Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:19 AM

Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most (17319 Views)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / How Is A Balloon Called In Your Dialect? / Exclamation In Various Ngerian Tribes/dialect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by vicenzo(m): 9:36pm On Jun 21, 2011
odumchi:

My dialect is Arochukwu. I often find myself having to
Think twice to decipher the type of Igbo spoken by the Ngwa or those on the extremes of Igboland as you pointed out. But despite the dialect, I believe every dialect is wonderful and must be preserved.

You are right,every igbo dialect is unique and wonderful,for example,i don't fancy owerre dialect,but i am a big fan of oriental brothers,the owerre dialect is so good in music,even though i don't really understand all they say,and i love ikwerre dialect too,especially the brand used by duncan mighty in the song ''jesus bu eze'' oh! I love the way the asaba man says "wa" rather than fa.
Aro dialect is easy to understand,i have a friend who hails from ugwuavo arochukwu,i understand 100% of what he says,when talking with the parents.
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by odumchi: 11:17pm On Jun 21, 2011
Yes The likes of Sunny Bobo and the Oriental brothers make Owerre Igbo sweet to the ear. In Sunnys songs he often uses "Yoma" instead of "Lotta or Lossa" which adds to the mystery of the Owerre tongue. As for me, Ngwa and Aba Igbo is like a whole other language. If you're speaking with an Aba native who's been influenced by the native style, you have to open your ears.

And yes Aro Igbo is wonderful. What a small world we live in. Aro has it's own mysteries too because every village (19) has it's own special style of saying certain words. For example people from ugwuakuma say "ande" instead of "ayinde" (us). One can spend a lifetime studying the Igbo language.

vicenzo:

You are right,every igbo dialect is unique and wonderful,for example,i don't fancy owerre dialect,but i am a big fan of oriental brothers,the owerre dialect is so good in music,even though i don't really understand all they say,and i love ikwerre dialect too,especially the brand used by duncan mighty in the song ''jesus bu eze'' oh! I love the way the asaba man says "wa" rather than fa.
Aro dialect is easy to understand,i have a friend who hails from ugwuavo arochukwu,i understand 100% of what he says,when talking with the parents.
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by vicenzo(m): 4:08pm On Jun 22, 2011
odumchi:

Yes The likes of Sunny Bobo and the Oriental brothers make Owerre Igbo sweet to the ear. In Sunnys songs he often uses "Yoma" instead of "Lotta or Lossa" which adds to the mystery of the Owerre tongue. As for me, Ngwa and Aba Igbo is like a whole other language. If you're speaking with an Aba native who's been influenced by the native style, you have to open your ears.

And yes Aro Igbo is wonderful. What a small world we live in. Aro has it's own mysteries too because every village (19) has it's own special style of saying certain words. For example people from ugwuakuma say "ande" instead of "ayinde" (us). One can spend a lifetime studying the Igbo language.

Really, 19 villages? That is quite big,i only know of ugwuavo,ibom,obinkita and amankwu,obinkita youths can be violent,last time i went there in december 2009, they were causing trouble and were even shooting,my friend told me that arondizogu people in ideato imo state migrated from amankwu,there are lots of light skined people in arochukwu,and the girls are wow!
odumchi:

Really, 19 villages? That is quite big,i only know of ugwuavo,ibom,obinkita and amankwu,obinkita youths can be violent,last time i went there in december 2009, they were causing trouble and were even shooting,my friend told me that arondizogu people in ideato imo state migrated from amankwu,there are lots of light skined people in arochukwu,and the girls are wow!
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by odumchi: 4:24pm On Jun 22, 2011
Ha ha yes it's very big, I think it's the third largest town in Abia state after Umuahia and Aba. And Obinkita is the largest village and the main business centre. I remember some time back their was an influx in robberies mainly around the banks in Obinkita and the police were called in. As for the shooting it might have been Christmas celebrations because everyone fires into the air lol. Yes the Arondizuogu was founded by a man called Izuogu from Arochukwu long ago. We both maintain our heritage as Aros. But yes there are alot of light-skinned people here and we take good care of our women.  cool

vicenzo:

Really, 19 villages? That is quite big,i only know of ugwuavo,ibom,obinkita and amankwu,obinkita youths can be violent,last time i went there in december 2009, they were causing trouble and were even shooting,my friend told me that arondizogu people in ideato imo state migrated from amankwu,there are lots of light skined people in arochukwu,and the girls are wow! Really, 19 villages? That is quite big,i only know of ugwuavo,ibom,obinkita and amankwu,obinkita youths can be violent,last time i went there in december 2009, they were causing trouble and were even shooting,my friend told me that arondizogu people in ideato imo state migrated from amankwu,there are lots of light skined people in arochukwu,and the girls are wow!

Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by Kc3000: 4:06am On Jun 28, 2011
How can sane minds advocate for the eradication of our colorful dialects. That's just nonsense. Most Igbos have very strong affiliations to their respective clans, it does not diminish ones Igboness. To the best of my knowledge, the idea of a cohessive Igbo identity and even referring to oneself as 'Igbo' may not be as old as we may want to believe, but circumstances have mandated that we close ranks and forge a common identity, which is the natural and right thing to do. Some early European scholars observed that many Igbo clans referred to other Igbo speakers as Igbos, while exempting themselves from this term. I believe the Onitsha Igbos continued this practice longer than most.
     I am not saying this to sow a seed of discord or create disunity among the Igbo, because that is the last thing we need. We are one, but there has always been a significant uniqueness and sub-identity to every Igbo clan, which we have always recognized, respected and even celebrated. I reckon that Igbo in its richest and purest  form is attainable when spoken in the pure dialects, and contrary to what some may say, losing these dialects may accelerate the diminution of the Igbo language altogether. Sure, the so-called central Igbo has its usefulness too;  Igbo literature and mass media should benefits from this as a wider audience is reached. Besides, I am not opposed to diluting my Okwu Ngwa to accomodate a non-Ngwa in conversation,  as most Igbos would do in such circumstances anyway.
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by ejiyke2007(m): 2:56am On Jul 26, 2012
afam4eva: I know that Ohafia people say "Ole otu ime".
ohafia dialet is emenagi,they can also speak ole otu ime
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:17am On Jul 26, 2012
I remember this thread; Umunnem,keduzi ka eke si anya anwu ? Aman na udo di ? Northern Igbo dey sweet sha. Deme nu !
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by odumchi: 5:05am On Jul 26, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: I remember this thread; Umunnem,keduzi ka eke si anya anwu ? Aman na udo di ? Northern Igbo dey sweet sha. Deme nu !

Nwa avo Idemili, ndaa kwan?

Igbo Aro Oke-Igbo kagba uto. cool
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by AndreUweh(m): 10:41am On Jul 26, 2012
O wu Isinweke aani kacha ucho.
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by ChinenyeN(m): 1:18pm On Jul 26, 2012
cool
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by igreal20(m): 5:55pm On Apr 08, 2013
EzeUche_: The Igbo dialects found in Ebonyi State are something I enjoy hearing, because I do not understand many things that they say when they speak in their dialect.

Sometimes, their dialect does not even sound Igbo. I find the Afikpo dialect very strange.
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by igreal20(m): 6:09pm On Apr 08, 2013
Abagworo:

Maybe you meant to compare the Southern Central Igbo(SCI) with the Northern Central Igbo(NCI).Dialects are too numerous to determine which one is spoken.Both Onitsha and Awka say "Ive" .

Ihe,Ive,Ife,Iye,Ihne,he,ha,hwe,ho,hwo are all different dialects.The NCI is "Ife" while the SCI is "Ihe".

I think the commerce and romance language is the NCI while the written Igbo embraces more of SCI.
.but nt all anambra speak ife half place like ihiala ukpo ihembosi nneobi amichi dnt speak ife
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by igreal20(m): 6:23pm On Apr 08, 2013
ChinenyeN: "Ndii otu nnu" is not SCI.

No.
ikwere greet wit ndaa
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by igreal20(m): 7:18pm On Apr 08, 2013
Afam4eva: Who can guess this dialect?

Ke ebe i ne je (where are you going to)
that is ma dialect menh anambra ekwusigo
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by igreal20(m): 7:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
nadneth: My favourite Igbo is Onitsha and environs (Obosi,Oba,Ogidi etc). Check this out
Ke ife na eme i (what is wrong with you)
Gini na aso i (what is amusing you)

Nnewi Igbo is rather too heavy. O ngunu ka omelu (what has he done)
I love Owerri dialect in music though i dont comprehend more than 70% of what they sing!
undecided

u are wrong nnewi dnt say ngunu dey gunu nnewi dialect is too diffrence they dnt say fa they say ha for them and they dnt say uno tipical newi man says unyo
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by Agrika: 10:48am On Apr 09, 2013
Onitsha/Obosi/Anambra dialect i know and prefer....would love to learn the Owerri dialect.
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by somegirl1: 9:19pm On Sep 21, 2016
Abagworo:

Many Southern Igbos are unaware of various dialects in Anambra and hence believe that the Igbo spoken in Onitsha same in the entire Anambra.Another interesting observation is that many Southern Igbos give names using the NCI except in few exceptions.

Such names as Ifeanyi,Ifeoma,Ifeyinwa,Nwora,Ifediora,Ozoemena rarely have the SCI versions of Iheanyi,Iheoma, Iheyinwa,Nwoha, Ihedioha,Ozoemela.It is mainly in Ikwerre that other versions are more popular like Hanyi,Homa,Woha etc.
The emboldened are common.

1 Like

Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by freeatlast0101: 4:09pm On Sep 22, 2016
Abagworo:

Cross River Igbos generally use "jookwa" or "Ka" as a general form of greeting.These include Item,Abiriba,Ohafia,Edda,Ehugbo,Ohaozara and more.The Ngwa say "mazi" while in Imo and Anambra you have variances of "Ajee","Deme","ooni","daalu","Ndewo" and more.
@Abagworo, Lol it is funny most of hv a very limited knowledge of Ebonyi n it ppl,my place Ohaozora do not greet "jookwa,nor kaa,but rather we greet Ndaa and kaa is (ndoo)sorry.
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by freeatlast0101: 4:35pm On Sep 22, 2016
[quote author=igreal20 post=15142552][/quote]. Bia enyi ndaa,i su na anyi mere o ngunu.Thatz my Ohaozora dialect so u can figure it out ooh nna,Most of you don't understand hw interwoven various Igbo dialects are, ie we say" ive for ihe n ife,ndaa ,kaa for ndoo, jee for gaa,uno for ulo etc. @Abagworo Since u are in ph ,take a walk to rumuora,rumuokwuta n rumuokoro and listen carefully to hear of hw ppl from Ohaozora speak dia dialect cuz most of d traders around those axis r from Ohaozora.finally can someone pls hlp me out regards where in rivers state is okposi located cuz i entered a bus @rumuokoro park to okposi only to discover it is not d okposi in Ohaozora when d driver started collectn d bus fare lol.
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by freeatlast0101: 5:01pm On Sep 22, 2016
Dede1:
I love all the Igbo dialects from the hills to the coasts. Ndigbo had already secured a centralized language, hence, central Igbo.
Gbam iji ya,bia mama Ogoo wotara Dede ovu bottle noo bu onye ogiranya.
Re: Which Igbo Dialect Do You Like The Most by SonOfEl(m): 1:18pm On Apr 09, 2020
Afam4eva:
I don't know whhy i just like hearinf people from Anambra speak. Their Igbo usually sounds like they're speaking English and the swag is another thing.

For example i prefer using Ife(Awka and other Anambra) or Ive(Onitsha) to Iye(Wawa) or Ihe(Central igbo, though i like this one too).

Which igbo dialects do u enjoy hearing or speaking.

The entire umuahia clans (ibeku, ohuhu, umuokpara, ubakala, olokoro) speak similar dialects with little or no variation.

our greeting - mmamma nu o

we use "shi" rather than "si" (e.g ashi means lie, shie nri means to cook food)

we refer one (1) as either "otu" or "nge"

we nasalize our tone speech

ubakala sometimes uses "obu nugu?" instead of our common "obu gini?"

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hoodlums Disrupt Chieftaincy Installation By Olubadan / My Personal Yoruba Lessons. / Ex-oba Of Benin’s Blessings Aided Lagos Development – Akiolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.