Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:50 AM

Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy (23562 Views)

Help Does. Indonesia Have An Embassy In Lagos / Taking A Friend To An Embassy Or An Invitation Letter For Us Visa? / Nigerians Feel Absence Of An Embassy In Qatar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by eghost247(m): 7:43am On Feb 04, 2011
Tell Us About Your First Visa How Anxious u were and how it went at the Embassy
Share Your Stories
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by eghost247(m): 9:10am On Feb 04, 2011
Come On People Dont Just View Share Your Experiences
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by rebranded(m): 11:55am On Feb 04, 2011
Haha tell Us yours Oga!
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by eghost247(m): 11:56am On Feb 04, 2011
rebranded:

Haha tell Us yours Oga!
After You Oga
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by saintneo(m): 12:30pm On Feb 04, 2011
angry

shocked

grin
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by olumyde5(m): 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2011
Nervous was the answer when I saw a huge crowd in front of the Yankee embassy in VI(wasnt going there anyway) then i proceeded to the British High Commission was still nervous though but managed to compose my self

1 Like

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by eewule(m): 12:41pm On Feb 04, 2011
The poster is supposed to start by telling us his own story

1 Like

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by eghost247(m): 12:50pm On Feb 04, 2011
olumyde5:

Nervous was the answer when I saw a huge crowd in front of the Yankee embassy in VI(wasnt going there anyway) then i proceeded to the British High Commission was still nervous though but managed to compose my self
And how did it go details man
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by Ibomade1: 1:05pm On Feb 04, 2011
Was as cool as cucumber when I got to British High Commission in Abuja. Was chatting on the fone and even forgot the application fee in my sister's car. The good thing was back then there was hardly any queue in Abuja as oppose to Lagos where people would queue up for hours . I just didn't understand why folks could not come to Abuja.

To cut the story short went outside the embassy, called my sister and she came with the money, entered the interview room and they guy was talking through his a.r.s.e because the woman he interviewed before me insulted him when he refused her visa.
After about 45 minutes which I spent most of it on my own (as the interviewer was busy calling up the bank, dunking his biscuits in his cup of hot chocolate e.t.c) he came out and said he would grant me the visa.

8 Likes

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by eghost247(m): 1:07pm On Feb 04, 2011
Ibo-made:

Was as cool as cucumber when I got to British High Commission in Abuja. Was chatting on the fone and even forgot the application fee in my sister's car. The good thing was back then there was hardly any queue in Abuja as oppose to Lagos where people would queue up for hours . I just didn't understand why folks could not come to Abuja.

To cut the story short went outside the embassy, called my sister and she came with the money, entered the interview room and they guy was talking through his a.r.s.e because the woman he interviewed before me insulted him when he refused her visa.
After about 45 minutes which I spent most of it on my own ( busy calling up the bank, dunking his biscuits in his cup of hot chocolate e.t.c) he came out and said he would grant me the visa.
Nice

1 Like

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by Limaoscar: 1:08pm On Feb 04, 2011
It was British Embassy. Was very nervous. Grilled like KFC. Then refused based on my inability to proof I will return back to Nigeria. I was 26 yrs old on invitation by my Uncle to spend vacation with family in London. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by oluwabamis(m): 1:32pm On Feb 04, 2011
it was in 2001, my sis-in-law invited my family (of 3) to uk. it was very easy. we initially applied for 6 months, but on getting there the guy just asked for my id card & later gave us 2yrs multiple without any interview, i had to quickly arrange for the extra visa fee. maybe itz because i work for an american firm. i didnt even travel with d visa, but my wife & kid did. its more difficult nowadays

3 Likes

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by eghost247(m): 1:39pm On Feb 04, 2011
oluwabamis:

it was in 2001, my sis-in-law invited my family (of 3) to uk. it was very easy. we initially applied for 6 months, but on getting there the guy just asked for my id card & later gave us 2yrs multiple without any interview, i had to quickly arrange for the extra visa fee. maybe itz because i work for an american firm. i didnt even travel with d visa, but my wife & kid did. its more difficult nowadays
Sorry what Id card ? did he ask for
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by pharuk: 2:07pm On Feb 04, 2011
It was in 2008, BHC in abuja, there was really nothing to be nervous about since i had no ojoro papers, the security guy was trying to be authoritative but that dint get him far, got in to c d guy, he was staring at me and wasnt sure to grant or not then i said [s]My friend will you give me that visa before i kidnap your mama!!![/s] is there anything u like to know more, came back days after and i got the visa (not as enthusiastic as i expected)

on my way for an interview in a FTSE 200 company, hope i get the job cheesy

1 Like

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by oluwabamis(m): 2:17pm On Feb 04, 2011
@eghost,
my employment id card
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by blank(f): 2:20pm On Feb 04, 2011

1 Like

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by luckarub(m): 2:27pm On Feb 04, 2011
Only late last year, precisely September, we applied for an Italian Visa, me and my wife, which happens to also be our very first time of applying for any Visa, which means our Passport was a virgin one, we were meant to use our leave to visit, but was delayed for over 7 months and we were still denied that same visa for some reasons that cannot hold waters.

Even because of the weather situation, over there around that Christmas period, I really didn't feel disappointed, but hope to apply again

2 Likes

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by Ninapha(f): 2:29pm On Feb 04, 2011
pharuk:

It was in 2008, BHC in abuja, there was really nothing to be nervous about since i had no ojoro papers, the security guy was trying to be authoritative but that dint get him far, got in to c d guy, he was staring at me and wasnt sure to grant or not then i said [s]My friend will you give me that visa before i kidnap your mama!!![/s] is there anything u like to know more, came back days after and i got the visa (not as enthusiastic as i expected)

@pharuk, I am about going for that of American Embassy,  what were ur question lines as i am always thinking of what the questions would be and it gets me nervous.   Wishing u the luck on ur job interview.
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 04, 2011
i got to eleke crescent as early as 5.30 am,i went into american embassy by 7.30 am and i was interviewed by a white girl,mine was a fiancee visa and hd been waiting for that day for the past 9 months,she asked me few questions and she kept on typing and i was like i have over 200 photographs and call records, she kept on typing and she looked up and asked me would like to pick up your visa your self or you are sending somebody else,i could not answer her again,cos i was moved to tears,i could not control my emotions again and she was like, whaoooo u still have a lot of time to do this, that was one of my happiest day have been separated from my wife for close to 2 years, just because of that sticker called visa.

7 Likes

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by eghost247(m): 3:01pm On Feb 04, 2011
boyestic:

i got to eleke crescent as early as 5.30 am,i went into american embassy by 7.30 am and i was interviewed by a white girl,mine was a fiancee visa and hd been waiting for that day for the past 9 months,she asked me few questions and she kept on typing and i was like i have over 200 photographs and call records, she kept on typing and she looked up and asked me would like to pick up your visa your self or you are sending somebody else,i could not answer her again,cos i was moved to tears,i could not control my emotions again and she was like, whaoooo u still have a lot of time to do this, that was one of my happiest day have been separated from my wife for close to 2 years, just because of that sticker called visa.
Happy for u man

2 Likes

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by pharuk: 3:11pm On Feb 04, 2011
Ninapha:

@pharuk, I am about going for that of American Embassy,  what were your question lines as i am always thinking of what the questions would be and it gets me nervous.   Wishing u the luck on your job interview.

sorry my friend, BHC is British High Commission, and there was no reason for an interview, just wondering what the bloke was up to, i have no idea abt American Embassy cry cry
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by nsidear: 3:16pm On Feb 04, 2011
that was a day in my life history. had my pastors praying for me, text messages from my parent encouraging me to be steadfast, i was equally on fasting, lol. it wasn't funny, o. Got there and was asked to draws a circuit and explain its operation, having been a grad of E/E engine. i asked the i rather drew wiring diagram having observed the lady and realised she did not know much about the field(E/E). Over explain it to her and she just said u are the best. men, i was over joyed. lasted for 10min. so that was it.

1 Like

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by wikitruth: 3:31pm On Feb 04, 2011
There was no interview, I had scholarship to study in the UK and all I needed to do was to submit my passport to the scholarship body and picked it up later. Subsequent UK visas either for business or personal visits was even a lot easier, I get them processed in less than 48 hours. Getting Schengen was easy also, my company usually apply and get that for me. When I went to US embassy, it was just a chat btw me and the visa officer whose concern was just why I am not a civil servant and in few mins I was asked to picked up my passport after 2 days.
Believe most people have problems when they are not down to earth though some visa officers can be crazy sometimes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by forgetInot(f): 3:54pm On Feb 04, 2011
I went to the British embassy in abuja. The guy didn't even look at me. I was 16. All he said to me was 'who would be paying your fees', I said my parents. He said come back tomorrow and get your visa. The interview lasted 3mins.

Before you go in for your interview, they know if they are giving you a visa or not.

3 Likes

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by LoveKing(m): 4:22pm On Feb 04, 2011
Mine was at the Somalian Embassy, it was hectic,

3 Likes

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by Princek12(m): 4:29pm On Feb 04, 2011
LoveKing:

Mine was at the Somalian Embassy, it was[b] hectic[/b],

If the officials at-out of all embassies- the Somalian embassy made your interview a hectic experience, maybe you need prayers. And I will remember you in my prayers.

2 Likes

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by tlops(m): 4:39pm On Feb 04, 2011
nsidear:

that was a day in my life history. had my pastors praying for me, text messages from my parent encouraging me to be steadfast, i was equally on fasting, lol. it wasn't funny, o. Got there and was asked to draws a circuit and explain its operation, having been a grad of E/E engine. i asked the i rather drew wiring diagram having observed the lady and realised she did not know much about the field(E/E). Over explain it to her and she just said u are the best. men, i was over joyed. lasted for 10min. so that was it.

sounds like u were applying based on studies,

first time I applied I was rejected, but the questions were similar to the one above and It was granted on appeal. Actually I was applying for residence permit. I felt a little stressed since i did not know what to expect,

the only visa I applied for was UK visa though I later got a residence/work permit. Canadian permit, I just posted my passport after being granted right of abode. work an d residence in Dubai, well my employer fixed that.
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by NnamdiN: 4:51pm On Feb 04, 2011
Mine was dec last yr, I went to aktc embassy in aba, Met one fierce dude, asked him with my aba boy accent "chairman where Uyo plane dey load"?
He replied "if u no fit see am, go back house"
Den I went straight to d ticket area, bought one for #600 and as I'm typing dis stuff, I'm in d united states of Akwa ibom( no hassles )

4 Likes

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by Ninapha(f): 4:58pm On Feb 04, 2011
Its becoming interest. the nerves are getting steady. grin afterall na person to person. no tiger.
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by comechop(m): 5:57pm On Feb 04, 2011
5 applicant right before me got straight up rejection with plenty begging/shouting etc, I was speaking in tongues the entire time while waiting lol my turn came - got aksed 2, 3 questions. . . . . oya o come back tomorrow, i no fit shout
Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by ayodeji200: 6:10pm On Feb 04, 2011
I was called for interview with America embassy,when i got there,i was instructed to go to a particular room where i met a lady( The interviewer). We exchanged pleasantries  smiley smiley smileyand the first question she asked me was "re u a student here in dis country-Nigeria ? i was really shocked and suprised  cheesy cheesy cos she had all my documents infront of her,she was even holding the aknowlegment letter written from my Uni and i said to her "AS U CAN SEE"(all d documents). She got upset  tongue tongue tongue tongue and started talking blah blah blah. The interview was conducted at d end of d day and i left for good.Eventually i got my visa.

LoL,when i got to JFK airport,the immigration officer at d entrance asked for my passport which i humbly and gladly released to him but to my suprise again,the lady asked me if i was in America for a visit or work and quickly told her d same thing i told d other lady at their embassy "AS YOU CAN SEE" (my passport with 6 months visa.SHE WAS STARING AT THE VISA PAGE). O boy,she equally got upset angry angry angry saying i was rude for saying that but at d end of d day,she asked me to go after looking at me for a while and since then,i ve stopped using AS YOU CAN SEE  grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your First Visa And Interview At An Embassy by favouredjb(f): 7:06pm On Feb 04, 2011
pharuk:

It was in 2008, BHC in abuja, there was really nothing to be nervous about since i had no ojoro papers, the security guy was trying to be authoritative but that dint get him far, got in to c d guy, he was staring at me and wasnt sure to grant or not then i said [s]My friend will you give me that visa before i kidnap your mama!!![/s]  i[/b]s there anything u like to know more, came back days after and i got the visa ([b]not as enthusiastic as i expected)

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / Ileri Babalobi GWR: I Am Visiting 54 African Countries Without Using A Plane / Update On Third Mainland Bridge Repairs (Week 9)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.