Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,092 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east (4285 Views)

Jonathan Pledges 2 Million Jobs Annually If Re-Elected / Jonathan Pledges To Improve Nigeria’s Security Capabilities / Jonathan Pledges To Establish Airports In 36 States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by aljharem(m): 3:45am On Feb 12, 2011
By TONY EDIKE
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday, promised that the Federal Government would continue to provide infrastructures that would boost the economy of the South East geopolitical zone and improve the living condition of her people whom he described as the most enterprising in the country.
He declared the commitment of the government to tackle the problem of ransom kidnapping which he noted has seriously impeded economic activities in the zone, adding that the government would not tolerate any threat to peaceful coexistence of Nigerians anywhere in the country.
“One thing we will continue to promise you is unity of this country, equity and justice, transparent and good governance so that all Nigerians irrespective of the language you speak, irrespective of the part of Nigeria you come from, irrespective of your place of worship, you will have equal opportunity and you
will not be discriminated against, wherever you are and wherever you want to do business,” he said.
The president who addressed a mammoth crowd of supporters drawn from the five South East States of Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo during the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP rally to flag off campaign for the April general elections, also outlined a number of projects which his government had initiated to improve economic activities in the zone and the wellbeing of Ndigbo.
These, he said, included the release of N500 billion to enable  people get loan through the Bank of Industry for which N200 billion has already been accessed by Nigerian businessmen and women, explaining that the intervention was to eliminate the problems hitherto experienced by Nigerians in obtaining credit facilities from commercial banks.
He said that for the business to thrive there was need for steady power supply which informed the decision of the government to commit resources to power generation, adding that  this was why the government has decided to restore the old Coal Power Plant in Enugu.
“Already the contract for the survey has been done and we have awarded the contract and I believe that in three months or so the result will come out.  So all those who need power to do their businesses will have enough,” he said.
To further boost economic activities in the zone, the president said that the government had to approve the upgrading of the Enugu Airport to and International Airport “so that the people of the zone will no longer go to Lagos before doing their business”, adding that arrangement had been concluded for the construction of the second Niger Bridge before the end of next year.
On the problem of gully erosion ravaging some communities in the South East, Jonathan said he had held several meetings with governors of the zone with a view to finding lasting solution to the problem, disclosing that about 15 contracts had so far been awarded at a cost of about N11.5 billion as part of efforts to check the menace.
On the entertainment industry, the president commended the invaluable roles being played by the people of South East in Nollywood and home movies industry saying 80 percent of Nigerian actors, actresses, producers and marketers are from the zone.  He assured that the federal government would soon provide a lifeline to enable the people in that sector have access to funds to develop the industry.
“In our entertainment industry, if you look at the actors in the Nollywood  almost 80 percent are from the South East including actors and actresses, producers and directors.  Home video is one of our major industries. If you go outside the country people appreciate our actors and actresses.  That is why the government is committed to help that industry by making money available for people in that sector who have the entrepreneurial skill have access to funds,” the president said.
Jonathan who was accompanied by his wife, Dame Patience, Vice President Namadi Sambo and leaders of PDP, however, thanked Ndigbo for their support to his government and his re-election bid, assuring that he would continue to ensure that the interest of the zone was protected.
While welcoming the president and his entourage to the rally held at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium, Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu State said the people of the South East were strongly committed towards the return of the president.   He said that the president was in Enugu to confer with his people and not to campaign as the massive turn out was an indication that he enjoys tremendous support of Ndigbo. Also speaking, Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State informed the president of his adoption by the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA  for the presidency, saying the party would not contest the presidential election as the leadership has resolved to support a man who would ensure that Ndigbo have a sense of belonging in the country.  He urged all Igbos to support Jonathan in the forthcoming election.
Highlight of the rally was the presentation of flags to the four South East PDP governors by the Acting National Chairman, Dr. Haliru Bello with a charge to them to lead the campaigns of the party in their respective states to ensure victory of their candidates in the April elections.
Also present at the rally were Deputy Senate President, Chief Ike Ekweremadu who led members of the National Assembly from the zone, former Vice President, Dr. Alex Ekwueme,  Chief Tony Anenih, Dr. Ahmadu Ali, Chief Vincent Ogbulafor, Chief Ken Nnamani, Chief Olisa Metuh, PDP Vice Chairma, South East zone, among other chieftains of the party from the zone.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/jonathan-pledges-n500bn-to-boost-economy-of-s-east/
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by aljharem(m): 3:46am On Feb 12, 2011
all lies as usual

what about benin-ore road that has claim a lot of igbo, yoruba, edo lives
angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by jason123: 3:49am On Feb 12, 2011
. . . . . ad I would donate 50 trillion dollars . . .  .lair! Why did he not do it within his 1 yr stint. Why is it that it is after the election he want to donate the money?

Well, let the igbos decide.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Chyz2: 3:51am On Feb 12, 2011
jason123:

. . . . . ad I would donate 50 trillion dollars . . .  .lair! Why did he not do it within his 1 yr stint. Why is it that it is after the election he want to donate the money?

Well, let the igbos decide.

Gbam!

Don't mind that jackass, he will soon be rolling around in his own waste.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Kobojunkie: 3:52am On Feb 12, 2011
Is this before actually helping tackle corruption in the region or after? Also, is this ONLY if he is re-elected?
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by jason123: 3:54am On Feb 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[b]Is this before actually helping tackle corruption in the region or after? [/b]Also, is this ONLY if he is re-elected?

Valid point!
What is the point of the money if it is just going to the private accounts of some corrupt "elected" officials? AH!, Naija, I weep for you. cry
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by aljharem(m): 3:55am On Feb 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Is this before actually helping tackle corruption in the region or after? Also, is this ONLY if he is re-elected?

good one kobo

how are we sure the money will help the citizens

or

is it for the SE leaders angry
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by jason123: 4:01am On Feb 12, 2011
alj harem:

good one kobo

how are we sure the money will help the citizens

or

is it for the SE leaders angry

Alhaji, I know we have not been in good terms lately but let us reason here.
Even if it is for the SE leaders, the point is, why lie to them? Why lie to anyone? We can all say, "well, it does not affect me since it is not my region" but what about our people in the SE? If anyone suffers in any region, it also affects your own people. There are a lot of SS, Yoruba and Northers in the SE. How does this money change their lives positively?
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by babapupa: 4:02am On Feb 12, 2011
Ibo people don suffer , Se as the yeye man dey throw dem doggy bone,  lmao.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Obiagu1(m): 4:04am On Feb 12, 2011
A beg, make una leave GEJ to be.
Northerners have ruled us for years but no progress.
SW have tried for 8 yrs with little progress.
Let an Easterner try. Personally, I'm not a fan of GEJ but there seems to be something about him that I've failed to understand.
He's still an enigma to me. I'll only give him the benefit of the doubt.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Kobojunkie: 4:06am On Feb 12, 2011
jason123:

Even if it is for the SE leaders, the point is, why lie to them? Why lie to anyone? We can all say, "well, it does not affect me since it is not my region" but what about our people in the SE? If anyone suffers in any region, it also affects your own people. There are a lot of SS, Yoruba and Northers in the SE. How does this money change their lives positively?

Simple! Because South-Eastern politicians have positioned themselves as power-hungry, relevance seeking, sycophants, willing to sell the Ibo Nation without second thought, for a promise of power at the national level, or a chance to claim they have control of Aso-rock. At the same time, the very same continue to turn a blind eye to the obvious decay that still surrounds them and is the life of still many in the SE.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by sbeezy8: 4:08am On Feb 12, 2011
lol i used to like GEJ before but he is bloody liar

i dont doubt that the SE  will better under GEJ or any southern president even OBJ had PLENTY of igbo in his cabinet to the point people from the rest of the country were angry. but i dont think SE people felt the impact.

but lets elect GEJ as president because hes an ijaw lol

2011 small beans i just cant wait to see the face of igbo when namadi sambo is contestng for president after GEJ. its zoned to the north. everything in nigeria na north and south.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by aljharem(m): 4:10am On Feb 12, 2011
jason123:

we are cool cool

please ask oga jonathan grin grin wink
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by jason123: 4:11am On Feb 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

A beg, make una leave GEJ to be.
Northerners have ruled us for years but no progress.
SW have tried for 8 yrs with little progress.
Let an Easterner try. Personally, I'm not a fan of GEJ but there seems to be something about him that I've failed to understand.

He's still an enigma to me. I'll only give him the benefit of the doubt.

What do you mean by this statement? Are we now voting based on regional arrangments ( which GEJ himself jettisoned)?? A SWesterner or Northerner did NOT rule you. It is a bunch of politicians that have hijacked the zoning arrangement (including GEJ) that is ruling you not regions. This people are individuals, most of them are from the first republic. What has GEJ done to deserve this support you are giving him? Or is it because he is from your region (old east)?
Okay, after GEJ, what next? What have you gained?
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by jason123: 4:14am On Feb 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Simple! Because South-Eastern politicians have positioned themselves as power-hungry, relevance seeking, sycophants, willing to sell the Ibo Nation without second thought, for a promise of power at the national level, or a chance to claim they have control of Aso-rock. At the same time, the very same continue to turn a blind eye to the obvious decay that still surrounds them and is the life of still many in the SE.

sad sad sad sad sad sad but that is the blunt honesty that is needed here. Eve in the SW, Tinubu doing his own.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by jason123: 4:15am On Feb 12, 2011
sbeezy8:

i dont doubt that the SE  will better under GEJ or any southern president even OBJ had PLENTY of igbo in his cabinet to the point people from the rest of the country were angry. but i dont think SE people felt the impact.

but lets elect GEJ as president because hes an ijaw lol .

That is the bone of contention!
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Obiagu1(m): 4:18am On Feb 12, 2011
jason123:

What do you mean by this statement? Are we now voting based on regional arrangments ( which GEJ himself jettisoned)?? A SWesterner or Northerner did NOT rule you. It is a bunch of politicians that have hijacked the zoning arrangement (including GEJ) that is ruling you not regions. This people are individuals, most of them are from the first republic. What has GEJ done to deserve this support you are giving him? Or is it because he is from your region (old east)?
Okay, after GEJ, what next? What have you gained?

First of all, among all the 3 frontrunners, I don't like Buhari. Ribadu has an Igbo VP but I don't support him, not at all.
It left me with only GEJ. I support rotational presidency which died since Jan, so I don't even think about it anymore. It's now an open field for everyone to try his luck.
Not that because GEJ defeated Atiku/Soludo or Nnamani that I supported I'll start to grumble, it's politics; you simply move on.
If you check the list, Nnamani and Ekwueme were in attendance.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Ikengawo: 4:19am On Feb 12, 2011
GEJ is so lame. smh. Nigerians have no more time to wait for good leadership, the world is moving on
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Obiagu1(m): 4:21am On Feb 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You can say whatever you want. You have to explain to me why the SW have drifted towards Buhari they so much detest? Was it not because of the Yoruba VP? Talk of power hungry, relevance seeking, sycophants at its best!
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Kobojunkie: 4:23am On Feb 12, 2011
^^^  I don't have to explain anything to you. If you feel everything is about YOU and YOUR inability to accept criticism, then again, I suggest YOU not bother posting responses to my posts as I have little tolerance for children who throw a tantrum when their side is being criticized. Pretend you do not see my posts at all because I am not going to change my tone for you.

[size=3pt]okpoko[/size]
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by jason123: 4:24am On Feb 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

You can say whatever you want. You have to explain to me why the SW have drifted towards Buhari they so much detest? Was it not because of the Yoruba VP? Talk of power hungry, relevance seeking, sycophants at its best!

You are joking me, right? The SW supports ACN and you know that. Is Buhari in ACN? Even in ACN, the igbo "has" the VP slot. The only reason for the merger earlier was to give the party a little more "national character"
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by sbeezy8: 4:25am On Feb 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

hahaha WHO TOLD YOU SW will vote for Buhari? LOL

you must be drinking something
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Obiagu1(m): 4:28am On Feb 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^  I don't have to explain anything to you. If you feel everything is about YOU and YOUR inability to accept criticism, then again, I suggest YOU not bother posting responses to my posts as I have little tolerance for children who throw a tantrum when their side is being criticized. Pretend you do not see my posts at all because I am not going to change my tone for you.

Sorry but what makes you so sad?
My post has no "tantrum" in it or are you uncomfortable with the truth? Now you can't explain.
I definitely take criticism and tolerate whatever because I was raised well, in the hood (coal city).
You are definitely deficient in logic and you know you have no chance with me.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by seanet02: 4:28am On Feb 12, 2011
ODECHUKWU don come again o with his cheap propaganda and lies
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Obiagu1(m): 4:31am On Feb 12, 2011
jason123:

You are joking me, right? The SW supports ACN and you know that. Is Buhari in ACN? Even in ACN, the igbo "has" the VP slot. The only reason for the merger earlier was to give the party a little more "national character"

sbeezy8:

hahaha WHO TOLD YOU SW will vote for Buhari? LOL

you must be drinking something

Just curious, who do you support?
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Kobojunkie: 4:32am On Feb 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

Sorry but what makes you so sad?
My post has no "tantrum" in it or are you uncomfortable with the truth? Now you can't explain.
I definitely take criticism and tolerate whatever because I was raised well, in the hood (coal city).
You are definitely deficient in logic and you know you have no chance with me.

Again, I am not in the mood for your tantrums. Sure you were raised well enough not to see past your little issues. Look, this is NOT about you and your issues!!! If you cannot handle discussions without feeling you are being attacked, then I say you stop talking when adults are. I know you think you are one but I suggest you find your kind. I don't think as you do so get that through your head already and find your kind to bother from now on.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by jason123: 4:33am On Feb 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

I have not yet decided, still waiting for the Iwela move. but it is certainly not GEJ.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by sbeezy8: 4:34am On Feb 12, 2011
SW always liked Buhari like everyone in the country does but hes just made himself a political clown by teaming up with Bakare a religous clown- dumbest thing he could do omg buhari is DUMB.

ACN I like them but Ribadu not ready for president and no one knows who his VP is- hes like the most unpopular guy in the SE not to mention Nigeria as a whole.

THIS the is the worst opposition match up EVER.

none the less GEJ is a bloody liar- I like his style tho

Obiagu1:

GEJ the liar of course.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Kobojunkie: 4:34am On Feb 12, 2011
Here's hoping the usual suspects will not derail yet another thread on here . . . it is less than 90 days to election and 150 million people need to make a decision on their future for pete's sake.

jason123:

Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Obiagu1(m): 4:35am On Feb 12, 2011
jason123:

I have not yet decided, still waiting for the Iwela move. but it is certainly not GEJ.

Good, but April is near already lol.

You know I've always supported Atiku so it has nothing to do with Eastern region.
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by jason123: 4:37am On Feb 12, 2011
Obiagu1:

Good, but April is near already lol.

You know I've always supported Atiku so it has nothing to do with Eastern region.

May you be guided by GOD. Amen. smiley cool
Re: Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east by Obiagu1(m): 4:44am On Feb 12, 2011
sbeezy8:

SW always liked Buhari like everyone in the country does but hes just made himself a political clown by teaming up with Bakare a religous clown- dumbest thing he could do omg buhari is DUMB.

ACN I like them but Ribadu not ready for president and no one knows who his VP is- hes like the most unpopular guy in the SE not to mention Nigeria as a whole.

THIS the is the worst opposition match up EVER.

none the less GEJ is a bloody liar- I like his style tho

GEJ the liar of course.

This is the thing. ACN's choice of Ribadu and the VP failed me because Ribadu is not ready. That's it.
I've always disliked Buhari.

GEJ? I'll only give him the benefit of the doubt because he has not wronged me. A year to an election, even in America, is campaign period so I never expected him to do something tangible.
What he did I'm happy with is the voters registration, though not perfectly done, yet it can go a long way to reduce ballot box stuffing. This can be attested to the fact that some politicians are now buying voters card for up to N2,000. Imagine? Before, they'll just get it any how without spending much so this is a sign they are frustrated with this DDC machine stuff and are ready to go any length to get those cards

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GEJ Directs Road Repair Work Nationwide To Be Top Priority / Buhari Speaks About His Campaign Funds / Photos From GEJ's Meeting Wit Market Women And Their Leaders Yesterday In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.