Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,090 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? (18641 Views)

Share Your Bad Experiences With Bank Charges Here / Ever Been Disappointed By An ATM Machine? Share Your Experiences / Your experiences with the UBA Naira Visa Africard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 11:48am On Jul 10, 2007
@ bakas,

Thanks but I hope the same sleeky voice will speak to me too tho grin
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by uchetobi(f): 3:46pm On Jul 10, 2007
My experience with UBA has been good. So am really surprised at the bashing here. But then it’s a salary ac for me. I don’t pay in money there. And I only withdraw from the ATM. I cant remember when last iv been in the banking hall. I have to really commend GTB and Skye. My savings account are with both of them and they are the bomb! Sterling bank is a useless bank. I’v been waiting for my ATM pin for over one year. V said god bye to them. Good riddance to bad rubbish
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ok2(m): 7:54pm On Jul 10, 2007
I am in the process of opening the NRN ( Non Resident Nigerian) account with UBA - the process is in fact almost concluded and they are now asking me to pay in 100,000 Naira for the naira account and $1,000 for the USD Domiciliary account to fund and hence open the account. Has any one had any experience with this account? The account is only for non-resident Nigerians.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by titis: 10:39pm On Jul 10, 2007
i have had my own experience baaaaaaaad all states does dat name ring a bell?
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 11, 2007
@me-zainab

i am shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

you were slapped at your own bank?

you suppose report this for newspaper
Punch will carry it well

I assure you you will get an apology sharp-sharp
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by uchetobi(f): 8:31am On Jul 11, 2007
Yes I second that. That was crap. You should have written to the daileies, filled all the online complain forms and stuff. Haba!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by iwajay(m): 10:09am On Jul 11, 2007
Hi this is in response to soundmind's claim. Oceanic bank did not acquire Trans International Bank (TIB). i guess that was your (or your brother's) mistake. Oceanic bank only took over ITB (International Trust Bank), I guess Oceanic Bank deserves an appology from you for the scene you must have created in their banking hall and for your defamatory statement on this blog. Let us all watch what we post as it could be irritating to the so many sound minds that read posts on this blog.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by iwajay(m): 10:38am On Jul 11, 2007
Hi MT, Bench-marking studies have shown that Oceanic bank customer service officers go the extra mile for their customers. There must have been a breakdown of communication somewhere. If you Open a current account, before your cheque book can be issued, all your documentation must be complete. One major reason why many banks might not issue cheque books as and when due is that of REFERENCES. Many people do not take this serious but no bank in this dispensation would issue a cheque book without the references in place.

In any case, if all your documentation was in place and the fault is from the bank, then you should have insisted that Gbagi branch of Oceanic bank called Iwo Road branch for clarification. This, they would do without charging you and they would not have charged you N250 (counter cheque withdrawal).

I guess we should all start knowing our rights as customers and not go suffering in silence only to blow things out of proportion at the slightest chance we have.

MT, I still think you should check Oceanic bank website for their hotline or helpdesk email address so that your money can be refunded.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ebos(m): 10:47am On Jul 11, 2007
GTB do not charge any online transaction notification via email, but they sent me a text message on Monday, 9th July 2007 explaining that any transaction notification via SMS attracts N10 per SMS, but notification via email remain free. This GTB is really the best bank I can recommend to my friends. I do not go with any card, yet withdrawal can be made. The GTB staff will call you immediately they see you hanging, and they will be ready to help you.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by bakas(m): 11:42am On Jul 11, 2007
@Ebo,
You are correct, that's GTbank's policy. no stress no hassle. Just spoke with their customer service and the response was encouraging.
For any on-line transaction, just call on them and you will appropriately be directed.
@MT
hope you get this.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by angel101(f): 4:29pm On Jul 11, 2007
iwajay:

Hi MT, Bench-marking studies have shown that Oceanic bank customer service officers go the extra mile for their customers. There must have been a breakdown of communication somewhere.

U sound like u work for Oceanic bank. Well i happen to have an account with them, and my friend is head of international banking in Oceanic. even he agrees that their customer service is wack cos he has experienced it even as a staff of the bank!

Insiting that they contact the branch is more than knowing ur right, it's actually doing their job for them. Also, the claim that they didnt issue a cheque book cos the references may not have been in place is flawed cos the account was obviously operational.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by iwajay(m): 8:22pm On Jul 11, 2007
Angel, I happen to be a customer of Oceanic bank and i get all the best service i deserve. I'm into CRM and maybe that's why i know my rights as a customer and know that the only thing all the banks have to offer is QUALITY SERVICE. Infact that's what differentiate them and not their asset or capital base. As a CRM (customer relationship management) professional, I know that bad customer service is the greatest fraud so it is our right to demand it where ever and when ever. I have enjoyed my relationship with Oceanic Bank so far. As per the account being operatonal, you may want to revisit the first mail that led to all us contributing. Once you open an account, it becomes operational but you cannot be given a cheque book if your documentation is not complete. You may want to check CBN, EFCC e.t.c websites for regulations on banking operations in Nigeria.

As for GTBank, i also run a current account with them but i must confess, I've complained several times about the quality of service given especially at Adeola Odekun branch. You make a deposit and they don't post it for more than 24hour, you pay in a GT cheque which is supposed to be of immediate value and it takes hours to reflect.

Then a point of correction, My friend is the head of International Banking and the person is a she. So you might want to ask your friend where he actually heads.

I'd rather do Oceanic bank any day.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by soulpatrol(f): 10:17pm On Jul 11, 2007
clears through and coughs namedropper grin
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by cheexy: 1:06am On Jul 12, 2007
soulpatrol:

@soulpatrol
Very funny

@all,
Slapping a customer is just so wrong. Too bad!
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by uchetobi(f): 8:18am On Jul 12, 2007
@angel you shouldn't have mentioned the post of your friend. Bank representatives are actually watching this page
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by angel101(f): 9:44am On Jul 12, 2007
iwajay:

Angel, I happen to be a customer of Oceanic bank and i get all the best service i deserve. I'm into CRM and maybe that's why i know my rights as a customer and know that the only thing all the banks have to offer is QUALITY SERVICE. Infact that's what differentiate them and not their asset or capital base.

on this i agree and thats why i am on this thread.

iwajay:

I have enjoyed my relationship with Oceanic Bank so far.

Well good for u.

iwajay:

As per the account being operatonal, you may want to revisit the first mail that led to all us contributing. Once you open an account, it becomes operational but you cannot be given a cheque book if your documentation is not complete. You may want to check CBN, EFCC e.t.c websites for regulations on banking operations in Nigeria.

And my question here is why should the account be operational if the documentaion is incomplete? I do not think I or anyone else needs to go to CBN or EFCC to get clarification on the service to expect from the bank I (for instance) use. I believe it is the duty of the bank to make clear to me what their service to me would be as services obviously differ among banks.

soulpatrol:

ha ha ha very funny! angry

uchetobi:

@angel you shouldn't have mentioned the post of your friend. Bank representatives are actually watching this page

U think he will loose his job for noting that their customer service is poor? I doubt it.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 2:44pm On Jul 12, 2007
  In any case, if all your documentation was in place and the fault is from the bank, then you should have insisted that Gbagi branch of Oceanic bank called Iwo Road branch for clarification. This, they would do without charging you and they would not have charged you N250 (counter cheque withdrawal).

@ Iwajay

I understand your point, but when I got to Oceanic bank Gbagi, they insisted that thats the bank policy. Eventually, I went back to Iwo Road branch, and a staffer told me that they (i.e staff at Gbagi Branch) were saying rubbish. So, I didnt even know who was saying the truth and who was lying
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by iwajay(m): 6:52pm On Jul 12, 2007
@Angel, I guess this forum is for like minds to put forth their views and see how things can be resolved. On this note, I'd just explain a few banking practices.

Once a customer walks into any bank and i repeat, any bank to open an account and drops some form of document in addition to filling a deposit slip, the account is automatically opened and the money posted there. For savings it is a lot easier; once you have an ID and a passport all you need do is fill a form. For current, it is not that easy. This is because current accounts are used for transfer that savings cant be used for. This is why the EFCC e.t.c hammer a lot on current accounts. Once you've deposited your money, your account becomes operational. If your documentation is not complete, it is placed on POST NO DEBIT (PND) which means no withdrawals can be made till all is ok. On some occasions, the bank can allow a deferral (allow you to withdraw some amount if your cheque is not ready) and you would be told to complete your documentation.

My dear Angel, the essence of my tale is, your account becomes operational once you fill the account opening package and make a deposit. This goes for all banks (you might want to find out).

In any case, we all want quality service at all times and ppl like me would preach it to all heights.

GT, Oceanic, UBA, PHB, no matter what bank we use, we all desire quality service and so i guess it rests on us to demand it if we don't get. When these banks know we know what we want, they would sit up.

I guess we both can agree on this point.

@MT, the branch on Iwo road is right and i'm sure they must have made some correction in-house.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 6:14pm On Jul 13, 2007
@ Iwajay

My internet banking activation is taking forever to be activated at OCEANIC bank again ooo, I have done all I was required to do, still no activation. I dont why OCEANIC is like this oooo
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by iwajay(m): 8:44pm On Jul 13, 2007
Hi MT, I'd tell you how i first fell in love with Oceanic bank. I was browsing their site and stumbled on their customer care mailbox so i dropped my challenges there. The response i got solved all the problems. I think you should send a mail to customercare@oceanicbanknigeria.com and explain your challenges and I'm sure they would respond.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by otokx(m): 5:25am On Jul 14, 2007
Most if not all Nigerians banks have their challenges but it appears GT bank is above average. I went to the GT bank (GRA branch) at ABA rd here in Port Harcourt and the crowd i saw there did not impress me. People queuing up to pass those cylinder doors which were just 2. People again queuing up to collect money. At the bulk counters, there was no queue but I had to return to ask the woman to post the money I paid as the receiver wanted to see it online. Maybe it was their off day but on my return the crowd was still there.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by ThoniaSlim(f): 8:37am On Jul 14, 2007
i still maintain intercontinental bank is the worst Nigerian bank, and may they wrought for all they did. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by dominique(f): 5:00pm On Jul 14, 2007
when it comes to worst bank ever in naija, the award goes to union bank. i dont know why anybody still bank with them.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by cheexy: 1:09am On Jul 15, 2007
With all the accolades GTBank has received on this thread, I went and opened a saving account for my wealthbuilder scheme because i wanted to stop using my diamond bank account  and i must say, i am feeling them. The customer service and professionalism is superb.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Prince22(m): 2:07am On Jul 16, 2007
MT

You can only enjoy the previledge of not having cheque not in any other branch that you did not had such agreement of opening account.

Despite that it was thesame bank does not mean your right in the branch where you open an account is thesame in other branches of the thesame bank.

Take this complain to where you open this account, you will realise something similar to what i said here is what they will tell you.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 2:22am On Jul 16, 2007
@prince22

Thanks for the comment, but I did ask them at iwo road branch where they told me that I could go to ANY of their branches and withdraw. They said I wouldnt be charge a kobo. So, whose fault??
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by DisGuy: 2:32am On Jul 16, 2007
does it really matter what branch? as long as the name of the bank is the same there should be no problem, it's not rocket science undecided
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by iwajay(m): 9:15am On Jul 16, 2007
Hello Prince 22 and MT, This a little information about general banking operations.

If your cheque book has not been issued to you and the fault is from the bank, then you (under normal circumstance) would not be charged for paper withdrawal (counter cheque); but if you have been given your cheque book and you forgot it, then you would be charged for paper withdrawal even at the branch you opened your account. However, if your cheque book is not ready due to your own fault, then you would be charged.

In any case, I think all banks should move to the level of biometric cheques. This would ease all the problems and charges as regards cheque books.

MT I also saw this number on Oceanic bank site 01-2705000 (hotline). It should be helpful.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Prince22(m): 3:22am On Jul 17, 2007
Fellow Nairalanders,

Note one fact about Banks CUSTOMERS CARE OFFICERS were only caring for theirselves, they will non challantly answer any request and later put someone in a mess at long run.

MT,
i think they are the pp misleading customers, banks operation policy has little to do with the embarrasment we are facing in Nigerian Banks.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by MT: 3:22pm On Jul 17, 2007
@ Prince22

I totally AGREE with u. You captured the whole scenario well
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by lilbabe(f): 5:53pm On Jul 18, 2007
I had terrible experiences with UBA infact it's not a place to be called a bank!. I ve an account domicile in Iwo road Ibadan Oyo state , their customer service officer in that branch should be given a memo. I was spoken to shabishly and treated as though i was a minor just because i ve a small stature. Presently i"m serving in Awka Anambra and only to go to Awka branch former Uba not Stb, to meet another episode, my ATM card got into the machine and went to retrieve it with good proof, D lady in charge who i guess is part of the cheap labourers the bank employ used these words"NEXT TIME IT GET STUCKED AND U COME BACK WITHOUT WRITING UR NAME ON CARD FOR IDENTIFICATION U WILL CRY BEFOR GETTING IT." All i cld do was smile cos i was stucked for the right words. She doesn't even ve an idea who their customers can be?.
I Strongly think the bank is suffering from too much of customer and lack of working etiquet since they tend to cheap labour. UBA IS A SORRY STATE.
Re: Bad Experiences You've Had With Your Banks? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 18, 2007
GTB is great - true talk
GTB is d best - Argument without sufficient evidence to support.
UBA is wack - Not absolutely
Union is d worst - True talk. Supporting evidence witheld for safety reasons.
How come no1's sayin nothin bout Zenith?
Intercontinental n Oceanic re doin just fine.
what bout d Skyes, Sterlings, FCMBs, Unitys? or dont they hv customers on the forum?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dangote Floats $100m Truck Assembly Plant In Lagos / Letter To Activate Dormant Account / Piggybank.ng, The Nigerian Fintech Startup That Just Raised $1.1million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.