Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:25 PM

Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) (1759 Views)

Buhari Appoints Ben Akabueze S.A (planning) To The Minister Of Nat'l Planning / Obasanjo Hands Over Report On Strategic Devt Plan To Buhari / Lagos-Anambra Crisis Ben Akabueze Sacked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by jason123: 3:19am On Feb 02, 2011
Lagos needs N7trn for infrastructural devt- Akabueze
News Feb 2, 2011

By Jimoh Babatunde, Olasunkanmi Akoni, Monsur Olowoopejo & Daniel Eteghe
Lagos state Government, yesterday, disclosed that it will require over N7 trillion in the next 10 years to continue with the fast infrastructural development going on across the state.

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State had, Monday, signed the 2011 Appropriation Bill of N450.775 billion into law.

Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budgeting, Mr. Ben Akabueze, stated this, yesterday, at a media briefing held at Alausa, Ikeja with special focused on budget performance between 2007 and 2010 and analyses of the 2011 budget, which he said priority would be given to in line with the policy thrust of Lagos State government.

Meanwhile Governor, Fashola, yesterday, said that the state’s budget for 2011 will address youth empowerment through agriculture, just as he said that all the state has been doing in alleviating poverty and sustainable infrastructural renewal will remain the focus of the budget.

He said: “There are general provisions for adult farmers and all of that, but there is a special provision for youth unemployment through the agricultural youth empowerment scheme for graduates. We are moving them to an area where young graduates have not looked enough at.”

The state government also focused its 2011 budget on the economic sector of the state and will spend N142.085 billion which form 31.5 per cent of its entire budget.

Other sectors to receive the state government attention include the health sector which received the sum of 39.888bn (8.85%), Environment Protection Sector: 36.790bn (8.16%), on General Public Service Sector: N 112.858bn (25.04%), N 64.934bn (14.40%) for the Education Sector, Housing: 26.761bn (5.94%) and Justice, Public Order and Safety is 14.441bn (3.20%).

Akabueze further gave a breakdown on the N198.182 billion recurrent and 252.593 capital totalling N450.775billion budget for the 2011 fiscal year.

The commissioner while giving a vivid analysis of the budget, spread the 10_year budget along six sectors: Water Development $3billion, road and drainage $20billion, power $10 billion, ICT $5 billion, transportation $9.3billion, water and sewage etc, $2.7billion bringing the total sum needed for the next decade to $50 billion.

Akabueze explained that based on this estimate, the yearly budget of the year is about $2 billion, adding that the state did not at anytime promised to deliver all roads in the state in a period of four years against publicity in the media that potholes are now common features in some roads in the state.

He stated that the state opted to denominate budget for the decade in US Dollars to counter inflationary trend and other sundry factors.

The commissioner noted that Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) from the state moved up 74 percent (N66, 187bn) in 2007 to 85 percent (N144, 191bn) in 2010 with a decreased dependency on Federal revenue transfer from 41 to 35 percent.

According to him, the state’s IGR stands at N7 to N15 billion monthly adding that a total of N209 billion was generated in 2010 while the total sum of N228.520 billion was budgeted as realizable IGR for 2011.

Akabueze while explaining areas which form the economic sector said that the improvement of this sector will have great impact on the public as all its programmes concerns the masses.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/lagos-needs-n7trn-for-infrastructural-devt-akabueze/
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by jason123: 3:19am On Feb 02, 2011
Gradually, tribalism is ending. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EzeUche2(m): 3:20am On Feb 02, 2011
He should be calling for infrastructural development for Aba, Onitsha & Nnewi.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by jason123: 3:23am On Feb 02, 2011
EzeUche_:

Why We are celebrating the end of tribalism and the beginning of our collective development, you are still talking about your home town! Did you even rread the article undecided
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EzeUche2(m): 3:27am On Feb 02, 2011
jason123:

Why We are celebrating the end of tribalism and the beginning of our collective development, you are still talking about your home town! Did you even rread the article undecided

I am about Igboland first and foremost. Why should he help the development of another man's land? Remember your people said we Igbos have no right to claim Lagos. When we see an Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio, or even a Tiv governor of Lagos, then I shall change my mind.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by fstranger1: 3:34am On Feb 02, 2011
EzeUche_:

I am about Igboland first and foremost. Why should he help the development of another man's land? Remember your people said we Igbos have no right to claim Lagos. When we see an Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio, or even a Tiv governor of Lagos, then I shall change my mind.

Do you need me to talk sense into your horse shyyt for brains skull before you think straight?
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EzeUche2(m): 3:38am On Feb 02, 2011
fstranger1, we already know you are a fool. What else is new? A mind is a terrible thing to waste don't you think? With all that so called education, you still act like a buffoon. That is very sad. I am already looking past tribalism, but you are still deeply rooted in it. Did an Igbo man steal your woman before?
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by fstranger1: 3:45am On Feb 02, 2011
EzeUche_:

fstranger, we already know you are a fool. What else is new? A mind is a terrible thing to waste don't you think? With all that so called education, you still act like a buffoon. That is very sad.

Good one!

Tell me something I havent heard from you.

You are all Igbo this, igbo that, yet your mom is whoring herself to mallams in Abuja while you waste your life smoking reefer in DC with Akatas.

IS this how you want to spend your life, stuffing cocaine in your arse, like your father?

You'd better think twice before you end up like your elder brother who is wasting away in Rikers

The thread started on a good note, and you spoilt the whole thing with your baseless Igbo chest beating. What else do you have in your stupid "made in Maryland" brain other than CHinua Achebe is the best, Ojukwu is great and what else do you say, again, oh yeah, Igbos own isreal because they are jews and are equally as smart because the learnt Nsibid from the Apes.

Eediot, shouldnt you be sudying? slowpoke!
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EzeUche2(m): 3:50am On Feb 02, 2011
Igbo chest beating? By saying that he should calling for investment in his homeland is chest beating? Maybe you should understand what chest beating entails. Calling for investment in your homeland does not classify as chest beating.

And I will not insult your people, I am just going insult you.

With all your supposed "education," you still have a gutter mind. When are you going to evolve and join the enlightened people of this world? undecided
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by fstranger1: 3:52am On Feb 02, 2011
EzeUche_:

Igbo chest beating? By saying that he should calling for investment in his homeland is chest beating? Maybe you should understand what chest beating entails. Calling for investment in your homeland does not classify as chest beating.

And I will not insult your people, I am just going insult you.

With all your supposed "education," you still have a gutter mind. When are you going to evolve and join the enlightened people of this world? undecided

Who told you i am educated

For all you know, I am an agbero!

Stop saying that ok!
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by ekubear1: 3:54am On Feb 02, 2011
Hrm.
jason123:

The commissioner while giving a vivid analysis of the budget, spread the 10_year budget along six sectors: Water Development $3billion, road and drainage $20billion, power $10 billion, ICT $5 billion, transportation $9.3billion, water and sewage etc, $2.7billion bringing the total sum needed for the next decade to $50 billion.
That is a sh1tload of bread.

Akabueze explained that based on this estimate, the yearly budget of the year is about $2 billion, adding that the state did not at anytime promised to deliver all roads in the state in a period of four years against publicity in the media that potholes are now common features in some roads in the state.
Where will Lagos get this additional 3 billion/year+ from, I wonder? I wonder what fraction of this amount can be raised through PPPs. . .

He stated that the state opted to denominate budget for the decade in US Dollars to counter inflationary trend and other sundry factors.
Makes a lot of sense.

The commissioner noted that Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) from the state moved up 74 percent (N66, 187bn) in 2007 to 85 percent (N144, 191bn) in 2010 with a decreased dependency on Federal revenue transfer from 41 to 35 percent.
Excellent. So pretty much self-sufficient, at this point. I strongly suspect that Lagos is being shortchanged allocation-wise, though.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by reporter1: 3:54am On Feb 02, 2011
EzeUche_:

Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budgeting, Mr. Ben Akabueze, is obligated to Lagos State only and nobody else in discharge of his duties as a duly sworn minister of Lagos State.

If any state wants their own Akabueze, let them appoint one.

Lagos State realizes the potentials of the man, and rightfully appointed him.  Let every state follows in the footsteps of Lagos and appoint non-indigenous people as executives, and not some window dressing “Special Adviser.”  Anyway, more than likely, Akabueze is a thoroughbred Lagosian.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by ekubear1: 3:56am On Feb 02, 2011
Regarding this Akabueze guy. . . yeah, he is with Team Lagos.

Go get your own  grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EzeUche2(m): 4:00am On Feb 02, 2011
eku_bear, on a side note, you Ghanaian proverb is hilarious. I am proficient in Twi and I had to laugh at that quote. grin Currently, in Accra, I have noticed that a lot of Yorubas have been buying property in Ghana. The Ghanaians are a good people though. They are not as aggressive as Nigerians.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by ekubear1: 4:02am On Feb 02, 2011
^-- How long did you live in Ghana? What other languages do you speak?

my language skills are weak. . . wish I had time to learn more.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EzeUche2(m): 4:06am On Feb 02, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- How long did you live in Ghana? What other languages do you speak?

my language skills are weak. . . wish I had time to learn more.

I spent 3 years in Ghana. And I enjoyed my time in Ghana. I speak French, Igbo (some dialects), Ibibio, English, Twi (proficient), and a little Ga.

It is best to learn a language when you are young. I heard 3 languages in my parents home while growing up. They were French, Igbo & Ibibio besides English. One thing I regret is that I wished my father taught me Hausa.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by obailala(m): 8:51am On Feb 02, 2011
EzeUche_:

@EzeUche
How can u possibly expect a commissioner in Lagos state to call for infrastructural development in Aba and Onitsha? Next u would call on Obama to spend US funds in developing healthcare in Kenya. Ur tribal sentiment has completely eroded ur sense of reasoning on this one. It's really sad cos except here on Nairaland, Igbos are not really known to be tribalists.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EzeUche2(m): 8:59am On Feb 02, 2011
obailala:

@EzeUche
How can u possibly expect a commissioner in Lagos state to call for infrastructural development in Aba and Onitsha? Next u would call on Obama to spend US funds in developing healthcare in Kenya. your tribal sentiment has completely eroded your sense of reasoning on this one. It's really sad cos except here on Nairaland, Igbos are not really known to be tribalists.

I stand by what I said. Many posters from Lagos consider Igbos as unwelcomed guest in that city, I just find it "interesting" if that is the write word to use in this context, that an Igbo man is asking for infrastructural development in another man's land.

My post have do not come out of a vacuum as you may think. Most of my post are reactionary in a way. And I am not a tribalist, because I do not think my people are superior to anyone. So do not use the world loosely.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by ekubear1: 9:04am On Feb 02, 2011
^-- Who cares what those posters think?

He has made a decision about which state he wants to be a part of, and moreover that state wants him too.

He might be Igbo, but at this point has nothing to do with Anambra and the rest of those states.

The Kenya example with Barack was spot on.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by Afam4eva(m): 10:32am On Feb 02, 2011
@ Ezeuche

Pls let's be fair for once in our life. Akabueze is a Lagos minister ans he represents the interest of Lagos state and not Igbo, yoruba or any other group for that matter.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EkoIle1: 2:43pm On Feb 02, 2011
EzeUche_:

I stand by what I said. Many posters from Lagos consider Igbos as unwelcomed guest in that city, I just find it "interesting" if that is the write word to use in this context, that an Igbo man is asking for infrastructural development in another man's land.

My post have do not come out of a vacuum as you may think. Most of my post are reactionary in a way. And I am not a tribalist, because I do not think my people are superior to anyone. So do not use the world loosely.

Ode, that was a classic tribalistic statement, you don't have to claim superiority to be tribalistic.

You questioned his judgment by asserting that he should be working to better his own tribe (Your tribe) instead of others.

He is a Lagosian and he took an oath to work for and look out for the people of the Great State Of Lagos. I'm sure iboland is equipped with more than enough Ben A. to go around and instead of spewing your usual tribal nonsense, tell your leaders in the east to get off their a/s/s and look for one to serve their people.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EzeUche2(m): 2:46pm On Feb 02, 2011
afam4eva:

@ Ezeuche

Pls let's be fair for once in our life. Akabueze is a Lagos minister ans he represents the interest of Lagos state and not Igbo, yoruba or any other group for that matter.

When have they been fair in our lives? Sometimes I wonder if my people are too conciliatory. Anyway, let him work on behalf for a state that would never allow a member of his ethnicity to rise to the level of governor, just because he or she is not a member of that group.

Nigeria is definitely a Banana Republic.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EkoIle1: 2:54pm On Feb 02, 2011
EzeUche_:

When have they been fair in our lives? Sometimes I wonder if my people are too conciliatory. Anyway, let him work on behalf for a state that would never allow a member of his ethnicity to rise to the level of governor, just because he or she is not a member of that group.

Nigeria is definitely a Banana Republic.

But they let a man from a different tribe dictate the flow of life blood and future of their state. How long do you think it's gonna take before one gets to be the main man or woman in charge? It's a great first that's yet to be duplicated in your so called eastern states because of tribalistic people like you.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by enyojo(f): 3:21pm On Feb 02, 2011
LAGOS IS THE BREEDING GROUND FOR FUTURE GOVERNORS AND SENATORS. THEY ARE BROUGHT IN AS COMMISSIONERS IN CRITICAL PARASTATALS THEN THE ACN BLOOD IS INJECTED INTO THEM. SUDDENLY THEY ARE FINANCED TO TAKE OVER THE REIGNS OF GOVERNANCE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE STATES.

WHEN AKABUEZE CONTESTS AS GOVERNOR IN 2015, EVERY1 WILL REMEMBER MY WORDS
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by jason123: 3:24pm On Feb 02, 2011
. . . . . . . . . . And they say yorubas are too tribalistic? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by Ibime(m): 3:47pm On Feb 02, 2011
Igbo commissioner in Lagos?

Lagosians are far ahead of the rest of the country. . . .forget!
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by T9ksy(m): 4:21pm On Feb 02, 2011
I am about Igboland first and foremost. Why should he help the development of another man's land?

The above is a testament of the rationale that beget the purported 1953 carpet-crossing. The yorubas then, asked themselves the same question about Zik. They knew zik would not develop Yorubaland whilst his own region is stagnant or lacking behind. Thanks to Pa Awo and his ilk who put paid to igbo's hegemony in yorubaland.

Remember your people said we Igbos have no right to claim Lagos.

Why are you igbos so obsessed with Lagos?  Shey na your papa's land? Zik tried in the 40's and he failed. why u no go claim abuja na? Afterall, you guys claim you own 90% of the place? If you guys are landlocked-tough. if you guys need access to the sea-tough. However, don't think you can claim my ancestral home under the guise of some platitudes like One Nigeria.shooor

When we see an Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio, or even a Tiv governor of Lagos, then I shall change my mind

Who cares whether you change your mind or not. Lagos is in yorubaland  and as such you 'll never have a non-indigene become governor of the state. Especially igbos as we don't trust you guys. we have never trusted you guys in the past and certainly not now or in fact, EVER!

If una want take ovea another man's land, try Gabon! I heard there's a lot of you guys there so you should be able to over-run them with ease.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by jason123: 4:59pm On Feb 02, 2011
Ibime:

You can say that again smiley
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by Afam4eva(m): 5:06pm On Feb 02, 2011
Ibime:

Pls keep quiet. Big deal right. There was a yoruba commisioner in Nnamani's Government.

Like i keep saying what's the big deal any other tribe being a commissioner in Lagos. Afterall these people contribute and pay their taxes in Lagos. Are you this daft or have you been in coma for so many years that you don't know that an Austrain was the governor of california. Now compare that with someone from the same control been named a commisioner.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by tpiah2: 5:10pm On Feb 02, 2011
fstranger Did an Igbo man steal you woman before?

i did ask him questions about his woman or women, which he refused to answer.

eg what type does he date, etc.

he's cussed out virtually every race, ethnicity and creed on this forum, without fear or favour, so it's very hard to tell.

he might have a thing for ethiopians however?
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by EkoIle1: 5:38pm On Feb 02, 2011
afam4eva:

Pls keep quiet. Big deal right. There was a yoruba commisioner in Nnamani's Government.

Like i keep saying what's the big deal any other tribe being a commissioner in Lagos. Afterall these people contribute and pay their taxes in Lagos. Are you this daft or have you been in coma for so many years that you don't know that an Austrain was the governor of california. Now compare that with someone from the same control been named a commisioner.

Must you people keep peddling the same rubbish?

Btw, label yourself daft too.  A Californian/An American is the Governor of California, not an Austrian.
Re: Lagos Needs N7trn For Infrastructural Devt- Akabueze (igbo Commissioner) by aljharem(m): 6:00pm On Feb 02, 2011
afam4eva:

no no no brother, pls do not be stu.pid here

they you pay tax, why not go to jos and contest if you will not be killed by the noon of that day

do not take there accommodating nature for been soft,.,. i dey tell you now before you people start complaining of killing of igbos in lagos undecided undecided cry cry cry

just give the people of lagos credit for not being ethnocentric like other part of the country

you do not believe me, come to kaduna or ask the governor to appoint an igbo commissioner,.,. then see what will happen that day cry

just give credit to whom it is due to,.,. ie fashola undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Solution To The Flood Problem In Lagos / From The Wasted Generation To The RE-TA-RDED Generation / Senate Plans Changes To 2013 Budget Over Flooding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.