Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. (17927 Views)

A Plea For Peace Between The Igbo & Yoruba / Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo / Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ikengawo: 9:26am On Feb 02, 2011
If nigeria is illegitimate because it's a British creation or 'forced marriage' then so is the Yoruba tribe, the Igbo tribe, and the Hausa.

in the pre-colonial era there was no such a thing as Igbo. Igbo is not even an Igbo word. the british classified a group of disconnected warring villages together based on geographic location, and a common language which most igbo will admit outside of their own state is mutually unintelligiable (Rivers igbos can't understand anambra igbos for example). Originally Igbo was a term for slaves east of the Niger including Ijaws and Kalabari, it had nothing to even do with language, it simply solidified to mean what it means today at the end of colonialism. Until Biafra there was never an igbo state of union of igbos and most igbo villages worst enemies were other igbo villages, not other tribes.

in the pre-colonial era, there was no such a thing as Yoruba. Though the people have more claim to being a united tribe then the igbos do, the myth of a united Yoruba is simply a myth. Some would say all Yoruba have a common ancestor, but according to yoruba mythology, ALL humans came from Oduduwa, not just Yoruba, so the common ancestor myth is just propaganda. The Yoruba recognized themselves as Oyo, or Ife, or Ibadan or whatever specific city state that originated from. These city states, like the igbo villages, saw EACH OTHER as their worst enemies and throughout history constantly conquered each other, and fought EACH OTHER in war. These 'yoruba' kindgoms also incorporated Bini, Fon, and even Ashante from Ghana, so to say these kingdoms are evidence of the existence of a 'yoruba' nation pre-colonialism then Ashante and Fon are also Yoruba. Oyo saw the Fon as simply vassals in the same way the saw Ibadan. Enemies and Subjects, not brothers. There was no Yoruba, the word originates from a bastardization of what the Hausa called the people west of the Niger (Yoruba). Yoruba isn't even a Yoruba word.

There was also no 'Hausa' before colonialism. They, like the Yoruba were seperate city states who's worst enemies were EACH OTHER, not other tribes. There was no sense of brotherhood, baKano fought bakatsina fiercely as they fought bazamafara and so forth. Of the 3 tribes the hausa were the closest to precolonial nation with the Sokoto Caliphate, but that was called the SOKOTO CALIPHATE, not the HAUSA CALIPHATE. Simply the dominance of Sokoto Fulani over a large heterogenous empire.

the british grouped 'similar' peoples together to make statistic taking, conquest, colonization, and classification easier. they also made up hyper-ethnicities like Bantu, which means an igbo man has something in common with a congolese man that he doesn't with an Idoma man (who is, i guess, not bantu)

North East and West regions were colonial inventions, As were the 'tribes' that 'controlled' these regions.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by EzeUche2(m): 9:38am On Feb 02, 2011
I already knew where you were going, when you asked me those questions. Anyway, I will comment later concerning this topic, because what you posted is complete and utter nonsense.

There have always been Igbos, Hausa & Yorubas even before the British arrived. Maybe not in the sense that it is today, but we have always been here.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ikengawo: 7:30am On Feb 06, 2011
that's not true. there was never an Hausa tribe, and Igbo tribe or Yoruba tribe

'yorubas' were Oyos, and Ifes, or Ibadans

Igbos were Onitcha, Awo, Aro, and so forth

Hausas were baKanisa baKano and so forth

if it was any other way then who is the king of the yorubas? who is the king of the igbos and who is the king of the hausa?

even the sokoto caliphate was simply the dominance of the sokoto people over a large portion of northern nigeria that included Yoruba, Nupe, and or middle belt land.

1 Like

Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Nobody: 7:33am On Feb 06, 2011
These 'yoruba' kindgoms also incorporated Bini, Fon, and even Ashante from Ghana, so to say these kingdoms are evidence of the existence of a 'yoruba' nation pre-colonialism then Ashante and Fon are also Yoruba

Is there a link to this info?

So Oyo Empire (Yoruba) might have some connections with the Ghanaians? hmmm wink
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ekubear1: 7:45am On Feb 06, 2011
Err, no they were not. Least, not Yoruba. Even before the British came, we recognized that we were kin. . .

Just the concept of ethnicity and nationalism wasn't very important in the 1800s.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Nobody: 8:35am On Feb 06, 2011
Well bros, i realy like ur thinking!
I realy canot say much abot ibo or hausa but Yoruba, haba bros i think u r wrong! Acoding to my dico: A nation s a comunity pple of mainly comon descent, language, history or political institutions and usualy sharing 1teritory and goverment.
We the children of Lamurudu, the father of Oduduwa have a comon descent in Oduduwa and we speak comon language tainted by local dialect, we have a comon history, from the Egbas, the Oyos, the Binis, the Ijesas to others. Our religion and political institutions are all the same throughout yorubaland. We do not truely have a central govt and that actualy is not a criterial fo being a nation.
Yes I may agree wt u that the name 'Yoruba' is a word coined by some people to describe us, but can u say there is no Africa because Africa is not an African word?

1 Like

Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by fstranger6: 8:51am On Feb 06, 2011
Ikengawo:

that's not true. there was never an Hausa tribe, and Igbo tribe or Yoruba tribe

'yorubas' were Oyos, and Ifes, or Ibadans

Igbos were Onitcha, Awo, Aro, and so forth

Hausas were baKanisa baKano and so forth

if it was any other way then who is the king of the yorubas? who is the king of the igbos and who is the king of the hausa?

even the sokoto caliphate was simply the dominance of the sokoto people over a large portion of northern nigeria that included Yoruba, Nupe, and or middle belt land.

I totally agree with you

The Oyinbo people actually created us

Hence, Oyinbo is God and God is Oyinbo

Anywhere, how is your treatment going?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ikengawo: 8:52am On Feb 06, 2011
Ok, well all germanic white people have the same 'origins' as well. similar institutions, similar languages and similar cultures

but Germany, Austria, the Neatherlands, Denmark, and England are all seperate nations.

that's what im saying. Culture and Nation is not the same thing. Yoruba is a blanket term for cultures that encompassed the NATIONS of Oyo, Ife, Ibadan, Bini, and so forth.

yeah they spoke the same language, but so does Australia, Canada, UK, US, Kenya and Nigeria.
yeah they have the same traditional forms of government, but so does France, Italy, Germany England and so forth

the difference is all the yoruba nations had their own governments and identities. Oyo have their Oba, bini have their Oba, Ife and so forth, even Lagos, but there's no Oba of Yoruba because prior to the british the identity 'yoruba' didn't exist.

evidence to this is that fact that in South America, Yorubas weren't called Yorubas, they were called Lucumi.
they also went by the names Nana, Anago and Nago.

it wasn't until later in the 19th century that the term Yoruba (which is what the Hausa used to refer to everyone west of the Niger river) was being used by the BRITISH to describe the peoples to the West. Yoruba is a 'Yorubization' of the word Yoruba

the word Igbo as we all know is Yoruba for 'bush' and was used to describe all people west of the Niger river, including Ogoni, Ijaw, Ibibio and so forth.

its like today how many nigerians refer to Arabs, europeans, latin americans and even asians sometimes as "whites"

just ignorant blanket terms used by people that don't understand their neighbors.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ikengawo: 8:56am On Feb 06, 2011
I totally agree with you

The Oyinbo people actually created us

Hence, Oyinbo is God and God is Oyinbo

Anywhere, how is your treatment going?

your attempt at sarcasm based on a half informed ignorant misinterpretation of fact that I and most scholars are presenting you with is embarrassing.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by fstranger6: 9:00am On Feb 06, 2011
Ikengawo:

your attempt at sarcasm based on a half informed ignorant misinterpretation of fact that I and most scholars are presenting you with is embarrassing.

I agree with you

That said, how is your treatment going

BTW, I didnt know Bini people are Yoruba too?

You are indeed a great scholar! Just keep your scholarly work to yourself, and leave the rest of us sane people from this pepper-soup talk you and your pepper-soup scholars are trying to shove up my arse!
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ikengawo: 9:06am On Feb 06, 2011
this is not my scholarly work, this is history.

If you don't believe me then what does the word Yoruba mean in Yoruba?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Nobody: 9:08am On Feb 06, 2011
Ikengawo:

this is not my scholarly work, this is history.

If you don't believe me then what does the word Yoruba mean in Yoruba?

is this a joke ? shocked shocked

google it.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ikengawo: 9:12am On Feb 06, 2011
It's like the word Africa.
We can call ourselves a united continent, but the word Africa is a european word, latin to be precise and it was a general term for the land mass south of the Mediterranean with the origin of the world being what the romans called a particular village in Tunisia.

but today we call ourselves africans and have an African Union when there's not Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Akan, Zulu, Lingala or Amaharic word for Africa.

Now, am i saying Europeans invented "africa"?

no. There was people and nations their before europeans existed.

but the united[b] identity[/b] as "africa" is a european construct

as was the unitd[b] identity [/b]of nigeria
as was the united[b] identity[/b] of igbo, hausa, and yoruba.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ikengawo: 9:16am On Feb 06, 2011

is this a joke ?  Shocked Shocked

google it.

i googled it and got a lot of tribalistic nonsense from this site that didn't help me find the answer you wanted me to find.

so why don't you just tell me.

what does Yoruba mean in Yoruba?
Why does every yoruba city state have it's own king if they're a united entity? how many kings does the united entity of ancient England have? how many emperors does the united entity of ancient China have?

Igbo has no meaning in Igbo

I can tell you now that England means Land of the Anglos in it you see the english word 'land' and the identity of the NATION 'Anglo-Saxon'

so what does Yoruba mean in Yoruba?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by fstranger6: 9:20am On Feb 06, 2011
Ikengawo:

i googled it and got a lot of tribalistic nonsense from this site that didn't help me find the answer you wanted me to find.

so why don't you just tell me.

what does Yoruba mean in Yoruba?

I can tell you now that England means Land of the Anglos in it you see the english word 'land' and the identity of the NATION 'Anglo-Saxon'

so what does Yoruba mean in Yoruba?

Do you speak Yoruba?

So we Yorubas gave you your identity, glad to know that

So you are my biatch?  Anyway, what does English mean in English?

Odechukwu
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ikengawo: 9:27am On Feb 06, 2011
Do you speak Yoruba?

So we Yorubas gave you your identity, glad to know that

So you are my biatch?  Anyway, what does Englis mean in English?

Odechukwu

why are you using childish terms like biatch?It's very unbecoming. You seem to be getting emotional about this internet discussion.

English= Of Anglo origin
England= land of the Anglos
one monarch
one identity
went to conquer other surrounding nations and tribes to form the United Kingdom under the dominance of England. Both United and Kingdown are English words. You can thus see who created this united identity of United Kingdom.

now BRITIAN is a foreign word. It was the word the Romans used to identify the entire Island and Ireland and was originally Brittanica.

the united[b] identity[/b] of Britain comes from Rome, it just took English military force to glue to all together an use that 'identity' as justification.

the word Britain has no meaning in English, it's not an English word.
It has no meaning in Welsh, Scottish, Gallic, and the other languages that inhibited the island.

the word Yoruba has no meaning in Yoruba, it's not a Yoruba word
the word Oyo has a meaning
the word Ibadan has a meaning
the word Abeokuta has a meaning
the word Eko has a meaning.

like with the Igbo

the word Enugu has a meaning
the word Onitcha has a meaning
the word Owerri has a meaning
the word Aba has a meaning

yes we are now a united entity but the in MY dialect of igbo Enugu wouldn't be Enugu, it would be Elugu, but we ignore these things so that we can call ourselves 'one' when to begin with we weren't one, we were many and there's nothing wrong with this.

same with the yoruba and hausa.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ikengawo: 9:33am On Feb 06, 2011
Even Germany has no meaning in German.

German was a term used by the Romans to identify all 'barbaric' tribes north of the italian penninsula.

up until Bismark Germany was divided into hundreds of city states, each was it's own nation, each had it's own army, each had it's own kings, each had their own laws.

the Germans formed what is essentially and artificial union of these 'German' peoples, but since the idea of a unity 'german' identity was a Roman one, the name German too was a Roman one.

Then you look at the yoruba. Thousands of city states, own laws, own customs, own kings, own armies, constantly fighting each other even. They form an artificial 'nation' based on an identity a foreign entity gave them ('yoruba') and now they're one.

there's nothing worng with any of this, it's natural and most nations are born this way.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by olaolabiy: 9:33am On Feb 06, 2011
You are right - to an extent.

But got some really wrong sha.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ikengawo: 9:35am On Feb 06, 2011
what's wrong?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Kenezi: 9:55am On Feb 06, 2011
Then why is Igbo-Ukwu named such?

England is just a portmanteau of two words, Eng, which has no meaning, and Land. Eng is a form of the word Angle, another word which has no meaning in English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angles
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ojiofor: 2:07pm On Feb 06, 2011
Mr poster I have question for you.there are several Igbo cities around Igboland that named their villages/cities for example Igbo-Etiti in Enugu,Igbo-Ukwu in Anambra,Obi-Igbo in Rivers state,Akwukwo-Igbo in Delta state and Ama-Igbo in Imo state just to mention a few.now my question is, does it mean that these towns and villages came into existence after the arival of the British.thank you.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Feb 06, 2011
Mr ikengawo, I quite agree wit u, somebody might have given us that name 'Yoruba', but all the nations of yoruba believe that they have a comon ancestor and their culture is very the same, wit little local variations! Can u say this of yoruba and hausa, no.
By the way, the 'IGBO' in Yoruba language is not pronouce the same as that fo the people of the East. More so, as u know Yoruba is a tonic language, igbo does not have a singular meaning in Yoruba, it depends on how it sounds wen pronounced!
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by amazonia(m): 6:31pm On Feb 06, 2011
@op
All i will say is, you're wrong.

The GB (gb) sound, is a primordial sound we replicate by Drums.
We Africans are the people of the drums.Quintessential Edo.
While some other people  are of the  strings, due to the windy nature
of their evolutionary environments.

Essex one of the original ethnics.
Anglo invading migrants fishermen.
Constitutes ENG. The first letter of Essex, E, and the second and third letters of Anglo. NG.
Lish and land are words for language/territory in one or more of the many ethnic groups there, like Celtics,welsh etc
The Saxons came much later, in greater numbers from the interiors of what is present day Germany.
The Anglo and Saxons dominated, thus the  Anglo-Saxon. Of course the word have since evolved to mean almost all whites. Excluding Spanish,Jews,Arabs,Slavic's,mongos etc. Especially in USA.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by udezue(m): 7:21pm On Feb 06, 2011
Ikengawo, please explain to us the existence of the Igbo-Ukwu, Obi-Igbo, Igbo-Etiti since you know so much.

LOL @ The British created Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba. What about Itsekiri, Ijo, Efik-Ibibio, Zulu?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ojiofor: 8:30pm On Feb 06, 2011
I am still waiting for answer from the poster.thank you.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by udezue(m): 8:31pm On Feb 06, 2011
He has disappeared. LOL
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ezeagu(m): 8:33pm On Feb 06, 2011
Akwukwu Igbo (Delta State)
Ob[b]igbo[/b] (Rivers State)
Etiti Igbo (Imo State)
Igbo Ukwu (Anambra State)

Can you please tell me the meaning of these town names from across the whole of Igboland?

udezue:

Ikengawo, please explain to us the existence of the Igbo-Ukwu, Obi-Igbo, Igbo-Etiti since you know so much.

LOL @ The British created Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba. What about Itsekiri, Ijo, Efik-Ibibio, Zulu?

I didn't even see this.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ojiofor: 8:37pm On Feb 06, 2011
@ezeagu,i know u didint see my post too, LOL, UMUİGBO SEF
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ezeagu(m): 8:57pm On Feb 06, 2011
Ojiofor:

@ezeagu,i know u didint see my post too, LOL, UMUİGBO SEF

Are you doubting me?

Ikengawo:

in the pre-colonial era there was no such a thing as Igbo. Igbo is not even an Igbo word. the british classified a group of disconnected warring villages together based on geographic location, and a common language which most igbo will admit outside of their own state is mutually unintelligiable (Rivers igbos can't understand anambra igbos for example). Originally Igbo was a term for slaves east of the Niger including Ijaws and Kalabari, it had nothing to even do with language, it simply solidified to mean what it means today at the end of colonialism. Until Biafra there was never an igbo state of union of igbos and most igbo villages worst enemies were other igbo villages, not other tribes.

Chaaaiiiiiii! Are you Igbo? Heeeeeaaaaaaa, I don't want to know the answer!

How can "Rivers" Igbo not understand Anambra Igbo when many Ijaw people can understand Anambra Igbo? Did you say slaves? Are crazy? Did you just say there was no Igbo union before the Biafra-Nigeria war when there was an Igbo union in the 19th century in Sierra Leone? He le o! Politicarry corase will not kill us.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Afam4eva(m): 9:00pm On Feb 06, 2011
@ Ikengawo

Pls just shut your face. It's obvious you don't know anything about your country. Stop displaying childish ignorance here abeg. You can't even construct a simple sentence in your mother tongue.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by henry101(m): 9:07pm On Feb 06, 2011
ezeagu:

Are you doubting me?

Chaaaiiiiiii! Are you Igbo? Heeeeeaaaaaaa, I don't want to know the answer!

How can "Rivers" Igbo not understand Anambra Igbo when many Ijaw people can understand Anambra Igbo? Did you say slaves? Are crazy? Did you just say there was no Igbo union before the Biafra-Nigeria war when there was an Igbo union in the 19th century in Sierra Leone? He le o! Politicarry corase will not kill us.

I was about to say that. Not only in sierra leone, there was an Igbo Union in Gambia in the 19th century.(1842)
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by EzeUche2(m): 9:18pm On Feb 06, 2011
Ikengawo:

These 'yoruba' kindgoms also incorporated Bini, Fon, and even Ashante from Ghana, so to say these kingdoms are evidence of the existence of a 'yoruba' nation pre-colonialism then Ashante and Fon are also Yoruba.

That is completely false. Never in the history of the Asante people were they ever conquered by any Yoruba kingdom. Stop peddling falsehoods.

"Akan political organization centered on various clans, each headed by a paramount chief or Amanhene. One of these clans, the Oyoko, settled Ghana’s sub-tropical forest region, establishing a center at Kumasi. During the rise of another Akan state known as Denkyira, the Ashanti became tributaries. Later in the mid-17th century, the Oyoko clan under Chief Oti Akenten started consolidating other Ashanti clans into a loose confederation that occurred without destroying the authority of each paramount chief over his clan. This was done in part by military assault, but largely by uniting them against the Denkyira, who had previously dominated the region.

In the 1670s, then head of the Oyoko clan, Osei Kofi Tutu I, began another rapid consolidation of Akan peoples via diplomacy and warfare. King Osei Kofu Tutu I and his chief advisor, Okomfo Kwame Frimpon Anokye led a coalition of influential Ashanti city-states against their mutual oppressor, the Denkyira who held Asanteman as one of its tributaries. Asanteman utterly defeated them at the Battle of Feyiase, proclaiming its independence in 1701."

Asante history started when they were a tributary state of another Akan speaking tribe, known as the Denkyira. Yoruba kingdoms never extended into the Ashanti homeland. And the Asante actually clashed with the Oyo Empire in modern day Togo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fayose Hopes To See Osinbajo Patronize Barbing Saloons In Ajegunle, Baga Zamfara / Don’t Be Deceived By Osinbajo, PDP Tells Lagosians / Oshiomhole & Obaseki Campaign For Johnny Ogumah, APC House Of Reps Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.