Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

Bayelsa Tops Nigeria’s Unemployment Chart - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa Tops Nigeria’s Unemployment Chart (7824 Views)

Nigeria Unemployment Rate Surges To 9.9 Percent / A Pie Chart Showing The Pattern Of Buhari's Appointments / Lagos Tops Nigeria's Most Indepted States (see Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bayelsa Tops Nigeria’s Unemployment Chart by PhysicsMHD(m): 2:20pm On Feb 13, 2011
eku_bear:

Well, certainly being dead-last despite being a major oil-producing state is more compelling from a news perspective than under-performing.  Though ultimately it doesn't seem to make much sense to use media coverage of the survey itself to then judge how valid the survey is, right?

True.

And just as plausible that any systematic errors in fact understate unemployment.

Well I wasn't suggesting error, but fabrication.

From what i understand, one of the better farming states in the nation.

Ok. That would explain it, then. Successful/widespread farming combined with low population would result in that kind of statistic.

An interesting hypothesis. Sorta wonder why "they" would do it in such a way to make the VPs state look terrible, though.

Well, common knowledge amongst southerners or Nigerians in general that Bayelsa was doing terribly in terms of development would make it easier for the public to believe such statistics were valid if Bayelsa was put in that position, while serving the purpose of making the list more balanced (as it is now) between North and South. It might sound conspiracy theory-like, but I'm really just suspicious of all these relatively lower to medium unemployment rates for states with relatively abysmal GDP stats.
Re: Bayelsa Tops Nigeria’s Unemployment Chart by ekubear1: 8:27pm On Feb 13, 2011
^---- Underemployment might be the issue, perhaps? Maybe the raw employment rate in say State X is very low, but the # of hours worked, or $/hour isn't as much as say some southern state with a higher unemployment rate.

I vaguely remember reading something about this (underemployment, that is) in a report by some international agency regarding Nigeria. Don't have the reference handy atm though.
Re: Bayelsa Tops Nigeria’s Unemployment Chart by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:24pm On Feb 14, 2011
Underemployment is a possibility, I guess.

I don't know what the situation on the ground is and don't know too much about all the states, but the stats still seem kind of fake to me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Apc’s Failings Will Boost PDP Victory In 2019 – Onuesoke / Tinubu Not Mounting Any Pressure On Me Over My Cabinet –sanwo-olu / EFCC To Arraign Akpobolokemi And Emmanuel Atewe For N8.5bn NIMASA Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.