Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,448 members, 7,808,601 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

.NET Framework And IDE: Will Microsoft Open Source Them? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / .NET Framework And IDE: Will Microsoft Open Source Them? (2654 Views)

[C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service / Is Anything Better Than The Netbeans Ide? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

.NET Framework And IDE: Will Microsoft Open Source Them? by africanboy(m): 6:17pm On Feb 01, 2006
I read an article about the possibilities of .NET going Open Source. Is Microsoft crazy? No. Definitely NOT!

The .NET Miracle (for developers) = Framework + IDE

Framework: Microsoft has made their framework free for download somewhere on their site. Linux Developers have made a imitation framework http://www.mono-project.org which imitates the .NET framework and runs on Linux as well as Windows.

IDE: Microsoft definitely (at least not in the nearest future) make their IDE free or open source, therefore Linux gurus have come up with an Open Source IDe that compiles with both the .NET framework and Mono framework. www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx.

Comments on what MS will do next?
Re: .NET Framework And IDE: Will Microsoft Open Source Them? by africanboy(m): 9:19am On Feb 02, 2006
Microsoft seems to be in trouble. They have two major sources of income - Windows and Office.

Windows still seems stable (?though bug ridden?) and doesnt seem to have any much competition for now. But Office is having serious competition like ThinkFree, BackPack, HipCal, OpenOffice and other applications links on this thread.

That aside, if SharpDeveloper gains ground with the Mono project, I think the same type of attack on Office will be launched against Visual Studio. Because, why would I pay $$$$ for software with has a free alternative. Support? Use Google
Re: .NET Framework And IDE: Will Microsoft Open Source Them? by joftech(m): 11:02am On Feb 02, 2006
MONO is having some problem because it violates M$ copyright in some way, if M$ decided to press charges MONO will be down the drain in a matter of days.

LAMP/WAMP is more than enough.
Re: .NET Framework And IDE: Will Microsoft Open Source Them? by shockreaction(m): 11:36am On Feb 02, 2006
The .NET Framework is not open source. It is an open standard (detailed in ECWA) and based on that, different people can decide to implement it on any platform, if they so desire. So no, Mono is not in violation of any of Microsoft's copyright laws.

The IDE, however is not open source, and I doubt it will be anytime in the future. We can't be too sure though.
Re: .NET Framework And IDE: Will Microsoft Open Source Them? by joftech(m): 12:42pm On Feb 02, 2006
The .NET Framework is not open source. It is an open standard (detailed in ECWA) and based on that, different people can decide to implement it on any platform, if they so desire. So no, Mono is not in violation of any of Microsoft's copyright laws.

The lead developer (Miguel) of MONO pointed the problems out in an article i read about 2 years ago.

Here are some links that can clarify what i have said:

http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=32&thread=3631

http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-winforms-list/2004-April/000666.html

http://swpat.ffii.de/pikta/xrani/cifs/index.en.html
Re: .NET Framework And IDE: Will Microsoft Open Source Them? by africanboy(m): 9:51am On Feb 03, 2006
If Bill decides to go after Mono, i doubt it will succeed because it will only succeed in pushing the project more into the hand of linux coders. with the current tred on dark-nets, mono will oly get better.

napster was fragile becuase it had a central point of operation, gnutella is still pretty untouchable and other p2p networks. mono would just go the dsame way in my opinion. if i were ms, i would focus on software as services to ensure google doesnt take over.
Re: .NET Framework And IDE: Will Microsoft Open Source Them? by joftech(m): 10:43am On Feb 03, 2006
Those that are still on are running like pirate radios. A project must be free from legal shackles to gain community-wide acceptance.

(1) (Reply)

Become A Pro In Programming For Only N6000 / I Am Tired Of This Upwork Things.. / [Help Request] Help On Java download and Installation Oo!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.