Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs (4841 Views)

Ndigbo Won’t Be Better Off Seceding From Nigeria – Ohanaeze Advises MASSOB / Threats: Ohanaeze, MASSOB, OPC Back Nigerdelta Militants / Kano Bombing: Massob Threatens War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Abagworo(m): 6:44am On Feb 09, 2011
Alphonsus Nweze, Onitsha About 200 members of the Movement for the Actualization of Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) were yesterday arrested by the police in Onitsha, Anambra State commercial nerve centre. The groups director of information, Comrade Uchenna Madu said the mass arrest was sequel to an order by the Anambra State Commissioner of Police (CP), Muktari Ibrahim who was prompted by Governor Peter Obi, whose hatred for MASSOB has never been hidden. Madu said police hounded MASSOB members who are predominantly Okada riders and were wearing MASSOB identity cards and caps. But the police spokesman in Anambra state, Mr. Emeka Chukwuemeka said he has not been briefed about the arrest, hoping that the information will come to the desk later yesterday. Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr. Mike Udah however denied that governor Obi has a hand in the arrest of MASSOB members in Onitsha Tuesday. He said the Commissioner of Police as the head of federal security agency in the state do not take directly from Governor Obi to arrest any person who has flouted the law. He said if MASSOB members so arrested flouted any law of the land, the Commissioner of Police do not need any permission from the governor before arresting them, and they should not blame their plight on the governor. But Madu insisted that Obi has instructed the Commissioner of Police to arrest MASSOB members who had refused to identify with the task and revenue policies of Obis government because of their Biafra struggle. "That is why they are being hounded. Most of the MASSOB members are Okada riders and they earn a living through Okada riding. Obis action is wicked because he has no Igbo interest but he claimed to be a disciple of Odimegwu Ojukwu. His action on MASSOB does not betray Ojukwus position as Igbo leader", said MASSOB. Governor Obi should know that he climbed to Government House through the ladder of MASSOB in 2003 , where three of their members died in Atani protesting Obis ballot box. He accused the CP of
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Abagworo(m): 6:46am On Feb 09, 2011
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Nobody: 7:01am On Feb 09, 2011
Nowadays, I'm hoping these loud basket mouth Pro-Biafran NLers would get off their laptop and support the MASSOB. Since 2005 when Nl was created, we've been hearing the same drama. If these loud basked mouth pro-biafran put their teeth in the knuckles' direction, there would be a Biafran nation by now.

Infact, the thing vex me, I feel like sending free toothbrushes/Pako-Enu to these ppl, to keep inspiring them to fight for what they deem is right.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by udezue(m): 7:22am On Feb 09, 2011
I am beginning to dislike Peter Obi. This is nothing but a clear case of human right's abuse going on under his nose and he is not doing anything to stop it. He does not need to support the Biafra cause but at the same time he should not relax while citizens of his state are maltreated.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Diligence: 12:06pm On Feb 09, 2011
Leave Massobians alone as they have absolute right to self-determination and if they choose to achive this thru non-violence, then, their fundamental international human rights shld not be trampled upon.

However, if u push them to the wall and they finally resort to violence, then Ogbunigwe wt 21st century touch would be applied accordingly!

To be forewarned,
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Ikwikwikwi(m): 12:56pm On Feb 09, 2011
undecided

i still dey watch una
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by myk2mic: 1:27pm On Feb 09, 2011
I beg to be told if massob includes the states of rivers ebonyi, calabar and uyo etc.Part of the reason y biafra failed the last time around was because of these states .they felt left out and gave the federal troops access through the back door.what exactly is massob fighting for , independence from nigeria? ,if yes, are they to be ruled by the same foolish people who are in charge now. The core eastern states are filled with leaders who have no idea of what to do with the power or money that come their way.take Abia state for instance, the former gov, Orji ruled for 8 yrs yet his greatest achievement was enyimba winning the CAF champions league. The present gov is even more clueless.part of the reason why igbos wont even take any igbo man contesting for presidency seriously
If massob are serious about their intentions, it should start with planning and determination, i believe the struggle must start by dealing with the govs and building up the eastern states to the economic level that most people are aware that they posses, and wen the time comes for them to declare independence ,they would have the support of the totality of the igbo people.I can assure u that as things are right nw, majority of the igbo people see the group along with its leader as attention seeking people.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Mbeki: 1:58pm On Feb 09, 2011
That's the problem with Nigeria Security forces.

Boko Haram has been unleashing terror in the north-east, yet they don't see them as a security threat, but those that chooses to carry out their grievances in peace are the ones been arrested.
They should learn a lesson from Sudan
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by myk2mic: 2:04pm On Feb 09, 2011
Mbeki:

Boko Haram has been unleashing terror in the north-east, yet they don't see them as a security threat, but those that chooses to carry out their grievances in peace are the ones been arrested.

they arrest them mostly because the go about with uniforms and id cards on them lol, grin
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Mobinga: 2:52pm On Feb 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Nowadays, I'm hoping these loud basket mouth Pro-Biafran NLers would get off their laptop and support the MASSOB. Since 2005 when Nl was created, we've been hearing the same drama. If these loud basked mouth pro-biafran put their teeth in the knuckles' direction, there would be a Biafran nation by now.

Infact, the thing vex me, I feel like sending free toothbrushes/Pako-Enu to these ppl, to keep inspiring them to fight for what they deem is right.
Another record low.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Kobojunkie: 3:17pm On Feb 09, 2011
Mbeki:

This is NOThing to do with Nigerian authorities but Anambra State Authorities.

@Poster, this news, and many others before it, goes to confirm how not so popular this group MASSOB, is with the people. That 200 members were rounded up and the barely any noise from the People of Anambra, goes to show the movement is yet to even get itself recognized in that state. I will go as far as to say that the same sort of silence will probably be witnessed in other states if MASSOB members in those states are rounded up.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by myk2mic: 3:27pm On Feb 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, this news, and many others before it, goes to confirm how not so popular this group MASSOB, are with the people. That 200 members were rounded up and the barely any peep from the People of Anambra, goes to show the movement is yet to even get itself recognized in that state. I will go as far as to say that the same sort of silence will probably be witnessed in other states if MASSOB members in those states are rounded up.
thanks for saying that, i have stressed that point many times, the group has no focus and as such is not popular in the east.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by jmoore(m): 3:43pm On Feb 09, 2011
when will these folks learn that BIAFRA IS A DEAD DREAM?

ONE NIGERIA!!
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by aljharem(m): 3:45pm On Feb 09, 2011
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, this news, and many others before it, goes to confirm how not so popular this group MASSOB, are with the people. That 200 members were rounded up and the barely any peep from the People of Anambra, goes to show the movement is yet to even get itself recognized in that state. I will go as far as to say that the same sort of silence will probably be witnessed in other states if MASSOB members in those states are rounded up.

gbam
gbam gbam

most easterners do not like massob apart from nairaland of course undecided
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by hackney(m): 3:59pm On Feb 09, 2011
The issue with Biafra as it stands today is that its true cause is dying.
The agitation of old was purely in pursuit of a clear-cut identity and the freedom to be all you can be as a
small,compact and efficient nation.
Unfortunately,all is left is a few people that stand to selfishly gain directly from such a secession one way or another.

Also personally, the urge to get back at people is not there as it used to be.
No point shedding blood as at the end of the day and beyond social barriers, we are all. . well. . just people.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Frandey: 4:57pm On Feb 09, 2011
Well that is good for them, all this ebonyi people in anambra, causing trouble to the state, after the state/federal government set them away last previous years they think it is impossible for their struggle to become a reality thats why they are back last month to the state after goodluck won the pdp primary, to get biafra they have to get anambra state involved.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by EzeUche2(m): 5:02pm On Feb 09, 2011
Let them turn to violence now. Non-violence is something the Nigerian state doesn't realize.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by matazzmagi(m): 5:37pm On Feb 09, 2011
They are not massob members,mostly okada people from abakeliki ebony state dont foget that onitsha is one of the richest state in S.E. anywere thier is money you will see a high rise of crime and all sort some people in these forum like to jump in anything igbo/biafra confused bunch of anthropoid dont get it.we dont need them and they see that, but the fear of us leaving is another thing 2 nigerians igbos are now bringing more development in their towns and villages read these.

US-based Nigerian turns his rural community into city
…Builds houses for widows, schools, magistrate court, police barracks, others
From CHIDI NNADI, Enugu
Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Justice Obidigwe cutting the tape. Inset: The building
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
The natives of Umuchukwu in Orumba South Local Government Area of Anambra State are indeed God’s own people as the name implies. The people have so much been blessed through one of their sons who lives in the United States of America, Dr Godwin Maduka, director of Las Vegas Pain Institute, USA, whose dream is to make his town look like one of the best cities in the world.

Thus Maduka whose philanthropy in Umuchukwu knows no bound has turned the community around, putting in it modern facilities and amenities even as he is poised to do more.
Recently, the multi-million naira Chief Magistrate Court and police barracks he built in Umuchukwu was commissioned.
Prior to the building of the two projects, the US-based philanthropist had built an ultra-modern civic centre for the town.
Similarly, he had built the Saint Judes’ pro-Cathedral for the Catholic Church; eight-floor tower for Grotto of the Blessed Virgin Mary; the Rev Father’s house; Trinity Hospital, and the present central market of the town.
He had also donated acres of land and facilitated the MSP Monastery, built and furnished standard houses for over 20 widows and the less privileged in the town.

Maduka had also built schools for his people and empowered them economically, just as he had provided scholarship awards to Umuchukwu people both at home and abroad from primary to university level.
He is still providing for the upgrading of the Immaculate Conception International College in the town even as the provision of many other amenities for the community is ongoing.

The Chief Magistrate Court and police barracks were commissioned by the Deputy Governor of Anambra State, Engr Emeka Sibeudu, who represented Governor Peter Obi and the Chief Judge of the state respectively amid merry making and cultural display by the people.
Commissioning the Chief Magistrate Court, the Chief Judge of Anambra State, Hon. Justice P.A.C. Obidigwe, said he was overwhelmed , describing it as marvelous.
Praising the donor, he said that by the grace of the court, peace and tranquility would reign in Anambra State, Orumba South, and Umuchukwu in particular.

He pointed out that the judiciary in Anambra State had so much been relieved of its burdens, saying that courts within the district would automatically be decongested as the court session would begin immediately all logistics were put in place.
Those who accompanied Justice Obidigwe to the commissioning were Chief O. B. Onyali (SAN); J.I. Igu, chairman, Awka Bar Association; Magistrate Ogolo of Orumba South Magistrate district; and Chief Registrar, Chief M. N. Okonkwo.

The learned men had earlier paid a courtesy call on the Igwe of Umuchukwu, HRH Igwe M.N. Ukaegbu at his palace, where the Igwe thanked them for coming even as he prayed that God continue to bless Dr Maduka the philantropist. Speaking, the Chairman, the commissioning ceremony, Sir Izu Nwankwo, a lawyer, praised Maduka for his kind heart towards his people.
He pointed out that God has effectively used Maduka to richly transform Umuchukwu as he had put in place all goodies thereby making Umuchukwu an urban area within the shortest possible time.
Nwankwo urged the Umuchukwu community to continue to appreciate what God has done for them through Dr Maduka as the sky is his limit in moving the town higher.

Also Chief Onyali (SAN) thanked Maduka for building and handing over the court to the government, saying that by so doing he had elevated and magnified Umuchukwu.
The secretary of Aguata Bar Association who was represented by S.U. Anyia praised the standard of the new Umuchukwu Chief Magistrate Court, saying that other courts in the area are dilapidating and thus the court at Umuchukwu had come at a good time in Anambra State.

The Head of Orumba South Local Government Administration, Mr George E. Arinze also joined the lot who poured encomiums on Maduka at the occasion as he said that the US-based doctor is a special and wonderful person that cares for his people and urged Umuchukwu people to pray for his long life.
The Umuchukwu people through their President General, Okey Nwele; traditional ruler, Igwe M.N. Ukaegbu; Secretary General, Hon Obed Ibe were excited as they said that it had become an annual ritual that they must commission one project or the other since their son, Dr Maduka, decided to lift Umuchukwu to greater heights.

They noted that in 2008, a police station was commissioned; in 2009, a full-fledged post office with Internet facilities followed, and in 2010, they had gathered to commission a Chief Magistrate Court and Police barracks donated by Maduka, saying that these gestures had made Umuchukwu become the fastest developing town in the state in the last five years.

The community, however, lamented that no son or daughter of the town had had any government appointment, making them to urge the governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi to change the trend and give their children appointments.
They told the Chief Judge of Anambra State that Dr Maduka had asked for his approval for him to build a befitting high court in the town to help decongest courts cases in Anambra State.

In a vote of thanks, the legal adviser to Dr Maduka and facilitator to the Umuchukwu Chief Magistrate Court, Mr Vincent Ottaokpukpu, a lawyer, thanked the Chief Judge for coming in person to commission the court, praying him to see that nothing delays court proceedings in the place.
He prayed the Chief Judge to consider the high court request made by Maduka, saying that if the request is granted, the philanthropist would build the court and equip it with the latest gargets.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by POTUT(m): 6:57pm On Feb 09, 2011
Why is the government/police flexing muscle on MASSOB?

Is it because MASSOB has not imported weapons on a massive scale and are rattling the foundations of their communities with violence?

MASSOB so far has been non-violent, as opposed to Boko Haram.

Police & Government & Governor, please this is an overkill. Go out there in Borno, Bauchi and Plateau and engage the violent ones. MASSOB is as weak as it is seen. MASSOB cannot foist a Biafra on Biafrans except Biafrans accept it and want it. So far, that is not the case.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by ceej(m): 7:03pm On Feb 09, 2011
THEY CAN ARREST THE WHOLE OF THE IBO RACE.BUT ONE THINGS IS SURE WE SHALL EMANCIPATE SOME DAY. NIGERIA NEEDS REFERENDUM.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Anaegboka(m): 9:06pm On Feb 09, 2011
These people posturing as freedom fighters are frustrated people from Ebonyi, Enugu and parts of Abia states. Why is it that it is only in Onitsha that they are making noise. I'm not a fan of Mr Peter Obi but his magnanimity towards this Okada riders should be lauded as it is only in Anambra state that they are not under any form of check. If Biafra is to be led by the kind of people I see in massob the almajiris of Igboland, I prefer to live in exile outside Igboland.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by jason123: 9:19pm On Feb 09, 2011
Anaegboka:

These people posturing as freedom fighters are frustrated people from Ebonyi, Enugu and parts of Abia states. Why is it that it is only in Onitsha that they are making noise. I'm not a fan of Mr Peter Obi but his magnanimity towards this Okada riders should be lauded as it is only in Anambra state that they are not under any form of check. If Biafra is to be led by the kind of people I see in massob the almajiris of Igboland, I prefer to live in exile outside Igboland.

Are you Igbo
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Anaegboka(m): 10:22pm On Feb 09, 2011
jason123:

Are you Igbo
I am an original, unadulterated Anambra man. These people disrupted the last census excercise and you may know it's likely effect as the man 'Obasanjo' under whose tenure it was conducted is a hater of Ibos. The people whose arrest I witnessed were the ones trying to disrupt the just concluded voters registration exercise.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Nobody: 10:30pm On Feb 09, 2011
Anaegboka:

Those ppl are jobless grad students with 10yrs (or more) certificate. Nothing better to do.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by ezeagu(m): 11:30pm On Feb 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Those ppl are jobless grad students with 10yrs (or more) certificate. Nothing better to do.

It's best you keep your mouth in things you know.

Anaegboka:

The okada drivers can be wild, but when was the last time you visited Eastern Nigeria for to think that MASSOB members were "Almajiris" from Ebonyi, Enugu, and Abia states only??
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Anaegboka(m): 11:32pm On Feb 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

No wise Ibo man who is a graduate can remain jobless for that long because we know nobody will give us job on a platter. We'd rather be farming than be unemployed for that long.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Anaegboka(m): 11:50pm On Feb 09, 2011
ezeagu:

The okada drivers can be wild, but when was the last time you visited Eastern Nigeria for to think that MASSOB members were "Almajiris" from Ebonyi, Enugu, and Abia states only??
You said they can be wild, it validates my point or will you like to trust your life and that of your family in the hands of a wild group?
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by strangest(m): 11:52pm On Feb 09, 2011
The majority of those pushing for Biafra at Onitsha are Okada drivers, I do not think Peter Obi is responsible for them being arrested because alternatively he would have banned okada in Anambra as a whole if he wants to get rid of those okada rider pushing for biafra, Peter Obi is a good governor and I do not know why people will just want to say bad things about him, probably they need Mbadinuju,
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Abagworo(m): 12:00am On Feb 10, 2011
Imagine the rubbish some people are writing.Saying that Onitsha is one of the richest States in Igboland and Abia,Ebonyi and Enugu people are paupers.This is why I keep telling you people that there is nothing like a single Igbo ethnic group.I still wonder where the so-called money is.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by asha80(m): 12:03am On Feb 10, 2011
Anaegboka:

You said they can be wild, it validates my point or will you like to trust your life and that of your family in the hands of a wild group?

you did not answer his question.

ezeagu:

strangest:

The majority of those pushing for Biafra at Onitsha are Okada drivers, I do not think Peter Obi is responsible for them being arrested because alternatively he would have banned okada in Anambra as a whole if he wants to get rid of those okada rider pushing for biafra,  Peter Obi is a good governor and I do not know why people will just want to say bad things about him, probably they need Mbadinuju,

shocked  grin
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by ezeagu(m): 12:05am On Feb 10, 2011
Anaegboka:

What I was pointing out was that you claimed Biafra "almajiris" are only from Abia, Enugu, and Ebonyi. I asked whether you have visited Eastern Nigeria or toured all the Igbo states to know that One, all MASSOB members are violent, two all MASSOB members are from Enugu, Abia, and Ebonyi. I replied to you this way because you seem like someone who is relevant enough to talk about the East with.
Re: Onitsha: Police Arrest 200 Massob Memberrs by Anaegboka(m): 12:22am On Feb 10, 2011
ezeagu:

What I was pointing out was that you claimed Biafra "almajiris" are only from Abia, Enugu, and Ebonyi. I asked whether you have visited Eastern Nigeria or toured all the Igbo states to know that One, all MASSOB members are violent, two all MASSOB members are from Enugu, Abia, and Ebonyi. I replied to you this way because you seem like someone who is relevant enough to talk about the East with.
In my post I said 'if Biafra is to be led by the kind of people' I did not call them violent, though I've witnessed some violence by some of them, mostly meted on citizens. The ones making the noise in Onitsha are from the areas I mentioned though the statement was not meant as an insult to the good people from those places.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

After Investing $1 Million, Amosun Orders Firm To Leave Ogun / #occupy Nigeria Protests In Pretoria , South Africa / Will Kano Ever Be The Same Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.