Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,345 members, 7,808,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt (10399 Views)

Buhari Returns To Nigeria,to Embark On Three-nation Tour Of Egypt, Saudi Arabia / Now That The Gworo Master Has Decided To Wade Into The Syrian War / Channels TV Addresses Dame Patient As President Of Nigeria [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by silami(m): 5:05pm On Feb 11, 2011
Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down as president of Egypt.

In an announcement on state TV, Vice-President Omar Suleiman said Mr Mubarak had handed power to the military.

It came as thousands massed in Cairo and other Egyptian cities for an 18th day of protest to demand Mr Mubarak's resignation.

Protesters responded by cheering, waving flags, embracing and sounding car horns. "The people have brought down the regime," they chanted.

Mr Suleiman said Mr Mubarak had handed power to the high command of the armed forces.

"In the name of God the merciful, the compassionate, citizens, during these very difficult circumstances Egypt is going through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down from the office of president of the republic and has charged the high council of the armed forces to administer the affairs of the country," he said.

"May God help everybody."

Mr Mubarak has already left Cairo and is in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh where he has a residence, officials say.

In Cairo, thousands of people are gathered outside the presidential palace, in Tahrir Square and at state TV.

They came out in anger following an address by Mr Mubarak on Thursday. He had been expected to announce his resignation but instead stopped short of stepping down, transferring most powers to Mr Suleiman.

The BBC's Jon Leyne in Cairo said the announcement caught everyone by surprise, and all over the city drivers honked their horns and people fired guns into the air.

But the army takeover looks very much like a military coup, our correspondent adds.

The constitution has been breached, he says, because officially it should be the speaker of parliament who takes over, not the army leadership.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12433045

Live on CNN
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Pukkah: 5:06pm On Feb 11, 2011
This is a classic example of power to the people. Anyway, I hope there would not be another twist to the step-down plan.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by silami(m): 5:08pm On Feb 11, 2011
He handed power to the military council
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by jaybee3(m): 5:10pm On Feb 11, 2011
wow wow wow
What changed barely into <24hrs?
The military probably threatened him
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by donjon: 5:12pm On Feb 11, 2011
When?
*rushes off to cnn*
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by yiboboy: 5:14pm On Feb 11, 2011
Kudos 2 the Egyptians that fought for this, but what's next? Make the situation nor become from frying pan 2 fire oooh!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Sagamite(m): 5:14pm On Feb 11, 2011
The effing bastard wanted to hold on to power at all cost.

After 30 years, the pig thinks he is the only one capable or eligible to rule?

They should go further and push him out of the country or try him for human rights abuse/corruption.

Utter arsehole!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by EzeUche2(m): 5:14pm On Feb 11, 2011
This is very nice!

Let us congratulate our Egyptian brothers!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Hakim27: 5:18pm On Feb 11, 2011
military coup! grin
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by silami(m): 5:20pm On Feb 11, 2011
This tells us that change is possible without taking up arms. Human resilience is more powerful than weapons when it comes to change. MEND, Boko haram, MOSSOB and ODUA take note.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by donjon: 5:21pm On Feb 11, 2011
@yiboboy,

d muslim brotherhood is watz next!
I hope egypt doesnt turn into d nxt iran!

But a breath of fresh air is always welcomed!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by EzeUche2(m): 5:21pm On Feb 11, 2011
Hakim27:

military coup! grin

You may be right about this issue.  shocked
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by DrKnow1(m): 5:22pm On Feb 11, 2011
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by yiboboy: 5:23pm On Feb 11, 2011
donjon:

@yiboboy,

My brother, I nor wan make them term me pessimist na hin nor make me put that name b4. On a more serious note, Isreal is going 2 need more than software virus to deal with that particular issue. lipsrsealed
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Kobojunkie: 5:24pm On Feb 11, 2011
What Country is next? Libya? Algeria? Morocco? Syria? Jordan? . . . .
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by EzeUche2(m): 5:25pm On Feb 11, 2011
Israel take note, Egypt is a far greater threat to their existence than Iran, Syria, Hamas or Hezbollah.

However, I am happy for the Egyptian people. This is the power of the people.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Nobody: 5:26pm On Feb 11, 2011
i do think they should have let him resign in sept like he said. undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by pingpong1: 5:26pm On Feb 11, 2011
@kobo - Nigeria
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by buzugee(m): 5:27pm On Feb 11, 2011
who cares. all these egyptian arabs are invaders from the middle east to africa. they can all fly to the moon for all i care
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Kobojunkie: 5:28pm On Feb 11, 2011
ping pong:

@kobo - Nigeria
Dream on  . . . NOTICE how I avoided mentioned most all of  black Africa?? ROFLMAO!!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by eesaah(m): 5:29pm On Feb 11, 2011
Congratulation to Egyptian!!!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by silami(m): 5:29pm On Feb 11, 2011
donjon:

@yiboboy,

I think they said they are not interested in taking over and according to the reports they are just 20% so they cannot just take over in free and fair election.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by EzeUche2(m): 5:30pm On Feb 11, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Dream on  . . . NOTICE how I avoided mentioned most all of  black Africa?? ROFLMAO!!

No one has been talking about Gabon though. Is Gabon an exception to the rule?
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by yiboboy: 5:31pm On Feb 11, 2011
buzugee:

who cares. all these egyptian arabs are invaders from the middle east to africa. they can all fly to the moon for all i care

Start caring ooooh! If mismanged the political equation in middle east could errupt into something really nasty, ur neighbour's house is burning and u go 2 sleep, hw long b4 the fire comes knocking on ur door?
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by pingpong1: 5:32pm On Feb 11, 2011
@kobo - seriously we can. The Egyptians yearned for this for 30years and in just 18 days the got it. We can if we want
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Feb 11, 2011
ping pong:

@kobo - seriously we can. The Egyptians yearned for this for 30years and in just 18 days the got it. We can if we want 

I didn't ask what countries CAN . . . I mean even North Korea CAN. I said who are those likely to be NEXT, and Yes, I believe being skeptical of the Black African States is reasonable.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by EzeUche2(m): 5:34pm On Feb 11, 2011
Rise up o compatriots! Let us leave tribalism alone and hope for a better nation.

Let us not forget the tiny little nation that started this, Tunisia!
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by yiboboy: 5:35pm On Feb 11, 2011
ping pong:

Are Bayelsans supposed 2 be part of those that'll demonstrate @ Abuja? I think we should ask Beaf for the answer? grin cheesy
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by buzugee(m): 5:35pm On Feb 11, 2011
yiboboy:

Start caring ooooh! If mismanged the political equation in middle east could errupt into something really nasty, your neighbour's house is burning and u go 2 sleep, hw long b4 the fire comes knocking on your door?
we have too many buffer in nigeria. like how america is a buffer to canada from invading illegals in mexico. we have lots of buffer countries to absorb the impact and even if it reaches naija, na the northside e go affect. those of us on the southside will still be eating lobster and drinking moet  grin
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 11, 2011
i hope this isnt the end of world peace.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by EzeUche2(m): 5:38pm On Feb 11, 2011
Celebrate people! Africans need to take note.
Re: Mubarak Has Decided To Step Down As President Of Egypt by yiboboy: 5:39pm On Feb 11, 2011
buzugee:

we have too many buffer in nigeria. like how america is a buffer to canada from invading illegals in mexico. we have lots of buffer countries to absorb the impact and even if it reaches naija, na the northside e go affect. those of us on the southside will still be eating lobster and drinking moet  grin

I really wish I could share ur optimism, I like moet wella so maybe we'll drink 2gether. . .  still, if the wrong set of guys ascend the throne of Egypt, omo mehn nukes fit begin fly in no distant time o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Refugee Welcomes Baby At Yola IDP Camp (Photos) / Nigeria At 56: Confusion In The Ranks - Daily Trust / FG Begins School Feeding Programme This Month – Prof Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.