Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,148 members, 7,807,475 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? (13906 Views)

African Culture Is Dying! / How Prominent Is African History/cultures In Primary(and Up) Schools / Western Culture Vs African Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by HiiiPower(m): 7:15pm On Jul 27, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: I Once heard this girl call another girl Niggrett at the mall. grin grin grin

What's "Niggrett?" tongue
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:24pm On Jul 27, 2012
HiiiPower:

Same thing i said. cheesy And then i searched for it in the urban dictionary. Heres a link:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Nigret
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by MrsChima(f): 7:28pm On Jul 27, 2012
HiiiPower:

Niggress
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 27, 2012
Royal-VII:

..Is This Clown Serious?...

Aye Blyss it's time you bring that Supreme Be alter ego out of retirement, time for us to start clowning these boys.

Lol.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 27, 2012
LOL @ Royal getting all ghetto all up in here grin grin grin tongue
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Blyss: 8:42pm On Jul 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Tell that to the fat ladies who are being called phat.

[img]http://2.bp..com/_EdfAT7f8R7E/SSs5Il9mJWI/AAAAAAAABXo/24eHrqy7nkk/s400/phat_2.gif[/img]

I see you're not too bright; your comprehension sills are horrid.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 27, 2012
Blyss:

I see you're not too bright; your comprehension sills are horrid.

I see.

You're as bright as a neon crayon.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Blyss: 8:50pm On Jul 27, 2012
Royal-VII:
Mouthafoukas living on water in their main city...calling "us culture" ghetto Lmfaoo

Hilarious....These snobbish nigerians need a reality check...LmL

There is no culture more ghetto in the entire world than the cultures that exist in Mother Africa.

Stop pretending.

Eh, now you know why I do what I do around here. cheesy I learned a long azz time ago that this is the only way to effectively deal with alot of these cats round here. You've got to get down on there level, deep in the shanty gutter with them. As you've noticed, I don't even front anymore with these dudes, I just bust in the place swinging the big stick across their big azz heads. cheesy
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Blyss: 8:58pm On Jul 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I see.

You're as bright as a neon crayon.

LOL @ this child lacking the mental capacity to respond properly.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jul 27, 2012
Blyss:

LOL @ this child lacking the mental capacity to respond properly.

It would make more sense if you had shown this mental capacity to respond properly. Your replies aren't helping a bit.

In today's world, phat=fat amongst a certain group, just as Nigger=nigga amongst a certain group.

Phat is just another subtle, nice way obese women like to describe themselves. Nigga, as described by pleep, is a subtle alteration of the world nigger.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:08pm On Jul 27, 2012
Royal-VII:
Mouthafoukas living on water in their main city...calling "us culture" ghetto Lmfaoo

Hilarious....These snobbish nigerians need a reality check...LmL

There is no culture more ghetto in the entire world than the cultures that exist in Mother Africa.

Stop pretending.

Some of those people aren't actually Nigerians (some are from the Republic of Benin), but those that are Nigerians and those that aren't Nigerians aren't necessarily "ghetto" merely by living a poor lifestyle in the water. I'd compare them more to "swamp people" in Louisiana and Florida in the U.S. than to actual "ghetto" youths in a Brazilian favela or tsotsis in townships in South Africa.

So called "ghetto culture" mainly arises in westernized or semi-westernized, poor, urban areas.

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 27, 2012
Hey does anyone know which network the Olympics is going to aired??
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:12pm On Jul 27, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Same thing i said. cheesy And then i searched for it in the urban dictionary. Heres a link:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Nigret

lol, the example under the first definition is the funniest bit of racism I've come across in a while:

"Flonzel woke up in the hospital nigretting the way he acted towards those Police Officers."

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by anonymous6(f): 9:17pm On Jul 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Hey does anyone know which network the Olympics is going to aired??

NBC & BBC world; but I prefer the BBC one; I am watching BBC world right now, broadcast is very good.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 27, 2012
anonymous6:

NBC & BBC, but I prefer the BBC one; I am watching BBC world roght now it is good

Thanks. That's what I told am o.

It's funny how the Olympics is not hyped as much as the 2008 one. I even forgot it was today until somborry invited me over to watch it.
The economy, perhaps.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by anonymous6(f): 9:22pm On Jul 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Thanks. That's what I told am o.

It's funny how the Olympics is not hyped as much as the 2008 one. I even forgot it was today until somborry invited me over to watch it.
The economy, perhaps.

It is true, it was my father that kept talking about it that reminded me of it, he wants to see when Nigeria comes out in the opening ceremony.
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jul 27, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Some of those people aren't actually Nigerians (some are from the Republic of Benin), but those that are Nigerians and those that aren't Nigerians aren't necessarily "ghetto" merely by living a poor lifestyle in the water. I'd compare them more to "swamp people" in Louisiana and Florida in the U.S. than to actual "ghetto" youths in a Brazilian favela or tsotsis in townships in South Africa.

So called "ghetto culture" mainly arises in westernized or semi-westernized, poor, urban areas.

LmL Stop It. You are Embarrassing yourself.

Not Only are you redefining the word Ghetto by your own biased motives and agenda...(I posted the definition in this thread)

Your Last line was just outrageous.

There were also many areas throughout Lagos that were represented besides the people living on water

They would all fall under the classification of Ghetto.

This obsession with the "West" and Blaming the "West" for supposedly making west africans "Ghetto" is one of the most absurd assertions to have ever been written .

I defined ghetto in this thread already.

Explain what negative Influences The "West" has given the great beautiful classy pure nation of nigeria that was not Already There Prior to your Lagos resident population's obsession with copying our Music.

I would love to debate this while i am currently watching the Olympics...by all means...explain what our horrible "western culture" has done to these Beautiful Peace loving quiet humble highly intelligent people.

I guess our Country's music artist have made all of your women promiscuous and careless with their sexxxual partners as well?

Despite Nigeria having the second most Aids Patients in the Entire World...

I guess western music caused that...

I suppose western Music Caused Cigarette Smoking...Drug Use...Lagos Street Gangs...And High End Scale Prostitution as Well...

by the way, allot me to post the definition of the word again, seeing as how you apparently missed the definitive meaning the first time prior to typing out your post

ghet·to
   [get-oh] Show IPA
noun, plural ghet·tos, ghet·toes.
a section of a city, especially a[b] thickly populated slum area,[/b] inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships.

a : an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b : a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity <the pink-collar ghetto>

I also put certain words in Bold to help you out. wink

By all means...Please Clarify what exactly did the "west" do to your wonderful people....

Take the Floor...

7 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 27, 2012
Truth be Told The Thread Title should be fLIpped around....Not sure if many here are even capable of understanding what i just wrote with that line just now...LmL

The Former is an Insult to the Latter on a WorldWide Scale

..Therefor technically the thread should be reversed.

Lets keep it real Now.
cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Ybutterfly: 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2012

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 27, 2012
Why everytime there is a serious discussion in one of "pleeps" threads "yButterfly" magically appears out of no where to troll?

Lmfao https://www.nairaland.com/994844/mixed-people-should-not-considered

grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Ybutterfly: 9:47pm On Jul 27, 2012

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2012
Check out the Video Below....It's hard to believe this is a real discussion....

I guess Corny American Rap Music is to Blame for the Lovely CLassy Ladies in the Video Below....

Once Again is this a serious conversation?....LmL

[img]http://cas1.elis.ugent.be/avrug/illmil/lagos02.jpg[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/_pyIBhtN_0F4/Swm0b_Zat7I/AAAAAAAACFQ/Uy_AuYJIti8/s1600/aba.jpg[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn5spCoxGGk&list=FLeccyvX3gqz6LoAZNLqKL5A&index=122&feature=plpp_video

11 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2012
Royal, I think you're trying to be "clever by half" or being mischievous in pretending that you don't know what is meant by "ghetto culture", especially considering that you earlier claimed explicitly above that

(despite not being an expert on all of these cultures)

Now look again at the very literal and strict definition you posted of "ghetto" in your later comment.

There is no way, in light of that definition and that definition only, to really claim that a culture is ghetto. But you already did make that claim - so you acknowledged and were aware of what everybody else in this thread was talking about - the perpetuation, toleration, and the acceptance within a culture as even slightly normal of unpleasant and wayward social behaviors from the lower classes from slum areas in cities. That was what the thread starter was worried about - what would ordinarily be considered socially wayward behavior becoming more and more normal to people.

And no, actually I would disagree with the idea that these wayward social behaviors would have been seriously tolerated and treated as normal behaviors within the cultures prior to westernization because of what I've read about many of these cultures prior to westernization.

The rest of what you posted is rather irrelevant and seems like you're trying to go off into arguments about different issues that I never even brought up.

3 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Ybutterfly: 9:54pm On Jul 27, 2012
^^^^^^^^I CAANNNT WAITTT FOR THEEEE AKATTTTA TROUBLEMAKKKER^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 27, 2012
Stop Typing Nonsense....

Ghetto "Culture" is Formed through Ghetto Lifestyle and Ghetto Living Conditions.

Now take another 16 minutes and type a half way decent reply without such nonsense as to pretending not to know that

"Culture" Is the Child

And

"Ghetto is the Mother... wink

..Go ahead ..Ill wait...LmL

9 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jul 27, 2012
Are you going to answer the question that I originally Posed?..Or type another reply and try to walk sideways on how i pointed out the fact you did not know the definitive meaning of the word "Ghetto"....

?... wink lol

By all means...Please Clarify what exactly did the "west" do to your wonderful people....

Take the Floor...

7 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 27, 2012
LmL@the dude editing the post 3 different times...Lol

Answer the Question Brah...we already saw you how you failed on your understanding of what ghetto means

Now explain how the west has corrupted this..."Culture"..That was already beyond what would classify ghetto to begin with.

.... cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:02pm On Jul 27, 2012
If you really think that any and every kind of lifestyle that is financially poor results in the same kind of social behaviors, then I probably will never agree with you on this topic.

The townships of south Africa are a result of "social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships" from an earlier era and not surprisingly, there is some significant difference between the social behaviors coming from there and the social behaviors of some poor people living on stilt houses or using canoes in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by anonymous6(f): 10:02pm On Jul 27, 2012
PhysicsQED: Royal, I think you're trying to be "clever by half" or being mischievous in pretending that you don't know what is meant by "ghetto culture", especially considering that you earlier claimed explicitly above that

(despite not being an expert on all of these cultures)

Now look again at the very literal and strict definition you posted of "ghetto" in your later comment.

There is no way, in light of that definition and that definition only, to really claim that a culture is ghetto. But you already did make that claim - so you acknowledged and were aware of what everybody else in this thread was talking about - the perpetuation, toleration, and the acceptance within a culture as even slightly normal of unpleasant and wayward social behaviors from the lower classes from slum areas in cities. That was what the thread starter was worried about - what would ordinarily be considered socially wayward behavior becoming more and more normal to people.

And no, actually I would disagree with the idea that these wayward social behaviors would have been seriously tolerated and treated as normal behaviors within the cultures prior to westernization because of what I've read about many of these cultures prior to westernization.

The rest of what you posted is rather irrelevant and seems like you're trying to go off into arguments about different issues that I never even brought up.

I agree with you and understand what you are saying, can I ask, are you Nigerian?
Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jul 27, 2012
PhysicsQED: If you really think that any and every kind of lifestyle that is financially poor results in the same kind of social behaviors, then I probably will never agree with you on this topic.

The townships of south Africa are a result of "social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships" from an earlier era and not surprisingly, there is some significant difference between the social behaviors coming from there and the social behaviors of some poor people living on stilt houses or using canoes in Lagos.

More random bloviating

Stick to the Subject and Answer the Question.....

And your first sentence and assessment of my original assertion is incorrect

Now are you going to answer the question?

Or Randomly talk about south african politics and swamp people from Louisiana Florida again? LmL

8 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:06pm On Jul 27, 2012
Royal-VII:
LmL@the dude editing the post 3 different times...Lol

Answer the Question Brah...we already saw you how you failed on your understanding of what ghetto means

Now explain how the west has corrupted this..."Culture"..That was already beyond what would classify ghetto to begin with.

.... cheesy

I edited it to add more information and change a few words. The actual meaning and message in the final edited post and the original post are actually identical, but I removed words that I thought might be offensive (such as describing the behavior I was talking about as "degenerate", not just wayward and unpleasant).

I understood the topic, and so did you, but now you're getting into arguments about semantics that I don't really care about.

2 Likes

Re: Is African Culture Becoming Ghetto Culture? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:06pm On Jul 27, 2012
anonymous6:

I agree with you and understand what you are saying, can I ask, are you Nigerian?

Yeah.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" / Yorubas From Ijebu Are Descendents of North Sudan's Nubians / The Origin Of The 4 Market Days In Igboland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.