Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,862 members, 7,798,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:35 AM

Protest Begins In Libya - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Protest Begins In Libya (7604 Views)

Russia Begins Air Strikes In Syria Against ISIS / French Military Jet Opens Fire In Libya. / Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protest Begins In Libya by Nobody: 11:18am On Feb 16, 2011
Hundreds of protesters took to the streets of Libya Wednesday in the first sign that the unrest which toppled governments in neighboring Tunisia and Egypt has spread to the North African nation.

Witnesses said protesters in the eastern port city of Benghazi chanted slogans demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi.

The Associated Press said that the crowds did not appear to direct their anger at Moammar Gadhafi, who is Africa's longest-serving leader. He has ruled for 41 years.

However, Dubai-based television news service Al-Jazeera reported that sources said the demonstrators chanted slogans against the "corrupt rulers of the country."

Al-Jazeera said the protesters had called on citizens to observe Thursday as a "Day of Rage," hoping to emulate the popular uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia and end Gadhafi's regime.

As in the previous uprisings, Libyan activists were using social networking websites including Facebook.

Libya's state-run Juna news agency did not carry any word of Wednesday's anti-government protests.

It reported only that supporters of Gadhafi were holding pro-government demonstrations in Tripoli, Benghazi and other cities.

It said people taking part held up portraits of Gadhafi and chanted: "We sacrifice our blood and souls for you our leader!" and "We are a generation built by Moammar and anyone who opposes it will be destroyed!"

However, the online edition of Libya's privately-owned Quryna newspaper, which is based in Benghazi, said a crowd armed with Molotov cocktails threw stones.

'A bad night'
It said they protested outside a local government office to demand the release of the human rights activist, and then went to the city's Shajara square where they clashed with police and government supporters.

The paper that government supporters had taken over the square. Fourteen people were injured including 10 police officers, but none of the injuries were serious, the newspaper added.

A video clip posted online by someone who said it was recorded in Benghazi on Tuesday night showed a crowd of people outside what looked like a government building chanting: "No God but God!" and "Corruption is the enemy of God."

A Benghazi resident contacted by Reuters said the people involved in the clashes were relatives of inmates in Tripoli's Abu Salim jail, where militant Islamists and government opponents have traditionally been held.

Some were relatives of inmates killed at the prison in June 1996, when more than 1,000 prisoners were shot dead.

"Last night was a bad night," said the witness, who did not want to be identified.

"There were about 500 or 600 people involved. They went to the revolutionary committee (local government headquarters) in Sabri district, and they tried to go to the central revolutionary committee , They threw stones," he said. "It is calm now."

Following the rioting, a local human rights activist, Mohamed Ternish, told Reuters that the government was to release 110 prisoners jailed for membership of the banned Libyan Islamic Fighting Group.

The prisoners are the last members of the group still being held, he added.

On Monday, several opposition groups in exile called for the overthrow of Gadhafi and for a peaceful transition of power in Libya.

"Col. Gadhafi and all his family members should relinquish powers," the groups said in a statement.

Idris Al-Mesmari, a Libyan novelist, told Al-Jazeera by telephone that security officials dressed as civilians used tear gas, batons and hot water to disperse the protesters.

The news service added there were unconfirmed reports that Al-Mesmari was arrested hours after the interview.

An Egyptian blogger, Mohammed Maree, told Al-Jazeera that Gadhafi's government "continues to treat the Libyan people with lead and fire."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41615596/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa

information from libya has it that there is tension everywhere as protesters are gradually trooping to the street to deman Gadaffi's resignation though the police is on top of the situation but many protesters are still on the street with injuries. More Info as i get more calls thru but check Al Jazeera
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 16, 2011
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by oludashmi(f): 2:48pm On Feb 16, 2011
Hmmn, so it finally got to Libya
41 years? shocked shocked shocked shocked
These guys are taking political posts to be royal reign
All of this cant happen in Naija lailai. . .one head of state/president for 22 yrs, 30yrs, 41yrs undecided
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by kodewrita(m): 2:51pm On Feb 16, 2011
Finally the mustachioed idiot is getting what he deserves.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by JUO(m): 2:53pm On Feb 16, 2011
time up for u
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by deboski4u: 3:08pm On Feb 16, 2011
i have my doubts if they will suceed
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by morzook(m): 3:09pm On Feb 16, 2011
this is one place where the protest won't work, Gadaffi is not a man to be easily cowed
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by OWOLAYEMO: 3:10pm On Feb 16, 2011
I hope it works in the land of Ghadafi, that will send a strong signal to all despot worldwide
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Nobody: 3:13pm On Feb 16, 2011
But G. O Pastor Adeboye said protests do not work. Imagine this statement, this is the dumbest statement in the world
"PRAYERS CAN MOVE MOUNTAINS. PROTESTING OUTSIDE THE GOVT HOUSE, HOW MUCH HAS IT ACHIEVED? YOU GO THERE, YOU CARRY PLACARDS[SMILES] AND IF YOU ARE FORTUNATE, YOU RETURN HOME ALIVE, IF YOU ARE NOT FORTUNATE, SOME OVERZEALOUS POLICE OFFICERS MIGHT ACCIDENTALLY DISCHARGE SOME BULLETS ON YOU, AND AFTER, YOU CAN PROTEST A DAY AFTER, AND AFTER SOMETIME, YOU GET TIRED" DADDY G.O/ADEBOYE CNN INTERVIEW
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Tokotaya: 3:17pm On Feb 16, 2011
The rise of social networking sites and the fall of despotic governments. Hope Nigeria is watching.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 16, 2011
Time up for Gadaffi and all is crooked family members, African leaders na wa oooo,  41 years of rulling, na your papa get libya, abi you dey there when God lay the corner stone of libya.

Libyan Protester, God is right behind you and you will top Gadaffi very soon in Jesus Name, Christ is coming your way soon.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by EzeUche2(m): 3:20pm On Feb 16, 2011
Very good for the Libyan people and Africa as a whole. The way he has financed many rebel movements within African states, should not be forgotten. Just ask the Ethiopians.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Tokotaya: 3:25pm On Feb 16, 2011
@Aishat, First, It's unAfrican to insult elders. Second, this is a man of God, highly regarded locally and internationally for striving for righteousness. You can actually criticise without being rude. You can disagree with a view without calling the owner of such a view dumb. Just a thought you should consider.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by kodewrita(m): 3:26pm On Feb 16, 2011
aisha2:

But G. O Pastor Adeboye said protests do not work. Imagine this statement, this is the dumbest statement in the world
"PRAYERS CAN MOVE MOUNTAINS. PROTESTING OUTSIDE THE GOVT HOUSE, HOW MUCH HAS IT ACHIEVED? YOU GO THERE, YOU CARRY PLACARDS[SMILES] AND IF YOU ARE FORTUNATE, YOU RETURN HOME ALIVE, IF YOU ARE NOT FORTUNATE, SOME OVERZEALOUS POLICE OFFICERS MIGHT ACCIDENTALLY DISCHARGE SOME BULLETS ON YOU, AND AFTER, YOU CAN PROTEST A DAY AFTER, AND AFTER SOMETIME, YOU GET TIRED" DADDY G.O/ADEBOYE CNN INTERVIEW

You big monkey, he was referring to the nigerian context. do you think protests have ever achieved anything in this country? even the mammoth june 12 1993 protests went nowhere.

In you rush to be bigoted and fanatic, you ignored that. next time, pay more attention to the context and not just the message.

try unseating your local government chairman with a protest and see whether adeboye was wrong.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by seunlayi(m): 3:30pm On Feb 16, 2011
kodewrita:

You big monkey, he was referring to the nigerian context. do you think protests have ever achieved anything in this country? even the mammoth june 12 1993 protests went nowhere.

In you rush to be bigoted and fanatic, you ignored that. next time, pay more attention to the context and not just the message.

try unseating your local government chairman with a protest and see whether adeboye was wrong.
LAUGHING
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 16, 2011
Tokotaya:

@Aishat, First, It's unAfrican to insult elders. Second, this is a man of God, highly regarded locally and internationally for striving for righteousness. You can actually criticise without being rude. You can disagree with a view without calling the owner of such a view dumb. Just a thought you should consider.
Its dumb and stupid and misleading, i stand by it. Sue me, so people being oppressed should curl up in fear and die cos they are afraid of all the excuses he listed there. I expect more of him, to speak and stand against injustice and bad governance not to give us 1 million reasons to tolerate it. I remeber clearly his role during the last days of Yadadua, when we were all marching and saying enough is enough he was going to pray for Yaradua, no which way worked, his prayers? Am not againgst praying but my bible tells me prayer without works is dead, and elders have to earn my respect. I remeber clearly his role in the Ibru and Akingbola saga, they bought him a jet with stolen money and he didnt return it after he realised it was bought with stolen money. Striving for righteouness my foot, abeg let me hear word. Am a christain before you start attacking me on religious grounds, people are dying from poverty and unemployement his advise is for them to sit and do nothing just prayers about their situation, as i said before my boble tells me prayer without works is dead. You should try putting a pot of water on the fire, dont light it and wait for it to become fried rice
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by desthan(m): 3:36pm On Feb 16, 2011
Tokotaya:

Mr Toyota,

Comment on the topic, if you have nothing to say then quietly move on.

Ain't nobody calling anybody dumb, He just made a dumb statement, there's a great difference in the two.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 16, 2011
kodewrita:

Why am i being called a bigot and fanatic, because my name is user name Aisha, i laugh at your ignorance. Anyway to answer your question, protests got jonathan sworn in as acting president. The sooner we stop being docile about our situation the better for us
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by skydeexie(m): 3:41pm On Feb 16, 2011
Yes, the chicken has finally come home to roost.
Move on people its your time!
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by againstGEJ(m): 3:46pm On Feb 16, 2011
aisha2:

and what is dumb in saying the truth?
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by johnjoel(m): 3:50pm On Feb 16, 2011
nigeria is currupt but can never allow one person to rule for 12 years not talkmore of 41 years,na their birth right
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 16, 2011
againstGEJ:

and what is dumb in saying the truth?
Its dumb because you dont just sit down speak in tongues and expect God to fight your fight, you have to do your part. Plus protests are valid ways of expressin grievances and making change. I was an active part of save Nigeria group, we protested, we advocated and Goodluck was made acting presidents, he was busy then praying for YarAdua and telling us Yardauda was fine and will be resuming work a week later
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by desthan(m): 3:52pm On Feb 16, 2011
kodewrita:

Typical hysterical, not surprising though, since the ability to see reason is impaired by prejudice and irrationality. when people are incapable of confronting an issue/situation, they resort to foul and abusive languages and this shows how shallow and lacking in substance they really are.

Its not hard to see you function on a negative interger IQ. . .

aisha2:

Why am i being called a bigot and fanatic, because my name is user name Aisha, i laugh at your ignorance. Anyway to answer your question, protests got jonathan sworn in as acting president. The sooner we stop being docile about our situation the better for us

Please remind them, even the great G.O should chew on this too. Trying to give people false hope, spit, hisses. . .  
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Parnassuss(m): 3:52pm On Feb 16, 2011
kodewrita:

You no make sense and your name calling is juvenile. Adeboye's tenet is not only illogical, it is not supported by Christianity. If Rev King could use peaceful protest to further his cause why can't we. Is Pastor Tunde Bakare a heathen for carrying placards?
Only recently the Save Nigeria Group broke Turai's hold on government. If that was not a result then a don't know what'll satisfy you. I don't expect much from the good pastor Adeboye and he never fails to deliver.
@ post, I hope they understand what they are asking for. Libya is a quagmire that is not like the rest of the Arab world simply 'liberating' them might backfire on them. `
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by againstGEJ(m): 3:53pm On Feb 16, 2011
aisha2:

Its dumb because you dont just sit down speak in tongues and expect God to fight your fight, you have to do your part. Plus protests are valid ways of expressin grievances and making change. I was an active part of save Nigeria group, we protested, we advocated and Goodluck was made acting presidents, he was busy then praying for YarAdua and telling us Yardauda was fine and will be resuming work a week later

Thank you for replying. Yet you go about banning people for using words like dumb against other members. Who will ban you now? Nobody, because you are free to say anything against anybody while we look on.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Nobody: 3:56pm On Feb 16, 2011
againstGEJ:

Thank you for replying. Yet you go about banning people for using words like dumb against other members. Who will ban you now? Nobody, because you are free to say anything against anybody while we look on.
I dont ban people Mr, i never called anyone dumb i called the statement dumb and silly not the man, and read through someone here has called me a monkey biggot and fanatic, i didnt reply with insults i replied rationally.
If you feel bad about anything on Nairaland instead of speaking out why dont you just pray abi?
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by NAJALYN: 4:02pm On Feb 16, 2011
Time up for Gadhafi. If he is not forced out he will not leave. I wonder why our African Leaders are like that. God help us.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by NAJALYN: 4:03pm On Feb 16, 2011
Time up for Gadhafi. If he is not forced out he will not leave. I wonder why our African Leaders are like that. God help us.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by desthan(m): 4:05pm On Feb 16, 2011
aisha2:

I dont ban people Mr, i never called anyone dumb i called the statement dumb and silly not the man, and read through someone here has called me a monkey biggot and fanatic, i didnt reply with insults i replied rationally.
If you feel bad about anything on Nairaland instead of speaking out why dont you just pray abi?

hahehahehahehehahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin, and fast too. . . .

spot on jor. . . .
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by Nobody: 4:11pm On Feb 16, 2011
kodewrita:

@kodewriter - (i wonder the kind of codes you write with such an empty brain!)Its stupid, idiotic and brainless morons like you that fail to see people like GO Adeboye, chris Oyaks and rest of them wolves in sheep clothing as the real enemies of the people!. Morons like you fail to notice they are agents the government use to keep the people docile while they rape our wealth and share it with them demonic pastors!

The protest is coming to Nigeria real soon and as your bible rightly predicted, judgment will start from the house of god!

@Aisha! don't get discouraged by any of those morons, keep saying it as you see it.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by delegiwa(m): 4:13pm On Feb 16, 2011
I can't believe that a post on Libya is degenerating into our usual religious bantering.  What has Gadhaffi's Libya got to do with Nigerian biko?  With the way we are discussing this matter, let me ask you Aisha2, how do u think we can ever come out and stand together against an oppresive govt talkless of demonstrating against the said government.  As a mod, my thinking is that you should've have handled that your post more maturedly knowing our different religious background and the kind of issues it generates.

BTW, it will be hard for the type of demonstration in Egypt and Tunisia to happen here in 9ja for reasons I think is very obvious.
Re: Protest Begins In Libya by kodewrita(m): 4:15pm On Feb 16, 2011
OK. I take back the monkey, fanatic and other offensive comments, but that still doesnt change the fact that you cant unseat anyone in this country by protests.

GEJ got in NOT because of your protests BUT because of fancy maneuvering by himself and cohorts.

As for Save Nigeria Group breaking the hold of Turai, it was bound to happen irrespective of whether she tried to hold on. She failed because the power elite did not support it, not because you carried paper umbrellas and amused yourself in abuja.

Try it here in Nigeria and then we will believe you.

unseat your LG Chairman with placards or recall JUST ONE senator with popular protest and then we can agree.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

American Soldiers Molesting Iraqi Woman (pictures) / See Lavish Lifestyle Of Mariam, Daughter Of Gambia’s President, Yahya Jammeh / Al Qaeda Looking To Target Planes In Europe, UK Security Minister Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.