Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,508 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:50 PM

UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) (21580 Views)

Poll: Who Wins This Match?

Arsenal: 48% (73 votes)
Barcelona: 46% (70 votes)
Draw: 4% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

PSG Vs Chelsea : UCL (2 - 1) On 16th February 2016 / Preston Vs Manchester United FA Cup (1 - 3) On 16th February 2015 / Arsenal Vs Everton Fc On Tuesday Feb 1st, 2011 (2-1 Final Score) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by mukina2: 10:48am On Feb 15, 2011
Arsenal:  Possible starting XI: Szczesny; Eboue, Koscielny, Djourou, Clichy; Song, Wilshere; Walcott, Fabregas, Arshavin; Van Persie.

Barcelona: Possible starting XI: Valdes; Dani Alves, Pique, Abidal, Maxwell; Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta; Villa, Messi, Pedro.

TEAM NEWS
Arsenal
Samir Nasri is expected to return for the Gunners having recovered from a hamstring problem, although manager Arsene Wenger has yet to confirm if he will begin the game or be forced to settle for a place on the bench.

Abou Diaby is a doubt with a calf strain, as is Denilson who has a hamstring problem, and both players could join Thomas Vermaelen and Lukasz Fabianksi on the injured list.

Bacary Sagna is suspended after his red card against Partizan Belgrade in the final group game, which means Emmanuel Eboue should come in at right-back to replace the Frenchman.

Barcelona
The Spanish champions have few injury concerns and should recall Sergio Busquets, Eric Abidal and Pedro Rodríguez who were all rested for the weekend draw with Sporting Gijon.

However, the Catalans will still be without Carles Puyol who is struggling with a knee injury picked up in January and Jeffren who has a muscle tear.

Familiar foes renew rivalry
Arsenal welcome Barcelona to the Emirates for the second consecutive season hoping to avenge last season’s 6-3 aggregate defeat that sent them tumbling out of the Champions League.

Yet they face a daunting task with manager Arsene Wenger admitting the Catalans have improved from last season. However, having won all three group games at home, scoring 14 goals in the process, the Gunners should not lack confidence.

Certainly the north Londoners are in better shape this time around with striker Robin van Persie fit and firing, Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott growing in maturity, Cesc Fabregas still resisting Barcelona's overtures and the influential Samir Nasri their only real injury worry.

However, there are still signs of vulnerability at Arsenal, particularly at the back, as seen so recently at Newcastle when they threw away a four goal lead, which they will need to eradicate if they are to oust the side their skipper, Fabregas, calls “the best team in the world”.

A sporting chance?
Barcelona, meanwhile, travel to London on the back of a draw to Sporting Gijon, a shock result when you consider the Spanish champions had won their last 16 games on the bounce and one that prompted Pep Guardiola to cancel training on Sunday.

Yet there is more good news for Arsenal fans as the statistics show that Barcelona have been far from invincible on their travels in Europe this season, winning just one of their three group games and indeed only three of their last nine Champions League away matches.

Of course that is ignoring the fact that Barcelona have swept past practically everything placed in front of them on the domestic front, including hammering Real Madrid 5-0 and scoring 71 goals already in La Liga to lead the table by five points.

The Catalans have also never lost to Arsenal in the Champions League in five attempts, winning three and drawing two, and on current form will be strong favourites to maintain that unbeaten record and once again progress at the expense of the Gunners.

Match
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by allboyz(m): 11:18am On Feb 15, 2011
in all Honesty. . . .Arsenal wins!!

4 - 2

Cesc
Rvp
Theo
Johan / Kos / Bendtner

Pedro & Iniesta
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by jaephoenix(m): 11:23am On Feb 15, 2011
Chei,na so arsenal go 2day.well, next yr dey
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by eyoniggar(m): 11:43am On Feb 15, 2011
^^^^ LOL.

No comment. Only thing is, gonna hand my ps3 wireless pad. Its gonna be fun. cheesy
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by usbcable(m): 11:46am On Feb 15, 2011
Bros,
winning a match is not by voting but by putting the ball in the back of the net.
am rooting for arsenal tonight.
go gunners
go wenger
go emirates.
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by eyoniggar(m): 11:51am On Feb 15, 2011
^^^^^ burntcable na so abi? BAD BELLE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER.

Lyon go do wonders.
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by dalhat14(m): 12:09pm On Feb 15, 2011
A win for Arsenal, wouldnt that be fantastic
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by usbcable(m): 12:14pm On Feb 15, 2011
eyoniggar:

^^^^^ burntcable na so abi? BAD BELLE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER.

Lyon go do wonders.
now you see what I was saying earlier about beefing.
i normally woulda supported barcelona but its good you got a taste of what i was trying to point out.
now I hereby officially recall my support for arsenal and support a co laliga clubside.
but dont come back and rub it in my face because thats what my friends from catalaunya do so often.
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by eyoniggar(m): 12:17pm On Feb 15, 2011
^^^^ naaaa,stick to who u r supporting oooo. Am backing Lyon. U spose know me.
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by ddippset(m): 12:19pm On Feb 15, 2011
arsenal arsenal arsenal arsenal arsen ARSE! how many times did i call you arsenal? hmmmmm. iAM feeling like OBJ right now. i de laff!
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by ddippset(m): 12:21pm On Feb 15, 2011
i still de laff!
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 15, 2011
usbcable:

Bros,
winning a match is not by voting but by putting the ball in the back of the net.
am rooting for arsenal tonight.
go gunners
go wenger
go emirates.
See this one, ur house is on fire and u are pursuing rat! Is that not suicidal?
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by elowa: 12:32pm On Feb 15, 2011
usbcable:

now you see what I was saying earlier about beefing.
i normally woulda supported barcelona but its good you got a taste of what i was trying to point out.
now I hereby officially recall my support for arsenal and support a co laliga clubside.
but dont come back and rub it in my face because thats what my friends from catalaunya do so often.
Whoever you support doesn't matter,
90mins is def going to speak for itself.
But remb the fear of BARCA. . . . . .Mourinho can complete the rest grin
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by slap1(m): 12:45pm On Feb 15, 2011
Go Gunners! We can do it, we will do it!
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by usbcable(m): 12:47pm On Feb 15, 2011
@eyo,
o.k oooooooooo. I kuku know that you folks will ever be haters.
And we are confident and better prepared to face lyon saved any unforeseen events against levante.
@pope john paul,
where is the smoke talkless of fire. Maybe you should be aarrested for arson.
@elowa,
the fear of barcelona is the begining of nothing.
truth be told barcelona are favorites but arsene and arsenal can pull a suprise if things work out for them.
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by smilingjee(m): 12:50pm On Feb 15, 2011
Arsenal all the way!
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by ddippset(m): 12:51pm On Feb 15, 2011
my prediction- ARSENAL 2  BARCELONA 0.  (but there's a little problem here, IVE GOT MY TONGUE IN MY CHEEK!)
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by gbengress1: 12:52pm On Feb 15, 2011
Arsenal all d way.4get Barca!They are not invincible
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by neyshed: 12:53pm On Feb 15, 2011
world best players vs up-coming world best well any thing is possible sha grin grin grin
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by gbengress1: 12:54pm On Feb 15, 2011
Arsenal all d way.4get Barca!They are not invincible
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by fredoooooo: 12:55pm On Feb 15, 2011
Barca winning 90% , the remaining 10% for Arsenal only if luck is against Barca ,   at emirate draw is sure but camp nou arsenal should forget it , BARCA MOVING TO THE NEXT STAGE
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by ddippset(m): 12:59pm On Feb 15, 2011
its been a cold war btw arse and barca. i did not realize until now that arsenal fans are very good in forums and oppinion polls. they can argue and be so united on paper and the internet. SO its obvious that the trophies they CANNOT win on a football pitch they might win on nairaland, goal.com etc
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by Dukechimi: 1:01pm On Feb 15, 2011
Ass-nal,  cry try again nxt season
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by neyshed: 1:05pm On Feb 15, 2011
I didn't no u are good at narrating @dd
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by medjai(m): 1:32pm On Feb 15, 2011
Eyes have not seen, neither has it entered into the heart of any man what the Blaugrana have in store for Arsenal
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by seedord247(m): 1:36pm On Feb 15, 2011
shey arsenal don buy their casket down cus na death tomorrow
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by semid4lyfe(m): 2:22pm On Feb 15, 2011
Don't support any European football club but I've got an acute case of underdog syndrome so I'll be rooting for Arsenal wink
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by hbrednic: 2:35pm On Feb 15, 2011
sorryy 4 arsenal grin
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by Nobody: 3:08pm On Feb 15, 2011
ARSENAL 2 _0 BARCA GO ARSENAL,GO EL DI CAPTAIN, OLORI ODO FABRIGAS,GO WENGER GO ARSENAL FANS VICTORY IS SURE IJN KUDOS TO ALL ARSENAL FANS OUT THERE EGBE YI DUN JOOOOOOOOO
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by bigfather(m): 3:50pm On Feb 15, 2011
MESSI 3- arsenal 0 ! grin
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by renewnaija(m): 3:58pm On Feb 15, 2011
I am a fan of football first then of Arsenal and in all honesty I would like Barca to remain in Champions League to ensure I watch their glorious play hopefully for quite some time.

Well, Arsenal, where do i start?

Our leaky defence? or lack of a good bench? or tactically naive coach who fights fire with fire?
C'mon we cnt even defend a 4 goal lead & a man down is a lame excuse. I know dis is football & anything cn happen like a red card or injury which would alter the whole game/s completely but as a true fan of the beautiful game, I would like Barca to proceed.  Arsenal fans, lets be realistic & focus on all domestic trophies (treble). Lets just enjoy playing one of the greatest teams ever & maybe fight till d end, wteva d outcome may be.

From a realistic Arsenal fan
Re: UCL: Arsenal Vs Barcelona On Wednesday 16th February 2011 (2 - 1!) by vicade(m): 4:00pm On Feb 15, 2011
Arsenal is gonna make it to the next round believe that.

Football is Ninety Minutes Home and Away plus Added time. Events of the past dont matter> what matters is what happens within the Ninety minutes plus added time home and away.
IF RVP,CESC,SONG,NASRI,DJOROU and WALCOTT all make it to the Second Leg then i fear for barca cos Arsenal on their day can destroy any team and so can barca so it depends on who comes to the party

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Liverpool Vs Leeds (1 - 2) Live / Leicester City Vs Chelsea (1 - 2) On 9th September 2017 / Watford vs Liverpool (3 - 3) On 12th August 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.