Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,919 members, 7,806,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Great/famous People From Your State! - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Great/famous People From Your State! (71469 Views)

States Internally Generated Revenue: See How Much Your State Generates. / I Q of Famous People / Famous People From Nigeria By Adeola Aderounmu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by nwabobo: 7:15pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

I now agree he was the richest of his generation, that means Dantata was generation after him cos I'm sure Dantata was also reported in media as richest Nigerian of his genertation. Meanwhile Abiola was also the richest Nigerian of his generation.

Good you have agreed. In today's naira, Adenuga and co are nno where near Sir L P ojukwu.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by nwabobo: 7:18pm On Feb 21, 2011
alj harem:

can you shut your mouth jarus,.,., where did you get that from

ZIK that his burial ground in the east was destroyed

or is it the same ZIK that ran away without tipping others about the coup

can you stop your nonsense

Ever heard of the soi-disant Zik myth? grin
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Metalgoong(m): 8:25pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

There are hundreds of Anambra military officers that started with Obasanjo, Diya and are no where near where Obj and Diya reached in their chosen profession, so don't downplay their achievements pls.

Cosmas Maduka and Adenuga in the same sentence? The only businessmen that should be mentioned in Adenuga's class are Dangote, Otedola, and maybe Jim Ovia.
Even Oba Otudeko(another Ogun son) is ahead of Coscharis and Innoson in entrepreneurship and wealth. Not to forget the Subomi Baloguns(FCMB owner, and father of merchant banking in Nigeria), another Ogun great who may not even enter Top 5 Ogun entrepreneurs.

That aside, you had to go back to Ojukwu Snr of the 40s to 60s to find a match for Adenuga in Anambra, guess what? At that time, Ogun had two representatives in the list of Nigeria's richest/most successful businessmen.

So in Ojukwu's generation, Ogun had two reps, in Adenuga's generation, bring a representative. Pls don't tell me Adenuga and Cosmas Maduka are in teh same class. Even Oba Otudeko(Honeywell group and highest shareholder in First Bank, and rated one of teh Top 10 richest Nigerians floors Maduka and Innoson, not to talk of The Bull himself.)

Please in Sir LP OJukwu's generation, no yoruba man was at par or even in the same category with him when it comes to richness. . . The only man that might be a distant second is the Dantata . . . . . Even today, another Anambrarian, Sir Emeka Offor, cant be compared with otedola or Adenuga. . . . . . . . . I wonder how someone can still be comparing Ogun with Anambra state after he/she has seen the endless list of business moguls and internatinally recognised academicians from that state. . . . . Thats like comparing ajibota with ajikpako. grin
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by cau: 9:18pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

There are hundreds of Anambra military officers that started with Obasanjo, Diya and are no where near where Obj and Diya reached in their chosen profession, so don't downplay their achievements pls.

Cosmas Maduka and Adenuga in the same sentence? The only businessmen that should be mentioned in Adenuga's class are Dangote, Otedola, and maybe Jim Ovia.
Even Oba Otudeko(another Ogun son) is ahead of Coscharis and Innoson in entrepreneurship and wealth. Not to forget the Subomi Baloguns(FCMB owner, and father of merchant banking in Nigeria), another Ogun great who may not even enter Top 5 Ogun entrepreneurs.

That aside, you had to go back to Ojukwu Snr of the 40s to 60s to find a match for Adenuga in Anambra, guess what? At that time, Ogun had two representatives in the list of Nigeria's richest/most successful businessmen.

So in Ojukwu's generation, Ogun had two reps, in Adenuga's generation, bring a representative. Pls don't tell me Adenuga and Cosmas Maduka are in teh same class. Even Oba Otudeko(Honeywell group and highest shareholder in First Bank, and rated one of teh Top 10 richest Nigerians floors Maduka and Innoson, not to talk of The Bull himself.)

When you mention other men who have made it in business there are certain names in the west that i respect. The likes of Oba Otudeko, Suboumi Balogun, Elizade motors, Doyin Industries, Harry Akande etc . These are men that i respect, men that are upright in business .

Yes, adenuga is wealthy have you forgotten IBB stake in Globacom,
Otedola , the sole importer of diesel ( this is a guy who would never want to vbe alive to see our refineries function)
Dangote ( Who uses his influence to make sure that he controls the cement industry, he used his influence and OBJ shut down Ibeto Cement& Petro Chemicals for no just cause, thanks to yar adua who re opened it)
Arisekola Alao ( the abacha's man, the guy who supplied gari to ecomog troops in Liberia and Sierra Leone)

Why do you think Otedola, Dangote, Adenuga all give 250million each to any PDP fund raising.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Nobody: 9:32pm On Feb 21, 2011
Now the debate is getting ridiculous and I may have to quit.

How can anyone say Emeka Offor is richer than Mike Adenuga?

Just few pages away I posted an article by Times in 1965 discussing Nigeria's richest men at the time. Yes, Ojukwu's name featured but 2 Ogun men were equally there(Adeola Odutola and Bayo Braithwaite). These men were mentioned in the same report with your Ojukwu and someone is still saying no Yoruba men can be mentioned in the same breathe with Ojukwu. How can someone discount Abiola's wealth? How can someone mention Emeka Offor and Mike Adenuga in the same sentence? Bring any rating of Top 10 richest Nigerian, local or international, and let's see whether Offor makes it and let's see if Adenuga doesn't make Top 3.

I get irritated with ridiculous assertions like this.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by cau: 9:38pm On Feb 21, 2011
Jarus:

Now the debate is getting ridiculous and I may have to quit.

How can anyone say Emeka Offor is richer than Mike Adenuga?

Just few pages away I posted an article by Times in 1965 discussing Nigeria's richest men at the time. Yes, Ojukwu's name featured but 2 Ogun men were equally there(Adeola Odutola and Bayo Braithwaite). These men were mentioned in the same report with your Ojukwu and someone is still saying no Yoruba men can be mentioned in the same breathe with Ojukwu. How can someone discount Abiola's wealth? How can someone mention Emeka Offor and Mike Adenuga in the same sentence? Bring any rating of Top 10 richest Nigerian, local or international, and let's see whether Offor makes it and let's see if Adenuga doesn't make Top 3.

I get irritated with ridiculous assertions like this.

Pls forget about emeka offor, he is a crook just like otedola
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by PhysicsHD: 10:28pm On Feb 21, 2011
I would say Ogun and Anambra are basically even. Both sides have been deliberately underrating the other on this thread though.

I'm saying this from an actual neutral perspective, as I'm from Edo and have no ethnic affiliation with the inhabitants of either state.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by DIG1: 11:42pm On Feb 21, 2011
ABIA
Chief of Army Staff, first igbo army chief
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Mobinga: 1:11am On Feb 22, 2011
@jarus هو أن زوجتك في الموافقة المسبقة عن علم. صدمة. انها جيدة جدا. في حين، أنت لا تذهب المنطقة. grin grin grin grin
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by ekubear1: 1:47am On Feb 22, 2011
Why is Ogun so much more vibrant than the other Yoruba states?

And similarly with Anambra and the SE.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Nobody: 1:48am On Feb 22, 2011
Taraba state

Aliyu Dankaro
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by fstranger3(m): 1:51am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

Very good question

It has always baffled me. I know, on average, they have the better schools than any other state in the SW
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by asha80(m): 1:58am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

And similarly with Anambra and the SE.

for Ogun i think it is the presence of egba(it seems highly achievement based group) and ijebu(businesswise)

as for anambra it is a case of highest concetration goal oriented and business individuals.

fstranger3:

Very good question

It has always baffled me. I know, on average, they have the better schools than any other state in the SW

i doubt if it is about schools or going to school.if it was that then ekiti should be in the lead.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by SEFAGO(m): 2:00am On Feb 22, 2011
fstranger3:

Very good question

Suck for you right?

I think they had more access to education that other yoruba people, them and lagosians
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by fstranger3(m): 2:01am On Feb 22, 2011
asha 80:

for Ogun i think it is the presence of egba(it seems highly achievement based group) and ijebu(businesswise)

as for anambra it is a case of highest concetration goal oriented and business individuals.

What do you mean by Egba and Ijebu?

You'd better stop talking about what you know nothing about.

I dont go around parading myself as an expert on Igbo affairs, so i will implore you to keep your unfounded opinion about other people to yourself and wretched family

Modasucker
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by asha80(m): 2:05am On Feb 22, 2011
fstranger3:

What do you mean by Egba and Ijebu?

You'd better stop talking about what you know nothing about.

I dont go around parading myself as an expert on Igbo affairs, so i will implore you to keep your infounded opinion about other people to yourself and wretched family

Modasucker

you really i think i want to engage you in this manner?if you have a contrary view why not let me know and why?
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by ekubear1: 2:05am On Feb 22, 2011
Ijebu are complete badasses, and have had this reputation for 200+ years. I didn't know the same was true about Ebga though.

Hrm, looks like they were Oyo refugees: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egba_people

Pretty annoying that my Ekiti are so laggardly amongst the Yoruba clans. . . . guess we are the redneck equivalent
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by SEFAGO(m): 2:07am On Feb 22, 2011
Actually asha80 it has a lot to do with having access to education really. And yes culture does play a part. A culture of success and praising success.

Funny most of us are praising people though and have nothing to show haha
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by fstranger3(m): 2:07am On Feb 22, 2011
SEFAGO:

Suck for you right?

I think they had more access to education that other yoruba people, them and lagosians

You couldnt resist the urge to score some points, right? grin

Anyway, I think you just hit the nail on its head. Compared to other states in the SW, they have access to great education right from Kindergarten to the university level. Their proximity to Lagos, coupled with their lower standard of living compared to Lagos, cant be overemphasized.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by asha80(m): 2:13am On Feb 22, 2011
SEFAGO:

Actually asha80 it has a lot to do with having access to education really. And yes culture does play a part. A culture of success and praising success.

Funny most of us are praising people though and have nothing to show haha

why i differ is because imo state for eg has the probably same level of education with anambra state BUT their individual successes are quite more than imo state.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by cau: 2:32am On Feb 22, 2011
fstranger3:

Very good question

What has always baffled me is that, with the success of SW states in business, education etc top CEOs in banks, industries, governmental positions and the likes why is that, the villages in these SW states are nothing to write home about? These accomplished guys in SW basically stay in VI,Ikoyi, VGC or perharps UK, but their villages are just like pre colonial era. No atom of development whether by state, local government or even individuals.

In this aspect again ! I think Anambra state defeats every state in Nigeria
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by PhysicsHD: 2:35am On Feb 22, 2011
EDO STATE (updated)

1. Oba Erediauwa (Erediauwa was born in 1923, son of Oba Akenzua II. Before being crowned he was known as Prince Solomon, Aiseokhuoba, Igbinoghodua Akenzua. He attended Government College, Ibadan (1939-1945), then Yaba College, before going to King's College, Cambridge to study Law and Administration. He joined the Eastern Nigeria Civil Service in 1957 as a District Officer, later moving to the Federal Civil Service where he retired as Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health in 1973. For a short period he was the regional representative of Gulf Oil. In 1975 he was appointed Commissioner for Finance in Bendel State during the Military Administration of Major-General George Agbazika Innih.[1]

Ascending to the throne on 23 March 1979, he celebrated his 30th anniversary in 2009. During this period, he several times acted as a peacemaker between politicians. For example, he intervened in a dispute between Abia State governor Orji Uzor Kalu and Tony Anenih, Chairman of the People's Democratic Party Board of Trustees, and resolved another face-off involving Anenih and former Edo State Governor Lucky Igbinedion.[2] Apart from the ceremonial aspects, his 30th anniversary festival was a week long carnival and a showcase of Benin arts and culture, with numerous performances of traditional music and dance, as well as an art exhibition and food fair.[3])

2. Joseph Igietseme (biomedical scientist, the Centers for Disease Control, (CDC ) honored him for outstanding research recently:
“ Dr Joseph Igietseme, Nigerian-Born Bio-Medical Scientist, a top scientist and researcher at the Atlanta based, US federal government- owned Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) led others to win the this year's prestigious Charles C. Shepard Science Awards, which is to recognize excellence in science achievement by CDC scientists and authors of outstanding scientific papers, according to the CDC.
His expertise in the US scientific research community is underscored by the fact that the American government through its agencies like the CDC and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) estimate about $20 million to support Igietseme's research over the last decade and he is also reputed to have over 200 peer-reviewed research publications, reviews articles and presentations as an academic scientist.”
“It was in 2002 that the CDC named Igietseme, its Chief of Molecular Pathogenesis Laboratory, while he still maintains a part-time Adjunct Professor position at Moorehouse School of Medicine Emory University Medical School, Atlanta.
Dr. Igietseme is also a member of US Govt Expert Advisory panels and boards with expertise and skills in the development of biomedical science and research infrastructures and projects in medical schools, universities and agency (Govt/private) settings.”

3. Abel Guobadia (Ph.D in Physics from the University of Pittsburgh in 1966, former head of the Department of Physics at Lagos, went on to become Executive secretary of the National Universities Commision, Commissioner of Education for Bendel state, was ambassador to South Korea, formed a private educational consulting firm, and became chairman of the Women's Health and Action Research Centre (WHARC))

4. Cardinal Anthony Okogie (Archbishop, and one of the Cardinals that selected (voted in) Pope Benedict XVI in 2005; also volunteered to die in place of a woman sentenced to death by an Islamic court for adultery: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/februaryweb-only/2-25-13.0.html)

5. Nosa Omoigui (founder and CEO of Nervana, Inc., a software company, Prior to founding Nervana, Nosa spent 6 years at Microsoft Research and Microsoft, where he was a Development Manager, Research Manager and designated Technology Strategist. He has a total of 19 granted patents and 21 pending patents (including 2 granted and 9 pending patents for the “Information Nervous System”, the technology on which Nervana is based). In September 2006, Nosa was named as one of the 100 most influential leaders in the global Life Sciences industry by PharmaVoice magazine.)

6. Hakeem Bello-Osagie (“ ‘Keem holds an M.B.A. from the Harvard Business School, a law degree from Cambridge University and an M.A. in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from Oxford University. He is a member of the Nigerian Bar. He started his career as a petroleum economist and a lawyer. For over three decades, he has been a key player in the Nigerian economy through his participation in several businesses in the private sector particularly in the energy, finance and telecommunications sectors. “
“He until recently served as the Chairman of the board of directors of the United Bank for Africa Plc one of the largest commercial banks in Nigeria. He is also the founder and former Chairman of First Securities Discount House, Nigeria’s leading money markets and treasury bill trading financial services firm, in which the IFC is an equity investor”
“He has been appointed by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory to chair the board of directors of the Abuja Investment Company. He also serves on the board of Timbuktu Media a new publishing house that intends to publish a national daily in Nigeria”)

7. Nowamagbe Omoigui (former Associate Professor of Cardiology at the University of South Carolina and a respected commentator on Nigerian history)

8. Erhabor Emokpae (famous pioneering Nigerian sculptor, painter)
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by PhysicsHD: 2:36am On Feb 22, 2011
9. Anthony Enahoro (He “became the editor of Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe’s newspaper, the Southern Nigerian Defender, Ibadan, in 1944 at the age of 21, thus becoming Nigeria’s youngest editor ever. He later became the editor of Zik’s Comet, Kano, 1945–49, also associate editor West African Pilot, Lagos, editor-in-chief Morning Star, 1950-53. In 1953,Chief Anthony Enahoro was the first to move the motion for Nigeria's independence” (though it was rejected) , also “Chief Enahoro was the chairman of the National Democratic Coalition (NADECO), a pro-democracy group that fought dictator Sani Abacha till Abacha’s death.”)

10. Osaze Odemwingie (current star striker for the Super Eagles)

11. Tony Momoh (Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) chairman, former Minister of Information, accomplished journalist)

12. Dr. Jackson Gaius-Obaseki (Chairman of the Board of Directors to BRASS Liquefied Natural Gas Co. Ltd., EMGS Nigeria Limited and SERVIPOWER( formerly UTC ENGINEERING CO.), former Group Managing Director of the NNPC, )

13. Stephen Oronsaye (“He joined the Federal Ministry of Finance in December 1995, as Director, Special Duties. Oronsaye was responsible for the merger of the Administrative and Accounting functions of the offices of the State House, computerization of processes and procedures of the State House, Personnel records, Accounts and Access controls for the offices.[1] “
He was “appointed Head of the Civil Service of the Federation in June 2009. He began an energetic program of reform immediately after his appointment.[1]”; also )

14. “Sir” Victor Uwaifo (famous musician, honored by the Nigerian government for his music)

15. Dr. Raymond Dokpesi (first private television network in Nigeria, first satellite T.V. station in Africa, first private radio station in Nigeria, first indigenous shipping line (African Ocean Lines) in Africa, owner of AIT)

16. John Momoh (founder and CEO of Channels Television)

17. Godwin Aretanekhai Adams (“Aret” Adams), the first Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (1985-1990))

18. Dele Giwa (famous investigative journalist)

19. Gabriel Igbinedion (business mogul, owner of the Okada companies, founded Igbinedion University the first licensed private university in Nigeria, also, he founded “Mid-motors, the first indigenous Nigerian company to be given franchise to distribute cars. Later, he set up plants to assemble tricycles and the famous Nediori cars in partnership with Fiat of Italy. The hostile Nigerian business climate ruined those ventures. And he also popularised private aviation business with the now legendary Okada Air,” http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/narticles/national_honours.htm

"Igbinedion left Leventis in 1967 and established a motor sales and service firm, Mid-Motors which was partially funded with bank loans. As a regional sales manager, he was very successful with Leventis and felt he could generate the same volume of sales working on his own. In the 1970s, the firm was involved in assembling Hino Trucks in the country and it is considered the first motor assembly plant in Nigeria. The firm obtained distributorships with Hino Motors, Yamaha, Nedion Fiat and Marcopolo buses."wink
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by PhysicsHD: 2:36am On Feb 22, 2011
20. Osaze Osifo – “First Bank of Nigeria Plc (FirstBank) has announced the appointment of Osaze Osifo as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of its new investment banking and asset management business.
Osaze Osifo joined FirstBank from Travant Capital, an investments and advisory firm which he co-founded and led from inception in January 2007. He has led a number of advisory mandates at Travant and managed the fund raising and partial deployment of a $107m private equity fund focused on West and Central Africa”
“Osaze Osifo holds two Masters Degrees, one in Finance from the London Business School, and the other in Management Science and Operational Research from the University of Warwick. He also holds a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Lagos.”

Also: http://www.lagostimes.com/2010/12/13/osaze-osifo/

"Travant is Nigeria’s largest alternative asset management firm and currently has more than $300 million under management. In 2007, Travant made a splash when it coordinated an unprecedented $175 million 5-year loan agreement between Oceanic Bank and Merrill Lynch. It was Oceanic Bank’s first international loan transaction and the largest ever loan raised by a Nigerian bank. Travant’s record led to Osifo being appointed the head of First Bank’s investment banking business after a competitive selection process handled by global recruitment giant Korn Ferry."

21. Benson Idahosa (famous evangelist, founder of the Church of God Mission International, the Benson Idahosa university was named after him)

22. Johnson Arumeni-Ikhide (founder and chairman of Arik Air)

23. Felix Idubor (renowned early artist, opened Nigeria's first contemporary art gallery in 1966)

24. Governor Adams Oshiomhole (labor leader, former president of the Nigerian Labor Congress (NLC), responsible for a 25% wage increase for public sector workers during the Obasanjo administration)

25. Shaibu Amodu (only Super Eagles coach to take the Super Eagles to the World Cup twice)

26. Mike Akhigbe (former Vice Admiral of the Nigerian Navy, former chief of Naval Staff, former vice president under Abdusalam Abubakar)

27. Ben Osawe (“In 1965, the year in which he completed his studies of sculpture at the Camberwell School, he was chosen to represent Nigeria at the Commonwealth Exhibition in Glasgow. A year later he went back to Africa, to teach at the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, but owing to the war in Biafra he was soon forced to flee to Lagos. He there worked in the atelier of his artist colleague Felix Idubor, till opening an atelier of his own in Benin City in 1979.”
“Since the 60s, Osawe´s works have been shown in many exhibitions in Europe, Africa and the USA. In 1962 he took part in an exhibition of the Artists´ International Association in London, and a year later some of his works were shown in the Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh. Since then he has taken part in exhibitions all round the world, from Lagos to New York and New Delhi. Sculptures of his are to be seen in many public exhibitions and museums, including the National Gallery of Modern Art in Lagos and the cultural department of the Nigerian Ministry of Information.”

An interesting link on him: http://aachronym..com/2008/08/ben-osawe-retrospective-at-quintessence.html)

28. Fidelis Oyakhilome (former head of Nigeria's anti-drug agency, the NDLEA)

29. Julius Momoh Udochi (first Nigerian ambassador to the U.S.A., early leader of the Nigerian Youth Circle (NYC) with H.O. Davies)

30. Modupe Ozolua (beauty/cosmetics mogul, philanthropist)
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by PhysicsHD: 2:37am On Feb 22, 2011
31. Festus Iyayi (From wikipedia: "He left the shores of Nigeria to pursue his higher education, obtaining a M.Sc in Industrial Economics from the Kiev Institute of Economics, in the former USSR and then his Ph.D from the University of Bradford, England. In 1980, he went back to Benin and became a lecturer in the Department of Business Administration at the University of Benin. As a member of staff of the University, he became interested in radical social issues, and a few years after his employment, he became the president of the local branch of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), a radical union known for its upfront style on academic and social welfare. He rose to the position of president of the national organization in 1986, but in 1988, the union was briefly banned and Iyayi was detained, in that same year he won the Commonwealth Prize for Literature for his book Heroes."wink

32. Sonny Okosun (famous Nigerian musician, 70s and 80s, known especially for his hit "Fire in Soweto"wink

33. Brahima Ahmed Omosun (former Chief Justice of the Gambia)

34. Robert Okojie (NASA researcher; won the Abe Silverstein Medal for his research; "Dr. Robert S. Okojie has numerous engineering contributions to high temperature aerospace technologies, in particular, electronic devices based on silicon carbide (SiC) semiconductors. His contributions to the design, fabrication, and packaging of high temperature electronics are of high importance and impact on a national scale.

He has been a national leader in the development of microelectromechanical (MEMS)-based silicon carbide pressure sensors for use near turbine engines and other high temperature, highly corrosive environments. Electronics to monitor pressure and temperature at propulsion systems has been a major goal of aerospace technology."

"His latest achievements have also included patented techniques for decoupling thermomechanical stress between silicon carbide sensors and their packaging as well as eliminating wire bonding altogether – advances that avoid the otherwise catastrophic failure of these devices during operation.

These techniques are now being licensed for use by a leading manufacturer of microsensors. He has extended his silicon carbide expertise to batch fabrication of silicon carbide laminates for advanced fuel injectors that satisfy international civil aviation standards. His advance enables the use of this high performance semiconductor in the active control of engine combustion. He has even developed the first accelerated stress test protocol published in the IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium, the venue by which reliability testing is accepted by world industry.

These are the latest in an impressive list of Dr. Okojie’s achievements. Among his past successes, he demonstrated the world’s first thermally stable ohmic contact metallization on silicon carbide at record breaking temperatures for extended periods of time. In turn, this paved the way for high temperature sensors and electronics at these temperatures that can substantially improve safety and efficiency, as well as directly impacting the air quality around airports. His many patented device contributions extend to numerous MEMS structures that can reduce air and noise pollution, provide new deep well drilling tools, and supply sensors for the temperature and chemical extremes of aerospace environments."

http://rt.grc.nasa.gov/main/featured-innovators/dr-robert-s-okojie/ )

35. Franca Afegbua (first female senator in Nigeria)
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by PhysicsHD: 2:37am On Feb 22, 2011
36. Ifueko Omoigui Okauru ("She was valedictorian of her graduating class in the University of Lagos, with the highest number of prizes ever won by any individual in the Faculty of Business Administration and was recognized as a Global Leader of Tomorrow by the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. She is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Accountants of Nigeria, ICAN, and a Chartered Tax Practitioner.

For exemplary service to her country Nigeria, she has been conferred national awards by the Nigerian President twice in seven years. First as Member of the Order of the Niger, MON, in 2000 for amongst others, leading the technical team for the Vision 2010 effort for Nigeria - Nigeria’s effort at developing a long-term strategic plan, the first of its kind in the country. The second national award was that of Member of the Federal Republic, MFR in December 2006, for her achievements in championing tax reforms in Nigeria. In February 2007, she was named the Government Personality of the Year, by the Thisday newspapers. Governor of the Central Bank, Professor Charles Soludo shared the award with her. In November 2007, Omoigui, along with other women who blazed the trail in their fields, was admitted into the Women Hall of Fame by the National Women Centre, Abuja. The FIRS Chairman is the first woman to be Chairman, Federal Inland Revenue Service. In December 2007, she was named as one of the 50 outstanding graduates of the University of Lagos, UNILAG.

http://www.firsmcs.coop/about%20firs.html

"A quiet revolution is taking place at the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) under the able leadership of Ifueko Omoigui-Okauru. Since taking over the tax agency in 2004, she has improved tremendously its performance, its public image and the standard of service delivery. The fundamental reforms and re-engineering efforts that were initiated and implemented by her and her team have continued to yield huge tax revenue for the three tiers of government.

She has, in the last five years of unblemished stewardship and focused and visionary leadership, tripled the total tax revenue accruable to the federal, state and local governments, consistently exceeding revenue targets set by the Federal Ministry of Finance and beating her own records every year. From a total tax revenue of N697.7 billion in 2003 and N1 trillion in 2004, the Omoigui-Okauru-led FIRS raked in N1.8 trillion in 2005, N2 trillion in 2006 and N1.840 trillion in 2007. Records released by the Central Bank of Nigeria for the first nine months of 2008, show a phenomenal increase in tax revenue with a total of N2.3 trillion already in the federation account. What is even more remarkable about Omoigui-Okauru’s achievements is that she and her team have recorded unprecedented increases in both oil and non-oil taxes. Her goal is to diversify the revenue base from petroleum related taxes, which constitutes more than sixty percent of the total tax revenue at the moment, to non-oil taxes. Never in the history of the revenue agency has so much been done within so short a time. "

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/omoigui-okauru-and-the-tax-revolu.html
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by PhysicsHD: 2:38am On Feb 22, 2011
37. Michael Imoudu (Nigeria's greatest labor rights leader; "Reflecting on his career, the NLC President said that Imoudu was a first class organizer which culminated into the birth not only of Nigeria Railway Union but also of NLC. Particularly, Oshiomhole who pride himself as grandson of Imoudu said his advent of the trade union scene brought unprecedented militancy and a radically activist dimension to the movement.
According to him, Imoudu first came into lime light when he led over 3,000 workers of the railway union to storm the colonial Government House based on some workplace demands. However, right from the incipient stages of his career, he had always aligned workplace demands with the wider interests of Nigerians, especially the imperative of independence from colonial rule.
He said that Imoudu used his railway union platform to build the Nigerian trade union movement. He was president of the All-Nigeria Trade Union Federation from 1947 – 1958 and was the first president of the then Nigeria Labour Congress. "This was a testimony to his unrivalled courage, commitment, discipline, tactical depth, mentoring skills and capacity to organize, which his peers uniformly deferred to"wink

38. Professor Osato Giwa-Osagie (pioneer of IVF in Nigeria and sub-Saharan Africa;  http://bridgehealthservices.com/profile.php?id=1&KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=400&width=780)

Edo state has to be in the top 5 in terms of quality.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by ekubear1: 2:39am On Feb 22, 2011
@cau: pop density. Read the other thread on this forum started by Ikenagwo. Essentially the answer is population density. Igboland is tiny in size, but very densely populated. Yorubaland is much bigger and less densely populated. Wealth is being concentrated in very small geographic locales in Yorubaland, while the hinterland remains underdeveloped.

It is mostly a global trend though, not Yorubaland-specific. People are migrating to cities across the world.
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by kemisuga(f): 11:09am On Feb 22, 2011
@ Physics - na now u woke up from your slumber grin grin grin grin grin tongue
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 22, 2011
RIVERS STATE

Briggs Tammiete Dawari Peter
King Jaja of Opobo (You may argue that he was from Imo State)
Ken Sarowiwa
Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi
Elechi Amadi
Tam David West
Alabo Tonye Graham Douglas
Ledum Mitte
Rex Lawson
Daniel Wilson
Chief O.B. Lulu Briggs,

emm, emm, Wait I am comming o. E never finish,
Re: Great/famous People From Your State! by Mobinga: 3:41pm On Feb 22, 2011
dabriggs:

RIVERS STATE

Briggs Tammiete Dawari Peter
King Jaja of Opobo (You may argue that he was from Imo State)
Ken Sarowiwa
Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi
Elechi Amadi
Tam David West
Alabo Tonye Graham Douglas
Ledum Mitte
Rex Lawson
Daniel Wilson
Chief O.B. Lulu Briggs,

emm, emm, Wait I am comming o. E never finish,

Prof Nimi Briggs wink
Prof Kelsey Harrison wink wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Minutes Before The Lekki Tollgate Shooting On Tuesday / Peter Obi Shows The Documents Of His UK £1M House He Bought In 1996 At 35 (Video / "I Was Hired For ₦1,000, Don't Know Why I'm Here" - Pro-Buhari Protester. Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.