Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,887 members, 7,802,860 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. (48568 Views)

Naira Gains ₦‎75 Against Dollar In A Single Day / Naira Continues Appreciating Against Dollar, Sell At ₦‎1,100 / ‘How CBN Can Track $26bn Binance Transactions’ - Obinna Iwuno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Islie: 1:35pm On Jul 03, 2020
How Central Bank Of Nigeria Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against United States Dollar

The apex bank, which has refused to disclose the exact foreign remittances it has received from 2016 to 2018, deliberately stocks the US dollars it receives on behalf of Nigerians to trade them off through crooked means.

One of the major reasons why the Central Bank of Nigeria has prevented financial institutions in the country from paying United States dollars to persons receiving money from friends and family members based overseas has been uncovered.

According to documents seen by SaharaReporters, the apex bank, which has refused to disclose the exact foreign remittances it has received from 2016 to 2018, deliberately stocks the US dollars it receives on behalf of Nigerians to trade them off through crooked means.

The CBN, it was gathered, was warehousing the dollar component of remittances in foreign banks, thereby making it impossible for the naira to appreciate against the dollar in the foreign exchange market.

Blowing the lid off this seeming goldmine for the CBN leadership, the Femi Falana chambers through Mrs Funmi Falana on February 10, 2020 wrote to the apex bank, demanding to know the accurate remittances for 2016, 2017 and 2018 respectively.

This request, according to the law firm, became necessary after it was discovered that the CBN had quoted a misleading figure in order to downplay the volume of money sent home by Nigerians in the Diaspora.

For instance, in February 2019, the Nigerian Government disclosed that the remittances received in the country in 2016, 2017 and 2018 were $19.6bn, $22bn and $25bn respectively.

However, the management of the Central Bank of Nigeria faulted the figures, going ahead to claim before the House of Representatives' Committee on Diaspora that contrary to the World Bank’s report, the official financial inflow was $2.6bn for 2018.

Therefore, to the clear the air on the matter, Falana chambers in the letter to the CBN said, “At the 2019 National Diaspora Day held at Abuja in July 2019, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, revealed that the remittances received by Nigeria stood at $19.6bn, $22bn and $25bn in 2016, 2017 and 2018.

“According to Mr Mustapha, ‘The money is currently utilised as social security funds to families (school fees, feeding allowances, hospital bills and so on). Some of it is invested in housing and estate development, hospital projects, schools and commercial enterprises but are not properly documented and analysed for impact.’

“Springing from the above statement from the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, we request to be furnished with the official figures of remittances received by Nigeria from the Diaspora for 2016, 2017 and 2018.

“Please be informed that this request is anchored on the Freedom of Information Act, 2010.”

But in a response to the request on June 29, 2020, more than four months after the seven days required by law for FoI requests to be responded to, the CBN in a letter signed by its Director of Corporate Secretariat, Mrs C.E Olonta, said it could not respond because the information sought was already on its website.

Further findings by SaharaReporters revealed that even though all remittances are recorded by the CBN on a daily basis, the management has refused to disclose the real figures.

“It is pertinent to let the public know that apart from hiding the fact that revenue from remittances are far more than oil revenue, all foreign aids and Foreign Direct Investment, the CBN wants to continue to sabotage the national economy through dubious regulations and that was why it banned banks and other foreign exchange dealers from paying foreign currencies to recipients of foreign remittances.

“Thus, by warehousing the dollar component of remittances in foreign banks, the CBN has made it impossible for the naira to appreciate against the dollar in the foreign exchange market.

“In view of the decision of the Federal Government to mobilise the huge diaspora remittances to serve as a catalyst for economic development in line with the provisions of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission Act, the CBN should be restrained from hoarding information on the money sent to the country by Nigerians living abroad,” a financial expert with deep knowledge of the fraud going on in the apex revealed.

https://saharareporters.com/2020/07/02/exposed-how-central-bank-nigeria-deliberately-prevents-naira-appreciating-against-united

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by omenka(m): 1:39pm On Jul 03, 2020
Sometimes, deliberately suppressing the rise of one's currency against the dollar is a strategy deployed by governments to attract FDIs. Nowhere else is this more entrenched than in China, which is one of the reasons behind their endless squabbles with Uncle Sam.

I am not really sure if similar strategy would augur well for Nigeria anyway, since the other factors necessary to attract such FDIs, such as dependable critical infrastructure, are lacking.

Come what may, I wish my dear country well. We'll come out of the current economic quagmire stronger I believe.

164 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by iaamxavier(m): 1:40pm On Jul 03, 2020
Fraud has eaten deep into our society

From The grass root to the top angry it's so bad that even the ones we ought to trust are the greatest perpetrator of this fraudulent activities

May God save this country
Or better still sell this country and share the money to us

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by codedguy1(m): 1:42pm On Jul 03, 2020
So where did the FG in person of Boss Musrapha get his figures from that the CBN is disputing it?

What exactly is the difference between FG and CBN grin

Soon the banks themselves will dispute both the FG and CBN figures.

We watch

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by softset: 1:56pm On Jul 03, 2020
No wonder lots of companies setting up remittance business especially in the USA. Rebtel whose primary business was strictly international phone card business is aggressively marketing its remittance business in USA.

This is an opportunity for entrepreneurs to look into the business.

But how can remittance revenue be more than oil? Am I missing something

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Trailblazer1(m): 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
In Nigeria, any institutional solution to a problem always ends up a bigger problem.

Check out Nigeria Police,

Check out SARS.

Check out EFCC

Check out Democracy

CBN has now joined the gang of saboteurs of our collective progress as a nation

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by lilprinze: 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
This present government led by mr integrity and APC, is the most corrupt and useless government in the history of this country.

88 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Itisallright: 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
I don't know why we're so selfish in Africa, most especially our leaders.....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Wuuworld(m): 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
There is nothing Joe Igbokwe wouldn't see in Lagos gutter.

34 Likes

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Artiiclebeast: 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
It is corruption galore everywhere you go in the country.

The same thing is playing out here in the power sector.

https://www.nairaland.com/5966530/true-story-behind-halt-electricity

Are you fed up with the status quo Nigeria is today? Join us here https://www.nairaland.com/5942435/nigerian-youths-lets-get-together Search and join our telegram group (nigerianyouthsaretired) pls retweet and follow

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Trailblazer1(m): 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
omenka:
Sometimes, deliberately suppressing the rise of one's currency against the dollar is a strategy deployed by governments to attract FDIs. Nowhere else is this more entrenched than in China, which is one of the reasons behind their endless squabbles with Uncle Sam.

I am not really sure if similar strategy would augur well for Nigeria anyway, since the other factors necessary to attract such FDIs, such as dependable critical infrastructure, are lacking.

Come what may, I wish my dear country well. We'll come out of the current economic quagmire stronger I believe.

You can even defend the devil against God shocked

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
This one is strong
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Truetalk3139: 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
Nigeria's corruption is intensional, to eradicate it firstly we need to vote youths into power.

Say no to the government of the old!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Houseofglam7(f): 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
undecided
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Rilwayne001: 5:50pm On Jul 03, 2020
Nawao
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by PureGoldh(m): 5:51pm On Jul 03, 2020
This peOple just wan use big grammar confuse people
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by DuBLINGreenb(m): 5:51pm On Jul 03, 2020
This writeup is not well researched and as such it is unclear and difficult to understand.

There may be some truth to the piece but it needs to be clearer

The Central Bank keep dollars and issue promisory notes or tell banks to give such and such person the naira equivalent of whatever dollar money was sent to him or if he wants dollar they'll tell the bank to give him or her the dollars the banks have while the CBN holds the dollar the sender sent in the USA this is to regulate the amount of dollars in Nigeria and prevent over dependence on dollar as well as too much dollars from entering Nigeria or too many Nigerians seeking dollars this helps give the naira the little value it has

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by OgbanjeProphet: 5:51pm On Jul 03, 2020
Ewoooooh!!!!!!!

Well, CBN died the day Soludo left office as CBN governor

Just the same way NAFDAC died the day Dora Akunyili left office as NAFDAC director general.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by OBAGADAFFI: 5:52pm On Jul 03, 2020
We knew this from 2015 when they implemented the capital controls and restrictions forex.

That event created the gap between the official rate and parallel market rate.

Today the truth is finally getting to us.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by OLDESTWARRIBOY: 5:52pm On Jul 03, 2020
If I tell ona say I understand anything for up there eh, make ona change my middle name.

Middle finger up for FG & CBN

kaydwutang:
Please I don't know how open a trade thread/Article here, may be some one should help me out and do so. This car was stolen at Awlaw in oji River local government of enugu state.Green Toyota Rav4 2003 model with registration number BM 888 AKD . Engine number 1AZ0795778. Chassis number JTEGH20V120072046 . Any body with useful information should contact Kenechukwu ( 08067048089)

Go car talk or any section then see below....hope they find it

7 Likes

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by dynicks(m): 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
I tire for the set of leaders existing in this very part of the globe.......them no fit kill me aswear...

Abeg mama nkechi,...u get fufu?...abeg arrange one plate pass give me ....uhmm..u fit still use your church mind add some collabos into it but know say I no hold enough money reach....just do it for me biko as your long time customer.....

Naija matter really tire person....ehe! Add hero join give me abeg....I go try pay u all next week

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Dididrumz(m): 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
Uhm
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Chanchit: 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
I'm sure governance is not rocket science. These leaders just enjoy it when its populace is in abject poverty.

4 Likes

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by IMO01: 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
Sharp

I didn't really understand the write up but if it's in the interest of Nigerians then they should go ahead.

I watched a video of audu ogbeh explaining how Nigeria began to fall from the 80's. He said some American professor from havard came to Nigeria to convince Nigerian government to devalue our currency that it was in our best interest to do that. Since then every year they force Nigeria to devalue our currency and increase interest rate. These nation's want Nigeria to fail for their own selfish gain yet nobody talk about the scam America scam on African nations

10 Likes

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Brushstrokes20: 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
The shithole is a lost cause!
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by mycar: 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
Truth I must say, they go behind and sell to people at a high price and still pay salary in naira
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Stewart883(m): 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
omenka:

You're talking nonsense!!

5 Likes

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by princealexndre(m): 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
No be today that one Dey Happen, Okay wait let’s ask ourselves this Question, If In 1983 #830 (naira)is equal to $1000+, How come now in 2020 just $1 is #390(naira).. what happened to the Figures, what happened to our Naira, it’s crystal clear that the system is jeopardized, Every Goverment has Stolen Enough and it has afftected the Numbers.. we have to wake up in Nigeria
Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by nitt: 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
How this government accused GEJ, SAMBO DASUKI & CO of varying financial scandals and misappropriation without holding this EMEFIELE is the 100th wonder of the world.

He has been exposed in round tripping, colluding with some close associates of the President to sell dollars at black market rates.

He has dodged the Arms scandal to which millions of dollars were moved under the past administration.

He has been exposed in underground job racketeering in the CBN especially to children of politicians, generals and family and friends.

Infact, i think his babalawo must be really powerful to have resisted and kept his position from the PDP to the APC governments.

I Hail o ...Oga CBN Governor

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by sonnie10: 5:53pm On Jul 03, 2020
This one na wash! I have never seen anyone that would spit out honey from his mouth.
And don't get me started with devaluation (currency manipulation) in China and most Asian countries. Those ones do it to have competitive advantage because they are mostly manufacturers and wants more market share from export.

4 Likes

Re: How CBN Deliberately Prevents Naira From Appreciating Against Dollar - Sahara R. by Lyoncrescent: 5:54pm On Jul 03, 2020
Late Henry boyo said this in a different variant many times but nothing was done. You can search for some of his views on YouTube or punch newspaper

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obituary: Chief Udala Philip Ekwosi Burial Poster (Photos) / Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! / Guess The Bank (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.