Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:01 PM

You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? (5900 Views)

Prophet Mboro: Jesus Wife Is Hot And Sexy / 10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by yemstrad(f): 12:53pm On Jan 31, 2006
It is a normal occurrence that men and women prefer to marry from within their religion circle. Will a marriage work if it happen by natural occurrence that the partners are from different religion groups i.e. Christianity and Islam.

Waiting to have your wise counsels here.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by cillalove(f): 1:25pm On Jan 31, 2006
u know what yemstrad, i wanna know wht people think has well, cos am asking maself the same question. but when i think of it i dont think it's going to work.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by hotspice(f): 3:54pm On Jan 31, 2006
will the marriage work? NO unless one partner compromises his/her faith. sad
The man is the head of the home in any religion or tribe in Nigeria. based on this the woman has to join the man in his belief. e.g mariam babangida(she was a christian). lets not deceive ourselves love will not be enough cos the other partner(mostly the man) will insist on his children been raised in his faith.

i ve a friend who fell for a man from the north. she is a christian and the man a moslem. he agreed that their children will be brought up neutral and will choose whom to serve God thru. well after 4years of marriage, he enrolled his toddlers into moslem schools and rite now my friend is a practising moslim(if you can't beat them join them).

1 Like

Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by Outkast(f): 12:50am On Feb 01, 2006
When you're getting married, you're advised not to go into the relationship thinking that you can change your partner

My cousin is a christian, her mother is a Pastor, she married a muslim guy telling us that she'd change him and he'd convert, after 2 years of marriage, the man told her to either convert or pack out, she did. The man has 3 wives now and is a serious muslim. It won't
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by debanjee(m): 1:04am On Feb 01, 2006
k
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by Maryam: 10:32am On Feb 01, 2006
SURE i believe the marriage will work BIG TIME cos i have enough instances, 4 example my DAD is a muslim and my MUM a christain, there marriage is as successful as anyother marriage i have ever seen.Till date, there love is as fresh as the youthful love they shared.Most of my neighbours too are either christains or muslims and there marriages are all sucessful. Religious background doesnt hav anything to do with marriage. I believe if there is true love everyother thing is minor.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by dejiolowe: 11:28am On Feb 01, 2006
my friend, rubber punk, is a xtian and his wife is a muslim. and it is working... it is the commitment that matters
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by yemstrad(f): 12:07pm On Feb 01, 2006
debanjee:

I can marry anyone as long as you two believe in God - Sikh, Hindu whatever.

Religion! How do we get so divided when we all claim we worship the same God. I was raised a muslim and became a Christian some 11 years ago. I.M.O God is greater than any one religion. What is essential is how you live your life.

I agree with you. One God, one Love and one Destiny. We should stop the discrimination. As long as there is love, difference in religion believe will not be an obstacle to any marriage.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by yemstrad(f): 12:09pm On Feb 01, 2006
Sorry!! I meant belief
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by Rolly: 3:26pm On Feb 01, 2006
The marriage will work:

1. if and when one of them compromises for the other
2.if they accept each other and not try to change each other's religion

i'm a witness of both cases

1. My mother married my muslim father, they had a chirstian wedding. he was still a muslim, marriage was working fine. some years later, he changed to a chirstian, marriage continued to work fine.

2. My family doctor, he is a muslim, his wife is a chirstian, they have six kids and their marraige is sweeter everyday(i know this cos we both families r really close to each other), during chirstmas, he celebrates with the wife and kids, during salah, they celebreate with him. the kids know how to pray the muslim way and chirstian way and they r a happy family.

i strongly belive that a marriage between 2 different religion/beliefs will work.

Thats the end of my speech. thanks for reading! *big grin*
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by naijaguru(m): 3:45pm On Feb 01, 2006
If both parties are not hypocrites, then everything should work fine. 'Cause there is absolutely nothing in religions that can seperate liberal and matured minds!
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by REDRABBIT: 4:56pm On Feb 01, 2006
Will the Marriage work? This is an affirmative NO to me. Marriage entails union of both man and woman. Say for instance, a devoted Christain marrying that of his Moslem counterpart, then sooner or later I sense danger if one of them fails to compromise his/her faith. They say [i]two captain can't be on a ship[/i]I can't see such working out well in this part of the world unless they are not a devotee to their religion.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by cushman(m): 7:05pm On Feb 01, 2006
The marriage will work no doubt. Religion cannot be an obstacle.

Most girls don't like the idea of marrying a muslim guy srictly because of the fear they have that the guy might decide to marry more wives. They cannot escape that because it is now becoming a tradition and men are fading away.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by Icon(m): 9:02pm On Feb 01, 2006
The marriage might work. It all depends on the understanding between the two of them. There are things they need to discuss before hand. Issues like How many wives the husband will marry, what religion their kids will follow, what happens on Sundays and Fridays, do they follow each other? What happens when friends come and they want to pray, will the muslim join in the prayers or v/versa? There are lots of things that need to be discussed but then like I said, it depends on the understanding between the 2 of them.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by IAH(f): 9:09pm On Feb 01, 2006
It can only work if both partners are not really devoted to their religions. But if they are both staunch believers in their faiths...no way! Talk about a Spirikoko christian, spirit-filled, tongue-talking, holyghost-blabbing sister and one Imam of Al-Wajud Bisimilahi Rahmoni Raheem, where is the union?
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by Greatpeter(m): 10:33pm On Feb 01, 2006
It will take only God for the relationship to survive and thrive.

Can the two work together except they be agree Amos 3:3
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:42pm On Feb 01, 2006
I believe that the relationship will work...

It will have a big obstacle (difference in religious beliefs), but true love should be able to trenscend all barriers

Thats just my opinion, as per Muslim men marrying more then one wife... so called Christians in Nigeria do the same thing...

Maybe not thru their church, but the ideology is the same is it not? just my two kobo peace
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by nuru(m): 8:03am On Feb 02, 2006
Fisrt, muslim women are not encouraged to marry non muslims. If however one is already in it, you should allow love to prevail. It can work and it does work.
My parents are of different faith and they've been together for 56 years. Growing up, each of them allowed the children to learn the other person's religion, and the children decided on their own what to follow. Each of the parents do say it that if there is anything else to be changed in the marriage, it is the religion of the other person, but they allow love to prevail and respect the wish of other members of the family and I tell you its one big happy family.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by Sesan2: 1:04pm On Feb 02, 2006
The marriage will work if none of them is devoted to their religion.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by Motee(f): 1:16pm On Feb 02, 2006
Somehow if you trust each other and you have sat down to compromise the kind of religion your children will follow,(first issue that will come up later in your marriage) it might work because nowadays, people just cover their face with religion and have no fear of God in them. For instance, nowadays in the Christian circle, we have so many people who claim to be Born Again since they go to church, speak in tongues and they are workers but have no attitude of God in them.

To be sincere with you, and recently anyway, I can marry a Muslim if there is a way we can deal with our religion without affecting our relationship and communication with God.

Sesan2:

Have seen matured couple who are both muslim and christian and they are devoted.  They said they both agreed following their religion and the children are free to decide whatever religion they like and it was like that.  Infact, the story was told during their son's wedding.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by REDRABBIT: 1:21pm On Feb 02, 2006
Sesan2:

Exactly what I had been saying smiley
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by justme: 1:40pm On Feb 02, 2006
yemstrad:

I agree with you. One God, one Love and one Destiny. We should stop the discrimination. As long as there is love, difference in religion believe will not be an obstacle to any marriage.
yes you're right, but what you should understand is that religion is a very strong thing, your friend can be of a different faith and your relationship would grow, but where marriage is concerned, theirs a big stop sign, its either one party gives in to the other or they go their seperate ways, there's just no way it will work, its even easier for a pagan and christian/muslim to co-habit than muslim/christian as husband and wife. sorry it will never work try it and see!
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by nuru(m): 1:57pm On Feb 02, 2006
I want to maintain that it works even with very religious people. Most of the genuine religious people love goodness and hate evil-doing and can accommodate other faiths even when they hold tenaciously to theirs. But  impostors, charlatans and hypocrites are opposite.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by Motee(f): 2:14pm On Feb 02, 2006
nuru:

I want to maintain that it works even with very religious people. Most of the genuine religious people love goodness and hate evil-doing and can accommodate other faiths even when they hold tenaciously to theirs. But impostors, charlatans and hypocrites are opposite.

Another goodway to look at it.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by yemstrad(f): 2:34pm On Feb 02, 2006
But how many of such people do we have in our society?
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by Motee(f): 4:19pm On Feb 02, 2006
Very few people
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by nuru(m): 7:23pm On Feb 02, 2006
I agree, very few. One should not brazenly go headlong into mix union if one has options, but where you already are in it, the best is to determine to be happy with your catch and pray, then work for it.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by camara(f): 8:32pm On Feb 02, 2006
i don't think it will work.typin 4rm xperience my friend's uncle's a muslim and he married a christian the wife is not an alcoholic but she does indulge herself durin the festive seasons and drinkak a little and as muslims don't tolerate alcohol drinkin tey got divorced.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by camara(f): 8:33pm On Feb 02, 2006
oops! meant "and drinks"
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by charlisco(m): 3:31pm On Feb 03, 2006
The plain truth is that, if such marriage banned to succeed, the partner involved will have a lot of "bad" tales to tell.
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by truthhurts(f): 10:55am On Feb 06, 2006
understanding and communication matters alot in marriage, my friend kazeem's father is a stauch muslim infact he's a alhaji and his mum is an iya ijo in a church they have a beautiful marriage worth envying cos they understand and work together to make things work for them
so to answer your question YES the marriage would work if the couple work hand in hand
Re: You're A Christian, Your Wife Is A Muslim. Will The Marriage Work? by yemstrad(f): 1:14pm On Feb 07, 2006
Yes baby, you right to some extent. But ask Kzeem's dad and mum, they must surely have some gory tales to tell concerning the marriage. The fowl do sweat but the feather prevents the sweat from the outside world cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

There Is No Salvation By Faith Without Works--femi Aribisala / Christian Author Says Female Masturbation Is ‘Direct Path To Satan’ / Dialect Of The Early Beings (SERIOT LANGUAGE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.