Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,344 members, 7,808,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos (10577 Views)

Foreign Movies Copied Into The Nigerian Home Videos / Will Nigerian Home Videos Run Out Of Titles? / Osoufia in London: Nigerian Home Video/VCD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by dominobaby(f): 5:46pm On Jun 26, 2005
In view of what Angelgal said in 'Your Favorite Nigerian Movies', there are a lot of things we notice. [Common] flaws, so to say, in Nigerian videos.

Angelgal stated:
[I]"Yeah talking about the flaws, hairstyles tend to be the same several years later in the movie. A poor beggar once classy still has her expensive plastic nails on, years later too![/I] "

Most of us watch home videos don't we, identify some flaws you notice or something so typical of Nigerian videos.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by dominobaby(f): 5:51pm On Jun 26, 2005
To begin with, half the time of disc 1 of Part one of the said movie is full of adverts. angry

Moreso, the end of the film is always with "To God Be the Glory" and "Watch out for part 2"
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Greatpeter(m): 6:56pm On Jun 26, 2005
You can easily preempt Nigerian movie while watching. The style is just thesame.
You will know how it will end.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by DASKACE(m): 11:44am On Jun 27, 2005
Stories are recycled over and over again. Just like Greatpeter said, U can prempt Nigerian movies by taking a look at the title.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by IAH(f): 3:45pm On Jun 27, 2005
1. They advertise by screaming and shouting; "Ori eja! Ori eja!! Ori eja!!! Suspense! Action!! Thrilling!!! Ori Eja! Now on[b] Fi[/b]deo and [b]Fi[/b]CD. Ori eja!!! Grap your copy NOWWWW!!!!

2. A mother who has just lost her child will still have make-up, wig, rings on ten fingers and stiletto shoes on.

3. When mobile phones just got to Naija, they would really focus their cameras on it when it's ringing, and the actors too would be holding it as if.... grin I wonder what they'll be focusing their cameras on now.

etc.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by shockreaction(m): 4:01pm On Jun 27, 2005
dominobaby:

"Watch out for part 2"

Exactly!
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by whizkid(f): 4:56pm On Jun 27, 2005
Can't they do better with gun shots, it usually sounds like knock-out and banger.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Pinky(f): 9:38pm On Jun 27, 2005
IAH:

1. They advertise by screaming and shouting; "Ori eja! Ori eja!! Ori eja!!! Suspense! Action!! Thrilling!!! Ori Eja!  Now on[b] Fi[/b]deo and [b]Fi[/b]CD. Ori eja!!! Grap your copy NOWWWW!!!!

IAH i am laughing with tears flowing freely from my eyes o!! u gat the ori eja stuff well.... i am picturing u shouting it now...
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Pinky(f): 9:45pm On Jun 27, 2005
dominobaby:

Moreso,  the end of the film is always with "To God Be the Glory" and "Watch out for part 2"
who would u rather have them give the glory to? GOD of course..
but the part 2 thingie is something else. o!. all the nigerian films out now
{especially IBO films} do have part 2..... in part 1, they will so much drag the film {even if its an interesting 1} u'll start to forward every scene u watch........

for those u dont get to see watch out for part 2... u will discover they just decided no to write that for angry viewers like us but in true fact, the part one dint show the end of the film
i suddenly became an occasional viewer of all this nonsense films.... i'ld rather watch an american film & get satisfied..
i[i] wonder if some producers dont ever get to read their scripts all over or watch the film b4 feeding we d public with rubbish of the highest order[/i]
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by hotangel2(f): 4:44am On Jun 28, 2005
dominobaby:

To begin with, half the time of disc 1 of Part one of the said movie is full of adverts. angry

Moreso, the end of the film is always with "To God Be the Glory" and "Watch out for part 2"

My uncle said "To God Be the Glory" is a very famous Nigerian actor. That was so funny

Some flaws i see in Nigerian movies are:

1. some of the actors behave as if they were forced on set..(They are looking at the camera as though it's a bag full of Gold), No life in most of them..they just talk and talk and at the long run, cry as if they laughing. rolleyes

2. When someone goes to jail, they tend to OVER make up the person and then they write "Three weeks later", then the person becomes VERy normal without bruices on his face. NO matter how many treatement the person got... There should still be some bruices on their faces.

3. I know this is not just me but have you guys noticed that most of the actors/actresses call someone else another person's name...and the editors don't edit it. This doesn't happen always but i am sure i have seen it in majority of movies.

4. The movie i saw of recent, "total disgrace", was a total disgrace to Nigeria's economy. There was a scene where eucharia had to check the text message someone sent and blah blah...and she was using a flip phone, they flip phone was showing the color of her cloth through the front side, I mean it was obvious that they were using a calculator phone a mirror. Everyone in Nigeria has cell phones now, I see no reason why someone can't send another person a text message and then they show the exact message to us, I mean make something REAL. let's read the words. try to be original.

I hate Nigeria movies. I don't like counting their flaws. It makes me sick and wanna throw up. Jeez! I wish they grow up from being drama's and actually become movies.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Vieira(m): 11:05am On Jun 28, 2005
does bad acting count as a flaw?

or baba suwe always looking at the camera?

or in the english movies, the way they speak english is not natural at all! Instead of speaking broken or even english the way we do it in Naija, they will now start to try and talk in a very formal manner! It just looks and sounds unnatural most of the time. that is why i prefer the ones with yoruba or broken.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 28, 2005
Nigerian movies haven't mastered the art of going back to the past. When shooting a scene like a flash back that's supposed to be aroung the 1980's it still looks like it's 2005. I guess it's all to do with the finance.

I watch Nigerian films in 30 minutes. Just forward and forward because the acts are so predictable.

No suspense. 99% of nigerian films were created on half baked sripts

In foreign films every scene/little thing done has a meaning. In nigerian films they could show a couple packing into a new house for 10 minutes, when the only message being put across is that they packed into a new house.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by JustBlaze1(m): 2:36pm On Jun 29, 2005
I saw a niaja film recently and in the scene, a guy was shot with a revolver gun that didnt have the revolving bullet compartment. I wonder where the bullets came from?
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by skull: 2:38pm On Jun 29, 2005
we need to be more reaalistic, imagine a taxi driver living in a duplex, just because that  part was acted by a renowned actor
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by dominobaby(f): 10:38am On Jul 02, 2005
You guys have my ribs in parts!
"Nice" flaws. lol

Pinky of course the Glory is to God.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by omon(m): 12:19pm On Jul 02, 2005
Why do they always end up shouting!!! in Nigerian movies? They hardly know how to show different emotions. I don't think every natural Nigerian shouts all the time.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by bootysue(f): 1:37pm On Jul 02, 2005
i wonder why we still dont have movie critics in nigeria yet. sometimes i want to give out some of our films to colleagues at work but seeing the usual daft mistakes prevents me from doing such, we have a long way to go, but am sure we will get there with live critics coming on air regularly. we see things like-

girls still wearing lipgloss/ lipsticks when in bed, especially after having sex

colour of clothes suddenly changing e.g from black to white after a gun shot

uneccessary waste of time in various scenes, even the dumbest man would know what is expected

u can predict the storyline from the name, espically when all the soundtracks says it all out.

always too much volume, rather, noise and echo

and pls,not all famous actresses/ actors can act all roles even though they force them to

finally,yoruba film makers should be banned from translating the message in english as this can cause headache . the eglish ones as well should learn things about looking and acting posh (especially when they are acting that role) from people like rmd, rita dominic, stella
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 02, 2005
Nigerian films never give a summary of the film's storyline in their CD covers/cassette covers. just pictures, pictures and more damn pictures. how then do they expect one to find out if a film is worth watching?
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Dorcas(f): 5:46pm On Jul 04, 2005
well apart from there always being a part two the part two of all Naija movies are always unnecessary because it always seems as if the story had already ended in part to one so all they do is flash back on part one in part two ans just add a little bit to end to movie which i think is terrible.

Don't they see how South Africans act movies? then instead of them to act like Naijarian the adopt oyinbo style and start speaking phoenee.....
why can't we be ourselves for Christs sakes infact i don't understand...walahi.

You can imagine that someone supposed to be dressed for bed or someone having a bath still has make up on or is still wearing jewelries.

Then someone playing the role of a millionaire in a hummer jeep puts on cheep clothes,shoes and the likes i mean when you play a role play it through and through.

I can go on and on but as bootysue said " we have a long way to go but, we will get there with live critics coming on air regularly." I hope we get there fast though cos it's becoming embarrassing.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Greatpeter(m): 6:17pm On Jul 04, 2005
Eh eh! Leave South Africa alone in this matter. We are still best in Africa. Our artists are trying but thier trials are not enough. South Africa artists aren't better than Nigerian artists.
Take it or leave it.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Dorcas(f): 9:35am On Jul 05, 2005
well sorry Greatpeter if you do not like my opinion but that's mine anyway, that is why you are entitle to your.

Dorcas.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by dominobaby(f): 5:03pm On Jul 06, 2005
also, their only romantic scenes are always two couples running at the beach, gosh when will they think of something else rolleyes
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by hotangel2(f): 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2005
Oh wait!! That is great, at least they are running. The another most romanic i have seen is when the girl will be on the bed moaning and groaning whn nothing is inside her, I mean the guy is just hugging her and the rolling on the bed, and then she will be bitting her lips, when OBVIOUSLy they are both fully clothe. It annoys me alot!
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by angelak(f): 10:50am On Jul 07, 2005
The most common flaws in Nigerian movies is their poor endings. they end so abruptly and senselessly also their films are easily predictable you can know the way the film will end from the beginning . Another annoying thing is the way they drag certain scenes ie in billionaires club part 2 the wedding scene was dragged on for close to 20 minutes, if not more. This is done to ensure that a part 2 or 3 will follow.

The most annoying flaw is related to their action films. the sound of the gun, the gun itself and then they way they supposedly die. it gets really embarrassing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by babe(f): 5:13pm On Jul 14, 2005
IAH, i am rolling with tears.

their horror movie is so stupid that, it actually becomes horror to me.

how can someone who just woke up in bed, have make up on

how can a rich girl be driving a old benz?

i am always embarrassed to give my coworkers nigerian movies

i fast forward alot and watch the movie in like 30mins
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Ra(f): 5:39pm On Jul 14, 2005
Time.

I really wish Nigerian film makers would look into the issue of time wastage. Flashbacks are the order of the day and it can be terribly annoying. I see a lot of Nigerian movies and I must say I am continually impressed but let's get rid of the load of 'rubbish' we pack in the films to drag them on endlessly.

If irrelevant parts can be edited, people would love these films even more.

My humble opinion.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Bibi(m): 3:18pm On Jul 16, 2005
I enjoy Nigerian movies, they remind me so much of the violence at home, the Negative attitude of the average Nigerian that drives them on the crazy edge, the absurd reality of affluence and sow nothing reap plenty culture. They are key to promoting the decadence in our society, especially the so called 419s and get rich quick syndrome. This does not mean that we don't have a few intelligent producers, who go after the quality of the story, the pictures and the actors.

Many of us enjoy Nigerian movies, not necessarily for the creativity (very very few), but just pure entertainment. However, with Nollywood, the Nigerian movies industry is challenging Hollywood and Bollywood. Does Nollywood really have what it takes, I see this as the typical Nigerian noise, usually very loud with little or no substance.

Be that as it may, the Nigerian movie industry started more than a decade ago and still today, is basking only in home movies glory. No Cinema quality movies. The quality is seriously missing both in concept, creativity in production, and quality of the pictures. I bet anyone with a Camcorder is a movie producer.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by kazey(m): 6:06pm On Jul 16, 2005
Just curious, how long have you left Nigeria? And where are you located?

I am asking because of the kind of negative impression you have instilled in you about Nigeria. And people like you together with Nigerian Journalists have really caused a lot of damages to that great name Nigeria. Instead of promoting the good name of Nigeria abroad, you go on blabbering about the bad part of Nigeria.

Why not talk about the rich cultures arround us, like other eastern countries do? That doesnt mean they do not have The Violence or so called Absurd Reality. I am really dissapointed.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by dominobaby(f): 7:31pm On Jul 16, 2005
when you see "TWO/THREE/FOUR/TEN YEARS LATER" one wonders why the actors/actresses still are with same hairstyle! angry
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Chxta(m): 7:35pm On Jul 17, 2005
They are too many to start enumerating!!!
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Ra(f): 9:02pm On Jul 17, 2005
@ dominobaby, great point. I often wonder how film makers and pruducers can afford to forget the fact that the guy is wearing the very same shirt ...lehin odun meedogbon' after 25 years.
Re: Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos by Seun(m): 10:27pm On Jul 17, 2005
The average budget for these films are very low, and so they usually have to shoot the whole movie in two weeks or so. So when they are not able to shoot everything properly in the alloted time period they rely on the editor to make the best use of whatever they have. So to raise the standard we really need financers that are ready to spend more money for each film and try to make more money per movie.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Download Mamba’s Diamond By Williams Uchemba Movie MP4 Video / Screenwriter, Tomi Adesina Accuses Irokotv Of “swings” Copyright Infringement / Netflix Vs Amazon Prime Video - My Honest Opinion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.