Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. (1981 Views)

For Gazzuz And Other Auto Gurus In The House, Help Diagnose His Car's Condition / Please Auto Gurus. I Need Help With For My New Honda Car / Pls Help!!!! I Need Your Advice Auto Gurus On My Toyota Camry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by John3161(m): 10:06pm On Feb 20, 2011
My 2006 Hyundai Sonata (Manual Tranny, Milage = 85km) was emmiting thick blue smoke so I took it to the mechanic. The engine was dismantled and the rings + con rod (whatever it is called) was replaced. I still notice some blue smoke in the morning though it dissapears when the engine warms up.

The next problem I've noticed afterwards is a grinding sound from the engine. It drives fine anyway but I'm concerned with the noise. Infact I drove it from Port-Harcourt to Lagos three weeks ago with that sound without any problem and I'm still using it till date. I took it to 3 different mechanics who attributed the sound to the cam shaft. One suggested I change the entire top cylinder because according to him, the cam shafts cannot be manually adjusted, while the other gave me a bill of 150k to rebuild the entire engine due to the blue smoke in the mornings. 

Following faults were pointed out to me after my discussion with 3 different mechanics:
1. Bad positioning of timing chain which will require an adjustment.
2. Bad positioning of cam shafts.
3. Early morning smoke was attributed to low quality of piston ring used in rebuilding the engine. Replacement of the ring was suggested.
4. Bad positioning of valves.

I am thinking of buying an entire engine to avoid further rip off and mechanical "wahalas" but will need your advice on this.

I await your kind advice.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Feb 20, 2011
I doubt your piston rings were worn. And if they were, they're replaced, and the cylinder bores honed to aid bedding in. Conrods are seldom replaced, unless they're bent, or have worn journals. So, that was the first rip-off.

As the blue smoke is visible on start-up (first thing in the morning) I would attribute it to worn valve stem seals; oil will run down the stems overnight, or after long periods of not being run. It will burn off when the engine's first run from cold. The valve stem seals are relatively easy to replace, can be done with the cylinder head in situ, though the less experienced mechanics will remove the cylinder head to do the job. Some may even insist on cylinder head, or complete engine replacement. Nigerian mechanics are lazy when it comes to rebuilds.

As per the grinding, possibly a worn camshaft, due to oil starvation. It'll get worse, not better.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by John3161(m): 10:39pm On Feb 20, 2011
Thanks a bunch Sienna for your prompt response. I am unable to find a very reliable mechanic here, the dealership here are even worse and I'm tired of further rip offs. Do you suggest I replace the engine or do you have a good mechanic you can recommentd to me? I live and work in Lagos.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by Nobody: 10:52pm On Feb 20, 2011
Unfortunately, as I don't live in Nigeria, I can't recommend any decent mechanic.

If you can get a replacement engine, fitted for a good price, by all means, go for it. I would be inclined to keep the old engine somewhere safe though.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by KunleA2(m): 6:40am On Feb 21, 2011
I saw this. i will have to defer to Siena on this one. This one pass me. He is the master of engine rebuild

I wish i can help more.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by John3161(m): 6:45am On Feb 21, 2011
Siena:

Unfortunately, as I don't live in Nigeria, I can't recommend any decent mechanic.

If you can get a replacement engine, fitted for a good price, by all means, go for it. I would be inclined to keep the old engine somewhere safe though.

Thanks Sienna. I guess it will be wise for me to get a replacement engine if I'm unable to find a good mechanic.
Can somebody pls advice me on where i can get a good replacement engine at a reasonable price.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by John3161(m): 6:49am On Feb 21, 2011
Kunle-A:

I saw this. i will have to defer to Siena on this one. This one pass me. He is the master of engine rebuild

I wish i can help more.

Thanks Kunle. I'm also sourcing for a replacement engine. I'm sure any of you can help me out on this. I dont mind paying 100% upfront.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by KunleA2(m): 7:01am On Feb 21, 2011
Ok. i will be on the lookout. What are ur engine specs?
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by John3161(m): 7:06am On Feb 21, 2011
@Kunle.

Year: 2006
4 Cylinder (DOHC)
2.4 ltr
Manual transmission.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by Nobody: 8:46am On Feb 21, 2011
There are Hyundai breakers here, but shipping won't come cheap. I advise you exhaust all available options in Nigeria first, if no luck, then I'm sure Kunle will be able to source you a good used engine, I can also do the same here.

Best of luck.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by John3161(m): 9:54am On Feb 21, 2011
@ Siena,
I need to speak with you ASAP
Will appreciate if you could send your email and phone number to my mailbox: keleniks@ymail.com.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by Fhemmmy: 4:36pm On Feb 21, 2011
Siena has said it all . . . . what more could i say?
Good luck, have you had it scanned though ?
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 21, 2011
John, email sent.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by mdautotec(m): 11:16pm On Feb 21, 2011
Greetings!
We have a full fledged automobile workshop, and may be able to assist you on diagnosis of your engine problem.

We will run a full diagnostics (including scan - Launch X431) for a basic fee of 6,500. We are also direct importers of Hyundai, Kia, and Toyota parts.

You may please visit us at www.hamanigeria.com or contact us directly on the numbers / address below:

HAMA Enterprises (Nig.) Ltd.
Iddo Railway park
Chisco Transport Compound
(opposite Leventis building / Iddo house)
Iddo
Lagos
Tel: (01) 4803883 / 7749560

Best regards
Manoj Dadlani
Mobile: 08026158430 / 01-7764590
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by John3161(m): 1:31pm On Feb 22, 2011
Siena:

John, email sent.

Hi Bro,
Pls let me know the right time to get you on phone. Called earlier but the calls were diverted to your answering machine.
Cheers.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by mdautotec(m): 1:57pm On Feb 22, 2011
Greetings John,
You may please contact me before 3pm or after 6pm today.

Unfortunately it must have been a network issue not being able to reach me.

Thanks & regards

ManojDadlani
HAMA Enterprises (Nig.) Ltd.
Iddo Railway park
Chisco Transport Compound
(opposite Leventis building / Iddo house)
Iddo
Lagos
Tel: (01) 4803883 / 7749560
Mobile: 08026158430 / 01-7764590
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 22, 2011
John 3:16:

Hi Bro,
Pls let me know the right time to get you on phone. Called earlier but the calls were diverted to your answering machine.
Cheers.

Sorry John, I got your missed call - I was driving most of the day, so couldn't answer at the time. You can call any time that suits you.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by John3161(m): 6:36am On Feb 26, 2011
Siena:

Sorry John, I got your missed call - I was driving most of the day, so couldn't answer at the time. You can call any time that suits you.

I guess you must have bee so busy these days. Hope I'm not bugging you with my calls?
Sent U an e-mail yesterday.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 26, 2011
You're not bugging me at all, John.
Re: ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. by Sannmmy: 8:50pm On Mar 02, 2011
do they rebuild engines in Nigeria? Honing and stuffs like that?

(1) (Reply)

Change Of Ownership Procedures Pls / Honda Accord Tire Size / Running A Car On Gasoline And Propane At The Same Time To Improve MPG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.