Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! (59710 Views)

My Experience With Naija Rats (photo) / Dirty Habits We Should Get Rid Of / How Do I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by blank(f): 6:46pm On Feb 24, 2011
I once had this problem. When i first moved in, it was a little mouse. Then one day, i returned home 4rm work n saw the mouse torn 2 shreds. I was so happy not knowing that it was a smelly rat wit pointed nose dat had done it.

The smell was indescribable. It crawls through d drainage in d bathroom and ate thru d covering 2 do its work. I put a very big stone 2 block d hole but after a couple of days of peace it learnt 2 push it away.

This fight was not of men but God gave me strenght. I used poison, nothing. Used rat trap n gum, stil nothing. In fact, i had one regular customer where i used 2 buy rat stuff in traffic. When i had had enough i jejely moved out. :-)

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Outstrip(f): 6:48pm On Feb 24, 2011
Are you sure it was not a small hungry child? Pushed the stone away ke
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by uchennaq(m): 7:01pm On Feb 24, 2011
[size=20pt]why are you complaining, GOD has blessed you with enough meat and you don't even know. Remember you have being praying to GOD for food. That is how people lose their blessings, they look at the wrong place.[/size]
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by tithe(m): 7:02pm On Feb 24, 2011
I have tried all these suggestions,

A, Gum trap is just for 2days old rat not for these ones, when i used it they turned it upside down, even if they didn't they will walk over it like working over the sea.

B, Indocide is already in their awareness program, they don't dare

C, Snake? i have not thought of that, am only getting rid of rats not myself.

7 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by fyneguy: 7:15pm On Feb 24, 2011
The most effective and cost-effective biological control for rats is A WISTAR RAT (see the picture below).

This option comes with a proviso- BE FRIENDLY WITH THE WISTAR RAT- make it your pet. The wistar though looks too weak for the pesty rats, it feeds on them.

Within 2 days of introducing the wistar, you shall see black rats no more. However, if you are hostile to the wistar, your problem is quadrupled, to say the least, as the wistar befriends the blacks and crossbreeds to produce a more destructive breed of rats which invade, not only your house, but your entire neighbourhood, like JTF on a mission to the creeks.

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 7:19pm On Feb 24, 2011
^^sounds like sci-fi.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by tlops(m): 7:54pm On Feb 24, 2011
tithe:

A, Gum trap is just for 2days old rat not for these ones, when i used it they turned it upside down, even if they didn't they will walk over it like working over the sea.

seems like rats have more faith than the poster, walking on mouse trap waters.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by ikamefa(f): 8:33pm On Feb 24, 2011
siena:

Eeeew, 'Kamefa! I've just abandoned my breakfast
sorry siena just had to do that!, wanted to know the caliber of rats we're dealing with on the thread  grin grin grin

baby me:

Ikamefa your rats are disgusting. Ermmm, do u actually live with all of them?

yes i do ! we live in your kitchen pipes ,in your basement, we actually have a  cooking -show every Tuesday night when u are busy upstairs the show is called  African-Ratatouille   cheesy
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by SeniF: 8:39pm On Feb 24, 2011
Hi, saw your post about rats, would have gone through the entire posts but kinda tired, its been a heavy day. I'm into pest control and i have a solution for you. Rats just don't appear in you house, they find a way to get in. Now, you need to follow these steps.

1) find and block all access route used by the rats with materials that they cant chew. If you cant, get an expert carpenter to help you.

2)find other possible places that are identical or look like a possible route and block with the same material. Rats will find alternative routes when former is blocked

3) For non chemical rodent bait approach you can buy the common rat glue that is been sold around and place them at strategic rat routes to take care of those trapped in the house that cant get out.

4) if they are very big, I'm sorry to say the glue might not work because of their size. You can get the common rat traps and place food stuffs like fish, crayfish or cooked food to attract them.

5) Another option is to get a professional pest control company to handle you problem.

With these simple methods you can keep you house rat free. When i moved into my new house, i realised my environment was good for rats to breed in large number and become a problem to me. I just made sure that all windows and doors were properly fitted so that rats cant get in and its been 2 years and not a single rat in my home but i see them running around the neighbourhood. You also need to insure all windows and doors are properly shut at all times.

i wish you the very best.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Princek12(m): 8:41pm On Feb 24, 2011
poster, na only you like good living? abi na only want curly hair?
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Fairboy(m): 8:55pm On Feb 24, 2011
I strongly suggest that you bring in Alsatian cats to tackle this problem, they eat any kind of rat, both wild and domestic ones

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by babseg(m): 9:12pm On Feb 24, 2011
I am rattologist I studied it at the uni of  GEJ. Trust me on this try to kill one of the rats and write a note with its blood and place it beside the dead rat  saying ONE DOWN. Better still start eating them.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Outstrip(f): 9:12pm On Feb 24, 2011
tithe:

ROTFLMAO. Please this is getting too much. Are you sure they are rats? Maybe they are grasscutters
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by snthesis(m): 9:49pm On Feb 24, 2011
 =)) ˚°◦hahahaha <//>.
_\\_
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by LA2(m): 9:49pm On Feb 24, 2011
Why do you want to get rid of them? Count your blessings and start a 'bush meat' peeper soup joint.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by cold(m): 9:50pm On Feb 24, 2011
When i was still running a poultry i suffered from the op's predicament.Ol' boy those rats were a menace,i'd arrive the poultry one morning and discover a chicken had been decapitated  shocked no exaggerations.So i consulted some of my customers on how they preserve their eggs from rats & one of them recommended some kind of poison,it's called shayin bera (rat tea).It's bluish in color,you sprinkle it in water and put it in strategic places.The first time I tried it i arrived the next day & counted 112 dead rats  shocked.It worked like magic,the next day 89 & the next 64 it kept decreasing to the barest minimum cuz in truth you can't entirely decimate a rat population around a farm.

When they start to avoid the water i'll apply it all over fish or sprinkle it in cracked eggs & also through crevices whilst patching up holes & fumigating breeding grounds.Damn!Those days were hectic  cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by 190: 10:04pm On Feb 24, 2011
shocked shocked shocked

112 rats thats like my entire village community !! grin grin

that kind thing na trailer them go take pack rat go roast for town ooh

112 rats nor be beans
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by cold(m): 10:08pm On Feb 24, 2011
Ma guy no be small tin o,i suffered grin.But i follow dem fire for fire
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Outstrip(f): 10:11pm On Feb 24, 2011
cold:

When i was still running a poultry i suffered from the op's predicament.Ol' boy those rats were a menace,i'd arrive the poultry one morning and discover a chicken had been decapitated  shocked no exaggerations.So i consulted some of my customers on how they preserve their eggs from rats & one of them recommended some kind of poison,it's called shayin bera (rat tea).It's bluish in color,you sprinkle it in water and put it in strategic places.The first time I tried it i arrived the next day & counted 112 dead rats  shocked.It worked like magic,the next day 89 & the next 64 it kept decreasing to the barest minimum cuz in truth you can't entirely decimate a rat population around a farm.

When they start to avoid the water i'll apply it all over fish or sprinkle it in cracked eggs & also through crevices whilst patching up holes & fumigating breeding grounds.Damn!Those days were hectic  cheesy

Thats like 200 rats right there. I would have left the chickens for them. Thats the kind of crap you see in horror movies. Imagine all those tails all moving at the same time. Scary

2 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by cold(m): 10:14pm On Feb 24, 2011
^^You wld have left 8000 birds for some nuseating pests?Are u kidding me
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by touchmeder: 10:18pm On Feb 24, 2011
All you need is a cat and contrary to what somone said here you dont need to clean their poo and all that. you wont even see where a cat poo. they are that clean
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Iysayah(m): 10:21pm On Feb 24, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin
i get rats too for my house! help, smelly ones with unusually long noses and they climb walls too. always running in my roof like they playing monkey post all night.i hardly sleep, my boss is beginning to notice how i come to work dazed!
what is otapia upia?
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by 190: 10:32pm On Feb 24, 2011
Thoes rats really dance 2 stay alive

[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQWPgQMHhQ&feature=player_embedded#at=164[/flash]
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by focusxo4: 11:05pm On Feb 24, 2011
This is a serious issue,rats are in every street of lagos, every house should be involved.try 2 keep ur
environment.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by seedord247(m): 11:13pm On Feb 24, 2011
poster why are you so stingy . . .  this people (rat) just come for vacation, I will advice you  to be giving them thier own personal food  before you eat yours.

Morning . . . .   UTC, UAC, or Mr Biggs Bread and buy this Togo bean (Ewa Goin)

Afternoon . . .  Jollof, Rice or fried Rice from MR biggs or as your wife to prepare one for them.

Evening. . . . .  Fried meat or fish I mean confirm fish like titus or cote cus they don't like cat fish at all.

If you can follow this preservation i offer you, i but you it will help before they vacate from your house.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by toyemz(f): 11:17pm On Feb 24, 2011
@ poster
use bleach
they mistake it for water
and they die
the only problem is the smell
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by busygirl(f): 12:01am On Feb 25, 2011
I HATE RATSSSSSSSSSSSS! There was a day I visited my uncle in London and they had loads of rats. For 3days straight, I couldn't sleep! I can't close eyes in a house with rats sad

2 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by seedord247(m): 12:02am On Feb 25, 2011
Rats in London?? . . . . hmmm kinda sound funny
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by busygirl(f): 12:11am On Feb 25, 2011
yes, there are rats in London! That was the first time I saw rats ever since I got to the U.K.

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Belexy(m): 12:25am On Feb 25, 2011
use kill and dry rat poison.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by seedord247(m): 12:26am On Feb 25, 2011
those rats in London must be looking fresh, educated also have FB account

3 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 1:12am On Feb 25, 2011
blazay mind yourself btw.

as we all know, my current boyfriend is a hot korean guy so plz desist from insulting my in laws. Who also happen to be on nl.

besides, nl's very own mobo444 used to be from there.

MOBO444:

am a 36 years old from South Korea and my wife and kids live in Seoul, South Korea, I work with the Korea embassy  in Nigeria, There is this lady that lives in my neighbourhood, she knows I am married, well anyway we always get together once in a while for casual sex  (we as a rule always use condom)and one day she spent the night in my house and after making love the first time we both slept off, later that night around 2 am  I found her making love on top of me without a condom, I was so annoyed I pushed her away, now what was she up to (1) To give me a disease (2) To get pregnant for me so i am forced to pay child support(3) She wanted sex skin contact (4) .
   She has in the past told me not to bother using a condom, but I always insisted, I am now very worried of Nigeria ladies, why are Nigeria ladies like this, WHY ARE NIGERIA LADIES BAD, they gold diggers, I HAVE HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCE WITH OTHER NIGERIA LADIES, I have worked in South Africa, Ghana, Mali, Kenya, Burundi, Egypt, Cote d ivoire and Congo and did not experience this and Nigeria ladies always after money, I am fed up and want to go back to my Country, is there no good Nigeria ladies out there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Connect With Someone Born On The Same Month & Day You Were Born! / World Shortest Married Couple In Brazil (Photos) / Their Children Saw Them Having Sex- Should They Be Bothered?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.