Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,990 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

What I Said About Sharia - Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What I Said About Sharia - Buhari (4037 Views)

Forgive Me When I Said That APC Is An Islamic Party, It Was A Joke –ekwunife / No Room For Full Sharia Implementation In Nigeria – Buhari / Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by MaJBlige(f): 10:37am On Feb 01, 2011
Hearsay or He said:

A former military ruler of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, has called for the introduction of 'total' Islamic law across the country, reports said on Monday.

Buhari, who ruled Nigeria from a coup in December 1983 to his ouster in 1985, told a seminar in Kaduna, northern Nigeria, at the weekend that the strict Islamic law code known as the Sharia should be introduced in full across Nigeria.

"I will continue to show openly and inside me the total commitment to the Sharia movement that is sweeping all over Nigeria," Buhari said, quoted in press reports.

"God willing, we will not stop the agitation for the total implementation of the Sharia in the country," Buhari said.

Northern Nigeria is mainly Muslim but southern Nigeria is mainly Christian and has led criticism of the introduction of Islamic law in a dozen northern states in the past 18 months.

Africa's most populous country has been shaken repeatedly in the past by religious unrest. In February 2000 between 2 000 and 3 000 people were killed by Christian-Muslim riots in Kaduna over the introduction of Sharia.

Call for Sharia across the country

Buhari's comments were interpreted by the southern-based papers as a call for the imposition of Sharia all across the country, even in the mainly Christian south.

"Buhari calls for Sharia in all states," was the headline of the respected newspaper The Guardian.

Buhari's comments were defended by supporters as simply a call for the full implementation of Sharia in areas where Muslims predominated.

But the comments are the second by Buhari that have courted controversy after he called earlier this year for Muslims to vote at the next presidential elections only for someone who would defend their faith.

This was criticised by the press as a call for voting along religious lines, as well as an attack on the current president, Olusegun Obasanjo, who is a Christian.

Buhari made the latest comments at a seminar organised by the Supreme Council for Sharia in Nigeria, a newly set up body attended by northern state governments and Islamic scholars.

"It is a legal responsibility which God has given us, within the context of one Nigeria, to continue to uphold the practice of Sharia wholeheartedly , and to educate non-Muslims that they have nothing to fear," he said.

"What remains for Muslims in Nigeria is for them to redouble their efforts, educate Muslims on the need to promote the full implementation of Sharia law," he went on. - AFP
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by ShangoThor(m): 10:46am On Feb 01, 2011
source before I let rip?
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by Lagosboy: 10:53am On Feb 01, 2011
Poster,

Why not show some intelligence and stop repeating the old jargon that was posted by Beaf couple of weeks back. This alleged statement was in 2000, 11 years ago and you make it seem to be yesterday and moreso without any link. Buhari needs to make the holy ghost his deputy for peoplel like you to stop calling him a bigot.
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by Genbuhari3: 11:08am On Feb 01, 2011
M_J_Blige,

you will never change even if buhari confesses christ as his personal saviour. keep the propaganda. check Buhari's statement to you below:

'let them continue to say falsehood about me while i continue to say the truth about them'

what a wise one!

1 Like

Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by rasputinn(m): 11:45am On Feb 01, 2011
Lagosboy:

Poster,

Why not show some intelligence and stop repeating the old jargon that was posted by Beaf couple of weeks back. This alleged statement was in 2000, 11 years ago and you make it seem to be yesterday and moreso without any link. Buhari needs to make the holy ghost his deputy for peoplel like you to stop calling him a bigot.

Whether he said it 11 years ago or 110 years ago,has he made a volte face from that position?If you say yes,post the link cos I must have missed it
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by MaJBlige(f): 12:35pm On Feb 01, 2011
Lagosboy:

Poster,

Does it matter when he said it?
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by Muza(m): 1:06pm On Feb 01, 2011
ma j blige = beaf = feab = Nisman pls keep quiet
The only solution gor Nigeria now is BB2011
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by Lagosboy: 1:43pm On Feb 01, 2011
rasputinn:

Whether he said it 11 years ago or 110 years ago,has he made a volte face from that position?If you say yes,post the link cos I must have missed it

Have you seen a video or tape recording of this alleged statement? Buhari has deined it several times,he wrote a letter to all the bishops but people appear to only read what they want to hear. The reporter was a yoruba guy who doesnt speak hausa, the reporter was also not in Sokot when Buhari made that statement which all translates into falsheood.

A bigot would not pick a pastor as his running mate, It only takes a man with tremendous self confidence to do what he has done. Buhari Bakare ticket has my vote as against celeberated thieves GEJ and Sambo.
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by MaJBlige(f): 1:46pm On Feb 01, 2011
Lagosboy:

Have you seen a video or tape recording of this alleged statement? Buhari has deined it several times,he wrote a letter to all the bishops but people appear to only read what they want to hear. The reporter was a yoruba guy who doesnt speak hausa, the reporter was also not in Sokot when Buhari made that statement which all translates into falsheood.

A bigot would not pick a pastor as his running mate, It only takes a man with tremendous self confidence to do what he has done. Buhari Bakare ticket has my vote as against celeberated thieves GEJ and Sambo.

WE all know in Nigeria, it is the party that chooses the running mate. u forgot?
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by maga1: 3:06pm On Feb 01, 2011
(ma.j.blige, Beaf, faeb, nsiman) aka ima niboro of NL. Cant you just for once be realistic in life? You kip on posting what Buhari didnt say just to defame him. But guess what, we all know the truth & we are gonna give BB2011 our votes whether u like or not. By the way do we have a president in Nigeria? Pls i need ur answer asap.
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by MaJBlige(f): 3:10pm On Feb 01, 2011
^^^^

This is politics. We do not have to agree with each other. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Do you want me to reel out to you all the names GEJ is being called?

Dumb, clueless, daft, etc - and you just brought another one in - we dont have a President.

So - you dont want anything spoken or written against Buhari while you continue to cast aspersions on the office of the President occupied by GEJ?
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by kowade: 12:41pm On Feb 02, 2011
As for me and my household buhari/bakare got our votes no matter what is been said about them.
i simply cant comprehend why people are so resistant to change, buhari/bakare for now are the best in this presidential race.
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 02, 2011
Lagosboy:

Poster,

U shldn't be surprised bro. Ma_J_Blige na beaf girlfriend and na beaf computer she dey use
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by keally: 3:36pm On Apr 29, 2016
Lagosboy:
Poster,

What difference does it make that a pastor is his vice? Has figurehead Oshibanjo been able to get him to stop the genocidal cleansing of christian communities going on across the country by Islamic fulanimen, the latest being Taraba State? Buhari is the commander in chief and he calls the shot. Stop being a deceiver, Buhari is a tribalist and a fundamentalist, simple. Deal with it.
Re: What I Said About Sharia - Buhari by SleekAboki: 3:43pm On Apr 29, 2016
We are seriously in trouble in this country.

(1) (Reply)

Imo State Recovers 100 Vehicles 'stolen' By Former Public Officers / Daniel Can’t Return To Pdp –obasanjo / Jubilation In The North On Ojukwu's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.