Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,859 members, 7,802,751 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian (47118 Views)

An American Woman With Two Husbands And Three Children Is Causing A Stir Online / Swiss Woman Married To A Nigerian Thought She Would Never Have Children (Photos) / Woman Married To Dead Man For 5 Years - The Sun (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by thedarkfuzz: 9:16pm On Aug 12, 2020
Ekaso y'all. I'm an American white guy married to a wonderful Yoruba lady. We live in America.

My wife is travelling for work 4 days out of 7 the last two weeks. When she came home last week, I put on a suit and took her out to a fancy restaurant to let her know how incredibly happy I was to have her home.

This week, I want to surprise her again - she's expecting the suit, so I thought I might go with my buba and agbada instead. I have one from our wedding and another that she bought me for general fancy occasion wear.

I've only ever worn this kind of dress to local events with lots of Nigerians (birthday party, wedding) and once to a friend's wedding. I haven't ever used it for something like a dinner date. I have a general sense (from growing up here) of when it's right and not right to put on a suit, but I have no clear idea of what occasions are ok/not ok for a buba and agbada.

Should I pick up my wife at the airport tomorrow for a dinner date in Nigerian formal dress?

Photo used for illustration

181 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Mancala: 1:47am On Aug 13, 2020
Ekaso y'all? That's straight up gangsta dude grin. JK, kudos on making an effort to speak the lingo.
If your intent is to please/ make your wife happy, only you can answer the question. But I can give you some practical tips to help you figure this out. First, the full native wear comprising of the buba (shirt), sokoto (trousers) and agbada (flowing wide sleeved robe) is equivalent in formality to wearing a three piece suit (if you're old school) or just a regular 2 piece suit. But there's a further twist to it. The type of material the native wear is made of also determines the degree of formality. In general (old school thinking), the "Ankara" material would be at the lower end of the formalilty spectrum whilst "aso oke" would be at the higher end of it. But these days, there are real fancy Ankara materials that could pass for formal.

My questions for you are thus: How did your wife react to your wearing a suit to pick her up at the airport and going directly to a fancy restaurant? Do you think she may have felt underdressed or wanted to change out of her travel clothes to match you? Did she enjoy the experience? If she did, then go for it with the Nigerian clothes. But this time, bring her a change of clothes, perhaps bring her matching Nigerian outfit so y'all are both dressed up. You may also up the ante and research a good Nigerian restaurant in your neck of the woods. Call ahead and have them prepare her favorite Nigerian dishes. I am yet to meet a Nigerian in the diaspora who does not miss Nigerian food! Lastly, if you've had any experience wearing an agbada, you know that it takes a certain level of Pizzaz to pull it off effectively. It's really not suited for the tasks of fetching luggage and rolling or carrying any distance through the airport, especially if its of the "aso oke" variety. Feel free to leave the agbada in the car and wear only the buba and sokoto if that makes it easier to go get her. Good luck and let us know how it went. We're rooting for ya cheesy

One last thing. Some folks have strong sentimental feelings about their wedding outfits and may not want them worn anyhow. Figure this out first that your wife will not go nuts if you wore your wedding attire out to pick her up from the airport. Maybe go with the non wedding attire?

205 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Ishilove: 2:15am On Aug 13, 2020
thedarkfuzz:
Ekaso y'all. I'm an American white guy married to a wonderful Yoruba lady. We live in America.

My wife is travelling for work 4 days out of 7 the last two weeks. When she came home last week, I put on a suit and took her out to a fancy restaurant to let her know how incredibly happy I was to have her home.

This week, I want to surprise her again - she's expecting the suit, so I thought I might go with my buba and agbada instead. I have one from our wedding and another that she bought me for general fancy occasion wear.

I've only ever worn this kind of dress to local events with lots of Nigerians (birthday party, wedding) and once to a friend's wedding. I haven't ever used it for something like a dinner date. I have a general sense (from growing up here) of when it's right and not right to put on a suit, but I have no clear idea of what occasions are ok/not ok for a buba and agbada.

Should I pick up my wife at the airport tomorrow for a dinner date in Nigerian formal dress?
You, sir, shall be the cynosure of all eyes. grin

Take Mancala's advice grin

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Nobody: 2:54am On Aug 13, 2020
@thedarkfuzz, that's sweet.

You should wear the one she bought you for general fancy occasion wear.
I'm sure she will know you're wearing it for her and will be all smiles.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Obusssenp(m): 9:35am On Aug 13, 2020
I really fink iz cool

4 Likes

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Buddy0: 9:36am On Aug 13, 2020
I won't lie this is beautiful.... Gudluck dude

WiseAnt:
I swear e no make sense at all
see how the man be like those Fulani Albino
he just wan impress his wife

Comon Bro.. Be a real Niggarrr

31 Likes

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by ThatFairGuy: 9:36am On Aug 13, 2020
Wearing agbada to a dinner is not ideal and appropriate.
Wear buba and sooro.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Ejlove4u(m): 9:36am On Aug 13, 2020
how is this one news?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Tboysalau(m): 9:36am On Aug 13, 2020
Niceee

1 Like

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Mowsid(m): 9:36am On Aug 13, 2020
You showing her that you have the Nigerian vibe in you she will definitely love it. Rock your Agbada all d way

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by MrOjay1(m): 9:37am On Aug 13, 2020
''ekaso y'all'' cheesy grin

No let typical yoruba elder catch you for this type of greeting

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Areaboy2(m): 9:37am On Aug 13, 2020
that opening though.. straight up thug life grin grin
hehee joking.. good luck bro!!

14 Likes

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Mykie123: 9:38am On Aug 13, 2020
Is a good trying everything possible to fit into another culture regardless of race. The sync is phenomenal smiley

2 Likes

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Babbadata: 9:38am On Aug 13, 2020
Go ahead it's obvious you guys are doing well financialy

4 Likes

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by kingreign(m): 9:38am On Aug 13, 2020
This is gonna be straight gangsta mehn, your wearing an agbada will leave alot of romantic lovely memory in her heart for a long time. Just do the one she bought for occasions cool

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:38am On Aug 13, 2020
thedarkfuzz:

Ekaso y'all.
I'm an American white guy married to a wonderful Yoruba lady. We live in America.
First of all,
Bawoni Y'all! cheesy

Yes do,
She will be so suprise and love you more by seeing that.
And the odd of she planting a kiss on your lips at the Airport will be very sure odds.
Confirmed!

I put on a suit and took her out to a fancy restaurant to let her know how incredibly happy I was to have her home.
Awwwwww kiss
American guys can be so ROMANTIC sha.
'Some' Naija guys, please make una learn something from dis biko!
Take your wives out for dates....na beg we dey beg una!

@thedarkfuzz,
You can go on something informal like the below images.......

Photo used for illustration

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by manuelreports: 9:39am On Aug 13, 2020
Good
Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by psychologist(m): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2020
Op, you can't go wrong doing it the Nigerian way.

Ask our goat

Even Andre pirlo choose him over penaldo grin

23 Likes

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Coldfeets: 9:39am On Aug 13, 2020
How will this put an end to covid19? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by NettyNelly(m): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2020
That would really be nice. You look lovely in those materials. But it depends on how she reacts when you put on those clothes while going out with her.

You should give priority to your brand and the brain behind your brand design. My portfolio will enlighten you. Check my signature
Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Kobicove(m): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2020
I think wearing an agbada just to go pick up your wife from the airport is a bit of an overkill grin

2 Likes

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by majamajic(m): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2020
I was here
Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by topedoski(m): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2020
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Temitope009(f): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2020
That's the thoughtful of you. You must be a good husband to her. Please, take care of our sister well smiley

Regarding the dressing, I'll suggest you do what your wife will find amusing and pleased with, you should know her better by now.

If not, you can just bring up a little convo with her to know what she might like in a way she wouldn't guess.

It all boils down to what she will like.

3 Likes

Re: Wearing Buba / Agbada As An American Married To A Nigerian by Haywhymido(m): 9:40am On Aug 13, 2020
hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UPDATE: I've Been Restless Having A Chat With My Elder Brother / Hausa Muslim Girl Impregnated By Igbo Man Dies During Childbirth, Family Wants.. / Three Powerful Prayers That Could Turn Your Husband Back To God.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.