Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? (18642 Views)

Share Your Bad Experiences With Bank Charges Here / Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences / Your experiences with the UBA Naira Visa Africard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Boller: 12:24pm On Jun 27, 2007
So many to talk about in Nigeria Bank. I'm  banking with bank PHB, My ATM have been replaced four times and none work till tomorrow. I have stayed at Allen Ave. branch for two hours just to collect N5000.
I beg I don't want to talk about UBA and Union Bank. E bi like say na retire railway worker them park come work there.
Anyway, I don't even have enough to spend talkless of save.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 12:33pm On Jun 27, 2007
;d
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by yogun(f): 4:19pm On Jun 27, 2007
[i]@ All

GTB's def d best now and we can only pray that it'll continues in such matter and even do more for "we" d customers. For UBA, it is very unfortunate the kind of banking services they provide. I have vowed that ma account balance will not pass 1k, immediately i use UBA for any transaction, i visit d bank immediately and transfer ma moni to GTB, I no fit speak too much grammar with all dis their indiscriminate & crazy deductions, they even charge for ATM cards, can U imagine?

For intercontinental, d account's strictly for banking transaction and immediately ma moni land in d account, I quickly transfer strait to GTB.[/i]one love
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by TopeOmo(m): 4:31pm On Jun 27, 2007
I opened an account with the then "Standard Trust" now "UBA", at Ado-Ekiti branch. I wanted to collect my ATM from their Adeola Odeku branch in Lagos State. To be sincere, the ATM was given to me but it wasn't working. I later returned it to the same branch where it was collected and I was told that they were having problem with all their ATM cards. My question is, can't I get ATM card from UBA in Lagos despite the fact that I opened the account in another state?

Another One.
GTB is the best of all the banks. I opened my GTB account in UYO, Akwa Ibom State and when I got to Lagos after my NYSC, I sent an application to Uyo thru GTB at Adeola Odeku to tranfer my ATM and it was transfered within a month. It is great, GTB you are simply the best.
[i][/i]
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by gidig(m): 9:02pm On Jun 27, 2007
I currently bank with GTbank for my personal and business account. The only time I had an issue with them , it was solved promptly and I came to like the bank the more. I had paid in some money into my account in their Bode Thomas branch and wanted to collect it later at their Oba Akran branch only to find out that it had not been posted. I went to the Bode Thomas branch which was them close to my office to complain and you would have thought the guy who was doing the posting killed someone with the way one of the officers addressed him. His explaination that he had done it later fell on deaf ear. My colleague had to be begging on his behalf but the officer and everyone did not seem to budge as they felt everyone working knew the GTbank procedure that demnded that you post immediately.

That was the sole problem I have had with the bank with over three years of baning with them. I think the challenge with UBA (especially the Stb version) is too much customers. It appears to be the new people's bank. I sincerely dread going into any of their branches!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by omoge(f): 2:10am On Jun 28, 2007
am curious please and have to ask when we say ATM in nigeria setting, is it the same as ATM (Automatic Teller Machine) where we insert card, put in your PIN and then the amount of cash you need to take out?

If so why not just go straight to the machine and get your money instead going inside to queue and have the cashiers act up to customer?  cool
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by DisGuy: 2:16am On Jun 28, 2007
the ATMs are usually not enough they are very few of them and they are usually in the banks,
they act up sometimes they debited your account without you taking money cheesy
They malfunction: they work with nepa
(according to what i read on nairaland)
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ebos(m): 11:05am On Jun 28, 2007
Having gone to GTB today being 28th June, 2007. The quick service I received has made me to reaffirm that GTB is still the best for now. It is online. I didn't go with any ID Card, just fill in your Account Name, Acct No., Signature and Date, the money is withdrawn within 3 to 5 minutes.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Tobiegal(f): 6:57pm On Jun 28, 2007
One thin i knw is dat i beef UBA so much dat a knife cant go inbetween it,

Gtb is stil d boom,

bt hey, does dat mean dat no one has problems wit first inland bank?
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by DisGuy: 12:45am On Jun 29, 2007
Tobiegal:

One thin i knw is that i beef UBA so much that a knife can't go inbetween it,

Gtb is stil d boom,

bt hey, does that mean that no one has problems wit first inland bank?

maybe people dont have account with them, they run funy promos, and they also have some kind of pyramid scheme going on weird for a bank huh undecided sapphire flash club
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 11:09am On Jun 30, 2007
;d
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by fsb(m): 3:37am On Jul 03, 2007
After reading all your issues with Nigerian banks I kinda chuckle to myself 'cos you guys haven't even seen nothing. My bank tortured me for 2 months just to collect my money telling me your money is on the way today, it isn't on the way tomorrow. It was only after the bank was threatened with a law suit that the money jumped out from God knows where.

There are definitely issues to resolve but the first step is to identify the problems and their origins. Most problems experienced by a local branch office may be traced in some way or another to the management of the head office. Profit making is definitely important but you don't want to drive away customers with poor customer service and so if management at the level of headoffice is truly CONCERNED about the people skills of their workers then in any local branch, the workers begin to treat customers in a better way because they know that management takes reports of customer abuse seriously and may be their job could be at stake.

I mean while keep a grumpy old worker who keeps mistreating customers when there are 25 young nigerians who would appreciate the job and who won't be so grumpy.

In any case, one good way to say it for me would be: "All banks have their problems, some worse than others" but one thing is definitely certain: Banks are in more for profit making reasons than for the purposes of satisfying their customers or any other reasons.

fsb
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 03, 2007
Customer Service is quite poor with UBA. Just as it was with First Bank then, I won't forget in a jiffy, the experience i had with them while in School, Maybe cos i was a student then, I was to withdraw some money and the lady teller decided to give me N10 denomination all through, It was embarassing N10, N10 Naira, me?? I requested for a change of denomination, but the lady refused giving excuses. I just had to walk up to one of the Senior staff who honoured my request and gave me N500 denomination. I felt bad.

One more bank, is Sterling

Getting my PIN Code with Sterling Bank ATM Card has been an issue since April, 2007 at their Aromire branch, Ikeja. Although it's a salary account, but Imagine having the Card without the Pin Code for 3months!!!. There's been empty promises till date.

They could pls come and have their card, i'm tired of keeping it. angry grin
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 03, 2007
So what are we as consumers going to do about poor customer services? Is nt it high time we have a a consumer body to deal with customer rights. Complaining is not going to make it better, if there is a body that will investigate some of this complains and make some smal press noise most of these will stop. It is because we complain , and do nothing that they will keep taking customers for granted from now till they Kingdom comes.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by mimiko(f): 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2007
my prob has not really been with the bank parse but thier ill mannerd staff(unprofessional)
            STB now UBA
back then i 2004 in Ado Ekiti was still in school, my account was dry but my bro was supposed to send money into my account, as i went to the bank to cash some money i decided to check myt bal b4 wasting time on the queue, there were loads of people from school to cash or check bal only for the stupid gal to read out my bal of 1,250 loudly, it was embarrsing, i know its against the law i felt like walking straight to the manager or atleast make noise but i knew people would rather laugh at me cos they will just think am frustrated.
         National Bank now WEMA
in Ado Ekiti as well, they were never on line they were alwys nasty bunch of indigines, there was a day a friend of mine went to confirm my account number and they gave her my bal as well, can u imagine and it was thier operation manager Olumide cant really remember (2004) insyead of him to accept his mistake he threatened my friend that he will lock her up, had to make calls to another branch before he was called to his right senses. Bloody Nuisance, he was thesame guy that wen he makes calls to other branhes to confirm customers bal he waste time by toasting the girl on phone first. i remember he shouted on a customer once asking him how much he had in his account and if it was up to one million so he should not disturb him, very rude guy
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by cheexy: 12:55am On Jul 04, 2007
mimiko:

my prob has not really been with the bank parse but their ill mannerd staff(unprofessional)
STB now UBA
back then i 2004 in Ado Ekiti was still in school, my account was dry but my bro was supposed to send money into my account, as i went to the bank to cash some money i decided to check myt bal before wasting time on the queue, there were loads of people from school to cash or check bal only for the stupid girl to read out my bal of 1,250 loudly, it was embarrsing, i know its against the law i felt like walking straight to the manager or atleast make noise but i knew people would rather laugh at me because they will just think am frustrated.
National Bank now WEMA
in Ado Ekiti as well, they were never on line they were alwys nasty bunch of indigines, there was a day a friend of mine went to confirm my account number and they gave her my bal as well, can u imagine and it was their operation manager Olumide can't really remember (2004) insyead of him to accept his mistake he threatened my friend that he will lock her up, had to make calls to another branch before he was called to his right senses. Bloody Nuisance, he was thesame guy that when he makes calls to other branhes to confirm customers bal he waste time by toasting the girl on phone first. i remember he shouted on a customer once asking him how much he had in his account and if it was up to one million so he should not disturb him, very rude guy
This is too funny. I am reeling
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by soulpatrol(f): 1:04am On Jul 04, 2007
@mimiko, i haven't laughed this hard ooooo!!!! grin grin grin grin
your story was just too hilarious! ah, me wey hunger dey catch me at this moment, i no even know where the energy to burst into laughter spring from. you too much, my sista! grin

and yes o, what is it with those bank managers toasting the female customers self? ah ah, last time i went back to naija, same thing o. the yeye ugly manager i asked to see for some transactions, once he found out i was a "just landed from yankee" girl tongue , the guy just started asking me all kinds of personal questions o, he even gave me his stupid card to call him. i'm like shuuu, how unprofessional. ughhhh!  lipsrsealed nigerian men can be so disgusting. tongue
even the female staff around were just giving me bad eye for no reason. shuooooooo!!!!! what did i do?
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by cheexy: 1:17am On Jul 04, 2007
soulpatrol:

@mimiko, i haven't laughed this hard ooooo!!!! grin grin grin grin
your story was just too hilarious! ah, me wey hunger dey catch me at this moment, i no even know where the energy to burst into laughter spring from. you too much, my sista! grin

and yes o, what is it with those bank managers toasting the female customers self? ah ah, last time i went back to naija, same thing o. the yeye ugly manager i asked to see for some transactions, once he found out i was a "just landed from yankee" girl tongue , the guy just started asking me all kinds of personal questions o, he even gave me his stupid card to call him. i'm like shuuu, how unprofessional. ughhhh! lipsrsealed nigerian men can be so disgusting. tongue
even the female staff around were just giving me bad eye for no reason. shuooooooo!!!!! what did i do?

Na biff my dear
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by bakas(m): 12:19pm On Jul 05, 2007
From the different postings. UBA can be said to be the worst even with their suspicious statements!. I suggest people should discontinue patronising the bank, maybe, Just maybe, there will be a change!.
I was once cheated by the bank
I had an account with the then STB and with the merger with UBA I normally went to a closer branch to transact business. I only realised to my chagrin that I was charged every time I made both deposit and withdrawal at the branch. I only realised this through a friend who had such experience before then. I quickly went to inquire and lo and behold was told that any transaction above 100,000.00 was charged with a fee of N5.00 per a N1000.00 as far as the branch was not the one I opened the account with. Since then, I have systematically withdrew my money to another bank.

Secondly, I had a nasty experience in FCMB, Effurun, I deposited the sum of N250,000.00 earlier, only to discover three months later that the money was not credited to my account. I raised an issue with them and with a proof of my deposit teller, I was able to prove to them that I did the deposit. After aboout three days my account was credited but the accruable interest gone!. The explanation given was that the a wrong account was credited and mine cannot be credited in arrears. I let go with the issue since I have gotten the money back. The only question I asked myself was what could have happened if I had allowed the account to run for up to a year without checking?
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 4:37pm On Jul 05, 2007
@bakas

Thanks for the info.

We are getting a clearer picture of the good, the bad and the ugly among Nigerian banks.

Ta! undecided
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Panadol(m): 7:47pm On Jul 05, 2007
GTBank is the best.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by bakas(m): 9:23am On Jul 06, 2007
Seems GTbank is actually the best!.
What do they have to offer?. Do they have online banking?. Any alert when a transaction is taken place in your account?. How do one activate all these if one must enjoy the services?
Cheers!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Panadol(m): 6:38pm On Jul 06, 2007
@bakas.

Just fill out the eOne form on their webiste(www.gtbplc.com). Online banking, Alerts on transactions etc.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 8:23pm On Jul 06, 2007
I dont think alert on transaction is part of their online banking. I use GTB's online banking facility and I havent got any alert in my inbox despite the fact that there are transactions going on every week.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by bakas(m): 1:57pm On Jul 07, 2007
@ Panadol
Thanks for the info. I hope to utilise the facilities.
@ MT
It part of the online services but you need to subscribe to enjoy it.

One lOve. GTBANK is certainly the best!!!!

I recommend all to close their bank account elsewhere and open with GT, afterall, no one want hassle in life.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 3:42pm On Jul 07, 2007
@ bakas

Do u av an idea if GTB charge for that online banking services ?
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by bakas(m): 11:29am On Jul 08, 2007
@MT
Not yet, I hope to find that out within the week!
Cheers!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 9:06pm On Jul 08, 2007
@bakas

Thanks, I await that
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by mezainab(f): 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2007
My sad experience was with Intercontinental Bank. In short, they are the worst. I went to their branch at wetheral road, owerri to use their ATM last December. I told my younger brother who was waiting for me close by to move toward the gate and wait there. He became bored and wanted to play a game in his phone when a Mopol chanced the phone from him. I was surprised b/c the boy was at the gate and wasn’t making a call. When I demanded an explanation the Mopol said I should shut up or leave the banking premises. They dragged my brother by the shirt to the outside. This is the bank he, me and my cousin who was already inside and oblivious of what was going on outside the bank uses.

To cut the story short, the 2nd Mopol told me to leave the premises when I asked for my brother’s phone. People said I should just comply for the sake of peace. I left but not hurriedly so he slapped/pushed my back and said,” move!” When I turned to face him he slapped my face. Geez, I felt like killing somebody but they held me. I laid my complaint to the pregnant manager who referred me to another guy with an avocado head. After keping me waiting for so long,i had to confront him.He finally didn’t treat my case saying I must have shouted at the Mopol so he slapped me.
Earlier, say 10secs after he (1st Mopol) confiscated my brother’s phone, a man wearing a chieftaincy regalia made a call right in front of the bank door (not gate o) and the bullying  wimp of a Mopol could only muster in a low tone, “eh chief, you know we don’t make calls in the bank. They write am there now.” He said pointing at the inscription on the wall before the door. The chief waved at him and continued his talk. While an innocent boy’s phone lay in the Mopol’s pocket.

Tell me, why I should see anything good in Intercontinental Bank? They really spoilt my christmas in the east.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by mezainab(f): 2:06pm On Jul 09, 2007
And yes,GTB is da bom'. Talk of customer care from managerial level to security post. Talk of efficient and speedy online services,good balance sheet to start with and many other reasons why GTB remains the best for now.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by angel101(f): 3:07pm On Jul 09, 2007
@me-zainab
I am absolutely horrified at ur story. That truly happened? and nothing was done about it. na wa 4 that country o
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by bakas(m): 11:46am On Jul 10, 2007
@MT,
I just spoke with the GTBANK customer service to be profiled for alert on transaction on my account, I received a very courteous response form the lady with a sleeky voice!. Truly GT is the BOM
You can get in touch with them on the following line 01-4480000; 08039003900 or 08029002900 for any querry.
One love!
Bakas

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangote Floats $100m Truck Assembly Plant In Lagos / Piggybank.ng, The Nigerian Fintech Startup That Just Raised $1.1million / Letter To Activate Dormant Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.