Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,840 members, 7,802,691 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

Is It An Insult To Call Religion A Scam? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It An Insult To Call Religion A Scam? (1075 Views)

Science And Religion - A Conflict Or Harmony? / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! / Is Religion A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It An Insult To Call Religion A Scam? by manmustwac(m): 10:22pm On Feb 01, 2011
Is it an insult to call a religion a scam? [size=16pt]I can put up a sign next to a motorway saying that Religion is a scam and a waste of time and money everybody would find that very offensive[/size]. But if i put up a sign next to the motorway that says "Football is a waste of time and money!" no-one would consider it an insult or offensive. Football, like religion, is an activity with no demonstrable benefit except for the pleasure people derive from it. Some people see their particular Football affiliation as a part of their identity, just like a religion. In some countries football is considered as part of a way of life even. And no-one would mind if I put up a sign stating that I think it is a waste of time and money - or a scam to market sportswear, sell advertising and expensive football tickets unlike a religion.

You could say that religion is the codification of a way of life, of a personal and moral philosophy, and that this is the reason that we should treat it with more care and respect. But if that was the case, then why is no-one that upset or even surprised when they see adds criticizing different political parties around election times? Your political affiliation should reflect your moral philosophy even more than your religious affiliation, since you are not necessarily expected to stick with the one your parents followed.

In the case of religion, we suddenly see it as something that needs to be protected from criticism in a way that we protect nothing else. Why is that? How did this special status evolve?
Re: Is It An Insult To Call Religion A Scam? by alienYOUTH(m): 1:07am On Feb 02, 2011
I believe in God, i believe in the Bible,  but [size=14pt]RELIGION IS A FARCE![/size]
In d end, its all personal & its [size=14pt]GODLINESS[/size] and the fruits that counts. EVERYTHING ELSE IS A LIE!
Re: Is It An Insult To Call Religion A Scam? by Jenwitemi(m): 4:02pm On Feb 02, 2011
You're a bit confused there, mate. The BIBLE is the product of RELIGION. Meaning that, if religion is a farce, then so is it's child, the BIBLE.
alienYOUTH:

I believe in God, i believe in the Bible,  but [size=14pt]RELIGION IS A FARCE![/size]
In d end, its all personal & its [size=14pt]GODLINESS[/size] and the fruits that counts. EVERYTHING ELSE IS A LIE!

Re: Is It An Insult To Call Religion A Scam? by UyiIredia(m): 5:35pm On Feb 02, 2011
@ mmw >>> actually, some people can find that comment (about football) offensive >>> and it might be more than you think >>> pit such a poster in a footballing nation like Brazil and you risk being mocked  >>> to be candid I find your analogy to be quite baseless >>> consider that:

*one's religion is a factor in choosing a political affiliation >>> and this can be defaulted (set in a predetermined direction) by one's upbringing

* the definition of what suffices to become religion can be quite ambiguous as aptly remonstrated in a topic I started with a provocative statement >>> I speak of the topic "Atheism Is A Religion" >>> to further back me up is the fact that some religionists are not religious, or if they are, will not accept so (you must have seen alienYOUTHS reply)

*saying religion is a farce is one of the reasons why I castigated Atheism As A Religion >>> why uphold such (i.e Atheism Is A Religion) as true when there is no proof, beyond all doubt, to all people, that this is true

Furthermore, I want to plead for your pardon on my 'chimpanzee comment' >>> that was sarcasm carried too far >>> JeSoul, you and thehomer have well exemplified a more becoming way of dealing with disagreements *however a bite now and then would be in place grin*

@ Jenwetemi >>>
Jenwitemi:

You're a bit confused there, mate. The BIBLE is the product of RELIGION. Meaning that, if religion is a farce, then so is it's child, the BIBLE.

point of correction ! >>> the Bible is the product of A religion (the Christian religion) >>>

if religion is a farce, then so is it's child, the BIBLE.

the foresaid statement you made is what I was taught as a non causa pro causa fallacy >>> a bad tree can produce a good fruit, a true conclusion can be gotten from false premises >>> you do not need to equivocate in a bid to censure the Bible
Re: Is It An Insult To Call Religion A Scam? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 5:53pm On Feb 02, 2011
@OP how dare you call the worlds oldest practice (since Abel made a sacrifice to God) as a Farce angry I alone have the right to call it a farce grin
Re: Is It An Insult To Call Religion A Scam? by justwise(m): 1:10pm On Feb 03, 2011
I don't think that Religion on its own is a scam but some pple who claimed to be religious are scammers hence showing the whole religion in a bad light.
Re: Is It An Insult To Call Religion A Scam? by thehomer: 4:25pm On Feb 04, 2011
The problem with calling religion a scam is due to the wide variability of religions. Some require lots of money from adherents while others require next to nothing from their adherents. So, I think a better approach would be to actually indicate certain practices that may qualify as being scams.
Re: Is It An Insult To Call Religion A Scam? by seyibrown(f): 2:37am On Feb 07, 2011
@OP

It's not an INSULT; only an OPINION informed by knowledge or ignorance!

(1) (Reply)

Has Religion Done More Harm Than Good? Debate / One Big Misconception About Atheists / When Will The World Become Fully Atheistic?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.