Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,868 members, 7,806,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) (36630 Views)

Lagos (eko) Who Owns It? / Would You Rather Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child / On Our Way To Inter-tribal Wedlock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Opiosko: 1:17pm On Jul 19, 2014
Idowuogbo:
See below! Ur ancient mentality needs tweaking.

Are we speaking the same language? He said he was advised to seek a legal redress nd i told him he has no legal remedy in law against d baby mama. Don't confuse the legal point of view nd my personal opinoin.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Idowuogbo(f): 1:24pm On Jul 19, 2014
Opiosko: Are we speaking the same language? He said he was advised to seek a legal redress nd i told him he has no legal remedy in law against d baby mama. Don't confuse the legal point of view nd my personal opinoin.
Ok
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Lamasta(m): 2:23pm On Jul 19, 2014
According to the Govt culture which I belong, whosoever is able to take proper care of the child own him/her everyother culture is secondary...
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by kabba7(m): 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
In yoruba land that child as long as he/she is still with the mother it is referred to as an omo ale however in igboland it become a proud member of the mothers family leanage as there are no bastards in igbo land in hausa land the possibility of having a child outside marriage is close to impossible as it is viewed as a taboo .

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by enomakos(m): 3:07pm On Jul 19, 2014
Abiagirl777:

i was tryin to clarify you abt hw Igbos asorbs an illegitmate child into de mother's family
ok i understand
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Antivirus92(m): 3:29pm On Jul 19, 2014
In igboland, any child born through "ime mkpuke" or "ime enyi" belongs to the mothers family.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by englishmart(m): 3:42pm On Jul 19, 2014
Ask the child

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Slimshy: 3:44pm On Jul 19, 2014
pls advice me. my husband has a baby girl before our marriage although he initially denied being d father of d child but later own up to it before d baby was delivered. he took care of d child's mother but immediately after she gave birth her mum took her and d child to unknown destination. d girl is still communicating with my husband but has bluntly refused to allow him access to his daughter. he is really disturbed about d situation. pls advice me what to tell him, I just want him to be fine.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Bobo121(m): 3:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
Jamean:

hahaha...you funny o. Dem no dey fine before
Urs is exceptional..d ones I dey see 4 here no complete.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by lupey: 5:03pm On Jul 19, 2014
TheLeader: Lawyers be like- Edet v Essien.

As for me, I know a certain Nigerian musician is responsible.
#shhhh I didnt say nothing o...

#NothingDeyHappen

Or Mariyama v Sadiku Ejo cheesy
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Trinity213: 5:37pm On Jul 19, 2014
odumchi:

Hmmm. I disagree. In Igboland (well, in my community at least), if a woman bears a child out of wedlock, the child would be seen as a descendant of its grandfather (and not the father) and would answer the grandfather's name, almost as if its biological father never existed. It's this same concept that gave birth to the old practice of fathers without male children permitting their daughters to be impregnated by a man out of wedlock, so as to take the [male] child as their own son.
i know of a family who had only two daughters, the first got pregnant out of wedlock and gave birth to a baby boy who was adopted as the family heir and despite the biological father pleading and crying to be allowed to marry the daughter, the family has refused, thereby denying him any claim to the baby boy.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by tconfi: 6:07pm On Jul 19, 2014
THIS IS A TERRIBLE SITUATION!!!
THIS IS SO DISTURBING! I ALREADY HAVE A SIMILAR CASE, AND I KNOW, ONE DAY, I WILL SUE THE MAN TO COURT! I WILL! I WILL!
HE IMPREGNATED THE GIRL AT TENDER AGE, AND SUFFERED THE GIRL. I GOT TO KNOW OF THE GIRL'S PLIGHT...SUCH A MAN MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO WALK FREE...
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Spirit1(m): 6:17pm On Jul 19, 2014
nossycheek: In Igbo culture, a child born out of wedlock belongs to the girl's family and whoever marries her later, may have the child if he desires, otherwise, he/she remains with his/her mother's family.

But in Urhobo and Yoruba, the child belongs to the man whether married or not.

I hope I am correct

You are wrong. In igbo culture the child always belongs to the father, unless another man marries the pregnant mother while still pregnant. Igbos never accepts another man's child unless in this exclusive circumstance
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by daviesmania(m): 6:27pm On Jul 19, 2014
Currently in every part of Nigeria, a child belongs to whoever the Mother mention as the father & men can only do very little abt this. The last time i tried to deny my paternity status na police station i see myself..... Funny this men always have something to call very case, i was accused of wat they called 'failure to supply necessaries'.
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Spirit1(m): 6:47pm On Jul 19, 2014
Lucasbalo: In US , the child belongs to the mother. Bastard is an anormally, no child is a bastard. How do you stigmatize an innocent child by calling him or her bastard ?. You do not visit the inequities of a parent on an innocent child. It's only African culture that a child is referred to as a bastard. What an antiquated way of thinking.

In the US the child does not.belong to the mother. Child belongs to both parents. You can ask for equal custody. Stop the misinformation please

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Lucasbalo(m): 7:09pm On Jul 19, 2014
Spirit1:

In the US the child does not.belong to the mother. Child belongs to both parents. You can ask for equal custody. Stop the misinformation please
There is no misinformation . God forbid you are divorced from your wife, who do you think will keep custody of the kid/s ?. The only thing is that the father can ask for time to be spent with the kids as long as the father keeps his child support obligations. In rare cases of the woman being unable to take care of the kids, due to drugs or mental in capability or other negative reasons, the father will have custody of the kids. So where is the misinformation . Been married for almost 20 years , do I know of what I say.

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Amuga(f): 7:10pm On Jul 19, 2014
Hausa's rarely give birth out of wedlock. Dont get me wrong. its not that there are no promiscous ones, or all of them are virgins, but they know how they do it. Anyone that is a hausa or that grow up in the North knows about it. Hence, hausa's dont accept bastard.

2 Likes

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by musiwa93: 7:48pm On Jul 19, 2014
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by musiwa93: 7:59pm On Jul 19, 2014
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by vicpeace: 8:00pm On Jul 19, 2014
searay: + Annang
I C∕̴Ɩм̣̣̥̇̊ an Annang too but I think there shouldn't be any food for a lazy man who disappear when he is suppose to be a MAN only to come back to ripe where he did not swore. My child bears my father's name and that is it. Or u pay through ur nose
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by musiwa93: 8:14pm On Jul 19, 2014
grin
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by amNIGERIA: 8:39pm On Jul 19, 2014
It is d con*dom that failed in its primary duty tongue grin
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by searay(m): 9:05pm On Jul 19, 2014
vicpeace: I C∕̴Ɩм̣̣̥̇̊ an Annang too but I think there shouldn't be any food for a lazy man who disappear when he is suppose to be a MAN only to come back to ripe where he did not swore. My child bears my father's name and that is it. Or u pay through ur nose
well if your child is female, no problem but If male, be prepared to show him the father in due course. Anyways, karma still dey oooo, my uncle couldn't have a child until he went for his son who is about 21 yes old now. He has to pay 200k + begging. Lols

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Nairalander01: 9:17pm On Jul 19, 2014
Amen
Smartsyn: its d parents of the girl..

God, after 7 years, this thread made frontpage.

So shall everything that has been delayed and forgotten in your life, resurface for your good and make headline in your life IJN...

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by jidowu84: 9:51pm On Jul 19, 2014
In a situation where the man is from Yoruba and the woman from igbo? And the man is not ready to Marry the woman but accept to be responsible for the pregnancy/baby.? Won't there be clash of cultural believes?

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Nicepoker(m): 11:01pm On Jul 19, 2014
nossycheek:

Exactly what is practiced in Igbo land. But the child may grow up and go to his/her father who gains from the mother's sufferings.
If I am in such a situation, i will tell the child that the father died in an accident and I can't locate his family members neither do I
know his village
u see ur life?

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Nicepoker(m): 11:08pm On Jul 19, 2014
Op are u a victim?
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Opiosko: 11:16pm On Jul 19, 2014
daviesmania: Currently in every part of Nigeria, a child belongs to whoever the Mother mention as the father & men can only do very little abt this. The last time i tried to deny my paternity status na police station i see myself..... Funny this men always have something to call very case, i was accused of wat they called 'failure to supply necessaries '.
grin grin Lmao! Paternity no be by force na, it can be proved nd otherwise...something is telling me u ar trying to evade responsibility. Joke apart, u are only responsible to provide necessaries in a legal marriage (statutory or traditional). Na scam police scam u so bro. If u believe the child is not urs, u can apply to have a paternity test to be carried out and know whr u stand
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by musiwa93: 5:01am On Jul 20, 2014
c
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by kendeville: 6:45am On Jul 20, 2014
[color=#000000][/color]
Please in my own opinion, If u go to an ATM and slot in ur card and the ATM brings out money. Abeg, Who get d money? U abi ATM?
No mata wat, d child belongs to d father. #CaseClosed

1 Like

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by darelar(m): 8:15am On Jul 20, 2014
What about in a situation where the girl did not inform the guy at first about her pregnant, but only tell him to come and do knocking of door within 2weeks that someone is coming to do knocking of door but she prefer the guy to come and do It charpperlly to prevent the other guy. But the guy said that he can't rush for such without his family presence but instead the girl wellcome the other guy. Three weeks later, she call d guy & told him that she is pregnant for him and d guy ask if she just find out but she said no dat she has confirm it before d other guy came for knocking of door, dat she will like to move in to his place but the guy said no way. He said dat he will take responsibility for the pregnancy but can't marry the girl, since someone have drop drink on her head. The second day, she txt d guy dat she miscalculate nd dat d pregnancy belong to d new guy. Wch d guy threatening her that nothing shld hpn to d pregnant even if it doesn't belong to him. She later gave birth and try to apologize from the guy but never admit that he is the father of the baby.some of her brothers and sister believe that the child belong to the previous guy but she and her mother said it belong to d new guy. She once said that she will provide the child for DNA but she change her mind the following day. In this case, can the family of the girl claim the child been an igbo or the guy can still claim his child been a yoruba guy. What advice can anyone of you give the guy and which process do you feel that he can follow in other to claim his child. The child is 4yrs now and he is yet to see her

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo Embarks On Work Out Session, Boxing Ring Fight (Photos) / The Difference Between Customary Law Marriage And Statutory Marriage. / Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.