Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister (24687 Views)

Okonjo-Iweala: I Was Surprised Trump Blocked My WTO Job / Protesters Block Zainab Ahmed From Office As Finance Minister (Photo) / Buhari Appoints Zainab Ahmed As Finance Minister, Accepts Adeosun's Resignation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by valentineuwakwe(m): 2:18pm On Jul 13, 2020
Corruption: I saved billions of dollars as finance minister, says Okonjo-Iweala

Nigeria’s former Finance Minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has advised governments across the world to be more transparent and accountable amid the coronavirus pandemic.

She observed that many countries are battling corruption in the procurement of medical supplies including personal protective equipment, stressing that governments should “publish all tenders and all contracts” and “companies receiving funds should not be anonymous”.

The ex-World Bank director stated this in a piece titled, ‘To Beat Covid-19, Governments Need to Open Up’ published on Bloomberg.

Okonjo-Iweala, who presently serves on the board of Bloomberg Task Force on Fiscal Policy for Health, recalled her two tenures as Nigeria’s finance minister from 2003 to 2006 as well as between 2011 and 2015.

She said while serving with the President Olusegun Obasanjo and President Goodluck Jonathan’s administrations, she worked hard to open up information and tackle corruption, saving billions of dollars that were channeled to other priorities.

The Nigerian candidate for the position of director-general at the World Trade Organisation, wrote, “Getting medical equipment, and eventually vaccines, to those that need them most poses a major governance challenge. Already, many countries are battling price gouging, collapsing supply chains and even corruption in the procurement of supplies, including personal protective equipment. Out of desperation, governments have contracted with suppliers who have no track record of delivering the equipment they need. Too often those suppliers have failed.

“The only way to make emergency procurement fast and efficient is to do it in the open by publishing all tenders and all contracts.

“This openness should extend to the emergency budgets that have been established to fund healthcare systems and economic stimulus packages. Even in normal times, finance ministries need to publish their budgets in a way that encourages accountability and citizen engagement. Right now, it is even more important to reassure taxpayers that funds are being spent on the right priorities.

“Opening up procurement and budgets can only have the desired effect if citizens and civil society are empowered to follow the money.

“During my tenure as Nigerian finance minister, we worked hard in a difficult governance environment to open up information and tackle corruption. Though it was not easy, we saved billions of dollars that were channeled to other priorities.

“At a time when many governments are rapidly mobilizing financial resources from their own budgets, international markets and donors, it is vital that funds are not wasted. Working in an open way will build trust with citizens and lenders, and it will ensure money reaches the neediest.

“When this pandemic is brought to an end, one legacy should be an expectation for more open government that makes better decisions, uses resources more wisely and puts citizens first.”

https://punchng.com/corruption-i-saved-billions-of-dollars-as-finance-minister-says-okonjo-iweala/

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by SmartProf(m): 2:20pm On Jul 13, 2020
'Eweleke'! Let me sound like Emu in 'the Johnsons'...It's like there was a snake that swallowed those billions of dollars that we didn't hear about o. Even buhari is not aware Ma shocked. Pure lies...you can tell us that u made billions of dollars but u ended up not saving it, except u saved it with the former NSA Dasuki.

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by Topsy250: 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2020
Lies

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by tesppidd: 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2020
But you told us in 2014 that we were in dire straits and we should prepare to start borrowing to pay salaries.

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by LongLife4all: 2:24pm On Jul 13, 2020
shocked

2 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by ukukaegbu(m): 2:35pm On Jul 13, 2020
I know that some people who have not achieved anything in life will come to insult her

17 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by Maxymilliano(m): 2:41pm On Jul 13, 2020
She said while serving with the President Olusegun Obasanjo and President Goodluck Jonathan’ s administrations, she worked hard to open up information and tackle corruption , saving billions of dollars that were channeled to other priorities .

Priorities like

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by Slawormir: 2:41pm On Jul 13, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 13, 2020
angry

Iweala very overrated somebody who could not even transform the Nigerian economy upon all her Harvard and Mit degrees.

Tho she's still far better than the likes of that result forger kemi Adeosun and the current empty skull of a finance minister we have presently.

35 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by hisexcellency34: 2:42pm On Jul 13, 2020
Nigeria's economy was the best in the whole of Africa under GEJ

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by Goldenkrezi: 2:42pm On Jul 13, 2020
She did well but some squirrels don squander the money oo.. embarassed embarassed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by tillaman(m): 2:42pm On Jul 13, 2020
Well done ma, you did well

2 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 13, 2020
grin.. If I give you 2 back hand slap eeynnn ! grin grin grin

30 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by One0Random0Girl(f): 2:43pm On Jul 13, 2020
This is a really good and strong woman. I wish to be like her soon.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by Sambjnewspaper(m): 2:43pm On Jul 13, 2020
Is okay.

Check my signature thanks.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by PowerOfLove: 2:43pm On Jul 13, 2020
tongue
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by richard870(m): 2:43pm On Jul 13, 2020
I sometimes wonder if these guys think before speaking. Too much of bunkums coming out of their buccal cavities

18 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by tesppidd: 2:43pm On Jul 13, 2020
I think i know what the other purposes were!

For instance;

Diezanni used 40 million dollars to buy jewelry and her sons were seen in their private jet flaunting loads of cash.

Lest we forget.

23 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by fredoooooo: 2:43pm On Jul 13, 2020
Yes aunty Ngo! you saved the yams in GEJ's pocket

10 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by Amalekki: 2:43pm On Jul 13, 2020
grin

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by bigpicture001: 2:44pm On Jul 13, 2020
Maxymilliano:

Priorities like

Money paid for ur skl fees are all waste

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by Kizzygentle: 2:44pm On Jul 13, 2020
Save or loot?

4 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by athaboi(f): 2:45pm On Jul 13, 2020
Nothing was saved...inshort the excess crude account was shared

4 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by Goodzinny: 2:46pm On Jul 13, 2020
My role model. My woman!

3 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by ZooOga: 2:47pm On Jul 13, 2020
Don't forget, the evil cabal kidnapped her mother to make her fall in line. sad

4 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: I Saved Billions Of Dollars As Finance Minister by NextPresido: 2:47pm On Jul 13, 2020
Yet bubu the liar in thief said he did not meet any money. He should explain himself

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LP Gubernatorial Candidate Commissions Party Office In Akwa Ibom (Pictures) / The President Shouldn’t Appoint INEC Chairman – Jega / Jonathan Unveils Vision For Next Four Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.