Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,353 members, 7,808,235 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (63883 Views)

Poll: Will you give your children tribal marks?

Yes: 10% (15 votes)
No: 89% (128 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Mustay(m): 2:58am On Jun 26, 2007
As a curious dude, d author should 've asked them 4 d significance
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:00am On Jun 26, 2007
Mustay:

Ndipe what d hell is d difference?

Let them keep fooling themselves.

I hear it's still done in a few parts, osisi sad
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 3:06am On Jun 26, 2007
Mustay:

Terracotta.you see the reason I said some people somehow endorse this scarification thing.
If not,why on earth should a person ask a question such as this?

For the last time,those marks are very unsightly,looks like the individual was attacked by a wild animal or cut with a box cutter and they are given to kids!
How hard is this to understand!
Babies are not given facial tattoos,my friend.

where does Seun find these people sef
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 3:17am On Jun 26, 2007
Mustay:

Maybe you don't know what tattooing is. Tattoos are mostly done with some kind of special ink not in all cases though, and the are done voluntarily by the individual. Tribal marks are; from what I've been reading on this thread are marks given to kid at an early age by their parents.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 3:21am On Jun 26, 2007
you forgot to add that tattoos can be covered up with clothing and can also be reversed when the adult individual who got them chooses to.
Try finding skin to patch up 5 horizontal and vertical scars on a face.
The person may end up looking like ojionu masquerade at an mmanwu festival
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 3:25am On Jun 26, 2007
seriously babyosisi and co i'm dieing to see a pic of these marks. i've being on  google all day looking for pics of these mark cry
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 3:30am On Jun 26, 2007
didn't you seen them in Nigeria?
well see some great ones.

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:50am On Jun 26, 2007
significance was asked and answers were given so why are people still whining?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 4:00am On Jun 26, 2007
Those are very good pictures thanks a lot Babyosisi, I now know the marks very body is getting all mad about now wow!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Mustay(m): 4:01am On Jun 26, 2007
You guys are busy thinking with one head. You 4get a coin has 2 sides.
The marks play a myriad of roles to d tribe and it's not just meaningless. Too much of tech-kino-logy seems to make it irrelevant these days.
Mostly, d tattoo is just a crazy desire by d owner to 've d shit on his or her body with little or no significance. Put in consideration that slave trade was rampant during the yesteryears, war was rampant, different factors played 4 families to seperate and tribes too. Most afro-americans find their roots due to d marks. If you don't like it on some people's face, that's your cup of coffee. Some tribes prefer small marks while some prefer while others like ibadan prefer d 'big 3'.
So don't let your ignorance becloud your sense of reasoning on 2 sides thereby asking d admin where they got this guy from.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 4:04am On Jun 26, 2007
Mustay:

You guys are busy thinking with one head. You forget a coin has 2 sides.
The marks play a myriad of roles to d tribe and it's not just meaningless. Too much of tech-kino-logy seems to make it irrelevant these days.
Mostly, d tattoo is just a crazy desire by d owner to 've d shit on his or her body with little or no significance. Put in consideration that slave trade was rampant during the yesteryears, war was rampant, different factors played 4 families to seperate and tribes too. Most afro-americans find their roots due to d marks. If you don't like it on some people's face, that's your cup of coffee. Some tribes prefer small marks while some prefer while others like ibadan prefer d 'big 3'.
So don't let your ignorance becloud your sense of reasoning on 2 sides thereby asking d admin where they got this guy from.

where did you get this one from.
You are adding another dimension to this.
Now it is helping AA find their lost people.
Is that supposed to be an advantage?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 4:08am On Jun 26, 2007
@TerraCotta

You're terribly ignorant and like I adviced you before, quit reading books about your culture, go down and experience it for yourself. I know an old customs clearing agent that lives in PH, he's an Ichie, mind you this man is OLD, he has none of those marks.

I already told you the marks you see on Igbos, they're often given when an individual is sick by native doctors. Other than that, I've seen nothing (and believe me, for my age, I've seen ALOT and definitely more than the person who wrote that article you posted! Maybe the "ichie" marks are isolated to some REMOTE Igbo community, doesn't make it something Igbos as a whole practiced.

I hope you're not so careless about betting in real life.

Mr. man, do not run away from the bet I placed. I said the person who wrote that article you posted is definitely NOT Igbo, please provide prove to the contrary or tell the people the TRUTH!

ThiefOfHearts:

significance was asked and answers were given so why are people still whining?

You're the only one whining here, I said things about Igbo marks and their significance. You and others started catching feelings sayign I was trying to compete with you, what a brain!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Mustay(m): 4:11am On Jun 26, 2007
@ baby and co not every tradition of various cultures 'll suit you. Some are absurd to ya, others are norms.
No matter what you call people's tradition, it's still practiced.
Don't think civilization has d solution to all things cos really some of these practices give solutions to problems.
If you don't know, d ibos still practice d esu or esusu. D chinese have alot of 'shams' which are still useful to them.
If one can tattoo his or her body cos it's 'beautiful', there's nothin wrong in this. Some people look ugly with d tattoo, some people look beautiful with d tribal marks and vice versa.
Infact, we've some ministers with it and it's actually not only d Yoruba's dt 've them in west africa
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 4:13am On Jun 26, 2007
I read that ichie thing here for the first time too and yet to run into an Ichie with Ichie tribal marks,lol.
Assuming there are Ichie tribal marks,Ichies are old folks,they must have consented.
Can someone show me an Ichie tribal mark,this is sooooo funny.

Donzman,I know the small markings on the temples of some Igbos are given to "cure them of some ill health".
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 4:14am On Jun 26, 2007
Mustay:

@ baby and co not every tradition of various cultures 'll suit you. Some are absurd to ya, others are norms.
Don't think civilization has d solution to all things because really some of these practices give solutions to problems.
If you don't know, d ibos still practice d esu or esusu. D chinese have alot of 'shams' which are still useful to them.
If one can tattoo his or her body because it's 'beautiful', there's nothin wrong in this. Some people look ugly with d tattoo, some people look beautiful with d tribal marks and vice versa.
Infact, we've some ministers with it and it's actually not only d Yoruba's dt 've them in west africa

Can someone pls translate this post for me cause it's not making any sense cry
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Tonim(f): 4:18am On Jun 26, 2007
Stay in school, the post is written in english and makes sense.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 4:18am On Jun 26, 2007
Mustay:

Don't think civilization has d solution to all things because really some of these practices give solutions to problems.

If one can tattoo his or her body because it's 'beautiful', there's nothin wrong in this. Some people look ugly with d tattoo, some people look beautiful with d tribal marks and vice versa.

Ok but please do not give your kids those "beautiful" marks dear.
They should not be sentenced to a lifetime of ridicule.

I'm sure you meant to say osu not esu.
Is that your noble response?
Have you heard me defend that practice?
do I condone it?
The most discussion I've had on osu has been here on nairaland.
I'm yet to meet one,you may introduce me.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Mustay(m): 4:20am On Jun 26, 2007
. . .Because you decide when it wants to make sense to you as it suits you.
He better come home and let it make better sense since you prefer practical to theory
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by debosky(m): 4:25am On Jun 26, 2007
my kids must have tribal marks, it is the most beautiful thing in the world, let us not throw away culture in the name of oyibonization

four on each cheek, big thick ones for that matter, after dem don mark my face finish una wan come stop am now? lailai!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 4:27am On Jun 26, 2007
debosky:

my kids must have tribal marks, it is the most beautiful thing in the world, let us not throw away culture in the name of oyibonization

four on each cheek, big thick ones for that matter, after them don mark my face finish una wan come stop am now? lailai!

LMAO!!! grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 4:29am On Jun 26, 2007
I don't think you'd do such a horribly thing to your kids debosky. grin grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by debosky(m): 4:40am On Jun 26, 2007
watch me, what is good for the father is good for the shidren too, innit?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ghettochyk(f): 4:55am On Jun 26, 2007
debosky:

not really, cuz da mom's genes may be totally different grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TerraCotta(m): 4:39pm On Jun 26, 2007
Donzman:

@TerraCotta

You're terribly ignorant and like I adviced you before, quit reading books about your culture, go down and experience it for yourself. I know an old customs clearing agent that lives in PH, he's an Ichie, mind you this man is OLD, he has none of those marks.

I already told you the marks you see on Igbos, they're often given when an individual is sick by native doctors. Other than that, I've seen nothing (and believe me, for my age, I've seen ALOT and definitely more than the person who wrote that article you posted! Maybe the "ichie" marks are isolated to some REMOTE Igbo community, doesn't make it something Igbos as a whole practiced.

A more honest and mature person would have already conceded that they're wrong. I've been down this road with you before so I'm not surprised that you refuse to accept your ignorance even when confronted with evidence. I've provided you with a link describing an old Ozo titled man with ichi markings on his forehead. This was formerly a common practice that is dying, so it's unsurprising that you have not seen someone with them before. Before, you swore up and down that ichie marks did not exist. Now you're telling me that you've seen "a lot" and that perhaps ichie marks are "isolated in some REMOTE Igbo community". You don't seem to have enough respect for yourself to humbly admit your mistake, so this discussion is over. We can't turn the whole thread into a "Help Donzman Learn About Igbo Culture" lecture smiley

Mr. man, do not run away from the bet I placed. I said the person who wrote that article you posted is definitely NOT Igbo, please provide prove to the contrary or tell the people the TRUTH!

Would the writer being Igbo make the article more or less true? You are obsessed with ethnic issues, and yet you're plainly ignorant about basic Igbo culture. It's a funny combination. At any rate, you have lost your bet. The article I posted was from a memorial website put together by the Okongwu family for their deceased elder. The Okongwus are from Ezeagu Local Government in Enugu State. I'm hoping that you can figure out their ethnic affiliation without doing genetic testing or whatever.

Now--can I expect my winnings by paypal or cheque? cheesy

Back to thread topic--I once met an American from South Carolina who had the Oyo ethnic marks etched in her cheeks as an adult. She was really happy about it, but all I kept thinking was that she's trying a little too hard--most Oyos in Oyo state don't have marks! Cubans and Brazilians who are interested in Yoruba culture also sometimes paint them on as temporary tattoos, which I thought is an interesting modern twist on the whole idea.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 5:07pm On Jun 26, 2007
Donzman:

@TerraCotta

TerraCotta:

A more honest and mature person would have already conceded that they're wrong. I've been down this road with you before so I'm not surprised that you refuse to accept your ignorance even when confronted with evidence. I've provided you with a link describing an old Ozo titled man with ichi markings on his forehead. This was formerly a common practice that is dying, so it's unsurprising that you have not seen someone with them before. Before, you swore up and down that ichie marks did not exist. Now you're telling me that you've seen "a lot" and that perhaps ichie marks are "isolated in some REMOTE Igbo community". You don't seem to have enough respect for yourself to humbly admit your mistake, so this discussion is over. We can't turn the whole thread into a "Help Donzman Learn About Igbo Culture" lecture smiley

Would the writer being Igbo make the article more or less true? You are obsessed with ethnic issues, and yet you're plainly ignorant about basic Igbo culture. It's a funny combination.

This debate is getting interesting. tongue

Donzman always tries to use his own perspective & his own experience, as the sole determinant of every other person's reality. If you go through his posts, you will find the same pattern runs through most of them. (i.e. just because he hasn't seen something, means that 'thing,' is invalid). It doesn't matter if others have seen that thing, or experienced it. The chap writes & speaks as if his views are the only standard, which everyone must follow. undecided

@ Terracota,
The fact that a work of non-fiction was written about the tribal marks of old Ichies obviously means it must have existed at some point in time, even if it is dying out now. My maternal grandfather's elderly neighbour came from the Niger-Delta, and she had some tribal marks on her fore-arms. They were dark, concentric rings etched in an symmetric pattern. Till she died, I never knew what they were called, or what they stood for. Now I wish I had asked. sad So I understand your point. It has been made eloquently.

Some of us have learnt something new from the info. you supplied. Thanks so much, for your input. wink But don't wait for Donzman to apologise. It isn't likely to happen. When his errors are pointed out in such a glaring manner, he just goes all quiet, and drops further questions on the subject, without a whimper. That is more in tune with his style.

@ThiefofHearts,

WORD!! Girl. . . . .you are something else!! cool
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 5:36pm On Jun 26, 2007
Donzman:

Binis have tribal marks too but they're not really as thick as the one you'll find on the Yoruba men with funny looking hats (you know that hats those look like paper boats) on sleeveless agbada and baggy pants! lol lol

Another crass exhibition of ignorance, by the great Donzman. Keep it coming. More people have started telling you, what you are.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Mustay(m): 6:47pm On Jun 26, 2007
@ debosky ori e pe jo
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TerraCotta(m): 8:33pm On Jun 26, 2007
laudate:

@ Terracota,
The fact that a work of non-fiction was written about the tribal marks of old Ichies obviously means it must have existed at some point in time, even if it is dying out now. My maternal grandfather's elderly neighbour came from the Niger-Delta, and she had some tribal marks on her fore-arms. They were dark, concentric rings etched in an symmetric pattern. Till she died, I never knew what they were called, or what they stood for. Now I wish I had asked. sad So I understand your point. It has been made eloquently.

Some of us have learnt something new from the info. you supplied. Thanks so much, for your input. wink But don't wait for Donzman to apologise. It isn't likely to happen. When his errors are pointed out in such a glaring manner, he just goes all quiet, and drops further questions on the subject, without a whimper. That is more in tune with his style.

Laudate--glad to hear that you found the information interesting. I saw your earlier post in this topic, which had already covered most of what I was going to say anyway. I've always enjoyed your posts and I know you've had to correct our wayward friend in several other threads too. There's no apology necessary in my eyes--it would have been honorable to admit his mistake, but even that might be too much to expect.

@ThiefofHearts,

WORD!! Girl. . . . .you are something else!! cool

She is tongue .
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 1:01am On Jun 27, 2007
laudate:

Another crass exhibition of ignorance, by the great Donzman. Keep it coming. More people have started telling you, what you are.

It was a joke you fool, I used to beg my dad every christmas to sew up that sleeveless agbada with baggy pants for me, it all seems funny now!

@TerraCotta

Here is 1 more thing you can learn about the Igbo community, we're so decentralized that you cannot say Igbos do this or that just because some remote town somewhere do it. By the way, take me to the link where you got that article from so that Donzman can confirm it is written by an Igbo man!

I reiterate, the ONLY marks I know and have seen on Igbos is the little marks people get on parts of their bodies when they're sick. Especially kids when they have fever and start experiencing convulsions, they give them the little marks which turn to black on light skinned ones and disappear entirely on darker skinned ones.

Whatever you read online, Donzman does not believe because if it exists in my backyard, I do not need a stranger to tell me!

Do not expect any apology anytime soon because Donzman knows what he knows, I have never seen these marks before in my life, I spent a huge part of my life in Igboland, if these marks exist, I should have seen them atleast in passing. I've seen the marks I'm telling you people about, what I know I tell, I do not tell just because I read online. I might as well upload some of 925's articles/theories and post them as facts.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Esss(m): 1:08am On Jun 27, 2007
debosky:

four on each cheek, big thick ones for that matter, after them don mark my face finish una wan come stop am now? lailai!
debosky:

I don laugh too much this night abeg no kill me o,
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by hinduism(f): 1:25am On Jun 27, 2007
Yoruba people are very cultured people, they love and preserve their culture
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by busygirl(f): 1:27am On Jun 27, 2007
I think it's cruel to give innocent children marks.  it's not as if it makes them look nicer. Infact It makes one ugly. . All in the name of culture grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Estako Names And Meanings / A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.