Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,505 members, 7,808,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please (7706 Views)

Poll: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?

Yes: 37% (23 votes)
No: 62% (39 votes)
This poll has ended

I Need Your Vote Please....contestant 15 / Fuel Tanker Currently On Fire At Lekki Toll Gate... See Photos / Festac Suya-Spot 2nd Gate Burnt (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by aloyemeka1: 2:02am On Feb 19, 2011
[size=14pt]Gate fee for shows in Nigeria, is it reasonable?[/size]

For those who live abroad, convert N25grand and 50grand to your currency and tell us if you think that's moderate or too much money to pay to go see a music or comedy show.

All the major concerts that have held in Nigeria in the last year or so, have had a gate fee of 5-10k for regular, 20-25k for VIP and a VVIP table for 10 people for N500grand. If you divide it, that's 50k per person.

Now, more than 70% of people who are employed in this country earn below 20grand a month, (I stand to be corrected). So I'm thinking, the average Tuface Idibia fan will probably never see him in concert, because to see him in concert, it will cost him almost half his salary, and with all he needs money for, he can't afford a ticket to go see his idol live in concert.

With all the problems people face in this country, people want to unwind, they want to socialize, they want to dance and laugh and see their stars live, but because concert organizers in this country think it's OK to charge 25/50k for a 3/4 hours show, it makes it difficult. And even if you are an above average worker who earns maybe 150k a month, and you want to go see D'Banj live in concert, it will probably cost you and your partner one third of your salary to make that happen. And when you think thoroughly about how hard you work to earn that money, you'll probably just sit your backside home and watch TV, right?

We blame the Government for all our problems in this country, rightly so, but for some problems, we need to take a deep look at ourselves. Like Mahatma Gandhi said, "Let us be the change we want to see in the world.' or something like that, :-)

There's so much I want to say but let me stop here, I don't want to offend anyone, :-)
So, that's my opinion on the matter. Please no insults o, I've had enough for one day, :-). Just share your thoughts.

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/02/gate-fee-for-concerts-in-nigeria-is-it.html
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by aloyemeka1: 11:47am On Feb 19, 2011
I cannot pay more than N1K to go see Tuface or PSquare.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by ifyalways(f): 12:25pm On Feb 19, 2011
aloy/emeka:

[size=14pt]Gate fee for shows in Nigeria, is it reasonable?[/size]

For those who live abroad, convert N25grand and 50grand to your currency and tell us if you think that's moderate or too much money to pay to go see a music or comedy show.

All the major concerts that have held in Nigeria in the last year or so, have had a gate fee of 5-10k for regular, 20-25k for VIP and a VVIP table for 10 people for N500grand. If you divide it, that's 50k per person.

Now, more than 70% of people who are employed in this country earn below 20grand a month, (I stand to be corrected). So I'm thinking, the average Tuface Idibia fan will probably never see him in concert, because to see him in concert, it will cost him almost half his salary, and with all he needs money for, he can't afford a ticket to go see his idol live in concert.

With all the problems people face in this country, people want to unwind, they want to socialize, they want to dance and laugh and see their stars live, but because concert organizers in this country think it's OK to charge 25/50k for a 3/4 hours show, it makes it difficult. And even if you are an above average worker who earns maybe 150k a month, and you want to go see D'Banj live in concert, it will probably cost you and your partner one third of your salary to make that happen. And when you think thoroughly about how hard you work to earn that money, you'll probably just sit your backside home and watch TV, right?

We blame the Government for all our problems in this country, rightly so, but for some problems, we need to take a deep look at ourselves. Like Mahatma Gandhi said, "Let us be the change we want to see in the world.' or something like that, :-)

There's so much I want to say but let me stop here, I don't want to offend anyone, :-)
So, that's my opinion on the matter. Please no insults o, I've had enough for one day, :-). Just share your thoughts.

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/02/gate-fee-for-concerts-in-nigeria-is-it.html
Na u abi Linda wey don collect enough [i]baba e ati Iya e [/i]for the day?  cheesy
@Topic,Its all about Passion and priorities.
If Coliseum goes for free and Motherland is 50k per head,I and mine are without doubt heading to Motherland  kiss
There are places one can relax,have fun and good music without paying gate fees.If u can afford it and u are passionate abt it why not 
If u think its ridiculous and unreasonable please stick to your pirated cds,You tube or televised editions.
I never hear say dem force pesin make he attend live show or pay gate fee.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Mobinga: 12:29pm On Feb 19, 2011
They are reasonable. Thank God say dem no dey force anybody to attend. Silly article. Make the artistes no chop??
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by aieromon(m): 12:36pm On Feb 19, 2011
The gate fees are reasonable considering the fact that this forms a major part of the artistes income save for endorsements.
Simply put,buy pure water if you cannot afford bottled water.Same content,different value!
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Mobinga: 12:43pm On Feb 19, 2011
^^ Thank You. Well written.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by mecylee(f): 1:43pm On Feb 19, 2011
some times i do ask my self if all that we worry about to some carting thing rely worth is it any way this is one privilege God has given every one of us as human being that and that is the power of choice, therefor you are entitle to your choice especially when it come to money spending but please do not allow any body to live your life for you (PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU DO) undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Ranoscky(m): 1:54pm On Feb 19, 2011
aloy/emeka:

I cannot pay more than N1K to go see Tuface or PSquare.
LSH. . . .Now, that's funny! grin

aieromon:

Simply put,buy pure water if you cannot afford bottled water.Same content,different value!
Point blank period!
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 2:35pm On Feb 19, 2011
If it's too affordable (e.g N500 or N1k), there'll probably be crowd control and security issues. I know of people who were 'obtained' or assaulted by urchins while attending such cheap shows. Have you thought about that? That's why shyte always happens during star mega jam shows or shows staged at venues like TBS, National Stadium, Lekki Beach/Kuramo beach, Old Parade Ground (in Abuja) and so on. Once the gate fee is raised, it eliminates the possibility of having dregs and undesirable elements at the event. So thats that. Besides, venues like Eko hotel, Planet One, City Mall, etc where most of these shows take place don't come cheap to hire. Thankfully, attending concerts is not a matter of necessity, only a matter of priority so to speak.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Nobody: 2:42pm On Feb 19, 2011
Please, you people should stop it. A lot of those gate fees are unreasonable. If you see something wrong, stop it, or at least hate it in your heart. Don't have the attitude of 'ignore it if you can't change it'.
OP brought up the topic of an issue which has to do with the exploitation of Nigerians and people on this thread are asking her to ignore the problem ( "since you don't have money, don't go naw!" "if you can't buy bottle water buy pure water", "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah").
Fine, the artists need to eat or whatever, but the fees are still unreasonable considering that the wealthiest of wealthy artists are the ones who do shows that have the highest gate fees.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Pennywise(m): 2:53pm On Feb 19, 2011
I had no idea these folks charge so much but what the hell for? I will pay that much to keep so-called artists away from me
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by saridonp2: 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2011
Over-valued!Fu***ng unreasonable for Nigerian standard.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by TippyTop(m): 3:41pm On Feb 19, 2011
One would be stupid to pay 20-25k to see D'banj, I mean is he Michael Jackson?
One of our greatest artist (Fela Kuti) would delibrately underprice his gigs to allow every one the opportunity of meeting him. Now thats a true artist, how many people will be talking of D'banj in 10yrs?
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Affalatus: 3:48pm On Feb 19, 2011
Ikoyi Residence for Rent Two Bedroom Apartment Opposite Park-view Estate
Going for N700,000 you can pay for one year
At Mosley Street, Ikoyi
Call Thomas on: 08035883220
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Tcrack(m): 4:12pm On Feb 19, 2011
come to rio de janeiro and see how much you will pay. sometimes ago, beyounce was in town and the regular stand was R$250. ( #20,000 + or - ) imagine how much VIP will be. to the best of my knowledge, no show organizer will charge #20-25k for a show featuring only nigerian artist. think about how much goes into bringing in foreing stars, veneus, adverts, and other logistics.
to be honest, i think show tickets in nigeria are cheap compared to outside.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by drgica74: 4:16pm On Feb 19, 2011
While would I even pay 500 naira to see tuface. I did not pay upto 100 naira to watch J.J Okocha in Nigerian match who is a bigger star anyway.
How much can he pay to watch me or are my not a star too.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Tcrack(m): 4:27pm On Feb 19, 2011
Tippy Top:

One would be silly to pay 20-25k to see D'banj, I mean is he Michael Jackson?
One of our greatest artist (Fela Kuti) would delibrately underprice his gigs to allow every one the opportunity of meeting him. Now thats a true artist, how many people will be talking of D'banj in 10yrs?
i know people like you. you will only buy pirated CDs and go to cheap shows. but if D'banj shoots a cheap video, you will be the first to comdemn and say nigerian artist are wack.nigerians want quality  but  they want it for free.
@ bolded
people like you must have said the same thing about 2face 10 years ago. , fill in the blank
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by JUO(m): 4:37pm On Feb 19, 2011
u no fit complain for lagilooters wen dey go home with 15m every month o
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Sagamite(m): 4:45pm On Feb 19, 2011
aloy/emeka:

What alot of dribbling tosh!

Are the musicians charity? If you can't afford it, tough!

The musicians have to maximise what they earn, and they should charge as much as they wish for the mugus that would pay. They venue will take probably 10,000 people, so out of 150m, it will not be too hard to fill the arena despite charging high prices. What bothers me more about Nigerian artists is that they charge £100 and give you a £13.83 performance.

Even if on a good day I can afford it, you will never see me pay so much to watch any halfwit. Some do it just to feel important. MUGUS!
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by nwabobo: 5:12pm On Feb 19, 2011
Affalatus:

Ikoyi Residence for Rent Two Bedroom Apartment Opposite Park-view Estate
Going for N700,000 you can pay for one year
At Mosley Street, Ikoyi
Call Thomas on: 08035883220

This smells of SCAM. 2 bedroom apartment going for N7000,000 in Ikoyi of all places. Dude, take your trade elsewhere, Nairalanders are smarter than this.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by tjadeba(m): 5:29pm On Feb 19, 2011
Just simple economic calculations here and we will be able to determine if the charges are ridiculous/reasonable.

If the number of people that are on less than N25,000 per month in the country is around 70%, is it reasonable for them to go watch a comedy show with more than half or even just a third or quarter of your salary?
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by presido1: 5:38pm On Feb 19, 2011
They take Nigerians in Nigeria as magas. When they come to London they charge less like VIP £50(12k) or less. Let them come to UK and charge N500k(£2k+) for their vvviiippp(whatever that means) and see if anybody will look their way.
Anyway from the posts here the magas are willing and ready to pay so the artists exploits their readiness.

I know how much i paid to see RR last november in a better venue.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by eldee(m): 5:41pm On Feb 19, 2011
Of course they are . . . they don't make money off their £150 album, and if you want to see the big stars you've gotta pay.
I paid £70 to see Jay-Z and Coldplay last summer . . . Tuface and M.I are Jay-Z and Beyonce to Nigeria, why should it be any less??

It's not by force . . . when y'all stop going, they'll drop the prices.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by r231(m): 5:44pm On Feb 19, 2011
Sagamite:

What alot of dribbling tosh!

Are the musicians charity? If you can't afford it, tough!

The musicians have to maximise what they earn, and they should charge as much as they wish for the mugus that would pay. They venue will take probably 10,000 people, so out of 150m, it will not be too hard to fill the arena despite charging high prices. What bothers me more about Nigerian artists is that they charge £100 and give you a £13.83 performance.
Even if on a good day I can afford it, you will never see me pay so much to watch any halfwit. Some do it just to feel important. MUGUS!

true

I have been to a show where the artist didnt even show up on stage

cus he is drunk backstage
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by tellwisdom: 5:57pm On Feb 19, 2011
How many hours i go take look dbanj or tuface for 25k? SHEBY NA 6years aby? I see him more clearly on T.V than FACE 2 FACE, So, for person like me, Paying to watch them no go work grin grin grin, if i no get d C.D i go go borrow(FREE) IF I NO GET LITE, I go go watch am for my nebor wey get lite(FREE)
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by tellwisdom: 5:57pm On Feb 19, 2011
How many hours i go take look dbanj or tuface for 25k? SHEBY NA 6years aby?  I see him more clearly on T.V than FACE 2 FACE, So, for person like me, Paying to watch them no go work grin grin grin, if i no get d C.D i go go borrow(FREE) IF I NO GET LITE, I go go watch am for my nebor wey get lite(FREE)
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Ranoscky(m): 6:02pm On Feb 19, 2011
eldee:

As simple as that!

tellwisdom:

How many hours i go take look dbanj or tuface for 25k? SHEBY NA 6years aby? I see him more clearly on T.V than FACE 2 FACE, So, for person like me, Paying to watch them no go work grin grin grin, if i no get d C.D i go go borrow(FREE) IF I NO GET LITE, I go go watch am for my nebor wey get lite(FREE)
Aba o!

r231:

I have been to a show where the artist didnt even show up on stage cus he is drunk backstage
After I don pay money for ticket? undecided. . . .Iro nla !!!

If im no com perform normally, im must com perform drunkerly (my money no go burn lyk dat)!!!
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by tjadeba(m): 6:20pm On Feb 19, 2011
eldee:

Of course they are . . . they don't make money off their £150 album, and if you want to see the big stars you've gotta pay.
I paid £70 to see Jay-Z and Coldplay last summer . . . Tuface and M.I are Jay-Z and Beyonce to Nigeria, why should it be any less??

Please compare the economy of England and Nigeria.Inspite of the recession ravaging them in England,they still have higher purchasing power than in Nigeria.May be easier for more people to pay £70 to watch a show than for most Nigerians to watch a show for N10,000
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by eldee(m): 6:30pm On Feb 19, 2011
tjadeba:

Please compare the economy of England and Nigeria.Inspite of the recession ravaging them in England,they still have higher purchasing power than in Nigeria.May be easier for more people to pay £70 to watch a show than for most Nigerians to watch a show for N10,000

Well if it was that hard for Nigerians to pay that much why does Star Mega Jam consistently have a full attendance??
As I said, they know how much they're worth, if you don't agree with them, don't go . . . they'll drop their prices.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 6:33pm On Feb 19, 2011
yall are crazy if you pay that much to go see a show. heck for 500 naira i aint paying to see nobody. am cheap grin
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by Sagamite(m): 6:37pm On Feb 19, 2011
eldee:

Bacause Jay-Z and Beyonce are Jay-Z and Beyonce to the world.

You can't say because Shoprite is Harrods to Nigeria, that means Shoprite should charge the same as Harrods. Or because Goldman Sachs pays £300K per employee, then IBTC should pay the same. Nigeria is less than most other countries.
Re: Are Nigerian Gate-fees reasonable?: Vote Please by buzugee(m): 6:48pm On Feb 19, 2011
having said that i paid 15 pounds to go see snoop canine dog and dr dre in their hay day, i also watched SNAP ' i got the power' in national theatre iganmu in the nineties (i think we got the ticket for free cuz the place wasnt packed so they let us in, i also paid like 10 pounds to see digable planets.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Is Diddy? What Do U Think Of Him? Who Doesnt Know Diddy? / General Discussion Library! / Let's Pray For Our Leaders And Not Insult Them In 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.