Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,399 members, 7,808,431 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Java Has Failed! - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Has Failed! (22235 Views)

Common Error In Laravel #1:solved File_put_contents Failed To Open Stream / Retrieving The COM Class Factory For Component With CLSID {587CCA26-D3FA-402C-B5A0-259DF7E96D55} Failed Due To The Following Error: 80040154. / Rynga Voip Issues - The Call Failed Due To Sound Device Problem On This Computer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Java Has Failed! by sbucareer(f): 4:14pm On Jul 19, 2006

Darth, word!!!
Re: Java Has Failed! by tju38: 4:20pm On Jul 19, 2006
Whoever started this thread is an ignorant idiot sad
Re: Java Has Failed! by africanboy(m): 5:48pm On Jul 20, 2006
as much as I find some postings on this thread informative, some of you are just ^%$^$#&^&@@!@

to all those who posted respectable comments, big thanks to you guys. still dont like java though
Re: Java Has Failed! by rock2(m): 8:41pm On Jul 20, 2006
just like a technology comes and go, programming languages will also come and go. java is a great programming language but you don't expect a language that was designed about 10 years ago to beat a language that was designed 5 years ago. Also i read somewhere that magazines rated microsoft java compiler (j++) better than sun microsystems implementation. so i think they would do a better job with .NET. please lets fly along side technology so we are not left behind. all the same, java has not failed and is one of the most successfull languages currently.
Re: Java Has Failed! by parosky(m): 10:49am On Jul 21, 2006
Java is very much alive. I ran EXACTLY the same code on both Windows and Linux and there is not much difference.  Just a very little variation in the dimensions of the swing (GUI) components which should not take long to adjust to make it look exactly like it was on WIndows. This gladdens the heart. Doesn't it? Write once, Run anywhere (even on the race track  grin grin grin grin smiley smiley)
Re: Java Has Failed! by sbucareer(f): 11:12am On Jul 21, 2006

If you want to get the default look and feel of any operating system from a Java application, use this line from you static void main (String args[])
[glow=blue,1,2]
try{
      UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());
    }catch(Exception e){
        e.printStackTrace();
   }
[/glow]

The API is in

import javax.swing.UIManager.*;

This will automatically get your operating system default look and feel. It will not use Java look and feel anymore, it will use the system properties default settings.
Re: Java Has Failed! by darth: 6:50pm On Jul 23, 2006
Firstly, I think it would be nice is webmasters of nairaland can do a little redesign so that the most recent posts come up first on any discussion thread.

The reason my first post was so caustic was because I entered the discussion thread and lo and behold all I saw was postings from java-haters i was so blinded with rage dint even look at the dates on those postings I just signed up and let the venom fly.

I take (some of it) back, going through the other pages i saw alot of cool replys big ups to sbucareer but pls take it easy you intimidate with your code sometimes cos i dont always have time to look through.

Anyways I still strongly disagree that Java has failed, given it has it's shortcomings (SWING anyone) but that depends on the application in question and you always have work arounds (most java IDEs ie Eclipse, Netbeans etc have visual design capability).

I would hardly call the only programming language that runs on all mobile phone platforms regardless of the maker a failure (nokia, motorola siemens etc), considering that that market beats the regular PC market on the basis of quantity sold per annum (we're talking billions of units a year).

P.S: I think Africanboy was frustrated, trying to write code on a command prompt using DOS Edit grin
Re: Java Has Failed! by waleoau(m): 2:56pm On Sep 13, 2006
i think we should not be too eager to conclude. why java may not be a the eureka in programming we are looking for, it has been revolutionary in many ways. i program in c++ and java, and i am very familiar with .net technology but i still say, java stands. more than 50% of software house in nigeria uses java and they cannot all be wrong
Re: Java Has Failed! by africanboy(m): 4:19pm On Sep 13, 2006
>> darth, actually i have never tried coding in java, looking at the sample codes gives me headaches. i never really like languages that use braces {}

>> wale_oau, who counted?
Re: Java Has Failed! by sbucareer(f): 2:11am On Sep 14, 2006

Africanboy, how do you control your program structure blocks? Braces allows you to have inner classes and method. You can packet an instruction or global command in a brace that have nothing to do with the program code.

Seriously Africanboy, get with grips with braces, it is good for us.

@darth
Advice taken, I will not post codes again. Thanks for your big up!!!

1 Like

Re: Java Has Failed! by rookie(m): 4:34am On Sep 14, 2006
Does anyone know if eclipse is compatible with Sun Java System Application Server. that is, can you register the SJSAS with eclipse? I tried a few times but i'm still having difficulties with it
Re: Java Has Failed! by africanboy(m): 10:22am On Sep 18, 2006
>> sbu, honestly i dont know, indentation maybe? i know braces are good.

off topic, just started learning PHP. Java? my pastor said smiley
Re: Java Has Failed! by Dmajesty(m): 3:33pm On Dec 01, 2007
Web designing and programming is becoming the talk of the moment in information and computer technology. People are made to pay heavy amount of money in other to learn how to design and program web pages. You don’t need to be a computer scientist or a guru in computer for you to know how to handle that. I have a self explanatory tutorial that can guide you to learn how to become a web programmer using the most popular, and powerful web programming language called PHP.

As you go through the site, you can search other free links go get more tutorial in other software with little or no fee. http://knowphp.webs.io

Cheers! Share with others.
One Nigeria Forever
Re: Java Has Failed! by a4extra: 5:47pm On Dec 01, 2007
lol, nigerians una fit dissapoint oooo shocked, java is the world, make una no step up ooooo, make una sit down 4 c and c++, u guys are wack, damn, java is so easy, why cant't u guys see the future, java is EVERYWHERE, i actually program java and its beeen fun all along, i think u gusy probably did not get tje right resouces, come mail me, a4extra@yahoo.com, or probably live chat, do u even knw smthin, im a kid, lol, frm COVENANT UNIVERSITY grin, u guys should big up, php is not a lang, WHY CAN'T we THINK, and u wanna be better than them, STOP COMPLAINING and move along, abi una wan do una own language?? e no fit happen, i dey wait una oooooo,
Re: Java Has Failed! by tedoja1(m): 8:01am On Dec 03, 2007
africanboy you can write multi platform software with JAVA.

I created an Instant Messenger with JAVA that works on any OS

Check http://tchatng.com

I have tested it on linux, windows, mac, solaris, the program works fine. No modification just a single version for all OS
Re: Java Has Failed! by SayoMarvel(m): 4:31pm On Dec 03, 2007
I think many of you who said java is dead are critics. I totally disagree 'cos i'm java to the core. Java is cool. It has been performing all the stunts i want i to perform. and for me that;'s enough. Java is still one of the world best programming language. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.
Re: Java Has Failed! by SayoMarvel(m): 4:35pm On Dec 03, 2007
I never knew the posting extends to more than a page. The views i saw was the first set from critics. That's why my reply is like that. Please redesign this web so that recent replies comes first.
Re: Java Has Failed! by madskillz: 9:10am On Dec 06, 2007
to java or not to java? that is the question to be answered abi?
if you dont like it leave it, I personally blive that java is one of the easiest to learn and use (try programing a voice recognition piece with C++!)
anyways, java has ups and downs but defintly more ups
and on a scale of 0-100% I rate it around 92%

Ease -- 100
Compatibility -- 100
Versatility -- 97
HTTP -- 99
Real world progmg -- 85
speed -- 90

well those figures are made up but thats what I rate JAva, so if ur looking to learn a language leave Microsoft's Visual its for childs play take up Java or C++

heehehe, hope microsoft dont see these. All Languages are okay depending on what u want
Re: Java Has Failed! by feeqtee(m): 7:51pm On Dec 06, 2007
@ poster;
There are ways to say you want to know what power Java as a programming language has, not badmouthing the language.
Its the most popular web and enterprise programming language now whether you like it or not. It has come to stay.
Re: Java Has Failed! by blackweaver(m): 4:40pm On Mar 27, 2008
Personally i don't believe that java is dead , i'm not a java fan and i'm not a java pro either but i'm yet to see anything to convince me that java's dead or dying.
personally i prefer c/c++ but the truth is as has been said java is more portable. Then there's C#, i've heard people say M/S did on "fast 1 behind Sun's back" with C#. Personally i think it's more like java than C/C++ and now people are begining to port the .net to other oses with the mono project which means very soon .net programs will be as portable for java - if they aren't already. For all that i still think java has ways to go before "dying". Yeah i feel it's quite annoying that java based programs seem to be slower than native os programs but i think what determines whether a program/programming language lives or dies is the followers and the developers. I don't think Sun is ready to drop Java anytime soon and as can be seen from some of the replies here java has a strong followership so at the end it all boils down to one question: Do you like java or not? for me as i've said before it's ok but i prefer c/c++/c#. Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion
Re: Java Has Failed! by Kobojunkie: 7:06am On Mar 28, 2008
Java is not dead. It is alive and doing well but .NET is really catching up and eating up part of what used to belong to Java with it's C# and J++. I was, only yesterday able to open java code and actually build and run it in the .NET IDE ( Visual Studio 2008) as J++ with no problems. The latest version of Visual Studio is really proving to be a formidable tool for microsoft in the war to win over the minds of code lovers everywhere. I believe that is a big edge .NET has over Java for now and I wait to see what Sun is going to do about this.
Re: Java Has Failed! by Ghenghis(m): 8:10am On Mar 28, 2008
The future of java is no longer in the hands of SUN , it hasn't been for a while .
IBM, Oracle and BEA hijacked the Java train long ago and now that java is open source, well ,

Microsoft want people to write programs for windows, whether the program is in java or not is not really material , the problem with java programs is that they can also ultimately be ran on a non Microsoft OS, MS doesn't want this so they don't like java.

If you check history you'd see MS was one of the more active participators in the early java boom, they only parted ways when they tried to force their business/tech model down Suns throat.

Well java is really cool now, Going through this long and old thread its interesting to see that so many of the claims of the HATERS that were true then are no longer accurate - so Java has also grown.

There is a niche for Java apps that would be difficult to fill by any other platform (Enterprise middle ware) , whereas MS.Net niche which is really the front-end has Gone all Web. This is good technology wise but it doesn't pay Microsoft because now guys use MS.NET to develop apps for browsers and not windows, the apps run on Microsoft browsers and non- Microsoft (doesn't this sound familiar) . Microsoft created .Net so more developers would write apps for windows(so they can sell more windows boxes)

The question now is, what is Microsoft going to do about ASP.NET and all the WEb 2.0 stuff(the new enemy) ? cheesy
Re: Java Has Failed! by candylips(m): 12:55pm On Mar 28, 2008
Microsoft is not relently on its efforts to kill of  the opposition.

I have just read about the romance between Eclipse and Microsoft here http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/03/19/microsoft_eclipse_swt_project_wpf/
Re: Java Has Failed! by Kobojunkie: 4:55pm On Mar 28, 2008
Ghenghis:

The future of java is no longer in the hands of SUN , it hasn't been for a while .
IBM, Oracle and BEA hijacked the Java train long ago and now that java is open source, well ,

Microsoft want people to write programs for windows, whether the program is in java or not is not really material , the problem with java programs is that they can also ultimately be ran on a non Microsoft OS, MS doesn't want this so they don't like java.

If you check history you'd see MS was one of the more active participators in the early java boom, they only parted ways when they tried to force their business/tech model down Suns throat.

Well java is really cool now, Going through this long and old thread its interesting to see that so many of the claims of the HATERS that were true then are no longer accurate - so Java has also grown.

There is a niche for Java apps that would be difficult to fill by any other platform (Enterprise middle ware) , whereas MS.Net niche which is really the front-end has Gone all Web. This is good technology wise but it doesn't pay Microsoft because now guys use MS.NET to develop apps for browsers and not windows, the apps run on Microsoft browsers and non- Microsoft (doesn't this sound familiar) . Microsoft created .Net so more developers would write apps for windows(so they can sell more windows boxes)

The question now is, what is Microsoft going to do about ASP.NET and all the WEb 2.0 stuff(the new enemy) ? cheesy
[quote][/quote]

1) What niche is it that you believe would be difficult to fill by any other platform. Enterprise middle ware?? Are you sure of that or are you just saying that cause that is what you know

2) Who told you guys now use .NET to develop for browsers and not windows, How did you figure that ?? Java can be used to build for browsers as well does that mean Java developers no longer build for windows??

Look, this is what happens when you have competing software and businesses. As much as I would like to agree with your claim that Java is open source, I can make the same claim for .NET. People seem to latch on the lob on the phrase OPEN SOURCE today on practically anything without really understanding what it means. Are you sure .NET is not as open source as Java is?? I mean the libraries are available for all to use just that not many have been quick enough to catch on does not mean Java is more open source than .NET is.
Re: Java Has Failed! by Ghenghis(m): 6:47pm On Mar 28, 2008
@Kobojunkie
Relax , I was generalizing wink

I have some questions ,

What are the most popular languages with developers in the mainstream
Why is there so much excitement these day about scripting languages
What is the most used .NET language (i.e JScript, C#, Asp.NET(thats with C# VB.NET etc) ,VB.Net,J++ ?

You'd see the trend , do you want me to post articles showing this trend ?

How many Middleware platforms exist on the .Net platform ?
From how many vendors?
How does that Compare with java ,

what is RIA ?

Why did Microsoft fight to win the browser wars only to give it away for free ?
Why does Microsoft give away Developer tools ?
Have you heard of empower ISV ?

Ok ,
Open source is not the same thing as open Source code , you cant use code, Legally, just because you have access to it (check up on OSF)

Kobojunkie i like .NET, i think it made the platform landscape interesting, C# was the language i used first, professionally , for 2years
so you don't need to sell me on the merits of the .NET platform

, Well continue this discussion later , if you want more facts cheers grin
Re: Java Has Failed! by okmich: 9:01am On Apr 02, 2008
What is wrong with java

See I started out with VB, then went on to java because of what VB could not provide. I have RedHat linux and XP on my laptop. Both OS share a partition on the laptop running FAT32 and apps written in java can be run from any side.
Secondly, the power of java cannot be under stated, it is the best Enterprise-oriented language on earth. Take it or leave it. Don't beef it.
Thirdly, the countless number of frameworks for java makes it easier for any body to jumpstart and create good apps.
I am a programmer and will not undermine any language. But when the chips are down, java is Enterprise. Has lived unto its promise and more is yet to come in the word of scripting. remember that javaFX is still in the pipeline.
The in thing now is MOM, SOA. And this paradigms are more deployed in java than any other language except that WS-I has come to help, .NET may never have been able to find it footing there.
Talk about mobile-computing and who has it.
Talk about platform independence and who has it. Hey!, .NET fellows, a patch has been written in Linux to help run VB apps on it. Good News!

Sun is not forcing anyone to recognize them for java. They have completely open source java, and even the best IDE - netbeans. So, who is angry.

Java programmer, don't mind them. Java is everywhere. It is those who have not used it that are angry because of the hype. Ask them - which fortune 500 company will deploy mission critical apps (written in .NET) on Solaris Blade or Linux RAC. None. It is java. Java now powers Oracle AS.

If I continue, I will just get more proud coding in java. So, mind us and join us) but learning and writing .NET apps is still a great asset because with linux support for .NET apps (http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/visual-basic-for-linux.html), the sky is your limit.

But the easiest language to learn is PHP. From experience.
Re: Java Has Failed! by A40(m): 4:02pm On Apr 10, 2008
I dont think it has faile even though it has its short-comings its applets can be a total disaster sometime.Java is still the best though as it is reusable and it is easier compared to most other programming languages around not to mention how functional it is my interest is in database management thoug but i am no programming slouch either
Re: Java Has Failed! by javalove(m): 7:09pm On Apr 10, 2008
I read a comment in a post about Java. I didn't read it completely because I am STRONGLY anti-Java.

As far as I am concerned, JAVA has failed. It started with a hype - Write Once, Run Anywhere. Has anyone done that? I don't think so. One good thing, JAVa opened our eyes to a concept which was right under our noses: use a platform specific engine while the high level language can be written in well - high level. The code is translated to a intermediate form which is run.

.NET from Microsoft uses the same principle, so is RunRev (from http://runrev.com).

A friend of mine wanted to convert me to Java, giving me theory, history and other , I stopped withone simple question "Which JAVA program have you written that runs on Windows (all variants), Linux, Unix, Mac, Solaris, OS2, Symbian, Palm"

Java programmers in the house, eat my head off.

(More on this on my blog)

Meeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnn i cant believe this. Ignorance begins and ends with u. Wat do u do for a living, ? SO u r into all this one language is better than one argument, then u r not a professional programmer. U used the word, STRONGLY ANTI JAVA, hahahah, cheesy I know we used to argue about all this back in skool days but meeennnn we all realized its not really by language but by situational analysis.

I am a hardcore ardent Java Programmer. I sleep and eat it and it has not failed me in anyway. Dont follow public opinions, fools do that. I have never had the cause to think that Java is ding. Web, Desktop and Mobile, its java all the way. U also saied no one has created a cross platform independent app with java, ? research well before posting oooo cos i have quiet a few of them I have a software called Quiet Office. Its a IM, Mailing System (downloads ur mails from d webserver and u can send mails to other pple on d network), Voice chat and other jucies, The employees use both windows and linux, and it runx without any hitch,

"A friend of mine wanted to convert me to Java".-------------

wat d hell? Has programming become a religion or something, ? I can tell u authoritatively that MODERN DAY JAVA FOR ME IS THE BEST ON THE DESKTOP WEB AND MOBILE. How often do u check java.net and its communities, ? Do that at least once a week to get the latest. Just say anything, anything at all, it can be achieved with java.

The desktp wahala u guys were mentioning in ur posts is a gone issue. Java is smooth on th desktop (i more of a desktop programmer sha - SWING). If u dont know aw to code, then go back to skool,

See ur mouth like java has failed cheesy You failed the language cos u didnt take time to learn it.

I code in Java, .NET PHP and FLEX and whe the situation arises, i pick the language that fits in. Dont decieve urself oooooo.

Have u heared of web swinging, timing framework and all other java stuffs, meeeennn u r dumb ass,

i m out
Re: Java Has Failed! by kablooee: 12:55pm On Apr 11, 2008
WHO SAID JAVA HAS FAILED? how many years of programming experience do you have?
write this down today 11 April 2008. in fews years Java will be the only way to go! you can quote me anyway. all good programmers will agree to that.
Re: Java Has Failed! by javadevil: 1:05pm On Apr 11, 2008
Javalove you're a programmer! thumbs up for you

WHO SAID JAVA HAS FAILED? how many years of programming experience do you have?
write this down today 11 April 2008. in fews years Java will be the only way to go! you can quote me anyway. all good programmers will agree to that.
Re: Java Has Failed! by Nobody: 12:29pm On Apr 12, 2008
For me, its Java all the way, its powerful, got lots of support, structured, and doesnt have any legal wahala.
All the frameworks written for JEE, are just tight, and the design and structure of the enterprise platform, is simply elegant.
Im a hard core Java fan. I dont ever regret using it.
Try playing with JBoss seam, and tell me what you think. www.seamframework.org.
Re: Java Has Failed! by heckler(m): 8:00pm On Apr 13, 2008
Java has failed??
undecided, he's probably from another planet

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The Best Laptop For Coding / Beginners - Learn Android Programming / Opensource 3D Game Participation Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.