Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,724 members, 7,805,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React (1360 Views)

Anxiety Grips PDP Chieftains Over Buhari’s Extradition Plan / Nigeria Masses Must protest against PDP. Buhari Anti-Corruption war must succeed / Anxiety Grips Delta As Tribunal Decides Okowa's Fate In 48 Hours. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Orikinla(m): 2:09pm On Feb 01, 2011
As Prof. John Oshodi has analyzed in the following article on the premonition of a popular political revolution in Nigeria as the masses are revolting against oppressive regimes in Tunisia and Egypt, I know that our own revolution will be live on the CNN.

~ The Publisher/Editor

As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, the Nigerian Masses of Different Ethnic and Religious Backgrounds Must React With Supportive and Peaceful Expressions

As peaceful uprising fills the air of Africa, the days and weeks ahead could pose questions for other near and far countries in the continent, and underneath the turmoil are traces of corruption, unemployment, underemployment, brutality, dangerousness and lawlessness.

These painful factors remain realistic and vivid in the hearts of ordinary Nigerians, and these are tests for the power-that-be, who find themselves constantly being suspicious of each other, cruel to each other, killing each other, bribing each other, mis-educating each other, lying to each other and pilfering from each other.

These daunting and never-ending forces and pressures on the people have in the last decade created gross societal and institutional neglect as evidenced in squandered treasury, deadly roads, school mismanagement, oil exploitation, inadequate healthcare, rampant violence, electric supply instability, poor policing, and other misguided institutions.

Nigeria has become a country where accountability, transparency, objectivity and high standards in governmental and private practices are almost void, and leadership is defined in fragility due to being accountable mainly to godfathers/godmothers rather to the people.

These signs of institutional tensions should bring the people together in spite of their regional, socio-economic, ethnic and religious differences, and help create a peaceful uprising, protest and revolution. It now appears that the people have in the process internalized these leadership problems and tensions, and as a consequence are turning against each other, resulting in peculiar or abnormal practices as in kidnapping, religious violence, family brutality, cult slaying, ethnic strain, cash laundering, and general insecurities.

The painful and recent history of poor law and order, and the shaky political/economic insecurity, which mainly threatens the lives of ordinary Nigerians, the students, market women and struggling workers especially, makes it proper for a revolution which must be constructive and peaceful with a focus on provoking positive change.

The Nigerian people are known for just wanting to live their lives, and as we all know rallies, protests and outcry for social justice have not traditionally been a part of their collective or individual psyche. So the desire to spontaneously express and peacefully lash out against spoiled Nigerian leadership will not be easy to reveal itself.

But what is clear is that the signs to anticipate popular outcry for change appears to around the corner, and as the April elections draw near the people will be justified to demand for their right and freedom through a participatory, responsive and God-fearing democracy.

A national unity among demonstrators will have more power if good-faith Nigerians in the Diaspora, in America particularly, tell those at home that help is on the way, and actually go home, and present a show of collective force against leadership who need to be held to higher standards.

As we all know April, May, and June are fast coming and the world is watching as to when change will be in the air in Nigeria!

~ By John Egbeazien Oshodi, Ph.D , DABPS, FACFE, is a Forensic/Clinical Psychologist and an Assistant Professor of Psychology and Behavioral Science, North Campus, Broward College, Coconut Creek, Florida. joshodi@broward.edu
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by xammy(m): 2:25pm On Feb 01, 2011
morocco is next follow by Nigeria in 2029
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Feb 01, 2011
Nigeria ke? lol
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Fhemmmy: 3:14pm On Feb 01, 2011
Nigerians too love life.
that was the reason behind the song "Suffering and Smiling"
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by johndoe200: 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2011
Another Yoruba man preaching revolution to my people while their is no difference to us between himself and the so called oppressors.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 01, 2011
Based on our cultural and religious differences, Nigeria is one place were such revolution will not succeed!

Tunisia, Egypt and other arab countries that will follow suite will succeed because they have one major ethnic language, one religion and similar mindset. The politicians knows this hence they are not perturbed by the crisis.

The only option that can work very well for Nigeria is the Sudanese option - A REFERENDUM -
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by bgees(m): 5:19am On Feb 02, 2011
It can never happen in Nigeria. Too many corrupt people and that inbred corruption will spoil the cause.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Chyz2: 5:26am On Feb 02, 2011
greateros:

Based on our cultural and religious differences, Nigeria is one place were such revolution will not succeed!

Tunisia, Egypt and other arab countries that will follow suite will succeed because they have one major ethnic language, one religion and similar mindset. The politicians knows this hence they are not perturbed by the crisis.

The only option that can work very well for Nigeria is the Sudanese option - A REFERENDUM -

Very true.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by otokx(m): 7:08am On Feb 02, 2011
impossibility
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by EzeUche2(m): 7:12am On Feb 02, 2011
Nigeria is most likely to have a Civil War or ethnic insurrection than a mass protest.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by udezue(m): 7:47am On Feb 02, 2011
Its a just a dream that will hardly ever happen. Highly impossible so let's just do the Sudanese thing and quit deceiving ourselves.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Jen33(m): 8:00am On Feb 02, 2011
bgees said:

It can never happen in Nigeria. Too many corrupt people and that inbred corruption will spoil the cause.

Dude, Egypt is just as 'corrupt' as Nigeria, if not more. The people there just have more binding them together in terms of ethnicity, language and religion, and so can unify for this sort of action with less stress and mutual suspicion than in Nigeria.

Also, the idea that it is ''impossible'' in Nigeria is wildly presumptuous. Most Egyptians who lived under Mubarak's iron fist for the last 30 years also believed this sort of mass revolt was ''impossible''.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by EzeUche2(m): 8:05am On Feb 02, 2011
Jen33:

bgees said:

Dude, Egypt is just as 'corrupt' as Nigeria, if not more. The people there just have more binding them together in terms of ethnicity, language and religion, and so can unify for this sort of action with less stress and mutual suspicion than in Nigeria.

Also, the idea that it is ''impossible'' in Nigeria is wildly presumptuous. Most Egyptians who lived under Mubarak's iron fist for the last 30 years also believed this sort of mass revolt was ''impossible''.

It is IMPOSSIBLE in Nigeria, because of the ethnic rivalries that play out in our political processes. Most Nigerians are more loyal to their ethnicity, than the Nigerian state. Egyptians on the other hand are very nationalistic and they have a common identity, in which most Egyptians are of "Arab" descent, follow the same religion and speak the same language. Nigeria does not have that luxury.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Elswagnifico: 8:14am On Feb 02, 2011
Shebi una know say nigerian police no get rubber bullet,me i neva ready to die.i neva acheive wetin i wan achieve for dis life.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Ikengawo: 8:19am On Feb 02, 2011
reading you people's posts and understanding of life leaves me to wondering what the average IQ is in nigeria,
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Jen33(m): 8:20am On Feb 02, 2011
Ezeuche said:

It is IMPOSSIBLE in Nigeria, because of the ethnic rivalries that play out in our political processes. Most Nigerians are more loyal to their ethnicity, than the Nigerian state. Egyptians on the other hand are very nationalistic and they have a common identity, in which most Egyptians are of "Arab" descent, follow the same religion and speak the same language. Nigeria does not have that luxury

My friend stop talking garbage. You do NOT know what is ''impossible'' in Nigeria. Where were the ''nationalistic'' Egyptians for the past 30 years??

How do you know that if Nigeria had similarly been subjected to a brutal 30 year long dictatorship, that the people would not have risen up IN UNISON to demand an end to the oppression?
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Ikengawo: 8:21am On Feb 02, 2011
It is IMPOSSIBLE in Nigeria, because of the ethnic rivalries that play out in our political processes. Most Nigerians are more loyal to their ethnicity, than the Nigerian state. Egyptians on the other hand are very nationalistic and they have a common identity, in which most Egyptians are of "Arab" descent, follow the same religion and speak the same language. Nigeria does not have that luxury.
Exactly what would nigerians be protesting? GEJ being in power for 6 months?

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SO EMBARRASSING?
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by EzeUche2(m): 8:23am On Feb 02, 2011
Ikengawo:

Exactly what would nigerians be protesting? GEJ being in power for 6 months?

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE SO EMBARRASSING?

Why are you quoting my post? Read my statement carefully before you comment, because it seems like you do not understand English. Maybe I should write in Igbo for you to understand.

Actually, Nigerians need to protest, because the government is not beholden to the people. Look at the spending spree that GEJ went on and you say Nigerians do not need to protest? No wonder Nigeria is the way it is, because people like you have no creativity and enjoy the status-quo.

You are embarrassing yourself, by making idiotic statements.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Ikengawo: 8:25am On Feb 02, 2011
My friend stop talking garbage. You do NOT know what is ''impossible'' in Nigeria. Where were the ''nationalistic'' Egyptians for the past 30 years?Huh

How do you know that if Nigeria had similarly been subjected to a brutal 30 year long dictatorship, that the people would not have risen up IN UNISON to demand an end to the oppression?
you're very smart.

Nigerians rose in unison to fight against colonialism. all ethnicities except the igbo were in unison for fighting for a united nigeria and even at that the Nnamdi Azikiwe was still fighting for a united Nigeria.

Anything that happens outside of Nigeria confuses nigerians and makes them question their self-esteem.
If ghana makes a movie, or egypt falls into total chaos in a fight to have what nigeria already has, we start wondering why we haven't split.

this irrational thinking is why Nigeria is f'd up.

you're on point though Jen.

Nigerians haven't rose 'in unison' because they [size=40pt]HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE[/size]

you defunct, pathetic people

[size=40pt]YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE[/size]
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by EzeUche2(m): 8:26am On Feb 02, 2011
^^^

Disrupting a thread with large lettering does not mean you are right. I guess you haven't realized that by now.  grin

If you want to battle me intellectually, you better come correct, because when I am not playing around; I will have your head spinning.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Ikengawo: 8:30am On Feb 02, 2011
Why are you quoting my post? Read my statement carefully before you comment, because it seems like you do not understand English. Maybe I should write in Igbo for you to understand.

Actually, Nigerians need to protest, because the government is not beholden to the people. Look at the spending spree that GEJ went on and you say Nigerians do not need to protest? No wonder Nigeria is the way it is, because people like you have no creativity.

You are embarrassing yourself, by making idiotic statements.

Behold to who? the Nigerian people don't pay taxes
the nigerian people don't follow laws

if you put a line in the middle of a road to seperate traffic nigerians will drive right on that line.
if a nigerian fails a test we will bribe his teacher

so with the nigerian government having one the the worlds best sets of legislation and the nigerian people refusing to follow it to the point that THEY DONT EVEN PAY TAXES, what is it that you're doing to behold?

In america if you don't pay taxes you'll be in prison.
americans get MAD at the government for messing up because they're messing up THEIR hard earned money

you guys have oil that you didn't make, didn't discover and don't exploit flowing from the ground and suddenly you want to call the politicians thieves for taking the money it makes as if you ACTUALLY had anything to do with the oil?

produce something and follow a law, then come complain.

Nigerians are like loiters in a eatery that are complaining that they don't get free food and want every table to be it's own resturant cause that will somehow get them free food. smh
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Ikengawo: 8:34am On Feb 02, 2011
^^^

Disrupting a thread with large lettering does not mean you are right. I guess you haven't realized that by now. Grin

If you want to battle me intellectually, you better come correct, because when I am not playing around; I will have your head spinning.

what?

anyways Nigerians also hate finding the CAUSE of problems. they just know how to blab about problems and seldom offer solutions, participate in solutions, or assess a situation.

to think Nigeria, a democracy, as flawed as it is, if legislatively comparative to Egypt, a country who's people have LITERALLY had no say in their governance for, i kid you not, look up the facts, 4 thousand years, is pathetic and embarrassing.

AT LEAST give your selves credit for having rights.
for having the right to say what you want in nigeria
for having the right to vote for your leaders
for having the right to participate in your legislative system

AT LEAST.

Egyptians are mad because THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS IN THEIR OWN HOMES.

NONE. They're SLAVES.
You're NOT.

they're not protesting because the government isn't giving them 'oil money', they're protesting because their SLAVES, they're PROPERTY of their government. their BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS aren't being heard.

Nigerians want Nigeria to split into, i kid you not, 250 countries (wow), because they throw their trash outside with reckless abandon and are mad the government doesn't pick it up cause now their cities are dirty. smfh.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by EzeUche2(m): 8:37am On Feb 02, 2011
Ikengawo:

Behold to who? the Nigerian people don't pay taxes
the nigerian people don't follow laws

if you put a line in the middle of a road to seperate traffic nigerians will drive right on that line.
if a nigerian fails a test we will bribe his teacher

so with the nigerian government having one the the worlds best sets of legislation and the nigerian people refusing to follow it to the point that THEY DONT EVEN PAY TAXES, what is it that you're doing to behold?

In america if you don't pay taxes you'll be in prison.
americans get MAD at the government for messing up because they're messing up THEIR hard earned money

you guys have oil that you didn't make, didn't discover and don't exploit flowing from the ground and suddenly you want to call the politicians thieves for taking the money it makes as if you ACTUALLY had anything to do with the oil?

produce something and follow a law, then come complain.

Nigerians are like loiters in a eatery that are complaining that they don't get free food and want every table to be it's own resturant cause that will somehow get them free food. smh

Your whole statement is similar to the views of an authoritarian/totalitarian state. I am surprised that someone would write that nonsense. Therefore, I guess you support the status-quo? BTW, it is never good to blame the people. When you do that, you are setting yourself up for failure

The Nigerian state gains most of its revenue from oil, which allows the Nigerian state to not collect taxes. However, the government doesn't use the oil revenue wisely to help create a stronger country. They do not invest in infrastructure, human capital, or even in our economy.

There is something morally wrong when only 1% of the nation is able to benefit from the oil revenue, while most of the nation lives on $1 a day.

Governments are suppose to represent the people and work on behalf of the people. Get that nonsense out of your mind. People are NOT suppose to work on behalf of the government. The Nigerian state is suppose to get their legitimacy from the Nigerian people, not the other way around. Do you understand what I am trying to say?
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Ikengawo: 8:48am On Feb 02, 2011
Your whole statement is similar to the views of an authoritarian/totalitarian state. I am surprised that someone would write that nonsense. Therefore, I guess you support the status-quo? BTW, it is never good to blame the people. When you do that, you are setting yourself up for failure

The Nigerian state gains most of its revenue from oil, which allows the Nigerian state to not collect taxes. However, the government doesn't use the oil revenue wisely to help create a stronger country. They do not invest in infrastructure, human capital, or even in our economy.

There is something morally wrong when only 1% of the nation is able to benefit from the oil revenue, while most of the nation lives on $1 a day.

Governments are suppose to represent the people and work on behalf of the people. Get that nonsense out of your mind. People are NOT suppose to work on behalf of the government. The Nigerian state is suppose to get their legitimacy from the Nigerian people, not the other way around. Do you understand what I am trying to say?

I don't support the status quo, i also not ignorant to facts.

fact: the problem with nigeria isn't the nigerian government, it's nigerian people. the only reason the nigerian government is horrible is because it's full of nigerian people.

we need cultural and moral change. IF we overthrow the 'oppressive mubararak like GEJ' we will most likely replace him with an unscrupulous megalomanic because our country produces those 24/7

Nigeria has had TONS of overthrows, but one corrupt psycho was replaced with another corrupt psycho because EVERYONE in the country participates in bribery and excessive materialism, so when did the nigerian government START being the problem?
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by EzeUche2(m): 8:56am On Feb 02, 2011
Ikengawo:

I don't support the status quo, i also not ignorant to facts.

fact: the problem with nigeria isn't the nigerian government, it's nigerian people. the only reason the nigerian government is horrible is because it's full of nigerian people.

we need cultural and moral change. IF we overthrow the 'oppressive mubararak like GEJ' we will most likely replace him with an unscrupulous megalomanic because our country produces those 24/7

Nigeria has had TONS of overthrows, but one corrupt psycho was replaced with another corrupt psycho because EVERYONE in the country participates in bribery and excessive materialism, so when did the nigerian government START being the problem?

You keep on saying it is the fact, but it is actually your OPINION. Stop passing on your OPINIONS as facts.

The Nigerian state has always been corrupt. Even from its foundations, the Nigerian state was corrupt to the core. Saying that Nigeria is corrupt is not a recent phenomenon. People have been saying it since the 60s.

However, I will not blame the people for Nigeria's ills. That is a simplistic approach without recognizing other factors. that continue to erode the Nigerian state.

There is nothing wrong with the "Nigerian" people. I do not want to digress from this discussion, but I can think of other factors such as the colonial legacy, the coercive state apparatus and other factors that cause Nigeria not to progress.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Ikengawo: 8:57am On Feb 02, 2011
i don't want to hear about oil revenue, what first world country is rich from oil revenue? Sweden or England?

they're rich because their PEOPLE build FACTORIES and invest in AGRICULTURE.
Nigerians build CONTAINERS and import what their FACTORIES and AGRICULTURE produce.

oil flows from the ground, nobody owns it, it's not your 'right' to get oil money, what 1% of the American population benefits from oil money?

to make it worst 1% of the nigerian population pay taxes.

If every Nigerian payed 20 dollars a month that would produce government revenue of 3,000,000,000 (roughly) every month. 36,000,000,000 annually, PLUS 27,000,000,000 from oil revenue. 63,000,000,000 to BUILD A NATION (math isn't my strong suit everything is in rough but realistic estimates)

THATS a government. as we stand we produce 1/5 the oil saudi arabia does and have to use it to feed 3x the population saudi arabia has. the nigerian government can't afford you freeloaders. on top of that when they give contracts to nigerian companies the companies take the money and run to america (contractor corruption is constantly called 'government corruption', but they're different and equally common)

PAY TAXES. stop being ignorant and lazy
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Ikengawo: 9:02am On Feb 02, 2011
You keep on saying it is the fact, but it is actually your OPINION. Stop passing on your OPINIONS as facts.

The Nigerian state has always been corrupt. Even from its foundations, the Nigerian state was corrupt to the core. Saying that Nigeria is corrupt is not a recent phenomenon. People have been saying it since the 60s.

However, I will not blame the people for Nigeria's ills. That is a simplistic approach without recognizing other factors. that continue to erode the Nigerian state.

There is nothing wrong with the "Nigerian" people. I do not want to digress from this discussion, but I can think of other factors such as the colonial legacy, the coercive state apparatus and other factors that cause Nigeria not to progress.

ok, here's another example.

if it's not the people then explain this website.

a site full of nigerians.
the result?

chaotic
everyone is fighting and insulting everyone
moderators literally give you no means of communicating with them
moverators don't regulate ANYTHING
the only set of followed laws are childish filters against curse words, but if i said "IGBO WOMEN SHOULD ALL DIE" it'll be around to post again.

90% of the problems in the country the posters believe creating a Benin Republic will solve them.

they're no rule, nobody following what's supposed to be the rule, and no punishment for those that don't follow it.
just people complaining and fighting and discussing tribes when tribes have nothing to do with the subject.

a cup full of bleach is poisonous because it's a cup full of poison.

i love nigeria, but i can't STAND nigerians.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by EzeUche2(m): 9:14am On Feb 02, 2011
Ikengawo:

i don't want to hear about oil revenue, what first world country is rich from oil revenue? Sweden or England?

they're rich because their PEOPLE build FACTORIES and invest in AGRICULTURE.
Nigerians build CONTAINERS and import what their FACTORIES and AGRICULTURE produce.

oil flows from the ground, nobody owns it, it's not your 'right' to get oil money, what 1% of the American population benefits from oil money?

to make it worst 1% of the nigerian population pay taxes.

If every Nigerian payed 20 dollars a month that would produce government revenue of 3,000,000,000 (roughly) every month. 36,000,000,000 annually, PLUS 27,000,000,000 from oil revenue. 63,000,000,000 to BUILD A NATION (math isn't my strong suit everything is in rough but realistic estimates)

THATS a government. as we stand we produce 1/5 the oil saudi arabia does and have to use it to feed 3x the population saudi arabia has. the nigerian government can't afford you freeloaders. on top of that when they give contracts to nigerian companies the companies take the money and run to america (contractor corruption is constantly called 'government corruption', but they're different and equally common)

PAY TAXES. stop being ignorant and lazy

The wealthy nations are rich, because they INVEST in their citizens. If you go to Japan, UK and even the U.S., these nations invest in infrastructure, provide subsidies for their farmers, subsidize education, and even provide at least rudimentary health care.

What does Nigeria do? Nothing. . .

When Nigeria starts investing in its citizens, then the nation may truly become great. However, I doubt that will ever happen. A nation that does not invest in its people, is bound to fail.

And you say the people build factories in these nations. Yes, that is true, but they also do it with their government's assistance. I guess you haven't realized that haven't you?

Yes, someone does own the oil. If your people have been living on the land for hundreds of years, the resources of that land belong to you. That is what we call PRIVATE PROPERTY. If oil is found underneath my house in the United States, do you know who owns the oil? I own the oil, and I can control what to do with that oil, because I own the land. Do you understand?
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by Jen33(m): 12:26pm On Feb 02, 2011
Ezeuche said:

Stop talking rubbish. Far more than ''1%'' of the nation benefit from the oil revenue. Where do you think all that money came from to build 100 universities, thousands of public primary and secondary schools, roads, bridges, flyovers etc etc all over the country? Was it your money? Have you paid even 1 day's tax in your entire life?

And NO, ''most of the nation'' does NOT live on ''$1 a day''. Not even the poorest village farmer or palm wine tapper lives on that amount in real terms.  How much is a plate of eba and egusi in Washington or New York? Is it not at least $20?

The overwhelming majority of Nigerians eat at least THAT every day, not to mention other expenditure on transport clothing etc, so your $1 a day figure is highly dubious, misleading, and inaccurate.
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by DeeJay20: 12:42pm On Feb 02, 2011
Jen33:

Ezeuche said:

Stop talking rubbish. Far more than ''1%'' of the nation benefit from the oil revenue. Where do you think all that money came from to build 100 universities, thousands of public primary and secondary schools, roads, bridges, flyovers etc etc all over the country? Was it your money? Have you paid even 1 day's tax in your entire life?

And NO, ''most of the nation'' does NOT live on ''$1 a day''. Not even the poorest village farmer or palm wine tapper lives on that amount in real terms.  How much is a plate of eba and egusi in Washington or New York? Is it not at least $20?

The overwhelming majority of Nigerians eat at least THAT every day, not to mention other expenditure on transport clothing etc, so your $1 a day figure is highly dubious, misleading, and inaccurate.

Dude your right. you hit the nail on the head!!! Anybody trying to counter
your point is not looking at it correctly,
Naija Govt even has fuel subsidy to keep the price low,
Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by 21052011: 2:45pm On Feb 02, 2011
we need to split
enough of this sham called Nigeria

greateros:

Re: As Revolutionary Anxiety Grips Africa, The Nigerian Masses Must React by EzeUche2(m): 2:58pm On Feb 02, 2011
Jen33:

Ezeuche said:

What are you talking about? In Nigeria, 70% of people live below the poverty line. Is that something to be proud of? The common international poverty line has in the past been roughly $1 a day. And the poverty line is the minimum level of income deemed necessary to achieve an adequate standard of living in a given country.

I think I should know what I am talking, because I have been studying poverty incidences in Africa, for quite some time.

The GDP per capita also known as PPP is a mere $2,400 and this ranks 183 in the world in comparison to other countries.

To go more into detail, 92% of Nigerians live on  less than $2 daily, while about 71% survive on less than $1 daily. This is a fact. I am not making this information up. Research and studies have shown that most Nigerians are impoverished. Go to the rural areas of the Niger Delta, South-East, South-West and especially the North and you will understand what I am talking about. It is not hard to comprehend this fact.

If you do not believe me, you can also check out the CIA World Factbook, which does a wonderful job gaining information on different nations.

Development wise, nothing has changed in Nigeria and we all know this. People need to stop denying this fact. Look at the deplorable state that the roads or in. And do not let me get started on our electricity woes.

Most of Nigeria's poverty alleviation programmes, which receive billions of naira in grants and allocation, are actually direct transfers of cash to politically selected beneficiaries.

The generality of Nigerians continue to wallow in abject poverty, however a privileged few like yourselves are doing well.

I can keep going and going concerning the economic woes of Nigeria. It is not hard to see. Even a person who is not trained in economics can notice Nigeria's problems. However, to those who want to question my statistics, maybe you should prove me wrong with sources that say otherwise, instead of saying you are wrong.

In the academic world, you come back with facts to dispute a person, simply saying he is wrong does not cut it in this world.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I’ll Step Down For A Northern Candidate - Ribadu / Anti Corruption Battle Set To Gather Steam As Farida Waziri To Be Eased Out. / Breaking News:nigeria Govt Order Telcos 2 Shut Down Blackberry Messenger Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.