Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,858 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North (26633 Views)

2023 Presidency: Mass Defection Looms In South East PDP / South East PDP Governors Re-consider The Buhari Option / PDP Rejects Ekiti Election Process, Says Results Were Concocted By APC. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Nexus25(f): 7:28am On Jul 08, 2020
2023: S’East PDP rejects zoning presidential ticket to North
•Don’t assault Igbo sensibilities, group warns Suswam, PDP

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), South East zone, yesterday, rejected the rumoured zoning of the presidential ticket to the North in 2023.

National Vice Chairman, South East, Chief Austine Umahi, in a statement in Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, said the decision on zoning of the presidential ticket has not been discussed by the leadership of the party.

Umahi was reacting to a recent statement by former Governor of Benue State, Gabriel Suswam, that the PDP had zoned its 2023 presidential ticket to the North.

He said the former Benue governor “passed personal wishes” as the collective decision of the party, and urged the National Working Committee(NWC) of the party to quickly address Suswam’s coment for the interest of peace and unity of the party.

Umahi said no zone should be neglected or underrated in the decision-making process of the party, especially the South East, which he said had made tremendous sacrifices for the growth, wellbeing and survival of the PDP.

“As a member of the NWC of our great party, I am shocked and embarrassed at this disclosure, as the NWC had never discussed nor taken any such decision. As a political party, positions are only zoned in the PDP after they have been robustly debated by all six zones and unanimously agreed on as serving the best interest of the unity of the party and national exigencies. As such, the NWC of our party cannot allow Senator Suswam to pass across personal wishes as collective resolve, except if it is a case of the bird dancing by the road with the drummer lurking in the nearby bush. The statement amounts to one being a judge in his case, which offends all known laws of natural justice.”

Also, a leading pan-Igbo organisation, Igbo Leadership Development Foundation (ILDF), lambasted Suswam for saying the PDP would zone the office to the North in 2023, advising him not to insult Igbo sensibilities.

The group accused the former Benue governor of “uncanny and overly ambitious interests” and of “flying a dangerous kite that would finally sink the PDP.”

Suswam, in an exclusive interview on Sunday, held that since the PDP failed to win the 2019 presidential election, which it zoned to the North, the party would still retain the ticket in the region since it did not win.

A statement by director of public affairs for ILDF, Dr. Law Mefor, in Abuja, yesterday, queried the rationale behind Suswam’s claim that the PDP was bound to zone the President to the North in 2023.

The group said such utterances and scheming go a long way in confirming the lack of commitment to a single term for the party’s candidate in 2019 in order for a South East candidate to be fielded in 2023.

“The fact that the Senator Ike Ekweremadu-led PDP post-election review panel, in its wisdom, zoned the 2019 presidential ticket to the North to assuage the region’s feelings over the earlier breach of the zoning formula and to ensure that a fellow northerner squared up with President Muhammadu Buhari does not in any way mean that the ticket is now resident in the North. Feigning ignorance of the fact that the dynamics that informed the 2019 zoning have absolutely changed because the North has had two straight terms under President Buhari is most unfortunate.

“It is saddening that Suswam and his drummers ignored the monumental contributions of the South East to the fortunes of the PDP since its inception by sticking with the party through thick and thin. The region has not only contributed immensely to the party’s presidential victories in four straight presidential elections, but was also the bastion of the opposition and rebuilding of the party since 2015.”

Mefor faulted Suswam’s idea of power rotation and warned the lawmaker and the PDP against taking the support of the South East and the South generally for granted.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/2023-seast-pdp-rejects-zoning-presidential-ticket-to-north/

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Amotolongbo(f): 7:36am On Jul 08, 2020
This is where the Ndigbo and Atiku Abubakar go fight.

I don’t see Atiku backing out on his presidential ambition, and the last time I checked, Atiku is from the North east and not south east.

97 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Haywhysat: 7:38am On Jul 08, 2020
It is very logical... Only fools will believe a region (North) will rule for 16 years.... Both APC and PDP will zone their tickets to South cum 2023.....

80 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Brandstudio01: 7:40am On Jul 08, 2020
Hnnm
Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Homeboiy: 7:48am On Jul 08, 2020
undecided

I don't trust these south east governors

20 Likes

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Charmingrascal(m): 7:52am On Jul 08, 2020
No party will risk giving its Presidential ticket to the South East.

It's a big risk that can end the relevance of a political party. That's the bitter truth

165 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by GuyWise101(m): 7:55am On Jul 08, 2020
Igbos are only demanding that PDP and Apc should zone their candidate in SE alone as it was done to Yorubas and North when it was their turn.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by tamdun: 7:56am On Jul 08, 2020
Now you are talking,no region deserve pdp presidential ticket more than South East, APC will not give you their ticket because they hardly get 5% of south East votes and if pdp failed to give u the ticket, I see no reason why u should continue with the loyalty except...

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by InfoSources: 7:59am On Jul 08, 2020
cool
Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Cogs(m): 8:00am On Jul 08, 2020
It's not about who becomes president, the same history of Corruption would continue.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by tillaman(m): 8:00am On Jul 08, 2020
The matter go long I swear but we know the outcome already

3 Likes

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by kaylardz(m): 8:00am On Jul 08, 2020
lol...this one is speaking for himself.
I trust my Ibo brothers, they dare not face a Yoruba man in general election cos the beating will be too much. meanwhile, 1,000 Atiku can never stop a Yoruba Presidency in 2023.

112 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by PigTormentor: 8:00am On Jul 08, 2020
The real Fulani slaves grin grin grin grin

Let the Pandemic Development Party - PDP field another Fulani. The real Fulani slaves can't wait to vote for another Fulani, it's their modus operandi since the first Republic.

81 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 08, 2020
GuyWise101:
Igbos are only demanding that PDP and Apc should zone their candidate in SE alone as it was done to Yorubas and North when it was their turn.

Clown.. U can only get pdp own..

Never with APC..

Did APC and pdp field a Yoruba man together

Did they field a hausa man together..

Guy face the truth.... PDP VS APC... Is igbo VS yoruba

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Seventy7kings: 8:00am On Jul 08, 2020
cheesy
does that mean that Atiku wont cum?

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Trailblazer1(m): 8:01am On Jul 08, 2020
This is very good.

It's a make or Mar year for the Southeast cool

3 Likes

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by etibaba(m): 8:01am On Jul 08, 2020
Now this is how to play politics, PDP owes South East for their support unlike South East expecting a party they have never supported (APC) to reward them with the number 1 position ticket.

You can't work and retire in company A and queue up to get your salary and Gratuity at company B.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by kalvoken(m): 8:01am On Jul 08, 2020
Charmingrascal:
No party will risk giving its Presidential ticket to the South East.

It's a big risk that can end the relevance of a political party. That's the bitter truth

LOL, so it's now your benue village they would confidently zone their tickets to?

Don't be surprised when APC refurbish orji uzo Kalu and present him instead of tinubu. This means pdp will have no choice than to field Peter obi.

But all these are in my dreams, northerners will never allow South to mount that seat. They have built that disunity in Southern regions so they can cling to power perpetually.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:02am On Jul 08, 2020
SOUTH EAST: IS IT NOT TOO LATE?

I have read the recent transmissions by Senator Bukola Saraki directed at my Igbo tribe. I have deliberately kept mum on this as I had earlier resolved to speak less on Igbos as regards the 2019 Elections and 2023 Presidency having said quite a bit. 

However seeing as some of my brethren have swallowed the cheap bait, I will chip this in just to keep the reality before us, at least for posterity sake. Truth is bitter but it's still the best medicine. 

My people say; 'He who does not remember where the rain started beating him, will not remember where it stopped'. 

REWIND TO 2014. 
A new National Party was being conceived. Political Parties, political players and Regions were being wooed to the new alliance. 

'We' Igbos (read South East) vehemently refused to touch it even with a long pole. We packaged, sold to ourselves and bought the baseless propaganda that it was an Islamic alliance that would birth an "Islamic" and "Hausa" Party. Simply because those our brethren heavily invested in the PDP at the time were afraid of losing their vested selfish interests.
Till today I'm still trying to fathom the basis for that wicked and twisted deceit especially as many of those Igbo elites who sold that dummy have since ported to the same APC.

We failed to even identify with that new Alliance. Hence the Party, APC was birthed without any remarkable input from us or presence. The few amongst us who aligned were called all kinds of names and abused to high heavens by us even when they were proven right afterall.

Thus the few Igbos who were part of it were at best fringe players as they didn't have the required clout to make serious demands and do the necessary political wheeling and dealing required in Politics to strike the hard bargains since politics is all about interests and numbers. They were even suspect, so much so that it was only their personal political sagacity that gave them whatever they got.

That Party went on to win the Presidential Election which in truth, most of us never believed it could or would, because of our half baked permutations and poor understanding of Nigerian politics. But it did. 

Curiously we turned up at the fore front of telling this same Party how it should share it's 'spoils of war'. We became hypocritical moral champions with an over bloated sense of entitlement. Who does that, in all political reality and practicality? But we did, even while vehemently and vociferously still refusing to shift our position, style and rhethoric.

We dug in. Supported every bad thing and person against the Party, the elected President and the Administration while denying any and every good done to and for our Region.

Fast forward to where we are today. Almost four years after the 2015 misadventure, we have stayed put at 2015, refusing to move forward, refusing to shift grounds, refusing to play pragmatic politics, telling ourselves the same lies we cooked and bought in 2015 and some more. 

Now after election, we have started again saying "APC cannot give Presidency to Igbos in 2023". "Buhari cannot hand over to an Igbo man because Buhari hates Igbos". "APC is deceiving you", bla bla bla.

Of course. We will believe Saraki, who has only but a fanthom dream of becoming President and whose only known record is selfishness but we can't believe Buhari who's already President and who has a record of voluntarily picking two great Igbo sons as running mates in the past? Chukwu aju.

It is interesting and vital to note here that the PDP which many of us still proudly support and adore was in power for 16 solid years and in those years there were 4 Presidential Inaugurations and on none of those was an Igbo man found worthy by the PDP of even Vice Presidency and we are still bold to say it is the APC that has not even finished one tenure that doesn't want to give power to Igbos. Odi nma. 

NOW; Seriously, let's be sincere. As things stand today politically, why would the APC even hand power to us Igbos in 2023? 
On what grounds? 
On what records?
On what politics?
Is power given to anyone? 
Is it an appeasement or a gift? 

The APC is a political party. The main focus of a political Party is to hold power and keep it to enable it deliver on its agenda. So if the APC reads that the SE does not want the Presidency or does not have the capacity to help them win and keep power, they will stick with the regions that can and work with individuals who are interested. 

Make no mistake, I have always said, I do not blame us Igbos for the decision majority of us took in 2015. It's our right. But continuing to pretend that it was other regions, Buhari or the APC that made us do what we did then or remain where we are today is purely self deceit and I refuse to play that ostrich game. 

As far back as 2014, I and many others made that argument that Igbo Presidency was very feasible in 2023, ONLY under under the APC, ONLY IF we did a couple of things right politically. I personally continued to speak loudly on that even after the 2015 elections until when I realized that we were not ready to play the politics that was required and now I dare say it may be too late. Or is it not? Time will tell.

For now, we can continue to tell ourselves that we cannot hold the Presidency of Nigeria. We heard and read many of our brethren go from PDP to Biafra/seccesion (read IPOB) to Referendum to "Igbos do not need Presidency but Restructuring" etc forgetting that all that didn't lie squarely with us alone. We think other regions are not reading our body language?

We really don't care what Saraki writes or says because they've all come to realize that it's very easy to play us like a flute. So like Saraki, like Fani Kayode, like Fayose, like Atiku, even Jonah Jang of all people, they keep playing us.

We have learnt not to bother ourself anymore to avoid unnecessary arguements with nonentities
As some of us have said, it's good governance we want, even if only one village will be producing the Presidents. So be it..

Ka Chineke mezie okwu.

J.I

omoalaro:
Wow, this surely is one of the best written opinion I have read this year.
Only a sensible person like you can ever see sense in this.
Glad to see we still have intelligent people with a sound mind like you around.
God bless you.
God bless Nigeria.

66 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by Kobicove(m): 8:02am On Jul 08, 2020
Where is this rumour coming from?

The north cannot have two consecutive shots at the presidency!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by ahiboilandgas: 8:02am On Jul 08, 2020
GuyWise101:
u dont know north..they can zone apc and pdp to southeast and suddenly vote another northern in prp to win

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by opalu: 8:02am On Jul 08, 2020
Ok
Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by techmo(m): 8:02am On Jul 08, 2020
GuyWise101:

Nobody zoned anything in 99

Alex Ekwueme contested the Jos Primaries against Obasanjo and lost under PDP

cool

21 years a PDP/ northern slaves hahahaha

Time to beg your PDP/North master

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by wonuks(m): 8:02am On Jul 08, 2020
shocked
Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by jojofola: 8:02am On Jul 08, 2020
Make we scatter everything abeg!!

This is a prayer for everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjoKWnqg6ZI

3 Likes

Re: 2023: South-East PDP Rejects Zoning Of Presidential Ticket To North by tesppidd: 8:03am On Jul 08, 2020
Initial gra gra.

The South East has been the pillar of PDP ever since but their only value to PDP is getting votes for them.

Even then,
By the time they zone it to them now, they will present 100 people who would never step down for one another.

37 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Prison Attack: Bandits Acting A Script, Protect South-west, Gani Adams Warns IGP / Governor Bala Mohammed Dances With Daughter, Zara At Her Wedding (Video) / South African Mercenaries' Secret War On Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.