Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,831 members, 7,802,663 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" (13865 Views)

Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? / Edo (benin) Nairalander's Let Meet Here / Need Help With The Edo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 9:57pm On Feb 06, 2011
From little that i have found out about the NL culture thread it's all been bombarded with the Yoruba's and Igbo mostly so i think it's time we take it to BENIN CITY grin

Please you are free to post what you know and what you would like to know about the BENIN'S wink

THE ORIGIN
The original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Edo people, were initially ruled by the Ogisos (Kings of the Sky) who called their land Igodomigodo. The city (later called Benin City by the Portuguese in the late 15th century) was initially founded by the 8th century AD and was surrounded by autonomous settlements protected by large earthen walls

DECLINE
The city and empire of Benin declined after 1700. By this time, European activity in the area, most notably through the Trans-Atlantic slave-trade, resulted in major disruptive repercussions. Tribal wars, from which captured enemies provided slaves as a lucrative source of finance, took their toll on population demographics and ebbed away at Benin's power. However, it was revived in the 19th century with the development of the trade in palm oil and textiles. To preserve Benin's independence, bit by bit the Oba banned the export of goods from Benin, until the trade was exclusively in palm oil.

Benin resisted signing a protectorate treaty with Britain through most of the 1880s and 1890s. However, after Benin discovered Britain's true intentions, eight unknowing British representatives, who came to visit Benin were killed. As a result a Punitive Expedition was launched in 1897. The British force, under the command of Admiral Sir Harry Rawson, razed and burned the city, destroying much of the country's treasured art and dispersing nearly all that remained. The stolen portrait figures, busts, and groups created in iron, carved ivory, and especially in brass (conventionally called the "Benin Bronzes"wink are now displayed in museums around the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by Nobody: 10:00pm On Feb 06, 2011
Perfect!!

I've always adored the Edo culture. Tell us a bit of your practices, customs, attire, tradition, supernatural beliefs etc. . . .

I want to know more about the hair beads. . . .
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 10:15pm On Feb 06, 2011
EDO FESTIVAL'S AND CEREMONIES

IGUE
This to me was the best ceremony been celebrated while growing up, My cousins and i would go to the village to celebrate it with my aunt's husband family because my parent's weren't into this act much grin

The festival usually begins with the annointing of the Oba's head with chalk signifying purity and blood of the sacrificial animal's which are slaughtered during the festival which is characterised with merriment.The chiefs usually pays homeage to the oba and after the Oba had perfornmed his own IGUE the royal families follow's and three days after the Edo's celebrate it as a whole.

[b]AGUE[/b]The benin traditional fasting period

[b]UGIVIE[/b]Festival for cleaning and washing of the royal beads

and many more. . . . .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 10:23pm On Feb 06, 2011
RELIGIOUS BELIEF

The traditional Edo view, the universe is divided into two planes of existence: the visible, tangible world of everyday life ( agbon ) and the invisible spirit world ( erinmwin ) created by Osanobua.

The creator god, Osanobua, is rather remote; worship is more frequently directed toward the other deities, who are his children.

The most important of these—according to Benin notions of seniority—is Olokun, his oldest son. Olokun, the ruler of the global waters and the provider of wealth and fertility, is the most widely venerated deity in Benin, especially among women who join local congregations to pray and sacrifice for children.

Ogun, the god of iron, is the concern of all who deal with metal, including taxi drivers and mechanics.

Other deities include Osun, the power inherent in leaves and herbs, the special concern of herbalists;

Ogiuwu, the god of death; and Obienmwen, the goddess of safe delivery. Yoruba deities such as Eshu, the trickster; Shango, the god of thunder; and Orunmila, the deity of divination, have been incorporated into Edo religion.E.T.C
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 10:25pm On Feb 06, 2011
ARTS
The Benin Kingdom is well known for its brass and ivory sculpture, which is found in museums throughout the world. These objects were produced for the king and the nobility by members of craft guilds in Benin City. Among the most famous Benin works of art are the brass (often mislabeled "bronze"wink.

AT THIS POINT I SAY GOD BLESS THE EDO'S BECAUSE WE REPRESENT ART kiss kiss kiss kiss beautiful people kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by aljharem(m): 10:27pm On Feb 06, 2011
benin culture is one of the best wink smiley smiley smiley

the beads are just lovely smiley
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 10:33pm On Feb 06, 2011
DEATH AND AFTER LIFE
Death is seen by the Edo as part of a cycle in which an individual moves between the spirit world and the everyday world in a series of fourteen reincarnations. Each cycle begins with an appearance before the Creator God, at which time a person announces his or her destiny or life plan. The person's spiritual counterpart (ehi) is present and thereafter monitors the person's adherence to the announced plan. After death, the person and his or her ehi must give an account to the Creator God. If the account is acceptable, the person joins the ancestors in the spirit world until the time has come to be born again.

In the spirit world, the ancestors live in villages and quarters similar to those in the world of everyday life. From there, they watch over the behavior of their relations in the everyday world, punishing transgressions such as Inbreeding. Their descendants perform weekly and annual rituals to placate and implore the ancestors to bring benefits of health and fertility.

[b]JUST TO THROW SOME LIGHT INTO THIS HERE IS A TRUE STORY[/b]i had a cousin whom they believed was an ogbanje(sea goddess) when she died they went to a spercial herbalist to invoke her spirit so as to know if her death was meant to be and according to those who went there they said her spirit was invoked and her mother(a sister to my grand ma)spoke to her.
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 11:00pm On Feb 06, 2011
FL Gators:

Perfect!!

I've always adored the Edo culture. Tell us a bit of your practices, customs, attire, tradition, supernatural beliefs etc. . . .

I want to know more about the hair beads. . . .
will let you in on as many as i know. . . .

alj harem:

benin culture is one of the best wink smiley smiley smiley

the beads are just lovely smiley
kiss kiss kiss
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 11:40pm On Feb 06, 2011
MEETING OF THE COUPLE'S(many year's back)
courtship can begin among the individual's during the trip to the river to fetch water or during the moonlight play(EVIONTOL). when a Man is ready to get married series of investigation are conducted by both families about the family backgrounds.

DESCRIPTIVE PHRASES ABOUT MARRIAGE

Okhia ye Omo ye Oronmwen(he wants to give the daughter away in marriage)

Okhia rie okhuo(he wants to get married to a woman)

Okhia romwen Odo(he wants to marry a husband)
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by Nobody: 11:41pm On Feb 06, 2011
Nice! Keep them coming!
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 11:43pm On Feb 06, 2011
^^^^ you nor well oh grin grin grin its a SHE and not an HE. . . .that was a mistake dear wink
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by Nobody: 11:45pm On Feb 06, 2011
Lol ok cheesy
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 12:01am On Feb 07, 2011
THE TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE
On the D-Day, when the bride and the groom are presented openly to the families, Kolanuts and wine are presented. The OKA EGBE of the woman's famil would normally preside over the ceremony.Prayer's are said and kolanuts are broken. The woman alway's sits on the lap of the father 7times before she is given away.

MY FAVOURITE PART abeg make the day reach jor grin
The bride now known as[b] OVBIOHA[/b] would be led by the relatives to the husband's house with all her property. As the family and friends awaits the OVBIOHA messages will arrive suggesting that there are UGHUNGHUN(barriers on the road). The bridegroom has to remove the barriers by sending money to the party and this is done reapeatedly grin kiss kiss

As they approach the house of the bridegroom you can hear echo of OVBIOHA GHA MIEN ARO-ARO(bride be proud). Arrival at the bridegroom's house is immediately followed by the ceremony of IKPOBO OVBIOHA(washing of the bride's hands). A bowl of water with money in it would be brought out and a woman in the bride's family will bring out an headtie and wash the hands of the bride in the bowl and dries her hand with the head tie. Both the new headtie and the money in the bowl belongs to the bride. . . . . . . . . . .

DOWRY
The Benin believes that wife is free so the groom is asked to pay 24Naira as the bride price

God i love this culture kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 12:27am On Feb 07, 2011
pics for ya. . . . kiss kiss kiss

Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 12:30am On Feb 07, 2011
more. . .

Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 12:34am On Feb 07, 2011
. . . . . . .

Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by honeric01(m): 6:06am On Feb 07, 2011
If you search the forum well, you'd see a very comprehensive thread that has alot of bini stuffs on it.
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 07, 2011
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by Atreides(f): 11:27am On Feb 07, 2011
Okay so i'm Bini. Who wants to hear the story of Iden/Imotan?
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by yme1(f): 7:21pm On Feb 07, 2011
honeric01:

If you search the forum well, you'd see a very comprehensive thread that has alot of bini stuffs on it.
E no we a. .  tongue tongue

FL Gators:

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/389158_Arese-Michael-Ugwu-Trad-Wedding-Bella-Naija0010-399x600_jpg2ac1571b7e4f84b6f89d3ed4f97cd02b[/img]

So Bini men could be this fine? shocked shocked shocked
Some of them are really lovely when it coomes to look's but if you see some them be like people wey Gwad use take stone ground undecided

honeric01:

We will love to know that and you can also tell us more about the coral beads wink
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by honeric01(m): 11:47pm On Feb 07, 2011
^^^^^

Hehehehe, sorry ma, u ma no me o tongue
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by kech(f): 12:50am On Feb 13, 2011
FL Gators:

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/389158_Arese-Michael-Ugwu-Trad-Wedding-Bella-Naija0010-399x600_jpg2ac1571b7e4f84b6f89d3ed4f97cd02b[/img]

So Bini men could be this fine? shocked shocked shocked

I think the girl is Bini, marrying an Igbo man. But I tell you, Bini men can fine sha. I think the Binis and the Efiks have the finest dark skinned men in Naija.
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by snthesis(m): 10:12pm On May 26, 2012
nice thread
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by ezotik: 8:10pm On May 27, 2012
ivbiedo n'uzomo grin

4 Likes

Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by masterpiecer(m): 6:39am On Jan 23, 2013
nice thread, i want to get married to a benin woman, they are beautiful people
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by ezotik: 10:26pm On Jan 23, 2013
l like this girl's concept. something 'modern' from the more 'traditional' wrapper but still keeping the tradition of the people

Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by jbrodaly(m): 10:55pm On Jan 23, 2013
masterpiecer: nice thread, i want to get married to a benin woman, they are beautiful people
I fit connect you na wink
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by masterpiecer(m): 3:31pm On Jan 24, 2013
jbrodaly:
I fit connect you na wink

ah, tanks bro, but i already got 1, she is benin
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by jbrodaly(m): 10:09pm On Jan 24, 2013
masterpiecer:

ah, tanks bro, but i already got 1, she is benin

congrats bro!
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by truthseeker777: 11:57pm On Dec 28, 2013
Wa dor mo o!!! I know this thread has been idle for a while. I need sound feedback. What will you advice us whose State of Origin is Benin and we don't know how to speak it; should we continue the generation of non-speaking binis by marrying outside the state, or should we look for a bini-speaking spouse to bridge this gap. Like in my case, Dad is Benin, Mum is Yoruba, born and brought up in Lagos (now u get the picture), the few Benin lines I know are my personal effort undecided (Hey! Wen commenting, don't blame my Popsi o) ... Just imagine, I know sabi speak bini, I come go marry from East or North, I don dilute the next generation of binis. Thanks in advance for your kind contributions. This is my very first post on Nairaland so be nice to me. I wish Nairaland has Sheke or water to pour me.
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by jbrodaly(m): 7:50pm On Dec 29, 2013
truthseeker777: Wa dor mo o!!! I know this thread has been idle for a while. I need sound feedback. What will you advice us whose State of Origin is Benin and we don't know how to speak it; should we continue the generation of non-speaking binis by marrying outside the state, or should we look for a bini-speaking spouse to bridge this gap. Like in my case, Dad is Benin, Mum is Yoruba, born and brought up in Lagos (now u get the picture), the few Benin lines I know are my personal effort undecided (Hey! Wen commenting, don't blame my Popsi o) ... Just imagine, I know sabi speak bini, I come go marry from East or North, I don dilute the next generation of binis. Thanks in advance for your kind contributions. This is my very first post on Nairaland so be nice to me. I wish Nairaland has Sheke or water to pour me.
No be small thing o-o ma easy.You are not alone
Re: About The Edo's/benin's. . . "oba Gha To Kpe Re" by tpia5: 4:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
your state of origin is edo.

That aside, I only know of a few people with yoruba mothers and non yoruba fathers sha, its usually the other way round.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" / Rare Yoruba Gods / Orishaa / Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.