Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,240 members, 7,780,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:02 PM

Andoni Forum (anyone)? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Andoni Forum (anyone)? (7533 Views)

1904 British Punitive Expedition Against The Obolo (andoni) People & Their God / Andoni Ethnic Nationality (obolo As They Love To Be Called) / RIVERS STATE IJAW WEDDING; BONNY & ANDONI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Andoni Forum (anyone)? by solidicon(m): 12:01pm On Jun 16, 2007
Ebi Ngwan,

I really need to know if there is any andoni people arround. Please don't hesitate to reply this.
Be proud of your tongue.
Franky.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by desertboom(m): 1:51am On Aug 04, 2011
Hi bro. . . I represent ASARAMA town. How about you? Nice to know that I've a brother here
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by Afam4eva(m): 7:44am On Aug 04, 2011
Is Andoni similar to Ndoni? I've been hearing about the tribe but don't know if it's an Igbo group like Ndoni where Peter Odili hails from.

1 Like

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:38pm On Aug 04, 2011
No, Andoni and Ndoni are not the same or even similar. Andoni are a coastal group. They live right by the ocean. Their native name is Obolo. It is said that the name Andoni is a corruption of what the Ijo called them.

1 Like

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by desertboom(m): 4:33pm On Aug 05, 2011
@Afam4eva. Your question have just been answered by "chinenyeN" you're free to ask further questions if you wish . @chinenyeN. How did you come to know that corruption is synonymous to Andoni by the Ijo?
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:20am On Aug 06, 2011
desertboom:

@chinenyeN. How did you come to know that corruption is synonymous to Andoni by the Ijo?
I have extended friends and family from Ijo, and we've talked about hinterland and ND history. I got the general knowledge from them, and the details I researched myself.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by desertboom(m): 10:59pm On Aug 06, 2011
Please, Can you elucidate with clear examples or scenario why you believe ANDONI is corrupt according to the IJO? I'll be glad if you can place your research here for the sake of learning. Thanks as I await your responses
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:03am On Aug 07, 2011
Here's a section from "A History of Obolo (Andoni) in the Niger Delta", written by Nkparom C. Ejituwu

[img]http://books.google.com/books?id=qGMuAQAAIAAJ&pg=PR11&img=1&pgis=1&dq=%22others+say+that+it+was+derived+from+%22Idoni,%22+the+ijo+name+for+the+people%22&sig=ACfU3U10oL-OFiuEYzoXf2YqEtprevm3lw&edge=0[/img]
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by desertboom(m): 10:36pm On Aug 10, 2011
I've read that article long time ago. I can't seems to undertand your analogy besides my questions is unanswered.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:56am On Aug 11, 2011
I'm not sure I understand. You asked me how/why I commented that the name "Andoni" is stated to be a corruption of what the Ijo called the Obolo, and I presented you with a section from a book where the author essentially stated the same thing I stated. So, if this doesn't answer your question, then I'm not sure I understand what your question even is, though I would very much like to understand, so that I could answer accordingly.

1 Like

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by desertboom(m): 2:31pm On Aug 16, 2011
ChinenyeN:

You asked me how/why I commented that the name "Andoni" is stated to be a corruption of what the , Ijo called the Obolo
Yes. . . . but I've seen nothing of such from you.

ChinenyeN:

I presented you with a section from a book where the author essentially stated the same thing I stated. So, if this doesn't answer your question, then I'm not sure I understand what your question even is,
The section you shown above is just how the name ANDONI came into being.

ChinenyeN:

though I would very much like to understand, so that I could answer accordingly.
I would want you to enlighten me how this corruption came into being as you claimed with good examples.

1 Like

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ChinenyeN(m): 6:31pm On Aug 16, 2011
Hold on, before we even continue with this topic, I'd like to understand one thing. Are you taking the content in my post as my [/i]claims in particular? Because to be honest, they aren't my claims. I never claimed that Andoni is a corruption. That is the whole reason for me having stated that [i]"It is said". Don't associate me with the claim because it isn't my claim. Although, the claim makes a good deal of sense to me. Still it isn't [i]my [/i]claim. I hope you understand that, right?
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by desertboom(m): 11:28pm On Aug 16, 2011
Hahahaha. . . . . "The claim makes a deal of sense to me" That's why I want you to enlighten me how it makes sense, Something can only make sense if one understands the logic behind it. In your previous post you said that you've discuss with friends, family members and close relatives about the subject. Can you share with me? I mean the corruption of ANDONI by the IJO even if It's not your claim.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:15am On Aug 17, 2011
Alright. I understand now. Well, without going into a long story, I'll just go ahead and cut to the chase. I see sense in the it because in all of my discussions with extended friends and family, I noticed a pattern that is unique to Ijo (at least eastern Ijo). That pattern is how they refer to fellow eastern ND peoples.

Idoni (the Ijo name for Obolo people); Andoni is said to have derived from "Idoni"
Igoni (the Ijo name for Ogoni people); Ogoni is said to have derived from "Igoni"
Ibani (the Ijo name for Okoloma people); Bonny is said to have derived from "Ibani"

The above names (the bolded ones) are exclusive to the Ijo (only the Ijo traditionally use those names). A pattern of derivation is also clear here, and it leads me to see sense in the claim that Andoni is a name may have derived from the Ijo "Idoni".
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by Afam4eva(m): 9:56am On Aug 17, 2011
What language is spoken in Andoni or what language is it similar to.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by desertboom(m): 10:21am On Aug 17, 2011
@afam4eva. . . The language spoken by the ANDONI'S is called OBOLO. However, it consist of Ijaw, Efik and Igbo. It's a language on It's own, It's not similar to any language but It's contents is of Ijaw, Efik and Igbo. You can search youtube to listen to how it sounds.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by desertboom(m): 10:32am On Aug 17, 2011
@ChinenyeN. Thanks for the responses but I'll like to know the corruption aspect. Why did the Ijo term it CORRUPT? Is it because the name was modernise to ANDONI from IDONI? What was the expectation of the IJO concerning ANDONI?

1 Like

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:50pm On Aug 17, 2011
desertboom:
Is it because the name was modernise to ANDONI from IDONI?
I see. My choice of words is the problem. Well, when I said "corrupted to", it is the same thing as saying "derived from" or "modernized to" or "anglicized to". "Corruption" is not meant to connote anything negative. It's just a linguistic expression for when spelling or pronunciation changes occur in or between languages.

1 Like

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by wesley80(m): 5:00pm On Aug 17, 2011
^^^ Funny it took you this long to figure out the problem, i thought it was pretty obvious from the first question he asked.

@Topic, i'd always thought Andoni and Ndoni were one and thesame, always wondered why people preferred adding an 'A' before the 'Ndoni'. Ignorant me!
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:29pm On Aug 17, 2011
To be honest, for a second I suspected that was the case [my word choices]. That's why I switched to "derive" instead. I actually thought that desertboom would have understood my use of "corruption", and that it was synonymous with "derive", but he didn't. At that point I just didn't understand what the problem/miscommunication was, until desertboom mentioned "modernize". So the issue turned out to just be a matter of vocabulary all along. I thought (or assumed) he would have understood mine, but I guess I was mistaking. I guess I assumed too much.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by desertboom(m): 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2011
@ChinenyeN. Oh. . . . Thanks. Atleast people like me will also learn that "corrupt" is not about negativity.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:34pm On Aug 18, 2011
It's no problem, and sorry it took me this long to get what you were saying. I could have avoided all the unnecessary posting.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by Dede1(m): 6:24pm On Aug 20, 2011
It is funny to watch the extent people tend to give Ijo relevance. Ijo is not an ethnic but a derivative from Jos, a Portuguese term for people of the river. Andoni is more of Igbo and Ibibio or Annang than so-called Ijo. Obolo is more of Igbo than Ibibio. Furthermore, Ubani is anglicized as Bonny while denial artists called it Ibani.

Sometimes I marveled at the determined efforts to twist historical facts while at the same time display ignorance. I have seen Ama + Ikiri = Amakiri becomes Amachere. Also, Azumiri turns to Asimiri and Ama Onye anabo turns to Amayengbo. There were men named Odom, Edimiri and Ediabali during certain era in the history of places known today as southeastern Nigeria. I guess each day brings changes. I wondered how Amaodom, Amaedimiri and Amaediabli would be changed by these denial artists. 

Please forgive me digression on Andoni topic.

3 Likes

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 07, 2013
ChinenyeN: I'm not sure I understand. You asked me how/why I commented that the name "Andoni" is stated to be a corruption of what the Ijo called the Obolo, and I presented you with a section from a book where the author essentially stated the same thing I stated. So, if this doesn't answer your question, then I'm not sure I understand what your question even is, though I would very much like to understand, so that I could answer accordingly.

OBOLO people or language belong to the family OBULOM of which ABULOMA, DEGEMA, BUKUMA and ALL THE WAY TO OGONOKOM in ABUA is. The Degema people still speak a pure form of OBULOM. The Obulom people however are themselves a branch of the Engenni .The Engenni branched to form the EPIE ATTISA group who are the Yenagoa, Ogbia Ijaws. Upper Engenni are the MBIAMA, BISENI /JOINKRAMA and Akinnima . The Obulom that became Andoni intermarried with the DEFAKA IJAWS and their mixture with Efik and NDOKI people along with some AROCHUKWU people brought by the Koro ame Ijaws became the ANDONI of today. They were originally called the IDONI people by the KALABARI / OKOLOMA IJAWS.

2 Likes

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 07, 2013
ChinenyeN:
I see. My choice of words is the problem. Well, when I said "corrupted to", it is the same thing as saying "derived from" or "modernized to" or "anglicized to". "Corruption" is not meant to connote anything negative. It's just a linguistic expression for when spelling or pronunciation changes occur in or between languages.

Andoni might be the corrupt form cos some Andoni people who migrated to Kalabari territory maintained the name and their town is called IDO sharing boundary with Buguma and the people are IDONI people. They now speak clear KALABARI. IDONI na BO meaning IDONI person refers to ANDONI people.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Feb 07, 2013
Dede1: It is funny to watch the extent people tend to give Ijo relevance. Ijo is not an ethnic but a derivative from Jos, a Portuguese term for people of the river. Andoni is more of Igbo and Ibibio or Annang than so-called Ijo. Obolo is more of Igbo than Ibibio. Furthermore, Ubani is anglicized as Bonny while denial artists called it Ibani.

Sometimes I marveled at the determined efforts to twist historical facts while at the same time display ignorance. I have seen Ama + Ikiri = Amakiri becomes Amachere. Also, Azumiri turns to Asimiri and Ama Onye anabo turns to Amayengbo. There were men named Odom, Edimiri and Ediabali during certain era in the history of places known today as southeastern Nigeria. I guess each day brings changes. I wondered how Amaodom, Amaedimiri and Amaediabli would be changed by these denial artists. 

Please forgive me digression on Andoni topic.

There was never a town called Bonny or IBANI or UBANI. There were towns like OKOLOMA and FINIMA . FINIMA and TOMBIA now in KALABARI broke away from a settlement called NYAKPO which is not too far from the OKOLOMA site today. The WORD IBANI how ever might be the original name of the IJAWS of the east and their dialect giving that the dialect of the OKOLOMA and FINIMA which is called IBANI is exactly the same dialect spoken by the KALABARI and BILLE people. Besides ,IBANI is still a proper name in Kalabari. IBANIBO meaning IBANI PERSON is a house hold name in KALABARI. The history is crystal clear cos KALABARI as a name was not even the original name of the people. KALABARI is the name of the children of Perebo KALABARI . Before the birth of PEREBO KALABARI there were the IJAW towns of KE, Minama, KULA, Tombia, Finima, Abissa, Soku. Some how after the making of KING AMAKIRI at a town called ELEM AMA , king AMAKIRI being the leader of a section of the community called ENDE-AME who were the children of Perebo KALABARI decided to call his kingdom KALABARI and when the other Ijaw towns came under his control they all adopted the name KALABARI and hence KALABARI people speaking KALABARI. The name IBANI was maintained when PEREKULE assumed leadership in OKOLOMA and annexed FINIMA and ther other neighbouring Ijaw clans and so the Europeans called them BONNY instead of IBANI people.

1 Like

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ijawcitizen(m): 6:48pm On Feb 09, 2013
Dede1: It is funny to watch the extent people tend to give Ijo relevance. Ijo is not an ethnic but a derivative from Jos, a Portuguese term for people of the river.
AS ALWAYS THE FOOL FLAUNT HIS IGNORANCE WITH PRIDE. TAKE IT THE OTHER WAY- THAT JOS IS THE PORTUGESE DERIVATIVE OF IJO
Dede1: Andoni is more of Igbo and Ibibio or Annang than so-called Ijo. Obolo is more of Igbo than Ibibio.

IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER IF THE LANGUAGE IS 100% IGBO, WHAT MATTERS IS THAT THEY HAD THEIR ANCESTRY FROM IJAW (THATS WHY IGBOS CAN'T CLAIM IKWERRE, AHOADA ETC). THE TONE OF THE LANGUAGE SOUNDS LIKE IJAW WITH LOTS OF FOREIGN WORDS. ITS JUST LIKE THE APOI IJAWS OF ONDO STATE WHO NOW SPEAK A YORUBOID LANGUAGE THATS NOT REALLY INTELLIGIBLE WITH MAINSTREAM YORUBA, BUT STILL PRACTICE IJAW CULTURE & STILL HOLD ON TO THEIR IJAW HISTORY AND ANCESTRY. SO I'LL TELL YOU THIS ONCE WHETHER YOU ACCEPT IT OR NOT- ANDONNI/EASTERN OBOLO/IBENO PEOPLE ARE IJAWS!!!!
Dede1: Furthermore, Ubani is anglicized as Bonny while denial artists called it Ibani.
HERE THEY COME AGAIN....ITS REALLY FUNNY HOW THIS IGBO IGNORANCE WOULD BE CURED IN ONE THREAD JUST TO RESURFACE IN ANOTHER.......
(1) THERE WAS NEVER A TIME BONNY PEOPLE CALLED THEMSELVES "UBANI PEOPLE"......ITS EITHER OKOLOAMA OR IBANI WITH REFFERENCE TO THEIR IJAW ANCESTOR- KALA BENI.......UBANI CAME UP AS THE IGBO WAY OF PRONOUNCING IBANI....GO AND ASK NDOKI PEOPLE

Dede1: Sometimes I marveled at the determined efforts to twist historical facts while at the same time display ignorance. I have seen Ama + Ikiri = Amakiri becomes Amachere. Also, Azumiri turns to Asimiri and Ama Onye anabo turns to Amayengbo. There were men named Odom, Edimiri and Ediabali during certain era in the history of places known today as southeastern Nigeria. I guess each day brings changes. I wondered how Amaodom, Amaedimiri and Amaediabli would be changed by these denial artists.
LOLZ....AMAKIRI IS A PROPER IJAW NAME THAT HAS NO RELATIONSHIP WHATSOEVER WITH IGBO. AMACHREE IS JUST THE WAY THE BRITTONS SPELT THE NAME FROM THEIR PRONOUNCIATION. I DON'T NEED TO REMIND YOU OF A MILLION OTHER WORDS THE BRITTISH PEOPLE ANGLICIZED. PLS TELL ME WHAT "AMA IKIRI" MEANS IN IGBO & I'LL TELL YOU WHAT "AMAKIRI" MEANS IN IJAW.

AS FOR THESE OTHER NAMES YOU MENTIONED, I SWEAR THEY'VE NEVER EXISTED IN IJAWLAND EXCEPT MAYBE FOR "ODUM" WHICH I KNOW IS ABSOLUTELY AN IJAW NAME

JUST IMAGINE AN OUTSIDER TWISTING OUR HISTORY IN THEIR TWISTED EMPERIALISTISTIC/EXPANSIONIST BRAINS ACCUSING US OF TWISTING OUR HISTORY
Dede1: Please forgive me digression on Andoni topic.
BRING IT UP ANYWHERE, EVEN IN HAUSA SECTION, WE'LL ALWAYS BE THERE TO CONFRONT YOU

1 Like

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by ijawcitizen(m): 12:35pm On Feb 10, 2013
Dede1: Sometimes I marveled at the determined
efforts to twist historical facts while at the same time
display ignorance.
I GUESS YOU WERE LOOKING AT YOURSELF ON THE MIRROR WHEN YOU MADE THIS STATEMENT

Dede1: I have seen Ama + Ikiri = Amakiri
becomes Amachere.

AS I POINTED OUT EARLIER, THE IJAW "AMAKIRI" ISN'T THE SAME AS IGBO "AMA IKIRI"
Dede1: Also, Azumiri turns to Asimiri
FOR GOD'S SAKE THERE ARE NO NAMES AS "AZUMIRI" OR "ASIMIRI" IN IJAWLAND, I KNOW OF ASIMINI DAPPA PEPPLE AND NEITHER HE NOR HIS ANCESTORS WERE IGBOS. HE IS A DECENDANT OF KING PEREKULE THE GREAT- AND PEREKULE IS IJAW
Dede1: .....and
Ama Onye anabo turns to Amayengbo.
LOLZ.....AMA ONYE ANABO WHAT DOES IT EVEN MEAN? .......AMAYENGBO?I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT MEANS.....SERIOUSLY, I DON'T EVEN THINK THIS GUY IS REFERING TO THE IJAW ROYAL TITLE OF AMANYANABO...COS TO DO THAT MEANS GIVING SOME SENSE TO HIS NON$ENSE
Dede1: There were men
named Odom, Edimiri and Ediabali during certain era in
the history of places known today as southeastern
Nigeria. I guess each day brings changes. I wondered
how Amaodom, Amaedimiri and Amaediabli would be
changed by these denial artists
EVEN THE DEVIL IS SCARED OF SPITTING OUT THIS KINDA LIES....NON OF THESE IGBO NAMES EXISTED IN IJAWLAND....WELL, I WILL JUST TAKE WHAT HE SAID ......"during certain era in the history of places known TODAY as south eastern nigeria"....SO HE IS PROBABLY TAKING ABOUT THE HISTORY OF PLACE IN IGBOLAND

HAVING EXPOSED THE PATTERN OF THESE IGBO LIES WHICH IS ....ANY IJAW NAME THAT SOUND EVEN A LITTLE LIKE IGBO MUST MUST HAVE IGBO ORIGIN.....ELSE EFFORTS MUST BE MADE TO GIVE IT AN IGBO ORIGIN TO SATISFY THEIR EXPANSIONIST/EMPERIALIST/SUPREMACIST AGENDA

NOW THE WHOLE WORLD CAN SEE THAT THIS PURE IGBO OBSESSION ON IJAWLAND.....AND AS ALWAYS THEIR NEXT LINE OF ACTION/RESPONSE WOULD BE "WHY WOULD IGBOS BE ENVIOUS OF KAI-KAI DRINKING LAZY IJAW DRUNKARDS AND THIER MARSHY NON FERTILE LAND"......LOLZ...I'M CRACKING MY RIBS WITH LAUGHTER
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by Oboloboy(m): 10:17pm On Feb 11, 2013
Hi, Am matt and I represent NGO TOWN.

1 Like

Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by Oboloboy(m): 10:22pm On Feb 11, 2013
Hi,Am matt and I represent NGO TOWN.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by coYah(m): 12:40am On Feb 12, 2013
Could some one explain what the name Idoni (or Andoni) means? I am interested in knowing.
Re: Andoni Forum (anyone)? by pazienza(m): 6:14am On Feb 12, 2013
I am usually sensitive to multiple account users,i can't believe just how i never connected this ijaw citizen character to alj harem? Chai!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aliko Dangote Started Out Like An Igbo Man / Can Someone Translate Me A Few Igbo Sentenses Into Englisch? / Pre-colonial Homosexuality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.