Stats: 3,148,890 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King (17715 Views)

Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Evander Holyfield Visits Badagry To Trace His Roots / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by henry101(m): 8:17am On Feb 12, 2011
FACE:

Although he is not Igbo, his name was likely inherited from Igbo slaves that were in Sierra Leone.

Schon was a German missionary who learnt a variation of Igbo (Isuama ) in Sierra but was soon disappointed when he got to Igbo land because that variation was not readily understood as it was highly adulterated.

Ajayi Crowther was next and he also learnt Igbo in Sierra Leone and actually went with Sierra Leonan Igbo men (Simon Jonas and Taylor) on the second expedition and they acted as interpreters. I can't recall now but I think Taylor was later ordained to remain in Onicha. Although the Isuama Igbo was not widely understood they still based their first publication of bible texts in Igbo on the dialect.  

My point is that his name "Obi" has the roots in Igbo land, but Igbo language and culture in Sierra Leone was not carried forward.

This is about John Christopher Taylor.

http://www.dacb.org/stories/nigeria/taylor_jc3.html

This is about Simon Jonas and Augustus Radoillo

http://gospelanglicanchurch.org/bishopcharge.html

Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by henry101(m): 8:17am On Feb 12, 2011
FACE:

Although he is not Igbo, his name was likely inherited from Igbo slaves that were in Sierra Leone.

Schon was a German missionary who learnt a variation of Igbo (Isuama ) in Sierra but was soon disappointed when he got to Igbo land because that variation was not readily understood as it was highly adulterated.

Ajayi Crowther was next and he also learnt Igbo in Sierra Leone and actually went with Sierra Leonan Igbo men (Simon Jonas and Taylor) on the second expedition and they acted as interpreters. I can't recall now but I think Taylor was later ordained to remain in Onicha. Although the Isuama Igbo was not widely understood they still based their first publication of bible texts in Igbo on the dialect.  

My point is that his name "Obi" has the roots in Igbo land, but Igbo language and culture in Sierra Leone was not carried forward.

This is about John Christopher Taylor.

http://www.dacb.org/stories/nigeria/taylor_jc3.html

This is about Simon Jonas and Augustus Radoillo

http://gospelanglicanchurch.org/bishopcharge.html
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 11:31am On Feb 12, 2011
ezeagu:

Kanu is a very common name in Sierra Leone as well. (Looks at EzeUche_) grin

Igbo descendants have been president twice in Sierra Leone. Irony.

Christopher [b]Okoro Cole
Yahya Kanu[/b]

Yeparipaaaa ohhh  grin cheesy
una wont kill me for hia grin grin

Okoro and Kanu are NOT Igbo .
Kanu is from Temne/Susu/Mandinka tribe, they have nothing in common with igbos.

Pa Chris's last name is Cole.

One of my uncles has 'Ojukwu' as his middle name and yet still we have no ties to igbos.

Una too dey claim sef.  undecided
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 12:44pm On Feb 12, 2011
^^, Ofcourse, kanu and okoro are Igbo. What do they mean in those sierra leonian languages? That could help reveal their origin.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 12, 2011
One of my uncles has 'Ojukwu' as his middle name and yet still we have no ties to igbos.

rofl!!!!!!!

so you're igbo then.

take your hanshake.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 5:13pm On Feb 12, 2011
mukina2:

Yeparipaaaa ohhh  grin cheesy

Una too dey claim sef.  undecided

No offence, but you're confused.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 5:42pm On Feb 12, 2011
kanu is a name shared by alot of people from different countries

Colonel Yahya Kanu, an ethnic Temne;

Temne people with the name kanu
Alhaji Andrew Kanu
Ahmed Kanu,
Colonel Yahya Kanu

mukina2:

Yeparipaaaa ohhh grin cheesy

Una too dey claim sef. undecided

igbo gal nice one sef i kno kanu is not only an ibo name cause ive met different people with the name kanu but from different countries as for okoro ojukwu girlllll you igbo well atleasst you uncle is haha how does it feel.

I personally only highlighted the yorubanames cause there aint no confusion there people in Ogun and Lagos state will tell anyone that their ancestors were egba slaves from who came from freetown at the end of slavery
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 6:04pm On Feb 12, 2011
excanny:

^^,  Ofcourse, kanu and okoro are Igbo. What do they mean in those sierra leonian languages? That could help reveal their origin.

It would be the Creole people with Kanu that would be the Igbo descendants.

Someone with an Igbo name has only been president once then.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 6:21pm On Feb 12, 2011
ezeagu:

It would be the Creole people with Kanu that would be the Igbo descendants.

Someone with an Igbo name has only been president once then.

That is if both words mean the same things in both languages or the creoles do not know their meaning. Then, those bearing such names are possibly descendants of Igbo slaves(though some might just like the names and bear them)
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 6:23pm On Feb 12, 2011
damn michelin89 got some sexxyyy legs tho- id smash stamp that
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by sbeezy8: 6:28pm On Feb 12, 2011
she GOOD from the like the waiste down kiss
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by henry101(m): 6:58pm On Feb 12, 2011
ezeagu:

Kanu is a very common name in Sierra Leone as well. (Looks at EzeUche_) grin

Igbo descendants have been president twice in Sierra Leone. Irony.

Christopher Okoro Cole
Yahya Kanu

Why would you visit 'random' people? Oh creoles (Sierra Leone, Liberia, Caribbean, US)! No longer need for any bitterness!

@ bolded,
Also in Liberia too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_James_Roye

sbeezy8:

Alhaji Andrew Kanu
Ahmed Kanu,
Colonel Yahya Kanu

igbo gal nice one sef i kno kanu is not only an ibo name cause ive met different people with the name kanu but from different countries as for okoro ojukwu girlllll you igbo well atleasst you uncle is haha how does it feel.

I personally only highlighted the yorubanames cause there aint no confusion there people in Ogun and Lagos state will tell anyone that their ancestors were egba slaves from who came from freetown at the end of slavery

I dnt know any other country in Africa that shares the name KANU except Nigeria, sierra leone and Liberia.
Can you list any other country?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by udezue(m): 12:27am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2:

not true!!!

You can go and have that argument with him. He is in MD. You want his number? Silly
The man is well over 57 years old so what makes you think you know more than him child?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 12:37am On Feb 13, 2011
tpiah!:

rofl!!!!!!!

so you're igbo then.

take your hanshake.

sbeezy8:

Alhaji Andrew Kanu
Ahmed Kanu,
Colonel Yahya Kanu

grin grin grin grin grin grin

I just do not like the way they are claiming people right and left grin

excanny:

That is if both words mean the same things in both languages or the creoles do not know their meaning. Then, those bearing such names are possibly descendants of Igbo slaves(though some might just like the names and bear them)
Creoles do not bear the kanu surname.

Creole surnames are mostly English names/sherbro names. Creoles/oku are more related to Yoruba, the Oku language has many words/phrases similar to yoruba,that i have read/seen here on NL. Most creoles/oku bear yoruba names/

Surnames like :-
Johnson
Cole
Thomas
Roberts
Davies
Taylor
Williams
Wilson
baker
Walker and so on

udezue:

You can go and have that argument with him. He is in MD. You want his number? Silly
The man is well over 57 years old so what makes you think you know more than him child?
child please
anyone can claim anything. I have never heard of or seen any igbo tribe in Freetown or anything similar, When Nigerian igbo marries that's different from having a tribe there.
The only tribe known for light skinned people in Freetown are the fulas/kono.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by udezue(m): 12:54am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2:

Creole surnames are mostly English names/sherbro names. Creoles/oku are more related to Yoruba, the Oku language has many words/phrases similar to yoruba,that i have read/seen here on NL. Most creoles/oku bear yoruba names/

Johnson
Cole
Thomas
Roberts
Davies
Taylor
Williams
Wilson
baker
Walker and so on
child please
anyone can claim anything. I have never heard of or seen any igbo tribe in Freetown or anything similar, When Nigerian igbo marries that's different from having a tribe there.

I have also not seen a Yoruba Brazilian but they do exist so go look around.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 1:02am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2:

Johnson
Cole
Thomas
Roberts
Davies
Taylor
Williams
Wilson
baker
Walker and so on
child please

What is Oku? You mean Krio? And what does Baker mean in Yoruba? Trying to tell me Okoro and Ojukwu are not Igbo, what is this?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by Abagworo(m): 1:19am On Feb 13, 2011
ezeagu:

What is Oku? You mean Krio? And what does Baker mean in Yoruba? Trying to tell me Okoro and Ojukwu are not Igbo, what is this?

My brother I wonder why people are trying to wish away their Igbo roots even when pre-colonial unbiased reports state the obvious.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3103/is_n2_v67/ai_n28694953/pg_3/

It is no surprise since even Igbos here in Nigeria speaking Igbo language and bearing Igbo names have started calling their dialects distinct languages and have even distorted obvious history.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 1:22am On Feb 13, 2011
ezeagu:

What is Oku? You mean Krio? Okoro and Ojukwu are not Igbo, what is this?

where did i say Ojukwu is not Igbo?
I said one of my uncles have Ojukwu as his middle name but we do not have any ties to igbos.

Oku is not Krio, its the language being spoken by the people of  Fourah Bay/foulah tong/Aberdeen.
Read this post https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-603183.0.html#msg7712800

And what does Baker mean in Yoruba?

This flew over your head right?
mukina2:

Creole surnames are mostly English names/sherbro names.

Johnson
Cole
Thomas
Roberts
Davies
Taylor
Williams
Wilson
baker
Walker and so on

and erm do not drag me into your tribal wars. i am simply not interested wink
You people should stop  claiming everything with Similar Igbo names.
and there is nothing like igbo tribe in freetown cheesy
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by excanny: 1:23am On Feb 13, 2011
I'm even more concerned about the kanu and okoro names. Will like to know what they mean in, , is it mandinka?

I thought you are all called creoles. My bad!
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 1:35am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2:

I said one of my uncles have Ojukwu as his middle name but we do not have any ties to igbos.

Oku is not Krio, its the language being spoken by the people of  Fourah Bay/foulah tong/Aberdeen.

Speak for yourself, there's no one dragging you into anything, it's actually you writing ignorance. There are Sierra Leonean Creole of Igbo descent that will tell you so. Even that's an understatement because of the Igbo unions there in the 1800s. The Obi guy hinted that he would visit 'one day' after saying he is not of Nigerian descent ( ).
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 1:57am On Feb 13, 2011
I didnt say there are no creoles of igbo descendant, all i said is that there is nothing like igbo tribe in Freetown and i said  that creoles are more related to Yorubas.
na by force to have igbo tribe everywhere?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by henry101(m): 2:15am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2:

You have no ties with Igbos but your uncle have an Igbo middle surname.

You are contradicting yourself.
Nobody is trying to claim anybody but It's obvious that your uncle have an Igbo ancestry.
The Yoruba had a high number of Creoles that returned to Freetown though.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 2:18am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2:

I didnt say there are no creoles of igbo descendant, all i said is that there is nothing like igbo tribe in Freetown and i said  that creoles are more related to Yorubas.
na by force to have igbo tribe everywhere?

Was there a time I said there was an "Igbo tribe" in Freetown? Isn't you that went on to call the Krio "Oku"?
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 2:22am On Feb 13, 2011
henry101:

You have no ties with Igbos but your uncle have an Igbo middle surname.

You are contradicting yourself.
Nobody is trying to claim anybody but It's obvious that your uncle have an Igbo ancestry.
The Yoruba had a high number of Creoles that returned to Freetown though.

did it occur to you that parents name their kids after friend/heroes/villains/stars and so on?
smh

ezeagu:

Was there a time I said there was an "Igbo tribe" in Freetown? Isn't you that went on to call the Krio "Oku"?

rectifiedsorry
i was only replying this post on the igbo tribe thing in freetown grin
udezue:

Silly dudes, they are just decendants of Igbos and Yoruba slaves.

My aunt by marriage is Efik-Ibibio from Sierra Leone and one of her relatives is an Igbo man from Awka (Oka) but he is also from Sierra Leone. I was shocked when he told us "I am from your native town Awka and we are Igbos of Sierra Leone." According to him the Igbos of Sierra Leone don't really intermarry so much with other ethnic groups and they are "usually the light-skin ones" tho he was actually dark in complexion.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 2:25am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2:

did it occur to you that parents name their kids after friend/heroes/villains/stars and so on?
smh

where you not the one that posted this :- 

Was I? You tell me.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by mukina2: 2:27am On Feb 13, 2011
sorry i already rectified it.

udezue  posted it, my post for no igbo tribe in Freetown  was directed at his post.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by ezeagu(m): 2:30am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2:

sorry i already rectified it.

udezue  posted it, my post for no igbo tribe in Freetown  was directed at his post.

No problem, aunty.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by henry101(m): 2:40am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2:

did it occur to you t[b]hat parents name their kids after friend/heroes/villains/stars and so on? [/b]
smh

rectifiedsorry
i was only replying this post on the igbo tribe thing in freetown grin
I know but not to the extent of having a handful of people in freetown with Igbo names because of the reason You gave.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by henry101(m): 3:06am On Feb 13, 2011
Names like Ogbonna, Agwu, Uzor and Chima are still mostly used in freetown.
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by Obiagu1(m): 4:18am On Feb 13, 2011
mukina2:

smh

It seems like Creoles (Krios) like to "name their kids after friends/heroes/villains/stars"  of Igbo and Yoruba descent. Interesting.
The 2 tribes most be very interenting to them.

Maybe they should "name their kids after friends/heroes/villains/stars" of other African descents like Mobutu, Mandela, etc
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by fstranger3(m): 6:02am On Feb 13, 2011
Obiagu1:

It seems like Creoles (Krios) like to "name their kids after friends/heroes/villains/stars"  of Igbo and Yoruba descent. Interesting.
The 2 tribes most be very interenting to them.

Maybe they should "name their kids after friends/heroes/villains/stars" of other African descents like Mobutu, Mandela, etc

DOnt ever speak for us again in your NL life
We Yorubas dont claim people

We are happy as we are.

Now, if, like you and your brothers have been doing on this thread,you wanna claim Mukina and every Salone alive, please go ahead, but please do not bring Yoruba into your nonsensical claimoppola
Re: We Have No Roots In Nigeria- Obi Metzeger, Ayo King by Obiagu1(m): 6:45am On Feb 13, 2011
^^^

It won't be long you'll end up in a psychiatric hospital.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Is Your New Year Resolution? / Most Beautiful Girls In Nigeria, The Fulanis (fulbe) Or The Igbos? / Oba Babatunde Ajayi Installed As Akarigbo Of Remo Land (Live Pictures)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82