Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,865 members, 7,806,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. (73444 Views)

Rare Picture Of Head Of State Maj.gen Aguiyi Ironsi In Kano / The Truth Behind General Aguiyi- Ironsi’s Crocodile Swagger Stick / Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 11:22pm On Feb 06, 2011
Obiagu1:

I'll like to add that Ironsi's action was one of the, if not the greatest, harm committed against Nigerians. If he was alive today, I'd campaign for him to be jailed for life! This is how much I despise his action.

Just with one stroke of the pen, he completely nullified the foundation of Nigeria which we have been nurtured in without any consultation. Every region in their base with their government and with their policies to guide them. How he came up with the idea of that unitary government is beyond reason.

What was Ironsi suppose to do?

The man was a CAREER SOLDIER.

He was given a position, that he was not prepared for.

Do not blame the man. We do not know what we would have done, if place in his position.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Obiagu1(m): 11:23pm On Feb 06, 2011
SapeleGuy:

A little education is a dangerous thing. We have seen one so called sufferhead journalist 'blowing benson' and talking about popular support, corruption, nepotism and avarice. If only this journalist was alive to see how his military liberators kleptomaniacs took corruption, nepotism and avarice to unparalleled heights. I wonder what punishment he would have deemed appropriate.

What are we arguing about here? These soldiers created the mess we have today.  Those innocents were slaughterred for nothing, Patriots were replaced by 'animals in human skin' whose only competence was their incompetence, a total disgrace to the noble virtues of the military.

The video about Ironsi plays a thousand words. The phrase that sprung to mind was 'rabbit & headlights'. The man looked like he was having a nervous breakdown. Soldiers should remain in the barracks.

You cannot blame the journalist. He has witnessed corruption, nepotism, etc in the government but he cannot tell the direction the military would take us to.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Onlytruth(m): 11:23pm On Feb 06, 2011
I can only blame Ironsi, and that is for his naivety in misreading Nigeria of the time.

How can far junior officers like Murtala Muhammad and Ojukwu know about tribalism more than him, a supreme military commander of the Nigerian army?

How couldn't he see that whatever he dreamt about was irrelevant to the realities on the ground?

Above all, how could he have missed the huge sign presented by the first northern riot of May 1966?

Any thinking person would take PERSONAL security measures immediately after that riot. HE DIDN'T. sad

In fact I would guess that when he failed to use the May '66 riots as an opportunity to bring the north under his control, he unwittingly emboldened the July coup plotters. He told them in no uncertain terms "I am weak and clueless, here I am, come get me!". . .  and they did- brutally leaving in their wakes 43 years of murder, theft and ineptitude.

Frankly, I don't think I can ever forgive Ironsi.  sad

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by jason123: 11:24pm On Feb 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

If they were missed so much, there should have been non-stop riots. But there weren't any riots. Just joyous crowds who supported the coup.

People like Okotie-Eboh were not missed.

The only reason why their were riots in the North is, because those people were used by their leaders to have a violent reaction.
@bolded,
I have to agree with you there.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by SapeleGuy: 11:25pm On Feb 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

If they were missed so much, there should have been non-stop riots. But there weren't any riots. Just joyous crowds who supported the coup.

People like Okotie-Eboh were not missed.

The only reason why their were riots in the North is, because those people were used by their leaders to have a violent reaction.

Ezekolo, Nkita ara dika gi
Okotie - Eboh,  has been the most successful and brilliant finance minister Nigeria has produced to date, after him comes Awolowo.  
Some people were keen to move him not because they had anything better to offer but because they felt a Mid-Westerner should not be that powerful. Simple. Go and do some research instead of displaying your usual impotent and feral rabble rousing.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 11:27pm On Feb 06, 2011
The fact remains, that no riots occurred during this coup. People actually went on living and hoping for the best. My uncle who was living in Ibadan at the time, was telling us about the jubilant crowds as they were hearing about the first coup. That they were happy to see many of those corrupt politicians killed and even happier that Awolowo was freed.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by OAM4J: 11:28pm On Feb 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

Those soldiers were not allowed to have their dream come to fruition, because of tribalistic soldiers from the North who many thought they were there brothers. But they only worked on behalf of their region.

The BIGGEST MISTAKE Ironsi did was allowing Northern soldiers to have positions. He should have castigated them to barracks that were away from his power.

Reread the bold and tell me you still believe that makes sense. How is it possible to cage a part of the army base on their region? And you think that wouldn't have brought the 2nd coup/civil war earlier than Jul 66?

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by alex101(m): 11:28pm On Feb 06, 2011
What a good revelation this video will bring to any naive and "foolish" Igbo lad who will think if he/she can be vehemently cosmoplitan in nature, the mortal

enemies of Ndigbo would rally behind him/her. The nigeria scenerio does not call for unbridled cosmopolitanism, but rather tribalism. I know this fact and I am

not ashame to put Ndigbo's overall interests before anything Nigerian. If Aguyi Ironsi was a Yoruba man, he would not have been killed because Yorubas

understand Nigeria better than most groups (no offence). A "yoruba Ironsi" would have surronded himself with his kinsmen, thereby creating a buffer

around himself. In a dungeon like nigeria, you need tribalism to survive!!!

This is why I have called on Igbo in Jos to act in self defence and not take sides in any crises, any where in the nigerian cesspit,,,,,, all man to himself. The

coup plotters thought they were going to restore order in the "wild wild west" by toppling Balewa, only for their actions to be branded an "Igbo agenda". They

were naive, and for this, I say to my Igbo brothers- nigeria of 1966 is very much alive in the nigeria of 2011! [b][/b]QED

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Onlytruth(m): 11:28pm On Feb 06, 2011
One thing I like about Jonathan is that he has General Andrew Owoye Azazi as his national security adviser, and the army is in friendly hands. If Jos and the whole north like they can burn to the ground. At least Jonathan is safe. That is a man who understands his country.  cool

Ironsi, a soldier didn't understand it.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 11:29pm On Feb 06, 2011
OAM4J:

Reread the bold and tell me you still believe that makes sense. How is it possible to cage a part of the army base on their region? And you think that wouldn't have brought the 2nd coup/civil war earlier than Jul 66?

Let me clarify and say Northern officers. Not Northern soldiers. They were only following the directions of their superiors.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Obiagu1(m): 11:30pm On Feb 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

What was Ironsi suppose to do?

The man was a CAREER SOLDIER.

He was given a position, that he was not prepared for.

Do not blame the man. We do not know what we would have done, if place in his position.

He had many options.
1. Take temporary control of the government and allow the civilians to settle their dispute of who becomes the new PM.
2. Take control of the government and call for fresh elections.
3. Leave Nigeria as you met it, since he was a career soldier. What guided him in turning Nigeria to unitary government? On whose authority?

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 11:32pm On Feb 06, 2011
I will say that Ironsi like many Igbos among us was very naive. He should have surrounded himself with Igbo and our Eastern brothers. They would have protected him with their lives.

The man believe in camaraderie amongst soldiers. That would be downfall. I just feel so sad for him. Even after watching the videos. A man who spent his life as a soldier, protecting people.

Ironsi the sacrificial lamb.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by nduchucks: 11:33pm On Feb 06, 2011
Onlytruth, why not try disputing points made by people who do not share your point of view by making intelligent counterpoints, instead of calling them bigots and tribalists?  This behavior of yours is quite troubling and is typical of your likes on this forum, it is quite shameful. olodo

I shutter at the squandered oppotunities handed to many Nigerians of Igbo extraction to build our young nation. There is not much hope for the SE given the the crop of youths being produced, such as onlytruth and Eze.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 11:34pm On Feb 06, 2011
Obiagu1:

He had many options.
1. Take temporary control of the government and allow the civilians to settle their dispute of who becomes the new PM.
3. Leave Nigeria as you met it, since he was a career soldier. What guided him in turning Nigeria to unitary government? On whose authority?

He was a soldier first and foremost. It quite understandable that he would want a unitary system, because that is how the military is set up. A clear chain of command. That is why, if I was in that same position, I would probably do the same thing, because I would be coming from a soldier's POV.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by asha80(m): 11:34pm On Feb 06, 2011
SapeleGuy:

Okotie - Eboh,  has been the most successful and brilliant finance minister this devils paradise called Nigeria has produced to date, after him comes Awolowo.  
Some people were keen to move him not because they had anything better to offer but because they felt a Mid-Westerner should not be that powerful. Go and do some research instead of displaying your usual impotent and feral rabble rousing.

i hope you know how okotie eboh became a finance minister?
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 11:35pm On Feb 06, 2011
SapeleGuy:

Okotie - Eboh,  has been the most successful and brilliant finance minister this devils paradise called Nigeria has produced to date, after him comes Awolowo.  
Some people were keen to move him not because they had anything better to offer but because they felt a Mid-Westerner should not be that powerful. Go and do some research instead of displaying your usual impotent and feral rabble rousing.

Remember it was off of Nnamdi Azikiwe's coattails, that Okotie-Eboh was given that position.

Do not bite the hand that feeds you!

Many people thought Okotie-Eboh was corrupt. And he was a very corrupt official. Do not get upset, because that was the truth. Everyone noticed this, even the British who commented on Okotie-Eboh's extravagance.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by OAM4J: 11:36pm On Feb 06, 2011
Obiagu1:

He had many options.

Exactly! one of these options would probably have kept him alive longer and saved Nigeria from many troubles we later found ourselves, especially option 1 & 2.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Obiagu1(m): 11:36pm On Feb 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

He was a soldier first and foremost. It quite understandable that he would want a unitary system, because that is how the military is set up. A clear chain of command. That is why, if I was in that same position, I would probably do the same thing, because I would be coming from a soldier's POV.

I don't agree with your logic. So that chain of command doesn't apply in federal system with the governors he appointed as the head of those regions?
Ironsi had no excuse whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by asha80(m): 11:38pm On Feb 06, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Onlytruth, why not try disputing points made by people who do not share your point of view by making intelligent counterpoints, instead of calling them bigots and tribalists?  This behavior of yours is quite troubling and is typical of your likes on this forum, it is quite shameful. olodo

I shutter at the squandered oppotunities handed to many Nigerians of Igbo extraction to build our young nation. There is not much hope for the SE given the the crop of youths being produced, such as onlytruth and Eze.

please elaborate on how nigerians of nothern extraction have helped build our young nation our mister double talker?
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Obiagu1(m): 11:39pm On Feb 06, 2011
Onlytruth:

One thing I like about Jonathan is that he has General Andrew Owoye Azazi as his national security adviser, and the army is in friendly hands. If Jos and the whole north like they can burn to the ground. At least Jonathan is safe. That is a man who understands his country. cool

Ironsi, a soldier didn't understand it.

I think he's learning or has learnt something from the past.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Jenifa1: 11:41pm On Feb 06, 2011
SapeleGuy:

A little education is a dangerous thing. We have seen one so called sufferhead journalist 'blowing benson' and talking about popular support, corruption, nepotism and avarice. If only this journalist was alive to see how his military liberators kleptomaniacs took corruption, nepotism and avarice to unparalleled heights. I wonder what punishment he would have deemed appropriate.

What are we arguing about here? These soldiers created the mess we have today.  Those innocents were slaughterred for nothing, Patriots were replaced by 'animals in human skin' whose only competence was their incompetence, a total disgrace to the noble virtues of the military.

The video about Ironsi plays a thousand words. The phrase that sprung to mind was 'rabbit & headlights'. The man looked like he was having a nervous breakdown. Soldiers should remain in the barracks.

lol the situational irony struck me too.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Onlytruth(m): 11:42pm On Feb 06, 2011
Posted by: ndu_chucks

Your partner in revisionism has been called out and exposed for what he is- an embedded tribal bigot. Now you've come to the rescue.
I'm laughing.  sad

Let me tell you though, that lie won't hold up much longer. The longer you stay out of power the more likely we'd get to the truth. Anu mpama.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 11:43pm On Feb 06, 2011
It is one thing we can all agree on except for the wayward Northerner who is on this thread, watch your back when Northerners are around. They may have one hand open, while the other hand behind them has a knife. Poor Ironsi's situation shows us the perils of dealing with the North.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by jason123: 11:43pm On Feb 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

Remember it was off of Nnamdi Azikiwe's coattails, that Okotie-Eboh was given that position.

Many people thought Okotie-Eboh was corrupt. And he was a very corrupt official. Do not get upset, because that was the truth. Everyone noticed this, even the British who commented on Okotie-Eboh's extravagance.

@ Topic
This topic remained objective until Onlytruth and Alex101 came to bring their respective tribal stupidity.
I agree on one thing which is, the pogroms were used and caused by the Northern highly placed members in the society to have power.
But guys, I have always wondered, How come Azikwe escaped but Akintola and Amado Bello were killed? Did Azikwe receive a tip-off? Was he not in the same "corrupt" regime??

2 Likes

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by SapeleGuy: 11:45pm On Feb 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

You are clueless, fed who? Okotie-Eboh bankrolled the NCNC. Fact.

Just come out and be honest and say you do not like people who are not Igbo. Stop all this slander. Please post evidence of Okotie- Ebohs corruption? Just one or forever hold your pis s.

Read these letters between Okotie- Eboh and Zik. Funnily enough he was referring the thieves in the NCNC, the ones who eventually planned to kill him because he was 'blocking' them.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/in-a-out/14027-conspiracy-against-festus-samuel-okotie-eboh-4
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 11:45pm On Feb 06, 2011
Frankly, I do not know what saved Nnamdi Azikiwe's life. Maybe the coupist did not see him as a threat. I wonder why they didn't deal with that Igbo traitor.

But I don't know what good can come from that discussion, because many Igbos on NL still love Nnamdi Azikiwe. I share the views of my grandfather concerning that man.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by jason123: 11:48pm On Feb 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

Frankly, I do not know what saved Nnamdi Azikiwe's life. Maybe the coupist did not see him as a threat. I wonder why they didn't deal with that Igbo traitor.
Shebi, he should be killed since he was part and parcel of the corrupt Government. What about Dr.Okpara? Was his counter part (Akintola) not killed with his pregnant wife?

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 11:50pm On Feb 06, 2011
SapeleGuy:

You are clueless, fed who? Okotie-Eboh bankrolled the NCNC. Fact.

Just come out and be honest and say you do not like people who are not Igbo. Stop all this slander. Please post evidence of Okotie- Ebohs corruption? Just one or forever hold your pis s.

Read these letters between Okotie- Eboh and Zik. Funnily enough he was referring the thieves in the NCNC, the ones who eventually planned to kill him because he was 'blocking' them.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/in-a-out/14027-conspiracy-against-festus-samuel-okotie-eboh-4

Why are you protecting Okotie-Eboh?

Okotie-Eboh desecrated the Office & coffers of Government entrusted to him at a time when commiting Fraud was unimaginable in our Society, thus laying the foundation for 419ers in Government we have today.

As long as a prominent thief is from a particular tribe his sins are forgiven and forgotten by his kinsmen. Am I correct?

He was often called was a cheerful thief, a British diplomat once commented.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by OAM4J: 11:50pm On Feb 06, 2011
EzeUche_:

It is one thing we can all agree on except for the wayward Northerner who is on this thread, watch your back when Northerners are around. They may have one hand open, while the other hand behind them has a knife. Poor Ironsi's situation shows us the perils of dealing with the North.

Does that apply only to the Northerners? I could swear you'll say the same for my people.

Well the fact is no one trust each other in Nigeria, each region should have been left to develop at her own pace, and it would have been much easier for each region to go her separate way, for that error I blame Ironsi.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Onlytruth(m): 11:51pm On Feb 06, 2011
Posted by: jason123

@ Topic
This topic remained objective until Onlytruth and Alex101 came to bring their respective tribal stupidity.
I agree on one thing which is, the pogroms were used and caused by the Northern highly placed members in the society to have power.
But guys, I have always wondered, How come Azikwe escaped but Akintola and Amado Bello were killed? Did Azikwe receive a tip-off? Was he not in the same "corrupt" regime??

My friend face the topic and stop trying to insult your father. Because of people like you and Katsumoto, there is NO CHANCE that any patriotic act capable of shaking the nations foundations would ever materialize in Nigeria.

The events of 1966 are all the lessons needed by any would-be Nigerian revolutionary. IT AIN'T HAPPENING!
And that is why we are where we are today.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Obiagu1(m): 11:54pm On Feb 06, 2011
jason123:

@ Topic
But guys, I have always wondered,How come Azikwe escaped but Akintola and Amado Bello were killed? Did Azikwe receive a tip-off? Was he not in the same "corrupt" regime??

Don't pretend as if you've not read it here on NL. It's pure insincerity on your part.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by jason123: 11:57pm On Feb 06, 2011
Onlytruth:

Posted by: jason123
My friend face the topic and stop trying to insult your father. Because of people like you and Katsumoto, there is NO CHANCE that any patriotic act capable of shaking the nations foundations would ever materialize in Nigeria.

The events of 1966 are all the lessons needed by any would-be Nigerian revolutionary. IT AIN'T HAPPENING!
And that is why we are where we are today.

I am not complaining about the revolution. The question is that the revolution was a bit baised, you have to agree. How come Azikwe escaped during the revolution? Was he tipped off? Was Azikwe not part and parcel of the corrupt Government? How come Dr. Okpara was not killed during the revolution??

I quite agree on one of the points Ezeuche made, which is that the Northern youths were used by their leaders back then to get into power bt until those questions above are answered then there would still be question marks about the coup.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (43) (Reply)

Davido Reacts To Fashola Finding Hidden Camera At The Lekki Toll Gate / Sowore Compares How Bandits Were Treated Vs How Nnamdi Kanu Was Treated / Atiku Abubakar Campaigns In Daura, Katsina. See How He Was Welcomed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.