Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy (585 Views)

Irate Youths Hurl Stones At Mimiko, Accuses Him Of Corruption / Hundreds Of Half Nude Women Throw Mud, Stones At Gov Yero / Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy by Ovularia: 8:57am On Feb 08, 2011
Nasarawa protesters hurl stones at Jonathan’s convoy

By Umar Muhammed and Festus Owete

February 8, 2011 05:46AM

Young men and women lined major roads leading to the Emir of Lafia’s palace in Nasarawa state yesterday chanting “Sai Buhari” and carrying Congress of Progressive Change presidential candidate Muhammadu Buhari posters. The youth also threw stones at the convoy of President Goodluck Jonathan as it passed by on its way to the state capital for the official flag-off of the presidential campaign, smashing a few windscreens in the process. The campaign entourage included the vice-president, Namadi Sambo, along with six governors from the North Central zone and other party candidates. Mr. Jonathan was accompanied along Doma Road to the palace by the governor of Nasarawa State, Aliyu Akwe Doma, to pay a visit to the traditional ruler, Isa Mustapha Agwai II.

The People’s Democratic Party spent several hours repairing damage caused by the anti-Jonathan/Sambo protesters to billboards of the president and his vice. The billboards had been defaced with paint, including another of Governor Doma, erected at strategic locations around the Lafia metropolis. When Mr. Jonathan’s convoy arrived in the town and made its way to the emir’s palace at about 2:30pm, the protesters blocked all major roads to the palace, hurling stones at the convoy. They screamed: “Nigeria, Sai Buhari, Nasarawa, Sai Al-Makura”, continually, overwhelming the efforts of security operatives including armed police officers stationed at strategic locations around the area.

State police commissioner, Wilfred Obute, refused to speak when our reporter called him for official comment. He said that he could not speak because he was in a meeting. Next observed that the police doubled the number of armed police officers and other security operatives along the way to Lafia Township Stadium, venue of the campaign flag-off. Supporters of party candidates were denied access to the venue of the campaign rally, a development which compelled the party to address a sparse crowd during the rally.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5675047-146/nasarawa_protesters_hurl_stones_at_jonathans.csp
Re: Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy by Nobody: 9:14am On Feb 08, 2011
Jonathan's approval rating is very low and ugly incident like this only shows that a lot of nigerians want genuine leadership which they can't find in either pdp or jonathan.
Re: Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy by ddcmachine: 9:51am On Feb 08, 2011
@bluetooth, when it happens in all the zones then u judge it that way, so i disagree with u, according to reports, that is buhari's new way of campaign
Re: Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy by ddcmachine: 9:51am On Feb 08, 2011
@bluetooth, when it happens in all the zones then u judge it that way, so i disagree with u, according to reports, that is buhari's new way of campaign
Re: Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy by Nobody: 10:26am On Feb 08, 2011
ddc machine:

what proof do you have to show it was buhari's style ?
Re: Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 08, 2011
Much as I condemn the attack, I think PDP governors in these northern states can begin to pack their loads from government house. I see CPC sweeping the north in April.
Re: Nasarawa Protesters Hurl Stones At Jonathan’s Convoy by Gbawe: 10:50am On Feb 08, 2011
ddc machine:

@bluetooth, when it happens in all the zones then u judge it that way, so i disagree with u, according to reports, t[b]hat is buhari's new way of campaign[/b]

So Buhari instigated them to hurl stones at Jonathan's convoy? Jonathan may have bought over the delegates but unless he has $7000 for every Nigerian you should learn to accept that he does not appeal to everyone despite the noise about his popularity.

(1) (Reply)

Apple Boss Has 6 Weeks To Live / Curruption And Poor Management In Ait / President’s Power Adviser: Ipps Could End Up As White Elephants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.