Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) (36671 Views)

Lagos (eko) Who Owns It? / Would You Rather Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child / On Our Way To Inter-tribal Wedlock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by gadf: 2:21pm On Jul 20, 2014
[quote author=nossycheek]In Igbo culture, a child born out of wedlock belongs to the girl's family and whoever marries her later, may have the child if he desires, otherwise, he/she remains with his/her mother's family.

But in Urhobo and Yoruba, the child belongs to the man whether married or not.

I hope I am correct[/quote. Nna,u are not very correct.in general igbo practice,d child belongs to d girls family xcept if the real father shows up to claim his child and if the family is willing to let go.however, in most cases d families let go especially where they have male childrem
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Bonsar: 8:52am On Jun 03, 2017
[quote author=enomakos post=24801288] my dear i disagree i am a bini man and the child
belong to the father whether he hads paid the bride price or
not,afterall the child bear his father surname not the mother abi?[/

[color=#000099][/color]not sure when this chat happened... please excuse me. I am seeking personal advice on some aspect of the Edo (Bini) culture. Would you be able to assist me? It is a serious matter for me to seek this information.
Let me know if you ok with it then we can exchange contact details.
Thank you
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by enomakos(m): 2:38pm On Jun 03, 2017
[quote author=Bonsar post=57145772][/quote]check your mail
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Ndipe(m): 2:33am On Oct 18, 2017
fingard02k:
in Igboland the woman/mother owns the baby and that child will bear his/her mum's surname.

The man can only claim the child if he paid the bride price

Yeah, in Ibibioland, the child bears the mother's maiden name. But as for the man paying the brideprice before claiming his child, we call it 'mkpo usongenyin." It literally means "Payment for insult." Why ascribe the term, "Brideprice" when the woman is not even your intended?
Re: Who Owns The Child Born Out Of Wedlock (unmarried Relationship) by Duranter: 11:35am On Mar 29
It’s amazing that I’m reading this thread in 2024 and it’s educative .. kudos guys !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive / Is English Our Native Language In Nigeria / Ooni Of Ife Visits Oldest African Temple In Brazil Which Used To Be A Church.pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.