Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,644 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. (9124 Views)

Nigerians Misunderstood Apcs Change Mantra - Lai Mohammed / Exclusive Interview: You Will Soon See That APC Is Grossly Overrated, Says GEJ / I Was Misunderstood - Akpabio: Was He? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by MaJBlige(f): 2:29pm On Feb 14, 2011
At my zonal presidential campaign rally in Ibadan, Oyo State, last Tuesday, I spoke about the place of the South-West in the Nigerian federation. Without mincing words, I spoke about the level of education and sophistication in the region.
In my opinion - and in the opinion of many informed Nigerians - the South-West is of critical significance to the economic and political advancement of the country. The progress of the zone is the progress of Nigeria. It makes perfect sense that such a critical segment of Nigeria is governed by those who have what it takes!

These were my exact words as accurately captured by the Nigerian Tribune of Wednesday, February 9, 2011:

"The entire South-West is too important, too sophisticated and too educated to be in the hands of rascals."

I had referred here to the fact that unreliable or mischievous behaviours or notions ought not to be acceptable in any part of our body politic especially not in the South-West where the population has had the privilege of a head start in education compared to other parts of the country.

It is unhelpful to public discourse if we constantly twist words beyond intended meaning. Surely, even the most zealous detractor of the interest of the South West would not desire that anyone would wish upon such a sophisticated part of our country, the activity of unreliable or mischievous intentions.
In other words, I had indicated that abhorrence for such behaviour should be our proclivity, especially considering the disposition of the people of the Western States to governance standards.
But by laying so much emphasis on the latter part of the sentence we dither profoundly on nuances, and this typifies the general tendency to dwell on the negative which we must, as a country, refrain from. My qualification of the West as highly educated and sophisticated was easily dispensed with, while the fact that we should not expose such civilized and educated populace to rascality was played more upon, with emphasis on the rascality.
But we easily forget, perhaps because we have neglected for far too long the important role that our educational institutions play in development, that the foundations of our independence movement burgeoned its fruits from the discussions which emanated from the sophisticated “Ibadan School of thought” as the liberal Arts faculties of the then University College Ibadanwas then known.
However, as true leadership requires, I take responsibility for any misunderstanding of the context in which my statement was made. In a time of active politicking, when scoring political points have taken precedence over our overarching goal of nation building, we must not allow those strong bonds which tie us together as a nation, and which brought our people to the streets, for the common cause of seeing that the right thing is done by all and for all the people of our country - an ideal which the western part of Nigeria has always been in the fore-front of aspiring for - to be dispensed with by the mere nuance which we attach to words.
The Western part of Nigeria by my estimation remains a very sophisticated and educated part of our dear country as sophisticated as the cultures in all other parts of our country and unique in its unequivocal stand for justice and equity. Therefore,as Architect Sambo and I move around the country seeking the mandate of our dear countrymen and women, we shall continue to respect and pay tribute to the hard work and patience of all our people. Our promise of a significant turnaround in the way our country operates and is governed is an article of faith.
I made a commitment to Nigerians that our campaign will be about issues and livelihood advancement. I am determined to remain true to this commitment.

In this regard, we made the promise and will zealously deliver on, amongst other things, a stable, constant supply of electricity which will revolutionise the way business is done in our country.We will pay special attention to the security of lives and property; we will focus on access to good quality health andeducation for all Nigerians and job creation for our youths, for this is the only way we can defeat poverty.

We are focused on delivering on our commitment to agricultural and infrastructural development, the expansion of our economy and the complete transformation of our national security architecture in other to better secure lives and property in our Country.

Let us all insist in building a united nation where justice, equityand the fundamental essence of freedom and democracy is sustained. GEJ
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by MaJBlige(f): 2:31pm On Feb 14, 2011
God Bless You sir. We knew better than the detractors. Damage control or not, you have spoken well sir.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by blacksta(m): 2:35pm On Feb 14, 2011
yawns

and goes back to sleeps smiley
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by excanny: 2:43pm On Feb 14, 2011
I wonder why some folks like to take things out of context without reading beneath the surface. Let's see what they have to say now. Carry on with the good job, Sir.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by wesley80(m): 2:46pm On Feb 14, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

But by laying so much emphasis on the latter part of the sentence we dither profoundly on nuances, and this typifies the general tendency to dwell on the negative which we must, as a country, refrain from. My qualification of the West as highly educated and sophisticated was easily dispensed with, while the fact that we should not expose such civilized and educated populace to rascality was played more upon, with emphasis on the rascality.

@Bolded, If only they were not too deaf to hear.
blacksta:

yawns

and goes back to sleeps smiley

Of course, I expect common sense to bore u.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by MaJBlige(f): 2:48pm On Feb 14, 2011
LOL.

Why will something good make meaning?

Sleep on bros.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by Odunnu: 2:53pm On Feb 14, 2011
Go GEJ! We believe in you
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by jason123: 2:54pm On Feb 14, 2011
MJB
Can you provide the link to this article?Please.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by evangy69: 2:55pm On Feb 14, 2011
Emotional people are easily distracted & compromised. Their reasoning can easily be kidnapped by the devil & his agents to achieve a negative objective contrary to the will of God. To the pure everything is pure and to the unclean everything is seen from the angle of uncleanliness. GEJ,don't be distracted,just carry on with the plan of God for your life. Those who find their anchor in the spirit are never easily distracted by the antics of the devil & his agents. It is your destiny,avoid the gainsayers. By May 2011,they will go back to their tent of ignominy and God will give you rest on each side for you to work for the true Nigerians. Amen
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by Pataki: 3:00pm On Feb 14, 2011
What a composition of baloney.

Did he actually write that or it is part of the doctored speeches which he is now well known for?

It is unhelpful to public discourse if we constantly twist words beyond intended meaning. Surely, even the most zealous detractor of the interest of the South West would not desire that anyone would wish upon such a sophisticated part of our country, the activity of unreliable or mischievous intentions.
In other words, I had indicated that abhorrence for such behaviour should be our proclivity, especially considering the disposition of the people of the Western States to governance standards.

No Mr. President, we do not dither profoundly on nuances. YOU chose to dwell on innuendos with your campaign. Your express choice of words clearly indicates what you regard of differing political parties and how desperate you are, to remain in power. We are not kindergartens that are not able to read meanings accurately to your own quotes.

I hate how you think you can play with words and the intelligence of Nigerians. This is utterly rancid and silly of you Mr. President. You again make emphasis to the fact that the term ''rascals'' refers to: ''unreliable or mischievous behaviours or notions ought not to be acceptable in any part of our body politic especially not in the South-West where the population has had the privilege of a head start in education compared to other parts of the country.'' Who/what are these unreliable or mischievous behaviors or notions? Is it Gbenga Daniel in Ogun or Alao Akala in Oyo State, or you refer to ACN governors in Lagos, Osun, Ondo?

You have not clearly stated whom your quote was directed at, rather made a general statement filled with useless verbiage to confuse the people.

Goodbye to PDP in 2011. Enough of these MADNESS and clueless leadership which PDP has given us for the last 12 years.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by ddcmachine: 3:08pm On Feb 14, 2011
Let's hear from crap journalist now that the real statement is out. Gej yes u were misquoted. But why shld ribadu react so silly on a word without finding out the real statement that word accompanied? Gej we are waiting to vote u into aso villa come April 9
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 14, 2011
A negatively intelligent doctor (PHD) should not try to play on the intelligence of discerning patients
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by jason123: 3:12pm On Feb 14, 2011
ddc machine:

Let's hear from crap journalist now that the real statement is out. Gej yes u were misquoted. But why shld ribadu react so silly on a word without finding out the real statement that word accompanied? Gej we are waiting to vote u into aso villa come April 9

jason123:

Can you provide the link to this article?Please.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by IbroYaya: 3:17pm On Feb 14, 2011
^^^^ Go to his facebook page.

Thank u Mr President.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by ddcmachine: 3:17pm On Feb 14, 2011
@jason123, check gej's facebook wall and u'll see it
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by tollu: 3:20pm On Feb 14, 2011
With all the grammar that GEJ has 'reportedly' spewed, I still don't see how he was grossly misunderstood.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by Nobody: 3:25pm On Feb 14, 2011
just like his manifesto, a lot of words but no message
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by ShangoThor(m): 3:26pm On Feb 14, 2011
Awww for F’s sake, I like GEJ simply because he is a minority whose Political position trumped all that zoning crap.

But I hate be patronized, this is NIGERIA, people can read and are intelligent, there is no doubt in my mind to infer that the word ‘rascals’ was referring to the Party and Governors in control of the SW States. Furthermore, he would not have got into this mess if he just stuck to talking about policies period.

His clarification is trying to point out that he gave out a massive compliment first before mentioning anything about rascality. He defines rascality as -
I had referred here to the fact that unreliable or mischievous behaviours or notions ought not to be acceptable in any part of our body politic especially not in the South-West where the population has had the privilege of a head start in education compared to other parts of the country.

He needs to precisely elaborate on what he means by the bold above, and apologise. If he doesn’t apologise, then it’s fair play for other politicians to get personal with him because he has opened the floodgates.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by debosky(m): 3:32pm On Feb 14, 2011
Utter nonsense - using high sounding but ultimately meaningless words to say a simple thing: GEJ spoke without thinking.

There is no 'nuance' in interpreting that the rascals are the non-PDP elements in the SW. Maybe GEJ thought he was talking to the fishes in the Ogunpa river or the cows up North and not to intelligent Nigerians.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by monkeyleg: 3:46pm On Feb 14, 2011
GEJ, must ensure that his words are guarded and sensitive. Referring to people as rascals is grossly irresponsible, especailly as he is the President
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by mogentle(m): 3:50pm On Feb 14, 2011
Nsiman, sign in now, Oh sorry M-J-Blige & Wesley80 are still at work.
Beaf is becoming a robot, operating many laptops with diff Ids on a single thread.
A sign of prevailing moronic display.

I know one day Seun will do something about your case.
But Beaf, can't u post successfully without multiple IDs?
I'm linking it to INSANITY in your Brain Box. shocked shocked
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by juman(m): 3:54pm On Feb 14, 2011
mogentle:

Nsiman, sign in now, Oh sorry M-J-Blige & Wesley80 are still at work.
Beaf is becoming a robot, operating many laptops with diff Ids on a single thread.
A sign of prevailing moronic display.

I know one day Seun will do something about your case.
But Beaf, can't u post successfully without multiple IDs?
I'm linking it to INSANITY in your Brain Box. shocked shocked

grin grin grin grin

Ma_J_Blige is not Beaf. Surely Ma_J_Blige is a woman.
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by Mobinga: 3:56pm On Feb 14, 2011
This is common sense. The rascals blew it out of proportion. Shtupid rascals
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by ddcmachine: 3:57pm On Feb 14, 2011
qoute
These were my exact words as accurately captured by the Nigerian Tribune of Wednesday, February 9, 2011:

"The entire South-West is too important, too sophisticated and too educated to be in the hands of rascals." if a news paper had this, dn't u think something is wrong smewhere?
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by EkoIle1: 4:22pm On Feb 14, 2011
His name really should be Badluck Jonathan. Everywhere he goes, death and bad omen follows,
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by ddcmachine: 4:25pm On Feb 14, 2011
Since he is not called badluck, adopt badluck as ur new name. Onyeara
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by ddcmachine: 4:26pm On Feb 14, 2011
Since he is not called badluck, adopt badluck as ur new name. Onyeara
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by monkeyleg: 4:26pm On Feb 14, 2011
juman:

grin grin grin grin

Ma_J_Blige is not Beaf. Surely Ma_J_Blige is a woman.

For were, na man wey wear woman skirt, rob lipstick be dat. Oga leave this Cross-Dressing business, e no dey pay
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Feb 14, 2011
Nobody Misunderstood you, or your Spokes person Ima Ni boro who added salt to injury. i think what he should be saying is that he has learnt to watch his words. Your message at that rally was very loud and very clear
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by Justcash(m): 5:09pm On Feb 14, 2011
[b]I have been watching the reactions that GEJ's statement generated, with people from mainly the southwest grievously taking it as an insult, while ignoring the fact that it was being overblown by the opposition party members. This is politics, and the opposition can pick on anything to discredit their opponents. Imagine if GEJ imposed Dame and his daughter in PDPs Senatorial primaries, just like Tinubu did, Nigeria would have experienced a sudden break down. But Tinubu's action was treated as an act of God.
You guys failed to realise that;
1. Nobody's name or party was mentioned.
2. PDP also gat governors in the South West.
3. The statement actually gave more prestige to the Southwest than insult.
4. Rascal was used by GEJ more like in a scenario, than in reality.
5. The rascals actually points more to the PDP governors than the ACN and Labour Party governors.

Yet, I discovered that people heaped insults on him and called for his head. It further exposes how fragile Nigeria is. Every action and word takes an ethnic, religious or Regional dimension in Nigeria which makes me wonder why the heck we are still one in this freaking country.
Most people that reacted to GEJ's assertion are actually rascals, because their reactions gave a signal that his statement was meant for them. Fashola and Ribadu included. Though I like them, I am disappointed with them. They behaved like Primary school kids (Push me, I push you).[/b]
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by IbroYaya: 5:15pm On Feb 14, 2011
Justcash:

5. The rascals actually points more to the PDP governors than the ACN and Labour Party governors.

[b]Most people that reacted to GEJ's assertion are actually rascals, because their reactions gave a signal that his statement was meant for them. Fashola and Ribadu included. Though I like them, I am disappointed with them. They behaved like Primary school kids
(Push me, I push you).[/b]

Well said my brother!
Re: I Was Grossly Misunderstood - Gej. by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 14, 2011
Justcash:

[b]I have been watching the reactions that GEJ's statement generated, with people from mainly the southwest grievously taking it as an insult, while ignoring the fact that it was being overblown by the opposition party members. This is politics, and the opposition can pick on anything to discredit their opponents. Imagine if GEJ imposed Dame and his daughter in PDPs Senatorial primaries, just like Tinubu did, Nigeria would have experienced a sudden break down. But Tinubu's action was treated as an act of God.

Yet, I discovered that people heaped insults on him and called for his head. It further exposes how fragile Nigeria is. Every action and word takes an ethnic, religious or Regional dimension in Nigeria which makes me wonder why the heck we are still one in this freaking country.
Most people that reacted to GEJ's assertion are actually rascals, because their reactions gave a signal that his statement was meant for them. Fashola and Ribadu included. Though I like them, I am disappointed with them. They behaved like Primary school kids (Push me, I push you).[/b]

Specifically he said lagos as the economic capital is very important and much be captured by PDP. he also said the south West is to sophisticated to be left in the hands of rascal, we must capture, Ekiti, Osun, Ondo and Laogs states. he mentioned these states, said they were too important for fas and co

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan's Alleged Billion Naira Hotel Under Construction (PHOTOS) / Igbo Man As Indigene Of Lagos, Yorubaman Sokoto Indigene, Fulani Enugu Indigene / Nigeria’s Revenue Can’t Sustain Interest Payment On Debt – World Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.