Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:27 AM

What We Did Not Know About Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What We Did Not Know About Buhari (12685 Views)

We Will Do To Boko Haram, What We Did To Biafra - Obasanjo / 54 Incredible Facts That You Might Not Know About Nigeria / We Did Not Kidnap Olu Falae – Fulani Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What We Did Not Know About Buhari by dayokanu(m): 7:01am On Feb 15, 2011
Vote Buhari.

In 2011, GMB is not alone. He's supported by a team of volunteers online and offline like me, who never voted for him before. We didn't vote for him, because we didn't know.

We didn't know that he supervised and birthed our only existing refineries.

We didn't know that what he did in road construction while in the PTF hasn't been matched by 12yrs of the PDP, even though we claimed they were lopsided.

We didn't know that in his time as head of state he reduced inflation from 23% to 4%, by fiscal discipline and a homegrown economic team (not achieved under any other era, even military).

We didn't know that there was no religious crisis while he led.

We didn't know that JJ Rawlings of Ghana took over 2yrs before him, and killed all the corrupt leaders, while GMB merely gave his own, long-term jail sentences.

We didn't know that the hospitals and universities around the country never witnessed as much benefits they got from the PTF from any government after or before his time.

We did not know, that this man haven been in all the oil sectors in Nigeria, has no petrol station, much less a refinery or an oil rig like so many of our leaders. We never voted him, because we did not know.

http://www.deoluakinyemi.com/why-im-voting-buhari-bakare-in-2011-elections/
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by dayokanu(m): 7:03am On Feb 15, 2011
But now we know, We know that he has followership in the north that money can't buy. We know that those who follow him are poor, and follow him out of hope and belief in his values. I have met old men who know him, who have said, "[size=18pt]All I need from Buhari is his word, I can take it to the bank[/size]". Now we know that here is someone that has been in everything to make him a Dan-Something, but didn't take the road. We feared he was an Islamic fundamentalist, but he challenged us to provide any human being who can point at anything he did to show the same. His Cook and Drivers, two roles that can be influenced to have your life are Christians. In his passion for discipline, he has pulled down mosques, punished emirs, and followed principles over the respect of people. Then this year, to the utter shock of the world, he picks the most radically outspoken no nonsense Christian Preacher in Nigeria to be his vice. Now we know, that it's about the values, not religion and certainly not the fact that he becomes the first (correct me if I'm wrong) Nigerian president without multiple wives or an array of concubines.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=192615757427356&id=1550427084
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by dayokanu(m): 7:05am On Feb 15, 2011
1) We didnt Vote for him, because we didnt know.

2) We didnt know that he supervised and birthed our only existing refineries.

3)We didnt know that what he did in road construction while in the PTF hasnt beenmatched by 12yrs of the PDP, even though we claimed they were lopsided.

4)We didnt know that in his time ashead of state he reduced inflation from 23% to 4%, by fiscal discipline and a homegrown economic team (not achieved under any other era, even military).

5)We didnt know that there wasno religious crisis while he led.

6)We didnt know that JJ Rawlings ofGhana took over 2yrs before him, and killed all the corrupt leaders, whileGMB merely gave his own, long term jail sentences.

7)We didnt know that the hospitals and universities around the country neverwitnessed as much benefits they got from the PTF from any government after or before his time.

coolWe did not know, that this man had been in all the oil sectors in Nigeria, has No Petrol Station, much less a refinery or an oil rig like so many of our leaders.

We never voted him, because we did not know.
Now YOU Know…
Join Us today if you want to know more, thediscussions are getting heated search on Facebook “Buhari Bakare 2011 Volunteers Group” Contact us:buharibakare2011@groups.facebook.com www.facebook.com/adeolu.akinyemi
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Genbuhari3: 7:29am On Feb 15, 2011
[b]is deolu akinyemi in the picture of those supporting Buhari? same popular deolu akinyemi? Wowm that would be wonderful!

Ride on pastor! the BB change has come. please check out who is making up Jonathan's campaign team. bunch of the usual thieves!
[/b]Home | News | Saraki, Dangote, Adenuga, others in Jonathan’s campaign team
Saraki, Dangote, Adenuga, others in Jonathan’s campaign team
Font size:   Sanni Ologun 15/02/2011 01:43:00
Goodluck Jonathan

[b]Business mogul Aliko Dangote, telecoms magnate Mike Adenuga and Kwara State Governor Bukola Saraki, among others, yesterday made the campaign team of President Goodluck Jonathan.

Former Director-General of the Jonathan/Sambo campaign organisation heads the Presidential Campaign Council (PCC), which will be inaugurated by acting National Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Dr Bello Haliru Mohammed in Abuja today.

Also on board are loyalists of former presidential aspirants Ibrahim Babangida and Abubakar Atiku. Atiku lost the party’s ticket to Jonathan at the January 13 convention after Babangida, Saraki and Aliyu Gusau stepped down for him following his emergence as North’s consensus candidate.

He was picked by the Northern Political Leaders Forum (NPLF) headed by  Mallam Adamu Ciroma.

Babangida’s and Atiku’s loyalists may have been appointed in line with Jonathan’s promise to accommodate his opponents in his campaign.

Former Director-General of the Babangida Campaign organisation, Chief Raymond Dokpesi, is a member of the PCC Publicity Committee. He will also serve as one of the resource persons for the presidential campaign.

Saraki is the chairman of the Reconciliation Committee with pro-Atiku campaigner and former Senate President Ken Nnamani as member.

The wife of the leader of the NPLF and PDP’s National Woman Leader, Hajia Ina Ciroma, is also a member of the Reconciliation Committee. Former Governor of Ondo State Olusegun Agagu and former Minister of Information Prof. Jerry Gana are also members.

Others in the committee are Alhaji Bamanga Tukur, Alabo Graham Douglas, Senator Ladan Shunni and Ambassador Aminu Wali.

The Publicity Committee also has some prominent publishers including Comfort Obi of the Source Magazine and Dennis Sami of Nigeria Pilot as members. 

Names of some aides of the President feature on the list, but former Director of Media of the Jonathan/Sambo Campaign organisation, Sully Abu is missing on the list.

Dangote, Adenuga, Femi Otedola, Alhaji Abdulsamad Rabiu, Tony Elumelu, Alhaji Kashim Bukar; Chief Emeka Offor; Alhaji Sayyu Dantata; Jim Ovia; Dahiru Manga and Kola Salako are on the donor’s list.

Former Chairman of PDP’s Board of Trustees (BOT) Chief Tony Anenih will serve as the Campaign Adviser. Former PDP national secretary Chief Ojo Maduekwe is Secretary.

The six geo-political zones will be co-ordinated by governors that did the same job for Jonathan before the January 13 convention.

They are Governors Liyel Imoke of Cross River State (Southsouth), Martin Elechi, Ebonyi (Southeast), Gbenga Daniel, Ogun (Southwest), Gabriel Suswam, Benue (Northcentral), Isa Yuguda, Bauchi (Northeast) and Ibrahim Shema, Katsina (Northwest).

Senate President David Mark, Speaker Dimeji Bankole, Deputy Senate President Ike Ekwerenmadu and the Deputy Speaker Usman Nafada are all expected to co-ordinate the National Assembly for the PCC.

Former Inspector-General of Police Mike Okiro heads the security committee; leading industrialist Oba Otudeko chairs the Finance and Fund Raising Committee. 

The Inter-Party Relations Committee to handle affairs concerning parties that adopted Jonathan as their standard-bearer is headed by Chief Ebenezer Babatope.[/b]
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by NnamdiN: 7:40am On Feb 15, 2011
I know u r just canvassing support ur Oga sha, make sure u r not overblowing it,,,I'd willingly vote 4 BB than waste it on GEJ who ll win anyway
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by maga1: 7:55am On Feb 15, 2011
There is nothing as glaring as the truth. Most people that wont vote buhari hate him out of either religious or tribal sentiment or they simply wont vote him because their family benefits 4rm the loot of pdp government. For someone like buhari not to own a house in abj and also posses the status above. Then i think naijans have to think with their head & choose what will better the lives of their children in the future. I am for BB2011 , no going back.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by leonaidas(m): 8:46am On Feb 15, 2011
@OP, seriously? i never knew he had such an impressive resume, am i permitted to use your post on other site? i dont mind campaigning 4 him.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Jeel: 8:54am On Feb 15, 2011
4 now GEJ is our man.it does not matter what anyone did in the past.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Genbuhari3: 8:58am On Feb 15, 2011
JEEL,

Sorry ooooo! The people think otherwise! BB facebook page was launched a few days ago and the fan page has already hit over a thousand!

Mark this - Buhari wins North west (biggest block vote), north east, part of south west and part of north central. we are coasting home to victory on a train that will crush all corrupt, clueless GEJ supporters on its part.

GEJ and PDP will cry in April!
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Nsiman(m): 9:13am On Feb 15, 2011
Dayokanu, ur points looks like that of an ill!terate, how did buhari build a refinery, how can sm1 be in a oil and gas and claim he has no single filling station and in ur tiny brain the way the refineries are located off the places of raw materials is a healthy one? Why didn't the textile industry in kano brought to the south? Buhari concentrates in his zone only and is fit to be president in 'arewa republic' and not the FRN.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Genbuhari3: 9:24am On Feb 15, 2011
NSIMAN

Keep ranting! if he has a filling station, oil well or he has ever been chairman of a private company, non executive director, or owns a company, please let us know rather than screaming for help on your hopeless situation.

You have heard of gbenga obasanjo, mohammed babangida, mohammed abacha controlling billions of their father's stolen money. please name one of buhari's children and their wealth

mumu as usual
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Pataki: 9:39am On Feb 15, 2011
I never wanted to support Buhari.

But now, my eyes have been open. The only credible person out of the lot contesting for presidency is BUHARI.

I had the jihad and Islamic phobia about Buhari, but this man has consistently shown that he seeks for the development of Nigeria. His consistency, desire and passion for leading Nigeria is second to none.

While he had contested in 2003 and 2007, and he lost, Buhari did not take the law into his hands. Rather he went to court to seek redress about the matter. Twice he lost in the courtroom, but he has not given up on the nation. He has a vision for this country, and if he can wipe out corruption in times past, we surely need him to set Nigeria on the right path once again.

I admire his courage, I admire his tenacity. He surely has a message to teach our generation. Never give up on your dreams. . . . . and I sincerely would campaign for him and tell others about him.

In 2003 and 2007, Nigerians were not enlightened about this man, but now, the tables have turned and the spotlight is on him. With a clueless Goodluck and Party Deceiving People (PDP) destroying Nigeria, we surely need a Buhari, who has the experience, the dogma and charisma to set Nigeria and Nigerians on the true path of greatness.

Buhari 2011!
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by ogb5(m): 9:52am On Feb 15, 2011
dayokanu:

Vote Buhari.
In 2011, GMB is not alone. He's supported by a team of volunteers online and offline like me, who never voted for him before. We didn't vote for him, because we didn't know. We didn't know that he supervised and birthed our only existing refineries. We didn't know that what he did in road construction while in the PTF hasn't been matched by 12yrs of the PDP, even though we claimed they were lopsided. We didn't know that in his time as head of state he reduced inflation from 23% to 4%, by fiscal discipline and a homegrown economic team (not achieved under any other era, even military). We didn't know that there was no religious crisis while he led. We didn't know that JJ Rawlings of Ghana took over 2yrs before him, and killed all the corrupt leaders, while GMB merely gave his own, long-term jail sentences. We didn't know that the hospitals and universities around the country never witnessed as much benefits they got from the PTF from any government after or before his time. We did not know, that this man haven been in all the oil sectors in Nigeria, has no petrol station, much less a refinery or an oil rig like so many of our leaders. We never voted him, because we did not know.

I am very sure you were either not around when buhari was rulling or too young to understand what was happening then. Buhari as military leader was too ignorant to run a country, as head of PTF buhari was to sectional to run a national organisation like the ptf. If there is a ministry on Northern Nigeria, Buhari might fit in, but I doubt if he can even do a good job in such a ministry. When buhari was ruling as head of state, Nigerians had to queue up for days to get essential commodities, and what were the essential commodities then, Omo (soap), rice, bread and vegetable oil. People collapsed and died from hunger and exhaustion from those queues, offcourse you were too young to notice.

The man crumbled Nigeria economy in a few weeks on entering. Nigerians generally do not commit suicide, but during Buhari regime, Nigerians were commiting suicide. Soldiers trampled on peoples rights, flogging people on the street, breaking into departmental shops and forcing the owners to sell their goods below their cost price, what a way to bring down inflation. Ofcourse the departmental stores like Kingsway left, and were replaced by kiosks. What also left was foreign confidence in the Nigeria as a country, no one wanted to risk coming to a place were the govt can trample on their rights, and the result today is very high unemployment because of lack of foreign investment beside oil exploration.

Buhari is a dictator and tribal leader.

His period as head of PTF was very unfortunate. He was among those who asked for ptf to be established just because ompadec was establish to use 1.5% of oil derivation money for the Niger delta. As head of ptf, Buhari installed project billboards in the south and did projects in the north. What a silly and sectional thing to do. He is among those who for decades, did not believe that the Niger delta needed extra money to counter the effect of oil exploration and just because ompadec got 1.5% derivation fund to cater for the oil producing communities, they founded PTF for the northerners. Nigeria does not need leaders who think of what their region can get from the nation, rather those who think of what their region can contribute to the overall development of the nation.

Nigeria does not need buhari

right now let him meet the northerners to vote for him, southerners are not in thesame country with him and he should not ask for southern vote.

THe president nigerian needs is the one who will see the who country as his constituent, not tribal, religious or sectional leaders.

Buhari should contest as head of ACF not as president of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by AbuMaryam1(m): 10:01am On Feb 15, 2011
I've never been fan of Buhari, due to some to some resentment, but from today i have join the train, What i hate from the guy is he is too stiff, and in a democratic society you have to give room for other things, to make things balance. I wish electorate right will take him to villa, grin grin grin grin
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Xfactoria: 10:28am On Feb 15, 2011
dayokanu:

1) We didnt Vote for him, because we didnt know.

2) We didnt know that he supervised and birthed our only existing refineries.

3)We didnt know that what he did in road construction while in the PTF hasnt beenmatched by 12yrs of the PDP, even though we claimed they were lopsided.

4)We didnt know that in his time ashead of state he reduced inflation from 23% to 4%, by fiscal discipline and a homegrown economic team (not achieved under any other era, even military).

5)We didnt know that there wasno religious crisis while he led.

6)We didnt know that JJ Rawlings ofGhana took over 2yrs before him, and killed all the corrupt leaders, whileGMB merely gave his own, long term jail sentences.

7)We didnt know that the hospitals and universities around the country neverwitnessed as much benefits they got from the PTF from any government after or before his time.

coolWe did not know, that this man had been in all the oil sectors in Nigeria, has No Petrol Station, much less a refinery or an oil rig like so many of our leaders.

We never voted him, because we did not know.
Now YOU Know…
Join Us today if you want to know more, thediscussions are getting heated search on Facebook “Buhari Bakare 2011 Volunteers Group” Contact us:buharibakare2011@groups.facebook.com www.facebook.com/adeolu.akinyemi

As impressive as these points may be, Buhari is not the only Nigerian that has tasted power unblemished. He is 69yrs old and we have a younger version of him in NUHU RIBADU - He does not own filling stations or any company and has demonstrated incorruptibility in the Ibori $15m bribe.

Why can't Buhari launch a campaign for Ribadu? Why can't he support a young and more energetic man like this? I seem to get the impression that Buhari is all about self-ambition than anything; the reason why he has never stepped down for anyone in his political history.

Then, all these points would not dispprove the fact that he has been a sectional leader all his life; placing the interest of the North West above all others.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Genbuhari3: 10:42am On Feb 15, 2011
x-factor,

you dont understand the fact that Ribadu is a young version of Buhari. what elders see when sitting down, the young cannot see when standing up. Ribadu will commit same errors a young Buhari commited in 1983-1985. we agree ribadu is ok, but he still has in him a lot of arrogance, and intolerance. he has not even won the presidential election and he is already fighting with his benefactors in ACN who got the ticket for him.

and that is why Buhari is it. he is wiser and more tolerant now, as for age, his deputy (bakare) is younger and will be the face of that government just like tunde idagbon was. buhari is a media shy guy, loves working in the background, giving direction and vision.

Bakare is already showing the stuff he is bringing to the ticket. facebook fan page growing every minutes, pictures of buhari's interaction with pastor adeboye and other stakeholders, pictures of buhari's modest family and other campaign tools - have you seen the campaign website?

as for OGB

Well your case needs no answer. keep locked in the past lies fed into your brain! everybody has a good and a bad side. let's place your candidate beside Buhari and see who is better? and please integrity and honesty is the first criteria! It is only because of the existence of the devil, that is why we prefer GOD. so bring it on.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Arosa(m): 10:44am On Feb 15, 2011
nuhu ribadu is betta!
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Genbuhari3: 11:11am On Feb 15, 2011
Ribadu's arrogance will know no bounds if he wins on his first try. he is already showing this with ACN leadership when he has not even won the presidency.

Have you seen the way that guy talks? telling people to go and see what he did in EFCC! EFFC is just a commision, not even a Ministry?

So he did better than Dora in NAFDAC?

I will rather go for his older, wiser and more calm version - Buhari.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 15, 2011
But we also know that it was Buhari who led the coupists who truncated our democarcy in the second republic!
He built the platform for the dark days of IBB and Abacha. He was not democratic but rather tyrical and obstinate (He still is).

We know that he forced down the prices of goods but not with economics (does he know any?), but with gun.
This was the experience:

"Iheanacho (not his real name), lives in Port Harocurt and he has a super market. He ordered for goods which he paid cash and the goods arrived over the weekend". First thing on Monday morning, he was in his shop to start business as usuall. A "customer" comes in and asked for a tin of peak milk, Iheanacho who bought the peak milk N450, says its N500. The "customer" then brings out ID card, and identifies himslf as a price task force officer. He arrests Ihenanacho, carry away his goods and locks up his shop. Iheanacho then is brutalised by soldiers and he has nobody to run to. No law can protect him because Buhari had abolished the laws of our land (which is the only hope for the common man)".

Maybe one day, we will have the opportunity to set up a commision of enquiry to find out what informed soldiers, who turned the gun given to them (by our constituion,to protect us and our costituion) against us and our constitution.

Those voting Buhari are either ignorant or are simply reacting to more of emotions than reasoning.

Buhari can make a good commander of a battalion, he can make a good NSA but he is not material for the Office of the President.

1 Like

Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Nsiman(m): 11:33am On Feb 15, 2011
Buhari didn't take the law into his hands because of his sectional nature that a northerner won. Now we have the north and south dichotomy, i'm busy i'll be right back
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 15, 2011
link=topic=605263.msg7733661#msg7733661 date=1297765998]
Buhari didn't take the law into his hands because of his sectional nature that a northerner won. Now we have the north and south dichotomy, i'm busy i'll be right back
[quote][/quote]

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-604959.64.html[quote author=Nsiman
If only they can agree for us to spilt without another war. I don't trust Buhari.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by karlmax2: 11:53am On Feb 15, 2011
EAR                                   INFLATION RATE %

1970                                      13.8                       

1971                                      16                    

1972                                        3.2                  

1973                                        5.2                  

1974                                      13.4                

1975                                       33.9               

1976                                       21.2               

1977                                       15.4                   

1978                                       16.6                  

1979                                       11.8               

1980                                         9.9                 

1981                                       20.9              

1982                                         7.7               

1983                                       23.2               

1984                                       39.6                    

1985                                         5.5                        

1986                                       5.4 2                

1987                                      10.2                 

1988                                       38.2               

1989                                       40.9      

(Above Data:Central Bank of Nigeria Statistical bulletin).     Naira was very strong in 1970s and early 1980s even with high inflation. Why this scenario? Because of financial and economic mismanagement, incoherent and uncoordinated monetary and fiscal policies. Together with overtly importation as Nigeria became the center of the dumping of foreign made commodities. It does look like that the party will last forever but then comes the oil bust and the crash of the oil price. Nigeria went on borrowing insanity to appease her spending appetite. Then it happened: IMF stepped
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by karlmax2: 12:02pm On Feb 15, 2011
Buhari took over in 1983 dec check the inflation rate when he took over and 1984 when he left how did he reduce inflation from 23% TO 4% or it grew to 39% becos of massive corruptio in his regime u people go about writing trash without check facts
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Genbuhari3: 12:54pm On Feb 15, 2011
Keep it up guys.

I just wonder why Anti-Buhari people are now more vocal than ever before! and i can't even hear of the sharia angle again. now another bloody angle you guys are bringing up, bunch of lies.

if i may ask Karl Marx. what month in 1983 did Buhari take over? December 31, 1983. so he achieved in 1 year a reduction in inflation.

and for all your bloody lies and propaganda, i leave you with WIKIPEDIA Data on Buhari, and note the link - it came from BBC.

Muhammadu BuhariFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (December 2008)
This article is written like an advertisement. Please help rewrite this article from a neutral point of view. For blatant advertising that would require a fundamental rewrite to become encyclopedic, use {{db-spam}} to mark for speedy deletion. (December 2010)
Major-General Muhammadu Buhari

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7th Head of State of Nigeria
In office
December 31, 1983 – August 27, 1985
Preceded by Shehu Shagari
Succeeded by Ibrahim Babangida

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chairman Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.[1]
In office
June 1978 – July 1978
Preceded by Shehu Shagari
Succeeded by Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida

Minister For Petroleum and Natural Resources
In office
March 1976 – June 1978
Preceded by Unknown
Succeeded by Unknown

Governor of North-Eastern State of Nigeria
In office
August 1975 – March 1976
Preceded by Musa Usman
Succeeded by None as State Became Defunct

Born December 17, 1942 (1942-12-17) (age 68)
Katsina state, Nigeria
Nationality Nigerian
Political party Military/Congress for Progressive Change (CPC)
Religion Islam
Muhammadu Buhari (born December 17, 1942) was the military ruler of Nigeria (December 31, 1983 - August 27, 1985) and an unsuccessful candidate for president in the April 19, 2003 presidential election. His ethnic background is Fulani and his faith is Islam; his family is from Katsina State.

Contents [hide]
1 Minister of Petroleum
2 Chad
3 Buhari Administration
3.1 Members
4 1985 Coup and Overthrow
5 Later years
6 External links
7 References

[edit] Minister of PetroleumBuhari first came to limelight in 1975 when He became the Minister (or "Federal Commissioner"wink for Petroleum and Natural Resources under then-Head of State General Olusegun Obasanjo. Before then he was the Governor of the newly created North Eastern State of Nigeria during the regime of Murtala Mohammed. He later became head of the newly created Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.[2] in 1977[3]

[edit] Chad This biographical section of an article needs additional citations for verification. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (October 2010)

In 1983 Chadian soldiers invaded and took 19 islands in Lake Chad within Nigerian territory. The then Brigadier Buhari, who was the General Officer Commanding commanding the 3rd Armoured Division (which he did from November 1981 - December 1983) successfully carried out a blockade of Chad. After which all the territories were returned. The Nigerian Army under Buhari then pursued the Chadian Army as far as 50 km into Chadian territory. The 21st Armoured Brigade carried out the blockade and the fighting.

[edit] Buhari AdministrationMajor-General Buhari was selected [/size][size=8pt][size=8pt][/size]to lead the country by middle and high-ranking military officers after a successful military coup d'etat that overthrew civilian President Shehu Shagari on December 31, 1983. Buhari was appointed Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, and Tunde Idiagbon was appointed Chief of General Staff (the de facto #2 in the administration). Buhari justified the military's seizure of power by castigating the civilian government as hopelessly corrupt, and his administration subsequently initiated a public campaign against indiscipline known as "War Against Indiscipline (WAI)." Despite authoritarian tendencies, the campaign is still lauded by many to have instilled the most orderly conduct of public and private affairs in Nigeria since its independence in 1960.[citation needed]

[edit] MembersThe Buhari Cabinet
OFFICE NAME TERM

Head of State Muhammadu Buhari 1984–1985
Chief of Staff Tunde Idiagbon 1984–1985

Defense Domkat Bali 1984–1985

Agriculture Bukar Shuaib 1984–1985

Trade Mahmud Tukur 1984–1985

Communications A Abdullahi, Lt Col 1984–1985

Education Yarima Ibrahim 1984–1985

Finance Onaolapo Soleye 1984–1985

Abuja Mamman Jiya Vatsa 1984–1985

Health Emmanuel Nsan 1984–1985

Internal Affairs Mohammed Magoro 1984–1985

Foreign Affairs Ibrahim Gambari 1984–1985

Minister of Information Sam Omeruah 1984–1985

Transportation Abdullahi Ibrahim 1984–1985

Energy Tam David-West 1984–1985

Justice Chike Offodile 1984–1985

Works Patrick Koshoni 1984–1985
[edit] 1985 Coup and OverthrowBuhari was himself overthrown in a coup led by General Ibrahim Babangida on August 27, 1985 and other members of the ruling Supreme Military Council (SMC) ostensibly because he insisted on investigating allegations of fraudulent award of contracts in the Ministry of Defense.[4] If that investigation had been carried through, it is believed that many senior military officers would have been implicated.[citation needed] Buhari's insistence on this investigation was to become his fait accompli. A Palace Coup was planned and carried out by Gen Ibrahim Babangida and some senior military officers whose necks were heading for the chopping block following the conclusion of the investigation.[citation needed] Without a doubt, this would have become Buhari's and Idiagbon's most bitter and shocking lesson on how endemic and widespread corruption had become in Nigeria.[citation needed][edit] Later yearsBuhari served as the Chairman of the Petroleum Trust Fund, a body created by the Government of General Abacha, and funded from the revenue generated by the increase in price of petroleum products from , to pursue developmental projects around the country. His transparent and efficient handling of this agency endeared him to Nigerians.

In 2003, Buhari contested the Presidential election[5] as the candidate of the All Nigeria People's Party (ANPP). He was defeated by the People's Democratic Party nominee, President Olusẹgun Ọbasanjọ, by a margin of more than eleven million votes. It was claimed by Mr Buhari's supporters and other members of the opposition that out that in some states, like Ebonyi, there were more votes than there were actually registered voters [6][7] Although some allegations of fraud were conclusively proven in the courts and the conduct of the election was criticized by the same Commonwealth body that criticized the recent Zimbabwean Elections - Commonwealth Observer Group,[8] the consensus among Nigerians was that he should not waste his time in court as he did not have the necessary resources to "buy" himself justice. Eventually, the same court also decided that the level of proven electoral fraud was not sufficient to affect the outcome of the election and to warrant the cancellation of the whole Presidential election.

On 18 December 2006, Gen. Buhari was nominated as the consensus candidate of the All Nigeria People's Party. His main challenger in the April 2007 polls was the ruling PDP candidate, Umaru Yar'Adua, who also hails from the same home state - Katsina. In the election, Buhari officially took 18% of the vote against 70% for Yar'Adua, but Buhari rejected these results.[9] After Yar'Adua took office, the ANPP agreed to join his government, but Buhari denounced this agreement.[10]

Retired General Muhammadu Buhari, who is also the presidential candidate for one of Nigeria's main opposition parties, the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) will now face other Presidential candidates in the upcoming April 2011 general election, amongst them are President Goodluck Jonathan of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) and Mallam Nuhu Ribadu[11] of Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN).

[edit] External linksOfficial Site
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/3421277.stm
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by karlmax2: 1:15pm On Feb 15, 2011
@gen buhari ur name sake and is brother patners in crime abacha,ibb birds of the same feather on dec 1 1983 go the and becos of sharing formular of wealth he was removed by his paddys abacha and ibb in 1984 then check our CBN wedsite for inflation rate during that period not bbc hardtalk or hausa services then tell me how he reduced inflation from 24% to 4% that is the issue am hammering on pls no name callings
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Genbuhari3: 1:53pm On Feb 15, 2011
I will call you name man. you seek figures yet you cant interprete them!

Buhari took over december 31, 1983, and from your figures, inflation was on the upward trend when he took over. this went up in his first year in office (traceable to the hang over of the corrupt and inept shagari regime), but by 2nd year it has dropped to 5%!

so what do you want me to know?

you want to know how he did that? it's an assignment for you, research more. I have done mine and that informed my decision to vote for him oga.

I can only give you a tip. you dont open up your country to world bank, imf and their bloody sap.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by MaiSuya(m): 1:54pm On Feb 15, 2011
ogb5:

His period as head of PTF was very unfortunate. He was among those who asked for ptf to be established just because ompadec was establish to use 1.5% of oil derivation money for the Niger delta. As head of ptf, Buhari installed project billboards in the south and did projects in the north. What a silly and sectional thing to do. He is among those who for decades, did not believe that the Niger delta needed extra money to counter the effect of oil exploration and just because ompadec got 1.5% derivation fund to cater for the oil producing communities, they founded PTF for the northerners. Nigeria does not need leaders who think of what their region can get from the nation, rather those who think of what their region can contribute to the overall development of the nation.
eria.

ronically, such hasty and ill-thought out decision ultimately made Nigerians to regret the absence of PTF.  With PTF gone, Nigeria went back to past practice of corruption, greed and lack of due process in contract awards.  In 2001 alone, N350 billion naira was allocated to the Federal Ministry of Works but at the end of the day, there was nothing to show for it.  But the PTF achieved better results with just N30 billion naira allocated to it for executing projects throughout the entire nation.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by juman(m): 3:22pm On Feb 15, 2011
PDP = Nigerians enemy No 1.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by dayokanu(m): 5:49pm On Feb 15, 2011
karl max:

@gen buhari your name sake and is brother patners in crime abacha,ibb birds of the same feather on dec 1 1983 go the and becos of sharing formular of wealth he was removed by his paddys abacha and ibb in 1984 then check our CBN wedsite for inflation rate during that period not bbc hardtalk or hausa services then tell me how he reduced inflation from 24% to 4% that is the issue am hammering on pls no name callings

Buhari took over government on December 31 1983. So is he responsible for 1983 figures?

In 1984, Assuming a govt starts reforms when do you think the resul would be out?

In 1985 The result of this came out at 5% and it was the lowest we have ever had since then
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Nsiman(m): 8:09pm On Feb 15, 2011
Among the regions/states that existed then, mention each state/region and project(s) executed by ptf that u claim N30b was used to execute projects accross the nation. I'm waiting
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Genbuhari3: 8:13pm On Feb 15, 2011
NSIMAN don land for here!

everybody run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by karlmax2: 8:53pm On Feb 15, 2011
Oh is not 24% to 4% as u claim on ur post mr dayokanu and gen buhari.than God and allah for for their intervention through IBB and IMF on 27 of aug 1985 when inflation was at his highest. U say u work @gen buhari u say work in a multinational company u should knw the diffrence between a closed economy that ur mentor ran as against an open economy that IBB ran,ibb and IMF made things happen as I said go to CBN web site and see our inflation rate as at the third  quater of the regime and come back and blab I will soon post IBB august 27 coup speech on why ur mentor and ur saint was removed from office.come and comment on the issues he raised on the speech

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari’s SGF Spends N65 Million On OSGF WEBSITE / Fayose Threatens To Sue EFCC, Demands N20bn, Public Apology For Placing Him On W / Amotekun Combs South-West Forests For Fleeing Terrorists From The North-West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.