make a total comic of our democracy, why should we claim to have rights to freedom of speech if a governor of a state can decide to use the powers of his office to prevent such?

Everyone has a right to his or her own opinion, and as long as the contents of the message is not a classified "hate message" then all authorities in question are merely dancing to the tune of the power drunk governor at the expense of democracy.  If everyone who insults a governor or president ought to be arrested, half of the USA should be in Guantanamo by now.

Should we now live in a society where we all become dundees, lest the governor feels insulted?

and what more? i question why the guy was arrested and detained in this case, the governor, if he feels insulted ought to sue the dude, not get him arrested, this is just plain barbaric, you don't deny an individual his freedom of movement simply because you feel what he said is insulting, this is not the 1800s!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 01, 2011
some guys will still not learn from this fellows experience instead they will see this as another reason to insult those in authority,just watch out and see what the word DAFT really means when its in exhibition
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Beaf: 11:37am On Feb 01, 2011
violent:

This flagrant display of powers and abuse of office should be condemned in any society that has solid plans for growth on a forward looking basis. Conviction of the guy in question will make a total comic of our democracy, why should we claim to have rights to freedom of speech if a governor of a state can decide to use the powers of his office to prevent such?

Everyone has a right to his or her own opinion, and as long as the contents of the message is not a classified "hate message" then all authorities in question are merely dancing to the tune of the power drunk governor at the expense of democracy. If everyone who insults a governor or president ought to be arrested, half of the USA should be in Guantanamo by now.

Should we now live in a society where we all become dundees, lest the governor feels insulted?

and what more? i question why the guy was arrested and detained in this case, the governor, if he feels insulted ought to sue the dude, not get him arrested, this is just plain barbaric, you don't deny an individual his freedom of movement simply because you feel what he said is insulting, this is not the 1800s!

What do you mean freedom of speech? Slander is and has always been a crime, why should it be different because it was done on the web? Same goes with making threats and similar. Nigerians in particular do not seem to realise that the law is just as powerful on the web as it is on the streets. This should be an effective eye opener, in fact there should be many more jailings as happens in Western countries.

By the way, Sule Lamido is right up there with Fashola as an effective governor who has worked miracles.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Nsiman(m): 11:45am On Feb 01, 2011
@ op, He sent a txt msg to him on february 19, 2011? What is today's date?
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by violent(m): 11:50am On Feb 01, 2011
Beaf:

What do you mean freedom of speech? Slander is and has always been a crime, why should it be different because it was done on the web? Same goes with making threats and similar. Nigerians in particular do not seem to realise that the law is just as powerful on the web as it is on the streets. This should be an effective eye opener, in fact there should be many more jailings as happens in Western countries.

By the way, Sule Lamido is right up there with Fashola as an effective governor who has worked miracles.

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak freely without censorship or limitation, or both.

If the Governor feels a case of slander has been committed against his person, the right thing he should do like any other law abiding Nigerian is to get his lawyer to sue the other party, NOT to use his influence to get him locked up!. . .They are two different things.

This is by no means a case of assault, and in all probability, i doubt the guy in question threatened the governor, why then is he locked up behind bars for making his opinion known on the web?

If it had been someone like Femi Otedola who said the same thing to the governor's face, would he have gotten him locked up as well?  This is just one of the many cases of[i] "i will show you who i am"[/i] mentality that is eating deep and causing rot in the Nigerian Judicial system, the rich and powerful have a different constitution from the poor and weak.  

. . . .and really, who cares if he's in the same league with Fashola in terms of "miracles". . .what is being established here is that he's abusing the powers and influence that comes with his office, . .

Stupid governor, there, i said it!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Beaf: 11:54am On Feb 01, 2011
^
Did you read the article? The man is before a court of law facing the legal ramifications of his actions.
The governor never locked him up.

Mukhtari Ibrahim Aminu, the man arrested and arraigned before a Magistrate Court in Dutse for allegedly insulting Governor Sule Lamido of Jigawa State on Facebook has been remanded in prison till February, 7, 2011.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by violent(m): 12:01pm On Feb 01, 2011
Beaf:

^
Did you read the article? The man is before a court of law facing the legal ramifications of his actions.
The governor never locked him up.

From the quoted article, the man was arrested and then remanded, and i lay it bare that those two are likely to be on the orders of the governor.
If you sue someone, they normally don't get arrested, instead, they are instructed via a court order to appear before a magistrate with their legal representatives, which should normally be the case in every civil action scenarios, such as slander!

This is just a Nigerian without the money or influence to fight his case. Apparently, our courts require that a citizen has both, else, he might be behind bars for a very long time.

A classical animal farm story, in Nigeria, the governors are demi-gods who should never be insulted. shior
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by usbcable(m): 12:21pm On Feb 01, 2011
Nsiman:

@ op, He sent a txt msg to him on february 19, 2011? What is today's date?

no one amongst you all arguing bother to answer this question
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by foyeks2001(f): 12:41pm On Feb 01, 2011
am sick and tired of civilian rule, i want back my military regime,
Democracy they say, is the government of the people, by the people and for the people, f truly dis Lamido wants to get peeps jailed, then he shud start with the media,

I hate democracy, politician keeps intimidating us with their looted and stolen money
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by eghost247(m): 12:46pm On Feb 01, 2011
Wow
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Mobinga: 12:53pm On Feb 01, 2011
Good for him. Silly. Some people just don't reason. He probably put his full name, address, phone number, school, and what not on his facebook page. I filled mine with absolutely false information, trying to change my name but the naming system rejects.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by hubreality(m): 12:54pm On Feb 01, 2011
Beaf:

Some people are really daft and don't realise that the exact same laws they are subject to on the streets govern the web as well. A Nigerian that supports child marriages or sodomy on the net can be jailed. If anyone threatens another on the web, the victim can seek legal action.

Many have been jailed, because they foolishly believe they can't be traced. People, except you are a clued up hacker, you can be traced very easily (sometimes to whithin a few metres of where you stand or to your exact street number). Information Technology is a frightful thing if you know how things work.

@beaf, you're absolutely right on that. I tell people this onlne all the time even here on NairaLand not to be abusive or insolent to others trying to make a point especially to people that are in authority because u think u are hiding under several fictious ids doesn't mean u can't be traced with recent innovations in technology. In fact, you can be traced even to ur typing fingers and ur teeth also unless u go 100% offline. Lol. Wise men don't insult people to make a point. Period!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by bidemi12(m): 12:58pm On Feb 01, 2011
Beaf:

UP beaf!!! Na wa for you. what if i decide to copy and paste all the insults you have vehemently disbursed to prominent nigerians on NL wetin you go talk? Would you defend so quickly if you were shackled for same? How quickly we forget. Anyway if this is true then we are in trouble.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by calddon(m): 1:04pm On Feb 01, 2011
foyeks2001:

am sick and tired of civilian rule, i want back my military regime,
Democracy they say, is the government of the people, by the people and for the people, f truly dis Lamido wants to get peeps jailed, then he shud start with the media,

I hate democracy, politician keeps intimidating us with their looted and stolen money
its called the Nigerian version of Democracy
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by violent(m): 1:09pm On Feb 01, 2011
Nigeria has adopted the Chinese style of governance. What next? Facebook might just be banned entirely across the country!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by kodewrita(m): 1:10pm On Feb 01, 2011
Pure stupidity. Please inform Governor Lamido that I (thanks Nairaland is so untraceable AT THE MOMENT) call him a total dunce and complete I%D%I%O%T for putting the man in jail. (to borrow words from my defeated Hon Obahiagbon)He is a distressed nincompoop{good thing the Nairabot has a lower vocab than Honourable Pat}.

We put buffoons in power who are more concerned with putting the electorate in jail than leading them.

Search on Google for "Obama is a" and see how many hateful results you will see.

thats not a reason to punish the guy.

Where's Gani? awwwwww!!! Rest in peace. {dont know what all these baby lawyers are doing self. not even one can stand up for the guy.}
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Gbawe: 1:12pm On Feb 01, 2011
usbcable:

no one amongst you all arguing bother to answer this question

Because we all intuitively know it is likely to be a typo error not worth commenting on . An obvious typo can't distract from the real events that should be discussed i.e the plight of a man in jail for insulting Governor Lamido.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 01, 2011
From the quoted article, the man was arrested and then remanded, and i lay it bare that those two are likely to be on the orders of the governor.
If you sue someone, they normally don't get arrested, instead, they are instructed via a court order to appear before a magistrate with their legal representatives, which should normally be the case in every civil action scenarios, such as slander!

This is just a Nigerian without the money or influence to fight his case.  Apparently, our courts require that a citizen has both, else, he might be behind bars for a very long time.

A classical animal farm story, in Nigeria, the governors are demi-gods who should never be insulted.  shior

If you report a case of slander to the authorities { Police } and they find your points valid should they not arrest whoever defames your character and charge him to court for same, if the crime is bailable you have the right to bail, if you cant bail yourself or get a lawyer to bail you out, is that the fault of the of the police or your accuser, if the case goes to court and the judge has reason to to remand you in prison, you have a lawyer----- appeal it, those governors and politicians are humans too. The fact that they are in authority is not the magna carter for any tom, manliness and harry to slander their images, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, are you against the judge who remanded him in prison or the governor who complained to the authorities for a crime against him.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 01, 2011
is this not the same sule lamido that was supporting gej?

i guess small minds think alike

are we in a democracy where people are entitled to free speech, or are we in north korea?

dude and hosni mubarak have a lot in common. typical gej supporter.

all thug and bully
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by violent(m): 1:30pm On Feb 01, 2011
babasoty:

If you report a case of slander to the authorities { Police } and they find your points valid should they not arrest whoever defames your character and charge him to court for same, if the crime is bailable you have the right to bail, if you cant bail yourself or get a lawyer to bail you out, is that the fault of the of the police or your accuser, if the case goes to court and the judge has reason to to remand you in prison, you have a lawyer----- appeal it, those governors and politicians are humans too. The fact that they are in authority is not the magna carter for any tom, manliness and harry to slander their images, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, are you against the judge who remanded him in prison or the governor who complained to the authorities for a crime against him.

The duties of the Police is not to always arrest! . . . .damn!  . . . . Nigerians!

what you do in a case of slander is to establish a civil action through your legal representatives in a court of law through a written petition.  The court then issues a summon to whatever party is involved to defend the claims of petition made against him.

In this case, the governor abused his office by  using the police force to intimidate the dude.  I suspect the dude, not knowing much about the laws of the federation and being unable to hire a lawyer is charged under a penal code that will ensure  that the Judge sees enough reason to remand him in prison.  And here is the catch, the guy's case might just be forgotten for another 8 years.  So much for insulting the governor.

and painfully, Nairalanders feel this is right, damn!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by dont8(m): 1:37pm On Feb 01, 2011
Who are this slowpoke called our leaders?
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by blacklion(m): 1:41pm On Feb 01, 2011
Slander is not a criminal offence. Its a civil matter i.e. defamation. The appropriate action for the governor is to sue the alleged perpetrator, not to mount a criminal prosecution.

This is a blatant violation of human rights. Obama is called all sorts of horrible names on a daily basis on American websites, on TV, at campaign rallies. Has any one been arrested or charged for insulting him?

Making threats of physical harm against a public office holder is very different from mere abuse. That one is a governor does not make him immune from personal insults or petty abusive words.

Na wa for some Nigerians. No wonder the dictatorship mentality is still deeply entrenched in many of us.
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by violent(m): 1:47pm On Feb 01, 2011
^^^

To tell you the truth, the opinions i get from this forum, seemingly denominated by educated folks, is largely surprising.  Little wonder the men in black whose call is to serve and protect continue to harass and intimidate Nigerians in their daily lives.  The educated ones of the society don't even know their rights.  You can imagine someone thinking it's right for the Police to arrest an individual just for the case of slander  shocked

should we also expect the police to arrest citizens whenever claims on patents are being made? damn!

a young man is being intimidated and people here think it is right, this is really disturbing!
Re: Na Wa For Naija Imagine Lamido’s Facebook Critic Remanded In Prison by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 01, 2011
violent:

Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak freely without censorship or limitation, or both.

If the Governor feels a case of slander has been committed against his person, the right thing he should do like any other law abiding Nigerian is to get his lawyer to sue the other party, NOT to use his influence to get him locked up!. . .They are two different things.

This is by no means a case of assault, and in all probability, i doubt the guy in question threatened the governor, why then is he locked up behind bars for making his opinion known on the web?

If it had been someone like Femi Otedola who said the same thing to the governor's face, would he have gotten him locked up as well?  This is just one of the many cases of[i] "i will show you who i am"[/i] mentality that is eating deep and causing rot in the Nigerian Judicial system, the rich and powerful have a different constitution from the poor and weak.  

. . . .and really, who cares if he's in the same league with Fashola in terms of "miracles". . .what is being established here is that he's abusing the powers and influence that comes with his office,  . .

silly governor, there, i said it!

Thanks a bunch. You've said it all. I mean, this is unbelievable! Slander is a civil offence, not criminal; and in any case even Obama himself is daily slaughtered on the internet by Americans, I don't know how many times we hear that he has filed a lawsuit against  any of his legion of 'slanderers', let alone send the all-powerful Secret Service after any of them. If the said individual threatened to assassinate him, fair enough, but to lock up a random guy who expressed random thoughts (however insulting) on the internet, is just an imbecilic and barbaric display of unclothed power. It demonstrates that the Jigawa governor is another uncivilized, megalomanic goat-herder who has no business in governance. Who the hell is he that he deems himself too important to be insulted by a dissatisfied citizen? Why not relinquish the governorship position and go and live a quiet life in your village with your loot if you don't want anybody to insult you? This empty delusion of grandeur by bumpkins in power in this country nauseates me to the point of convulsion.

I can't even believe that some misguided people here are supporting the bushman governor's recklessly low-minded witch hunt; a so-called governor that does not know his priorities. If he is really aware of the daunting developmental tasks on ground in his back-water, rustic, rural Jigawa state he would know better than to be channeling all his energy towards dealing with what is really a non-issue; insults my foot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"You're VISIONLESS If You Add No Value After 20 Months In Office" - Jonathan / 2019 Budget Is Built On A Very Shaky Foundation – Atiku Mock Buhari / Sagay: Buhari Has Recovered Over ₦1 Trillion Stolen Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.