Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,841 members, 7,802,693 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! (4334 Views)

Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan / Aftermath Of Elections: I Hope Patience Would Not Divorce Me - Jonathan / You Can’t Threaten Me, Jonathan Tells Northern Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by wales(m): 6:46am On Feb 18, 2011
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday warned that nobody should rig for him in the April 16, 2011 presidential election.

Also, the President has promised the women a 35 per cent slot in his government if they (women) vote for the Peoples Democratic Party in this year’s elections.

Jonathan is the presidential candidate of the PDP, the party that has been ruling at the country since the return of democracy to Nigeria in 1999.

After a short break following the Port Harcourt tragedy when about 20 people died and many others injured in a stampede at the Liberation Stadium during his campaign rally, Jonathan on Thursday held rallies in Jos, Plateau State, and Makurdi, Benue State.

“Nobody should rig for me. I am assuring Nigerians that though I am contesting, nobody must manipulate votes in my favour. Our vote must count.” he told the crowd at the PDP presidential campaign rally in Makurdi.

“We must vote the people we want. We no longer want the situation where people imposed candidates on us. Anybody that is not good enough, vote out the person. That is democracy,” he added.

He said it was the cardinal objective of his government to deliver a credible poll.

The 2007 elections in the country were massively condemned by both local and foreign observers, civil society groups and the opposition parties as massively rigged and came short of acceptable international standard.

The late President Umaru Yar’Adua, whose election rested on the outcome of the poll, at his inauguration on May 29, 2007 publicly admitted that the election was flawed.

Till date, judicial contests over the election that held almost four years ago are still raging while the results of the poll in several states had been upturned by the courts.

The courts, for instance, had sacked the PDP governors enthroned in Ondo, Ekiti, Osun and Edo states, while the victory of many erstwhile members of national and state assemblies had been equally upturned.

As a result of the uproar at the flaws in the 2007 elections, Yar’Adua had promised an electoral reform and commitment to credible election. Jonathan was Yar’Adua’s deputy and successor.

In Jos earlier, the President had assured the womenfolk of 35 percent slots in ministerial and ambassadorial appointments if they vote for the PDP.

“Giving the Nigerian women 35 per cent is something we can do. We shall do that here. If a country like South Africa can give women 50 per cent, we should emulate that,” he said.

Jonathan saluted existing vibrancy in Plateau State “in spite of its current challenges,” and promised that the Federal Government would do “everything needed to change fortunes of the Plateau.”

Over 300 people had been killed while many had fled the state since 2008 when incidences of sectarian clashes and killings started in Plateau.

Only on Tuesday, seven persons, including a mobile policeman attached to the Anti-Bomb Squad, were murdered in Jos while the Police banned bag-carrying individuals from the venue of the President’s campaign as part of heightened security measures.

The President promised to revamp the mining industry in Plateau, noting that mining activities in the state dominated Nigeria’s economy in the 1960s and 1970s.

“We shall refocus on solid mineral development and make it one of the key revenue sources in Nigeria,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201102189212317
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Nobody: 8:57am On Feb 18, 2011
Old tactic. We are going to experience rigging like we have never seen before in this country. Mr President knows he's no longer that popular
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 18, 2011
Then how is he expecting to win ?
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Nobody: 9:39am On Feb 18, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Talking to me?
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 18, 2011
blink182:

Talking to me?
No. . .i was actually responding to the first post.how would he win if not through rigging ?
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Lagosboy: 9:58am On Feb 18, 2011
He plans to rig it himself by coercing JEGA to announce some results made in Aso Rock. This was OBJs tactic and did not need to rig at ballot box level. I remember SR showing us the result before election and a similar result was announced by IWU.
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by naso2(m): 10:11am On Feb 18, 2011
~Bluetooth:

The election is GEJ'S to lose.

Since the merger (acn/cpc) failed the contest became a lot easier.

At the moment SE,SS and NC are in the bag.
NE and SW will be split and he will surely get 45%.
Only NW will be lost to Buhari. Now tell me how he will not win?
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Nobody: 10:20am On Feb 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

He plans to rig it himself by coercing JEGA to announce some results made in Aso Rock. This was OBJs tactic and did not need to rig at ballot box level. I remember SR showing us the result before election and a similar result was announced by IWU.
You definitely get the drift, rigging has been upgraded past ballot box stealing
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by mrperfect(m): 2:38pm On Feb 18, 2011
I think that is a good one.
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by rashy(m): 3:01pm On Feb 18, 2011
Nobody Should Rig For Me!!!

pllleeeaaassseee ooooo, who is he referring to?
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by hbrednic: 3:05pm On Feb 18, 2011
GEJ has no opponet in this bout,he will beat Buhari with one hand.
only a countinuos jab on the right eyes till the fight is over.
as for Ribadu,is he in the race at-all,even the ACN supporters will not vote for him.
so his a time waister.
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by harmeenut: 3:13pm On Feb 18, 2011
, because I can rig/do it myself grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by KBrown: 3:27pm On Feb 18, 2011
“Nobody should rig for me. I am assuring Nigerians that though I am contesting, nobody must manipulate votes in my favour. Our vote must count.” he told the crowd at the PDP presidential campaign rally in Makurdi.

“We must vote the people we want. We no longer want the situation where people imposed candidates on us. Anybody that is not good enough, vote out the person. That is democracy,” he added.

One can not but wonder how to satisfy Nigerians.
Here is a sitting President, with good intentions, making categorical statements that he is not desperate to win at all cost. Yet, some never-do-well people on Nairaland are not satisfied.
What would have been their reaction if GEJ had declared like OBJ in 2007 that the election wil be a "Do or Die" affair?
O su mi o!
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by zeeleso(f): 3:28pm On Feb 18, 2011
Story Story, is all this is, same old bull. They've even already started organising touts.

Lagosboy:

The question now is whether JEGA has the will and  audacity to defy a sitting president.
KBrown:

One can not but wonder how to satisfy Nigerians.
Here is a sitting President, with good intentions, making categorical statements that he is not desperate to win at all cost. Yet, some never-do-well people on Nairaland are not satisfied.
What would have been their reaction if GEJ had declared like OBJ in 2007 that the election wil be a "Do or Die" affair?
O su mi o!
Because PDP have proved to us that they are a party that make promises they have no intention of keeping. Birds of a feather flock together, feel free to fill in the blanks.
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by solihu(m): 3:33pm On Feb 18, 2011
Ok.

Tell'em what they want to hear and do the trick behind closed doors my guy!
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Becomrichn: 3:48pm On Feb 18, 2011
if they dont rig for jonathan, jonathan can not win. so what is he saying. Without rigging the pdp can not pick up to 7 states in nigeria.

Jonathan can only win river and bayelsa state without rigging. the other state would be rigged.  this is how the PDP have been doing it.

They all rig the election all the parties. it is so bad, they rig the election.

Jonathan will loss the presidential election if he does not replace sambo with a yorubaman. You see the fulani/hausa will not vote for him.

The yorubas are going to vote for Dele momodu or Buhari because of bakare.

The only way Jonathan can stand a chance is to have a yoruba vice president.

Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Nobody: 3:59pm On Feb 18, 2011
PDP    Power
PDP    People Deceiving People
PDP    Poverty to The People
PDP    Problem to The People     grin grin grin   embarassed cool
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by olaolabiy: 4:19pm On Feb 18, 2011
Another gaffe from GEJ.

By inference, he's telling us that it's possible to RIG.

A. Jega must answer questions.
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Muza(m): 4:29pm On Feb 18, 2011
ola olabiy:

Another gaffe from GEJ.

By inference, he's telling us that it's possible to RIG.

A. Jega must answer questions.
this is serious
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Bukittes(f): 4:32pm On Feb 18, 2011
Whether by inference or by whatever we all know its possible to rig. Thats not news na but I just like oga's statement, "Nobody Should Rig For Me" there's no need to do it for me na , I'll do it MYSELF!! lol Thats power of incumbency!!!
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by frankiemun: 4:42pm On Feb 18, 2011
Its depend on player that how are they playing.
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by rebranded(m): 4:44pm On Feb 18, 2011
How will GEJ win if he doesnt want them to rig for him. .he must be deceived that people want him grin
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by yfirstson(m): 5:14pm On Feb 18, 2011
Nobody should rig for me BECAUSE I CAN DO IT BY MYSELF
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 18, 2011
Shut up! are u not a product of rigging?
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by BiggySmalz(m): 5:37pm On Feb 18, 2011
I use to think that this guy is our messiah!  but in the past weeks he is been driving on a slow lane,  Oga Presdo kirode?  If the seat 2 hot for u why not step aside.  At least you can give us another strong contender and by so doing you make yourself a hero in Naija history 4ever
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Nsiman(m): 6:01pm On Feb 18, 2011
All repliers, tell me if gej's admin has touch your live -vely. Be sincere
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Nobody: 6:13pm On Feb 18, 2011
good one and they should all remember that soon a bill will be pass that will make it possible to sentence anybody that rig election to death
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Nobody: 6:19pm On Feb 18, 2011
Thank you Mr.Presido,just carry gooooooooooooooo!!! we are right behind you
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by Abeem(m): 6:20pm On Feb 18, 2011
He can only be taken seriously if he sends a bill to NASS to criminalize rigging and make it punishable by death or life imprisonment. Then we'll know he meant what he is saying. Until that is done, I say, Talk is cheap!
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by juliebest(f): 6:23pm On Feb 18, 2011
carry go my presido.
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by SeunT2(m): 7:13pm On Feb 18, 2011
NOBODY SHOULD RIG THE ELECTION FOR ME OOOOOOO SO THAT IT WONT BACKFIRE . . . . . Mr President is stylishly telling others not to over rigged the election because it has already been rigged . Through you our SIM CARD AND JAMB REGISTRATION . "WE BOTH USE OUR TOMBPRINT" that means one person's vote counts three good times or two times . . .God will deliver us in jesu name
Re: Nobody Should Rig For Me – Jonathan ! by jumobi1(m): 7:15pm On Feb 18, 2011
It doesn't mean he means it and it,
However I don't have a problem with what he said. He has the right to speak his mind.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bakassi Natives Sue Nigeria Over Cession To Cameroon / PHOTO: No Light,no Good Roads In My Area In Obawole,lagos / Rivers State Information Commissioner Sizes Up APC On Channels TV.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.