Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:50 AM

Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. (102244 Views)

Man Pictured Near Edge Of Zimbabwe’s Victoria Falls Before 350-foot Death Drop / XENOPHOBIA: Nigerians Find Safe Havens In Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Others / Vadoma: The Ostrich People Of Zimbabwe Who Have Just Two Toes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Vixlot: 10:08am On Aug 18, 2020
My Experience in Zimbabwe.

I did something in Zimbabwe and I am wondering who will be stupid enough to do such in Nigeria.*

We hired a car (Hyundai Elantra 2018) from Europcar for six (6) months. On my departure day, I drove it to the airport, but the car hire office was closed. My flight was just two (2) hours, so no chance of taking it back to town.

While thinking of what to do, a young man (Jack) who identified himself as a staff of Caresafe taxi service at the airport told me that Europcar have closed the office due to Lockdown. He offered to help me in returning the car to Europcar office in the city. All he needed was call credit to contact them.
I gave him equivalent of 300NGN for the call credit. I then parked the car, gave him the key, took a picture of his ID and returned to Nigeria.

By close of the day, I recieved a mail from Europcar that the car has been returned.

Though, I didn't know the Jack and there was no way of tracing him except by his work ID which was not verified, my mind was at rest that he will hand over the car to the car hire. I trusted him because he's a Zimbabwean. He may be extremely poor and hungry, I know he's contented.

Despite the poor economy, people still leave their wares outside on the table till the next day without fear. WHO DARE TRY THIS IN NIGERIA?

This is not about the government or politics, but the people.
These people respect the law. For my six(6) months stay, i heard no single report of crime in the city. The police are unarmed except for stick but are highly respected.

Jack may not even be a christian. I didn't bother to ask for his religion. I didn't trust him because he mentioned the name of a God, he wore collar or carry a holy book . I trusted him because I knew the practice of his people.
If he's my country man, i dare not try that. I wonder how we descended this low as a country.

I have been suspected and severally interrogated just because I carried Nigeria passport.
This has happened in unrelated places, not because of what I have done but because of where I come from.

An officer in Lahore was once suprised he couldn't find drugs on me (a Nigerian) even after rigorous scanning.
Once you identify as a Nigerian, people see you as a potential criminal.

It is time to repair our identity.
We need to work on our value system.
We need to retrace our steps to find where we missed it.
Maybe we can be right again.

- Samkay Olorunsola

https://www.toldnetwork.com/2020/08/13/my-experience-in-zimbabwe/

741 Likes 92 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by duro4chang(m): 10:17am On Aug 18, 2020
Here people will blame the government for everything. The Zimbabwe government is as bad as ours but people are still doing the right things there. Thanks so much for this post.

1217 Likes 71 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Stalwert: 10:22am On Aug 18, 2020
duro4chang:
Here people will blame the government for everything. The Zimbabwe government is as bad as ours but people are still doing the right things there. Thanks so much for this post.

We are a funny people. Nigerians blame government for Yahoo boys crimes. We lack the concept of taking responsibility for our actions.

It is so sad our value system has fully degraded. I remember back in Primary school where we read about village where people left their wares unattended to, just pick what you want and drop the money. Today such thinking will earn you derisive laughter.

601 Likes 37 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 18, 2020
Warning: Don't try this in lagos!!

483 Likes 31 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by hisgrace090: 10:31am On Aug 18, 2020
What you experience is their original behaviour while the one in Nigeria is ours.

So many other African countries are like that, that is why once Nigerians displays their behaviour in their midst they recorgnize them immediately.

Oversabi is disturbing Nigerians!

115 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by robinso01(m): 10:46am On Aug 18, 2020
Like I do always say, government is not the problem of Nigeria, but individuals. There's no excuse to be a thief, a thief is a thief. I've seen a lot of situations where Nigerians scam each others, is the government also responsible for that also. Nigerians just have bad mentality, all we could think of is getting joy by making others cry.

280 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Finnese001: 10:56am On Aug 18, 2020
WARNING

Do not practice this at home cheesy

201 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Opexzy: 11:24am On Aug 18, 2020
I have met honest people in Nigeria too, with even a more convincing test.

I was in computer village, ikeja Lagos state to fix my phone's screen that broke. It was on a Thursday and all shops were meant to be closed due to lockdown restrictions.
Just like you know, some of them will surely still be by the roadside to hustle for customers. I was there explaining to the technician that want to fix my phone, when a car pulled over and the driver stretched out his hand and handed over his phone, (an iPhone for that matter) to the same guy to help add screen protector and a silicone case.
He paid right there and told the guy he is in a hurry to pick up someone at the airport that he would collect it when he his returning. He dropped his contact card and didn't even bother to collect the guys contact before he drove off.

Everyone was surprised including the guy, because he has never met the man before and there was no traceable location because everywhere was locked.

I think it's better you thank your star that you met a good Zimbabwean.
Just like I use to pray to always encounter good Nigerians

Bad people are everywhere likewise good people.

MODIFIED:
To those asking me if the guy ever returned his phone.
When the guy was done, he called the man and he left us in his shop to wait for him by the road side.
I would not have narrated the story if I didn't know how it ended.

I am sure at one point in time we have all met at least one good and honest Nigerian.

Reading through people's comments and some of my mentions makes it look like I am the only Nigerian on this forum. Ask yourself what would you have done if you were the Zimbabwean, it is that simple. If you are not sure, then na your body the mess dey smell.

I can boldly say this, If I were the the Zimbabwean in the OP's story I would not have done it differently.

961 Likes 93 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by aremuforlife(m): 11:47am On Aug 18, 2020
Nigerians always break trust, some believe that they are wise not knowing that they are trust breakers. Once bitten twice shy, you can only betray me onec I will.never give the chance for second time.

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by slivertongue: 12:18pm On Aug 18, 2020
our conduct lack morality.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by NaMe4: 1:05pm On Aug 18, 2020
These are now turning out to be scary facts.

We have a huge socio-cultural issue at hand in the present day Nigeria.

An average Nigerian today has a 50% chance of being perceived as dishonest just by view of the country of origin.
That had not been the trait of a Nigerian in the past, except in the last 2 to 3 decades.

Following human behavior and experience over time, certain activities that have been known to be inappropriate or even repugnant are gradually metamorphosing into culture in our own setting.

Our moral values are fast eroding!

I'm quite sure if most people look retrospectively to the last 5 days, they would pick multiple anomalies they must have come across- from 'little' things such as inflation of bills (quite common at relaxation spots/lounges) to outright extortion by personnel in government agencies (eg immigration service) to police extortion at road blocks, to unemployed citizens proposing for election rigging and 'federal might', to federal legislators and ministers fighting on minimum wage jobs in order to handover to preferred candidates (who may well be themselves!) etc.

We actually have a decadence endemic in our hands!

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 18, 2020
Is the white man trust worthy ? ...is the Chinese trust worthy? Russians ? ...u need a bit of aggressiveness to grow really ...most Africans lack this except maybe igbos

The rules is meant to keep the weak man down ...there is no rule in this world ...it's a dog eat dog world

No country achieved growth without doing something bad .. except the few small country with large resources ...it's a matter of time they would soon drop too

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Christistruth00: 2:47pm On Aug 18, 2020
Vixlot:
My Experience in Zimbabwe.

I did something in Zimbabwe and I am wondering who will be stupid enough to do such in Nigeria.*
We hired a car (Hyundai Elantra 2018) from Europcar for six (6) months. On my departure day, I drove it to the airport, but the car hire office was closed. My flight was just two (2) hours, so no chance of taking it back to town.

While thinking of what to do, a young man (Jack) who identified himself as a staff of Caresafe taxi service at the airport told me that Europcar have closed the office due to Lockdown. He offered to help me in returning the car to Europcar office in the city. All he needed was call credit to contact them.
I gave him equivalent of 300NGN for the call credit. I then parked the car, gave him the key, took a picture of his ID and returned to Nigeria.

By close of the day, I recieved a mail from Europcar that the car has been returned.

Though, I didn't know the Jack and there was no way of tracing him except by his work ID which was not verified, my mind was at rest that he will hand over the car to the car hire. I trusted him because he's a Zimbabwean. He may be extremely poor and hungry, I know he's contented.

Despite the poor economy, people still leave their wares outside on the table till the next day without fear. WHO DARE TRY THIS IN NIGERIA?

This is not about the government or politics, but the people.
These people respect the law. For my six(6) months stay, i heard no single report of crime in the city. The police are unarmed except for stick but are highly respected.

Jack may not even be a christian. I didn't bother to ask for his religion. I didn't trust him because he mentioned the name of a God, he wore collar or carry a holy book . I trusted him because I knew the practice of his people.
If he's my country man, i dare not try that. I wonder how we descended this low as a country.

I have been suspected and severally interrogated just because I carried Nigeria passport.
This has happened in unrelated places, not because of what I have done but because of where I come from.

An officer in Lahore was once suprised he couldn't find drugs on me (a Nigerian) even after rigorous scanning.
Once you identify as a Nigerian, people see you as a potential criminal.

It is time to repair our identity.
We need to work on our value system.
We need to retrace our steps to find where we missed it.
Maybe we can be right again.

- Samkay Olorunsola

https://www.toldnetwork.com/2020/08/13/my-experience-in-zimbabwe/

The Christianity preached and practiced in NIgeria is not deep enough to produce. an honest and contented People and Nation. Even the Pastor wants to own a big Mansion and Jet Plane he sets his heart on it and ends up defrauding the Congregation with lies from unscriptural doctrines increasing the wrath of God as a result of the lack of repentance.
The Bible says Godliness with Contentment is great gain.
True Christians do not even desire for what is not theirs because God hates Covetousness.
Once God gives them Food Shelter and Clothing they are Contented they don't steal,fight or kill over what God hasn't given to them and they are at Peace.

93 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by rontolo(m): 3:15pm On Aug 18, 2020
The government has a massive role to play. Building a criminal justice system that works, so that crime is met with justice, quickly. Leaders must lead by example, not the flamboyance, rampant corruption of public officials.

The problem is our culture. We worship money. Get rich at all cost. Nobody bothers as to source.

I will be candid. I have no faith in Nigeria whatsoever. The future is extremely gloomy. The leaders we elect at all levels of governance is nothing short of a disaster!

86 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by hollah123: 3:38pm On Aug 18, 2020
robinso01:
Like I do always say, government is not the problem of Nigeria, but individuals. There's no excuse to be a thief, a thief is a thief. I've seen a lot of situations where Nigerians scam each others, is the government also responsible for that also. Nigerians just have bad mentality, all we could think of is getting joy by making others cry.
This is the plain truth,just imagine one day I was checking a thread on nairaland about Singapore n a guy wrote it there that he has d student visa already but he's thinking of white powder(drugs) as side hustle....just imagine we complain Nigeria is bad but when we go to places where things work we still do bad.

Me personally I am a Nigerian but in my whole life I will never trust a Nigerian,just last night in my lodge a fight broke out n u will b surprised to know what caused it

Like 4 people organised weekly contribution for months, believe u me when it was time for a guy to collect his own share,the leader said he lost d record book n he couldn't ascertain if the guy has been paying regularly despite d fact that others were testifying that he pays regularly.
They agreed to take the case to the station n he used a line "nothing wey police wan do me,Na 5k go settle am n I go pay d money monthly for 3 years".......like seriously I felt bad but I just lock up since e no concern me.just imagine

114 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Kobicove(m): 4:09pm On Aug 18, 2020
Christistruth00:

The Christianity preached and practiced in NIgeria is not deep enough to produce. and honest and contented People and Nation. Even the Pastor wants to own a big Mansion and Jet Plane he sets his heart on it and ends up defrauding the Congregation with lies from unscriptural doctrines increasing the wrath of God as a result of the lack of repentance.
The Bible says Godliness with Contentment is great gain.
True Christians do not even desire for what is not theirs because God hates Covetousness.
Once God gives them Food Shelter and Clothing they are Contented they don't steal,fight or kill over what God hasn't given to them and they are at Peace.

Being religious has nothing to do with integrity.

We Nigerians need to stop using religion to fool ourselves! undecided

86 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 18, 2020
Reading

2 Likes

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by seunny4lif(m): 4:10pm On Aug 18, 2020
It can never happen in West or East Nigeria.
Northern Nigeria shops are mostly not locked and yet those guys don’t rob the shops.

I used to work at the MMA and I discovered our mentality has a Nigerians is to steal and blame it on devil or government if caught.

Senegalese police will inform you to come to station yourself.
If I report someone to the police
They will give me a letter to give the person
Once the person collects the letter from me then the person must appear in the station
Failure not to appear can land you 3 weeks in prison without even looking at your case.

Many Nigerians have ended in Senegalese jails for useless crime and many so called big boy Nigerians have slapped or beaten up Senegalese police thinking they are dealing with Nigeria police officers.
They will not even look at their cases even through many were innocent but sentence to over 10 years in prison.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by ZACHIE: 4:10pm On Aug 18, 2020
Plenty people.
You need tons of luck to find them.
But, be assured, they exist here.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by ODJ124(m): 4:10pm On Aug 18, 2020
If it's in Nigeria now, boys wud have been smiling at a maga..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by anonimi: 4:10pm On Aug 18, 2020
duro4chang:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3937452_fbimg1455225198661_jpeg11aac1d4a66dda821df3f6422c5fd4c4

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by SweetCunt97(f): 4:11pm On Aug 18, 2020
Nigerians are criminally minded, discontented and downright greedy na. It's in US like Peak.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by isram: 4:11pm On Aug 18, 2020
Oga we still have good people even in Nigeria,

The Zimbabwe you are talking about still have criminals, I was in South Africa for 2 years, a great percentage of crime was from zim guys

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by FacelessKing: 4:11pm On Aug 18, 2020
Nigerians are quite desperate people.

This desperation for success, though a good thing, is mostly badly controlled.

Every way na way for Nigerians.

That will be a free car my brother.

15 Likes

Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by ForeThinker: 4:11pm On Aug 18, 2020
undecided
Re: Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. by potbelly(m): 4:11pm On Aug 18, 2020
Poor but contented...

Greed kills a nation...

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

My Regretfull Journey To Europe ( How It All Started ) / Adventures Of Lionlee216 / Photos Of The 52 Cows Killed By Train In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.