Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,827 members, 7,802,644 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime (4851 Views)

Poll: which regime do you think was better?

Abacha: 33% (4 votes)
Obasanjo: 66% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Throwback Photo Of Buhari Under Abacha's Regime / Buhari With Babagida, Tinubu, And Obasanjo (Photos) / Abacha's Regime Was One Of The Best Performing Governments In Our History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by ThoniaSlim(f): 3:51pm On Jun 19, 2007
There have been critics concerning abacha's regime, they say he did this and stole that.i am no supporter of anyone, but lets be sincere compare the regime of abacha and obasanjo, lets face the issue of fuel price, which is a necessity.

during abacha's regime they called him all sort of names but the price of fuel never rose from the standard price of 13naira. when obasanjo came they called him the savior of nigeria, bla bla bla.
but immediately obasanjo came into power,fuel price rose to 75naira or more.

what of the issue of killings, they say abacha killed this and that, what of obasanjo's regime can we start talking of the thousands of people that have lost their lives as a result of crises, air crashes etc.

Fine we know abacha looted money a lot, but for God's sake what of obasanjo's regime, would we compared the billions public office holders looted from the government treasury, all in the name of projects that were never executed or executed well, politics is now seen as an easy means to get rich. i could go on but i would like to know other people's views

BE WARNED, I ONLY NEED INTELLIGENT MINDS WHO ARE READY TO EXPRESS THEIR VIEWS AND NOT INSULTS OR ABUSES. IF YOU KNOW YOU WOULD ABUSE PLEASE STAY OFF!!!
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by angel101(f): 3:02pm On Jun 20, 2007
Abacha $1 = N22
OBJ $1 = N140 and more
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by stranger12: 3:25pm On Jun 20, 2007
angel101:

Abacha $1 = N22
OBJ $1 = N140 and more

If I may ask, how old were you during the Abacha days?

N22 was the exchange rate for government presidential aides travelling abroad.
Dont be fooled, the official exchange rate was different from the actual exchange rate.
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by MILITIA(f): 3:47pm On Jun 20, 2007
Abacha of course! At least we knew his position at all times.  OBJ the mega hypocrite was busy looting through his hench men and spending every sunday in church for "thanksgiving"! With im mouth like "Lagbara jesu! Now OBJ has gone back to school to study theology---to perfect the act of "lootocracy"!  Abacha did not pretend to be a dictator abi? grin Obj say im be democrat, use EFCC, and all arms of governent to destroy Nigeria! Ugly son of a Bit*h! Abacha even fine pass the grand ape!
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by angel101(f): 4:08pm On Jun 20, 2007
stranger12:

If I may ask, how old were you during the Abacha days?

N22 was the exchange rate for government presidential aides travelling abroad.
Dont be fooled, the official exchange rate was different from the actual exchange rate.

So how much was it? N140?
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by vigasimple(m): 4:11pm On Jun 20, 2007
Dear Thoniaslim,

Although I haven't bother to look into your postings but I am very impressed that you have spent sometime contributing to debates and issues on this site.

You will have educate and learn from others on this site.

Secondly, i take it that you will propbaly be a student or at least a young person who has time to contribute and learn

Only people of doubtful intergrity are the ones that usually abuse or some kind of tribalist and we do have some of them on this site. strangely they are only pushing an agenda that will make them to get to political office.

Now coming back to the issue you have raised. The diffrence between ABACHA and OBJ is as huge as NIGHT and DAY that will never see each other.

First Abacha seize the power as a military dictator, he never account to anyone, whether parliament or the people, he ruled by decree whereas OBJ howver imperfect or bully type OBJ maybe he has the other arms of government checking him, in this case parliament and the judiciary. He cannot carry out things unless in the constitution or change the law unless he goes to parliament. DEMOCRACY IS AND WILL NEVER BE ON PAR WITH DICTATORSHIP.

On the excahnge rate, at the time of Abacha it was artifically perked at 22naira whereas during OBJ it was allowed to float on the open market. what that means the law of demand and supply like anything else govern it.

I will just summarise somethings that will give you a guide.

GOVERNMENT

ABACHA                                                                     OBJ

Militaary dictatorship                                          Elected civilian govt

Did not handover, died in office                          hand over to another elected person

No freedom of the press                                      Freedom of the press

No market economy                                             market economy

Huge national debts                                            paid off Nigerian entire national debts

No reserve/savings in nigeria account                 $45Billion dollars reserve in Nigerai account

Nationalisation of companies                               Privatisation of companies

non removal of oil subsidy                                   removal of oil subsidy

Part of OBJ failures was his inability to fix electricty, unable to fix major infrastruture and did not laid down vision for the future.

OBJ tried through EFCC to deal with corruption unlike Abacha it i just too endemic It was confirmed officially that Abacha took to Britain alone $2.8 bilion (it was officially on record)

I can go on and on, but the truth remains the two are in a diffrent class althogether.

My own candid opinion is that OBJ could have done a lot better, but he simply lack the intellectual capacity and it was a missed opportunity to be the Grand master of the father of the nation, for instance he could have done better with the election, but some of it he was hamppered by Nigeria politics

I hope you do not either believe it or be persuaded that Abacha is better than OBJ, both have left office now and in 100 years from now OBJ will still be better than Abacha

God continue to be with me and protect me and Our Great Country Nigeria
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by angel101(f): 4:16pm On Jun 20, 2007
@vigasimple
i quite agree with u on a number of point u have brought up but on some, i do not agree.

First Abacha seize the power as a military dictator, he never account to anyone, whether parliament or the people, he ruled by decree whereas OBJ howver imperfect or bully type OBJ maybe he has the other arms of government checking him, in this case parliament and the judiciary. He cannot carry out things unless in the constitution or change the law unless he goes to parliament. DEMOCRACY IS AND WILL NEVER BE ON PAR WITH DICTATORSHIP.
the paragraph above is totally untrue! in this regard, OBJ and Abacha acted and operated identically.
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by napoleon2: 6:18pm On Jun 20, 2007
obasanjo is the worst president niga has erver had, he has left us poorer than he met us in 1999. I m sorry 4 yaradua.
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by vigasimple(m): 6:29pm On Jun 20, 2007
To
Angel101

You have the right not to agree with me on all the issue, but the diffrence is clear on both Abacha and OBJ

You are expressing your views freely now, during Abacha regime, you ask anybody they always look over their shoulders when you criticise him.

Secondly, though unacceptable but the Nigeria political class understand a diffrent language.
Like me explain by anology, a lot of married women even ladies in serious relationship will say something like the monies their husband or boyfriend is giving them to maintain the home is small /inadequate or not at all, majority knew their limited resources but they do this just to be seen as saying something, nagging or at worst 'trying to make sure they bleed him so there is no extra to give to another woman or girlfriend'.

The political class always make most noise and demonise whoever is there, they nearly derail handing over from civilian to civilian (first in our country history) because they benefits from disarray. They own or have strong ineterest in the medias and use them effectively for this cause, it is all propaganda and in most cases politics.

Abacha has no intention of going, OBJ even if anybody thinks has no  intention of going or handing over power is gone and no matter the amount of influence cannot be as when he himself is there. Think about it he is no longer the commander in chief, the new commander can give authority to the Army etc

As i said before these two regimes are Night and day completely incomparable except if you are just playing 'politics'

May God continue to show me his mercies and bless our Great Country Nigeria
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by babasin(m): 6:32pm On Jun 20, 2007
abacha:
$1 = N89
fuel= N21/litre
crude oil = $16/barrel
failed bank tribunal
100 people killed by state
electricity=4000WM
PTF= repair roads
security in abuja=100% safe

OBJ
$1=N130
fuel=N65/litre
crude oil = $70/barrel
no fail bank tribunal
ODI village wiped-out
electricity=2000MW
no road, no benefit for nigeria
security in abuja=0%
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by ThoniaSlim(f): 6:39pm On Jun 20, 2007
@vigasimple
thanks for your contributions. i know abacha had a lot of faults. but lets face reality even though abacha had faults, his administration was still better than obasajo's administration. and they both used the same military tactics. the only difference is abacha applied a direct approach while obasanjo applied an indirect pretending approach.
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by olutomiwa(m): 7:22pm On Jun 20, 2007
before and after the two of dem i no get bank account,d two of dem be identical twins only say one never die.
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by MILITIA(f): 9:21pm On Jun 20, 2007
@vigasimple

With all your quotes, how do they translate into "meaning" to the average Nigerian's life?  More people died during OBJ's dictatorship than Abacha's dictatorship! Since neither was duly elected by the Nigerian people.  Abacha killed with intimidation and force.  Obj killed with inaptitude and hypocrisy!  Which is worse? shocked I think the "great pretender" OBJ is worse!  Abacha ravished Nigeria in "khaki", while OBJ ravished Nigeria in "agbada" pretending to be our "friends"! angry angry angry
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by angel101(f): 4:02pm On Jun 21, 2007
@vigasimple
U have actually shed light on some more similarities.
Abacha never wanted to vacate Aso Rock - same with OBJ
at leadt Abach could claim military to do that what excuse did OBJ have. He even attempted to alter the constitution.
They have both left now but not by our power
The 2 regimes are not day and night o! at best they are evening and night (infact make that late evening  grin)
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by angel101(f): 4:03pm On Jun 21, 2007
@all
una dey fear to vote? grin
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by whitelexi(m): 4:29pm On Jun 21, 2007
@Topic:

I think that Abacha's regime presented better government qualities whether or not it was a democracy. Obj's government has been plagued by different uncompleted projects because the funds were diverted because of corruption because of very high poverty levels because of very bad economic conditions because of too many strike actions because of bad government policies!

If Abacha's government were a democracy, i think all will agree that it was better and more stable than Obj's.
Re: Compare Between The Abacha Regime And Obasanjo's Regime by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 27, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-693700.32.html

Abacha out performed all other Nigerian leaders with the possible exception of Gen. Buhari

He maintained same exchange rate through out his 5 years in office at 1$=N22.

He reduced inflation from  54% to below 10%

OBJ devalued Naira by 500%  angry
Despite have 8years of record high oil revenue at his disposal.
We lost our national airline under his watch angry
OBJ is the greatest looter Africa has ever known, there is not tangible infrastructural development toshow for his 8 years of record oil revenue.

(1) (Reply)

Ohanaeze Denied Use Of Venue In Abuja / Igbo In Fading Shadows ( Na Today?) / Two Reasons I Do Not Believe Alamieyeseigha's Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.