Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,584 members, 7,801,673 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:54 PM

Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions (6845 Views)

Husband Wants Divorce From Wife Because Of Sexual Starvation / Higher Education And The Female Child / As Parents What Advice Will You Give Your Children In Higher Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by Bomi(m): 4:57pm On Feb 13, 2011
NL, What should I do? My daughter age 22 years has been telling me of a lecturer in her school.

Right from 100 level she has been harassing her and now she suppose to graduate she fail her and told her at a point blank that if she did not sleep with Her she Will not graduate.

She seek the counsel of senior lecturer in her school and other Nigeria university and she was advise not to be stubborn.

What should I do. Please advise me quickly before I kill someone.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by adonisgold: 5:05pm On Feb 13, 2011
I can help you but I need more details. School, the man's name , location etc.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by Nobody: 5:10pm On Feb 13, 2011
Please can you confirm if the alleged harrasee is a man or a womwn, You repeadly used the word she
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by Odunnu: 6:36pm On Feb 13, 2011
Bomi:

NL, What should I do? My daughter age 22 years has been telling me of a lecturer in her school.

Right from 100 level she has been harassing her and now she suppose to graduate she fail her and told her at a point blank that if she did not sleep with Her she Will not graduate.

She seek the counsel of senior lecturer in her school and other Nigeria university and she was advise not to be stubborn.

with due respect ma,I must say that either your daughter is lying and not 'saying' it as it is or this is just a figment of your imagination.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by mutter(f): 12:50am On Feb 14, 2011
This story could be very true.
I had that problem with a lecturer once. From 100 level i pulled his course till final year. With resits I had taken that paper6 times and it was easy. When I eventually went to meet him, he told me point blank that I had wasted too much time, he had been waiting patiently for me to come and render my dues.
He was not the only lecturer.
It is hard to prove such things.
You stand there and are confronted with either doing it or bearing the consequences.
@poster you are a good father. I know you will find a way of advising your daughter. Believe you me some parents will ask the girl to do it.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by OAM4J: 4:51am On Feb 14, 2011
chaircover:

Please can you confirm if the alleged harrasee is a man or a womwn, You repeadly used the word she

Whatever a male lecturer can do, a female lecturer can do. . . even better. forgive my joke

Anyway, it is news to me as well, I have not heard of a Nigerian female lecturer harassing a male student, not to talk of a female student, but then anything can happen.

mutter:

This story could be very true.
I had that problem with a lecturer once. From 100 level i pulled his course till final year. With resits I had taken that paper6 times and it was easy. When I eventually went to meet him, he told me point blank that I had wasted too much time, he had been waiting patiently for me to come and render my dues.
He was not the only lecturer.
It is hard to prove such things.
You stand there and are confronted with either doing it or bearing the consequences.
@poster you are a good father. I know you will find a way of advising your daughter. Believe you me some parents will ask the girl to do it.

You forgot to tell us what you eventually did to pass, or our guess is as good as yours cheesy
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by Nobody: 6:44am On Feb 14, 2011
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by ifyalways(f): 9:18am On Feb 14, 2011
Bomi:

Is there any evidence?
2 ways to deal with this sort of problem in Nigeria
If there is real evidence,get a lawyer to sue the freaking lecturer.The downside is that justice hardly comes overnight in Naija,this approach wud prolly take ages . . .ur girls education and future wud be delayed.
Get some bad boys in the same school to go shake up the randy old goat.Downside is that the same boys might later ask for more from u or ur daughter. . . .
May God give you the wisdom to make the right choice.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by naijafrend: 10:15am On Feb 14, 2011
@ OP

Money does wonders in Naija. Why dont you try that first and if he/she doesn't succumb, then opt for CC's idea. And if that too doesn't work, then go for some radical measures cheesy
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by honeric01(m): 10:48am On Feb 14, 2011
Odunnu:

with due respect ma,I must say that either your daughter is lying and not 'saying' it as it is or this is just a figment of your imagination.

What do you mean with the above? are you trying to say it's not possible? you better not start because i had a first hand experience (not directly), so it's VERY possible.

One more thing, stop saying someone's lying when you don't even know them, it's a wrong notion, everyone deserves a chance until proven otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by Odunnu: 11:06am On Feb 14, 2011
@Honeric: Noted.
If a lecturer fails a student and the student is sure s/he did well, in UNN(a public school) where I went to, you write a letter to the department asking for a remark of your script. Depending on who you know,it'l either be done within a week/2weeks/month. If the HOD is the cause of the friction, copy the dean of faculty. You must be sure you did well else twill backfire.If as a student you know you failed yet want to sort,its at the lecturers' discretion to say what he wants.
@poster: If you believe your daughter and think she deserves to pass, i'l advice you to take a trip to the school and see how you guys can reach a compromise. If nothing comes out of it, set the guy up and upload the video lets feed our eyes.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by assme: 11:29am On Feb 14, 2011
Like odunnu said,

If she is sure that she did well and the lecturer is just marking her down. let her not be afraid to face the issue and ask for a re-mark.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by saridonp2: 11:49am On Feb 14, 2011
Take radical measure once and for all!Get a female OPC memberif the girl is in west and they should have a talk with the lecturer.This will definitely work and stop that nonentity.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by lepa001(f): 11:54am On Feb 14, 2011
If she is sure that she did well and the lecturer is just marking her down. let her not be afraid to face the issue and ask for a re-mark.

U re just rite, She can call for her pper(s). Note that you will have to pay for the re-mark of your pper by another Lecturer.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by born2boink(m): 12:14pm On Feb 14, 2011
That is why Eruka yapaa, A.k.a cultism, seek them and they will surely help you out, get close to someone who knows them, you are safe.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by r231(m): 12:53pm On Feb 14, 2011
born2fuck:

That is why Eruka yapaa, A.k.a cultism, seek them and they will surely help you out, get close to someone who knows them, you are safe.

Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by blakmonsta: 1:03pm On Feb 14, 2011
chaircover's suggestion may sound like one woman's naive assumption that 'such things' as taking an important person to a lecturer will work, but I will back her up here.

I found university extremely easy, except for when the papers got back and i got inexplicably bad results again and again. Of course this was damaging to my self esteem and i kept trying my best, without having anyone to advise me on WHAT exactly to do.

Eventually I did the smart thing and showed up at the faculty with not only my parents, but family friends that were senior lecturers, including the dean of the faculty. A few questions about what the hell was going on yielded no fruit,

until suddenly my 'missing' answer sheets from years back started turning up with fantastic results and my 'lost' project mysteriously materialized in the university library of all places. Spotless, without a speck of dust despite being surrounded by dusty books.

Till today I have no clue who had it in for me or why, I just know that once you pull weight in the face of a bloody coward they will cease their cowardice. I only wish I had done it sooner, my GPA would have been saved.

Going to University in Nigeria is not something I wish on anyone.If you can help it, leave. If you can't, pray and do not be afraid to display whatever connections/protection you may have.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by Lexusgs430: 1:07pm On Feb 14, 2011
Send boys to the lecturer to have a word with him !!! Did i say a word, sorry I meant words with fists, belts, koboko etc etc etc
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by HARDDON: 1:10pm On Feb 14, 2011
The best way our are the ways of the Godfathers and Mothers. try to talk with the guy first to get his own perspective on the issue. if it is true that he is at fault, take a well respected Gfather down there. he cant refuse! if not, set his ass up~
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by jacron: 1:13pm On Feb 14, 2011
To those suggesting for remark be aware that its a lecturer that will remark it, they will end up frustrating her, i think a radical approach is the best choice, for him  to realise his mistakes.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by switosman(m): 1:21pm On Feb 14, 2011
Mind you poster.

what comes our way, somehow we attract it. if your girl can do a deep inward search, she will find how and why the said lecturer started to disturb her. if she is able to build up courage, able to put in hardwork to her studies, she can atand and tell her a capital NO,
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by johnjoel(m): 1:25pm On Feb 14, 2011
JUST do it and f*********CCCCCCCCCCCkKKKKKKKKK him to death
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by Odunnu: 1:35pm On Feb 14, 2011
'A' lecturer does not mark it in UNN. Its already a case if a student writes for a remark. Its a big big case no sane lecturer wants to be involved in.
1. The lecturer tables his marking scheme.
2. They pull the student's answer sheet and tally it with the signed exam attendance to correspond with writing and number.
3. They make photocopies in accordance to the number of mini committee set up.
4. A day is set and 2persons from that dept, 2 from the faculty and 1 frm any other faculty marks and then make their individual/general remarks.
Its a very transparent procedure.

1 Like

Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by Odunnu: 1:36pm On Feb 14, 2011
switosman:

Mind you poster.

what comes our way, somehow we attract it. if your girl can do a deep inward search, she will find how and why the said lecturer started to disturb her. if she is able to build up courage, able to put in hardwork to her studies, she can atand and tell her a capital NO,
You are right. I always reserve 70% blame to any female who says she's being harassed by a lecturer
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by otokx(m): 1:44pm On Feb 14, 2011
Children of nowadays do not read and go looking for shortcuts; if your daughter or ward is not dull then he can take the matter up to the university ethics committee. You have refused to disclose more information for us to give concrete advice.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by maxtop(m): 1:59pm On Feb 14, 2011
It is a common phenomenon in our tertiary institutions and if your daughter can come up with vital evidence then i can help you out !!
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by maclatunji: 2:01pm On Feb 14, 2011
There is this silly perception that once a child enters an higher institution, the parents need not be involved in their academic or school affairs (total rubbish of course), march down to the lecturer's office in your "war" outfit, let him know that the game is over and your daughter is "out-of-bounds."  Just make sure that your daughter is telling the truth first before you go, and give the girl a proper lecture on self-respect, public appearance, carriage and demeanour.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by trailblaza: 2:11pm On Feb 14, 2011
Sir, i recommend that you get a double barrel, aim it at his balls and squeez the trigger hard- problem solved.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by Delta007(m): 2:35pm On Feb 14, 2011
Before you do anything, you need to check your daughter's grades right from 100 level. Has she been doing well or just scraping by? If it's the latter, there's a high probability that your daughter is playing with your intelligence. You may want to investigate your daughter's activities in school. Hopefully you are not suprised but do not put anything past her. What some "angel-sent" daughters do on the campus, you will not believe. You may also want to investigate the said lecturer to see if this is a trend. It's easy to get information in Nigeria if you are serious about it.

If you are absolutely sure that your daughter is on the right, then set the lecturer up. Let your daughter go see him again and record the conversation on her cell phone; that way, you can take it up. This has to be planned properly.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by totorimi: 2:46pm On Feb 14, 2011
This is a perosnla matter jo, lets not worry our head over it
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by Ben13: 2:51pm On Feb 14, 2011
This is the typical Nigeria case. . not surprised.
Re: Sexual Harasment In Higher Institutions by andyprez(m): 2:59pm On Feb 14, 2011
OP. This is very true and it happens a lot.
I was once a victim and my lecturer (the main person) plainly told me to go for a remark if I doubt his grades knowing fully well that majority of those that take that step never recover in my school. Its either you're expelled or you're expelled, there's no two way about it. But there's one tiny way left in which you may succeed (its not a guarantee) is for to you have a godfather in the senate, if not, dance to his tune and you'd be free someday (hopefully soon).
Wish you the best of luck

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Update:beautiful PICTURES Of The Little Girl Manhandled By A Wicked Nanny / CBM7: Cussions Announces Prize Of ₦2 Million For This Year's Winner / Your Mother Or Your Wife: Whom Would You Save?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.