Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire (38859 Views)

Master Energy Filling Station Umuahia, Gutted By Fire (Photos, Video) / Fire Razes Marian Market In Calabar, Cross River State (Photos) / Fire Destroys 50 Shops In Watt Market, Calabar (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Obio4real(m): 12:53pm On Jul 04, 2020
Tears As Calabar Second Largest Market, Marian Market Is Gutted By Fire

The Watermelon Park and its surrounding shops at a popular and second largest market in Calabar, Eka Eka Oqua Market aka Marian Market was on Friday night, July 3, 2020 gutted by fire.

Grassroot Reporters' correspondent who was at the scene of the incident at about 9:15pm said men of the state or federal fire service were not on ground to put off the fire. The traders who were in tears and some youths in the area made frantic effort to put off the fire to no avail.

When Grassroot Reporters visited the scene of the incident on Saturday morning, the traders who looked devastated were seen picking the remains of their caravans.

An eyewitness said the fire started at about 8:10pm on Friday. He said the cause of the fire is believed to an electrical fault from one of the shops.

Speaking with Grassroot Reporters, one of the traders whose son's shop was completely razed, Mrs. Obot Jack wept uncontrollably, recounting the loses his son has incurred as a result of the fire incident.

She said: "This shop belongs to my son. Yesterday he was not around. It was around 8:30pm that one of my cousins that lives around there called me and asked me where my son is and I told her my son is not around. She shouted and told me to rush to my son's shop, that all the shops around Watermelon Park have been gutted by fire.

" I rushed there with one of my sons but when we got there, the flames of the fire could not allow us to enter there.

"We called the State Fire Service but they refused to come, saying they're waiting for orders from higher authority. But the Nigeria Air Force came with their fire fighting van but it was already late as at the time they arrived as all the shops had been razed down. The boys around tried to use water to quench the raging fire but it was fruitless.

She called on government to come to their aid:

" I am calling on the government to come to our aid because we do not have other means of livelihood especially at this period of Covid-19. My son was using this shop to train himself in school; now that the shop has been gutted by fire, his education is at stake". She lamented.

Just like Mrs. Jack, Tom Ability, a shop owner whose shop and goods has been razed to ashes could not control his tears as he watched his shop in flames.

He said: "This is the only shop I have. I couldn't get anything out of the shop, everything razed down. I am calling on the federal and state government to come to our rescue. Right now, I'm confused because I don't have any other means of survival".

Source: https://www.grassrootreportersng.com/2020/07/tears-as-part-of-calabar-second-biggest.html?m=1

4 Likes

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Obio4real(m): 12:55pm On Jul 04, 2020
More pictures

1 Share

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 04, 2020
When the righteous are in power the people rejoiced but when the wicked, heartless and animals in human flesh are in power, tears and sorrows everywhere, my prayers for those affected, may my Able God be their comforter, IT'S WELL

61 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Lubumbashi: 1:08pm On Jul 04, 2020
"They called the state fire service but they refused to come saying that they were waiting for orders from higher authority".

Is Gov Ayade aware of what is going on in his state?

107 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by GavelSlam: 1:13pm On Jul 04, 2020
This is painful to see.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by GOFRONT(m): 1:20pm On Jul 04, 2020
Chaiiii

Pls when will a section of the Federal secretariat Abuja and CBN abuja catch fire??

Abi nobody don chop yam from there to burn documents and cover traces??

5 Likes

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Obio4real(m): 1:28pm On Jul 04, 2020
Lubumbashi:
"They called the state fire service but they refused to come saying that they were waiting for orders from higher authority".

Is Gov Ayade aware of what is going on in his state?
Ask his chief press secretary oo

1 Like

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Obio4real(m): 1:29pm On Jul 04, 2020
Amen
Kingscee:
When the righteous are in power the people rejoiced but when the wicked, heartless and animals in human flesh are in power, tears and sorrows everywhere, my prayers for those affected, may my Able God be their comforter, IT'S WELL

1 Like

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Obio4real(m): 1:30pm On Jul 04, 2020
GOFRONT:
Chaiiii

Pls when will a section of the Federal secretariat Abuja and CBN abuja catch fire??

Abi nobody don chop yam from there to burn documents and cover traces??
lol
Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Obio4real(m): 1:30pm On Jul 04, 2020
GavelSlam:
This is painful to see.

very very

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by OLDESTWARRIBOY: 4:51pm On Jul 04, 2020
Na wa o..person go just wake up...all means of Livelihood dn burn

God help us o
I pity that woman for the first pic

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by adekzy: 4:51pm On Jul 04, 2020
5th Market burning this year alone.

1 Like

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Raypawer(m): 4:52pm On Jul 04, 2020
Sad, during these trying times? God help them! See the woman in the first picture crying cry cry

Watermelon Park..

1 Like

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by BuhariNaWah: 4:52pm On Jul 04, 2020
Who dey put faya for all these markets sef?

The guy below me, talk am make devil shame.... Buhari na wah o

1 Like

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by sanemind4(m): 4:52pm On Jul 04, 2020
Na wa oh,my condolences
Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by bigeliot(m): 4:53pm On Jul 04, 2020
Dis fire no dey reach north? Something is not right

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by JONNYSPUTE(m): 4:54pm On Jul 04, 2020
Kingscee:
....God does not answer prayers from hypochrites like you who doesn't have respect for other people parents.

Think.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Raypawer(m): 4:56pm On Jul 04, 2020
lol.. shocked

bigeliot:
Dis fire no dey reach north? Something is not right

2 Likes

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Sultty(m): 4:56pm On Jul 04, 2020
What?!!!! Like wtf this is what some of them have worked a large part of their lives acquiring all gone with d flame shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 04, 2020
Sherrt! This is something else, fire and financial greed always moving together..... So sad
Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Tapout(m): 4:56pm On Jul 04, 2020
the lady in the first picture tho... cry cry
I don't get, what do they mean by waiting orders from a higher authority in an emergency situation?? undecided or the state does not have a functional fire service?? that's just crazy!

16 Likes

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by speedchariot(m): 4:57pm On Jul 04, 2020
Fire caused by 'Okon come tap light from Akaniyere shop.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by temmytee2309: 4:57pm On Jul 04, 2020
May God help us all.... for this covid 19 period?
Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by SAMBARRY: 4:57pm On Jul 04, 2020
Haaa shocked

Inside this covid?

Olorun masanu awa Omo eniluyi o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by doggedfighter(f): 4:58pm On Jul 04, 2020
So many questions on their minds.

Sad cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by GavelSlam: 4:59pm On Jul 04, 2020
speedchariot:
Fire caused by 'Okon come tap light from Akaniyere shop.

Usually the case.

Nigerians would contravene all guidelines made for their safety and coexistence then cry unto God when the consequences manifest.

4 Likes

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by SEGLIZ: 5:00pm On Jul 04, 2020
fire service.
Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by Clinghton: 5:01pm On Jul 04, 2020
We are still in rainy season, Nigeria might be engulfed during dry season.

1 Like

Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by ayenale1(m): 5:02pm On Jul 04, 2020
Sorry for the loss.
Re: Marian Market Calabar Gutted By Fire by chii8(f): 5:02pm On Jul 04, 2020
Chaiii....so painful,may God open a better opportunity for the victims.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Business Can One Start With #10m? / Do It Yourself - Yam Business Version / 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.