Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,188 members, 7,780,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:08 PM

Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! (59508 Views)

My Experience With Naija Rats (photo) / Dirty Habits We Should Get Rid Of / How Do I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 1:47am On Feb 25, 2011
lol, but u can attempt prayer too, its strange having rats everywhere espscially when the environment is tidy. smiley
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by adino(m): 2:18am On Feb 25, 2011
@Iysayah,
You have to be very very careful, those smelly rats with long noses are very deadly and poisonous,even snakes run away from them because they kill snakes easily. I knew about them years back in Benin when a popular woman in my area died as a result of been bitten by one of them. They are so rugged, they hardly die even when you hit them hard, rat poison do not kill them since they actually feed on it. Well, try and use rat gums(as many as possible) to catch them, use very powerful rat poison to kill them, block all possible access points, keep your house clean and make sure you fumigate your house. If you are not ready to fumigate your house, please pack out and leave that house for them. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by jensinmi(m): 5:15am On Feb 25, 2011
This is what you expect to happen when your pet baby python meets your house rats, or in this case, a gift rabbit for the python.

Photo1: The delightful process of constriction and asphyxiation of your unwanted house guests

Photo 2: Swallowing whole of your unwanted house guests

Photo 3: Oh,  sweet, sweet, release . . .  into the tummy.

Photo 4: Random photo we call "Trouser python"  grin grin grin grin

Hide your babies and pet cats though.

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by vanitty: 5:33am On Feb 25, 2011
tithe:

I have tried all these suggestions,

A, Gum trap is just for 2days old rat not for these ones, when i used it they turned it upside down, even if they didn't they will walk over it like working over the sea.

B, Indocide is already in their awareness program, they don't dare

C, Snake? i have not thought of that, am only getting rid of rats not myself.

LMAO LMAO.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Pweety4me(f): 6:00am On Feb 25, 2011
Omdzzz i can not stand those things!!
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by opeyemiolu(f): 6:05am On Feb 25, 2011
Just like someone has suggested and i av used the method and is the only one that works. Get this sticky gum thing from the guys in the traffic. buy like 4 and place them on the floor only at nite when it is dark so the rats will not c u placing them. i bet my dead grandfather u will see like 3 to 4 rats stuck the next morning. remove them and continue to use , in a week u will thank me. grin
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by 4Play(m): 6:41am On Feb 25, 2011
If all else fails and you are desperate, you can always go for overkill like this:

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by v3: 7:28am On Feb 25, 2011
Did someone say fumigation? Nah, it won't work. . Seem those rats/mosquitoes have a science lab somewhere where they take samples(from the bodies of their fallen comrades-in-arms) of these ota-piapia and the likes for testing and come-up with some kinda defense mechanism against it.

Seems you've got alot of good stuff in your crib cuz rats these days are classy and they mostly don't eat stuff from garbage cans, they go for the fresh ones **no wonder they grow fat** angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by DrLawrenc(m): 7:48am On Feb 25, 2011

Absolutely nothing you can do in Nigeria. Too many open dumpsters and unkempt bushes around the house.
I have always had that problem. . . no matter how clean the house is. They would always crawl in through the roof tops. . .eat all the yams/plantains/onions. The sordid state on NO-electricity situation does not help either.

The house is always stinking of dead roaches and dead rats. . . .and their poops! Gosh! I HATE them! I have learned to freeze all foodstuff or purchase things we want and cook them DAILY. No storage. Nothing left on the stoves or out of the freezer over night. NO DIRTY DISHES IN THE SINK!!! Keep all closets locked up! Avoid clutter. . . so they have no where to hide.

They drink milk, Custard and even drink juice, some of them are already developing black curly hair as evidence of good living

Very funny! Only that?

'Em nauseating things ate up one of my babies' feeding bottles and a whole pacifier, leaving only a tiny bit of a sourvenir for us to add insult to injury. You would never have known that the bottle or the pacifier ever existed. Big mistake leaving those things in the sink over night. . . .I mean raw harrrrrrrrd plastic! They would even eat stainless steel made by DUPONT!

One of the major turn-offs visiting Nigeria. I can't stand those ugly things. You are so right. . .they all have shiny black
hair. . . not only curly, but long too, like they ALL have Japenese/Korean genes(not African genes for sure). For I have never seen a 'bald' one. . .not nappy hair for the African climate at all. . . the fine silky strands on these vermin, with their extremely lean bodies. . . . are fit for weaves of exports!!! Even bald people or the elderly people with 'grey' hair strands of hair will be soooooooooooooo jealous of them

Good lord!
Disgusting things.

OTA PIA PIA ALL OVER THE HOUSE. . .for your sanity!!!!

i love this
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by dapachez: 8:04am On Feb 25, 2011
Call the police
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Winnerslfc(m): 8:38am On Feb 25, 2011
@poster,
thanks for sharing.
I have only one method i can recommend. Its called biological method. In this method, you use the natural enemies of an animal to get rid of them.
In the case of rats, i recommend cats but please a well- trained white cat so that it won't scare you away one night.
They deal with these rats very well, infact at the smell of a cat, every rat shall run away for ever lol.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nobody: 8:43am On Feb 25, 2011
Call 911 grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Nosyke(m): 9:26am On Feb 25, 2011
very funny thread indeed, and very funny suggestions grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by stagger: 9:32am On Feb 25, 2011
Indocid mixed with ground crayfish. Tried it and cleared off 4 rats that were driving me crazy in my house. For better effect, use the high dose versions.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by kemisuga(f): 9:37am On Feb 25, 2011
Very Funny Thread grin grin grin grin grin

A CAT will do those RAT justice.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by vanitty: 9:37am On Feb 25, 2011
Winnerslfc:

@poster,
thanks for sharing.
I have only one method i can recommend. Its called biological method. In this method, you use the natural enemies of an animal to get rid of them.
In the case of rats, i recommend cats but please a well- trained[b] white cat so that it won't scare you away one night[/b].
They deal with these rats very well, infact at the smell of a cat, every rat shall run away for ever lol.

lololololol
All black cats are witches lolololol
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Ultrame(m): 10:25am On Feb 25, 2011
Ha! O ga o! This rat infestation thing is a serious matter.

I was a victim too. I kept waking up consistently around 2 am because I had some very large rats in my ceiling. They make all sorts of annoyingly loud noises that would rob me of sleep and it almost drove me crazy. Picture a man poking at his roof with a mop stick in the middle of the night!!! Yeah, that was me.

One night i just got fed up.

On my way from work, I bought some rat poison (the one in a sachet) from a mallam and some fried fish from a local BUKA. (The young lady that sold the fish thought i was going to soak gaari with the fish because i couldn’t afford a 'proper' meal and she awkwardly offered me some food. LOL.  I quickly explained myself).

When i got home, I soaked gaari with some of the fish  grin grin grin

(Don’t blame me! the scent was so irresistibly sweet and feeding the whole lot to some useless vermin made my blood boil) I applied the poison to the rest of the fish and entered my ceiling with it.

I spread the fish/poison in a way the rats could not miss it. i spread it everywhere.

Less than 30 minutes later, they came to feed and I’ve not heard from them since then. I didn’t even bother checking for their remains, for as long as there was no smell in my apartment and no noise in my ceiling, I’m cool.

So, here’s my advice my friend:  Buy some fried fish and rat poison and spread it everywhere (only do this if you don’t have little children or pets) and regain your lost apartment.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by omeonu(m): 10:36am On Feb 25, 2011
@ poster, After u might av try all these solutions listed to u, mentioning of Snake, Gun, Bomb and all that and those rats do not surrender, i suggest u go for what we call "negotiation". Yes! u av to negotiate with the rat because, the Nigeria rats i know can never surrender. The more u kill the more they come, if u finish killing the one in ur house, neighbour rat will join even if u try kill all the one in ur street, the next street is not far from ur street, going like that from local government rat to another local government rat. It has come to the extent that i dont use broom in my house anymore. If ther is any food dropped on the ground, before i will go and get broom to clean up, my tenant (Rat) have help me out.They will be comming out as if they are in the battle field. they will stay under the dinning Table waiting as u are eating without you seeing them. To my greatest supprise, they know when is my breakfast, lunch or dinner. But if i dont have any meal as at that time, u wount see them, "I Guess they must have gone for SIESTA" and to be frank with u, they are so freeesssh- No raches. what u should do ehn: ,
 Just look for a room at the boys Quarter , make it comfortable for them, make them move in there by putting all left over food in there and u will put at least 2 cats outside the room (dey no born dem well to com outside). But if there is any one left in ur room while others are at the BQ, i bet u, Lonlinness will kill that one there.
In doing that, U av to let all scientist, student, those in lab for an experiment Know that u have all kind/ size of rat, "Depending the one in ur BQ", u can sell it if u want to. "IT'S BUSINESS"  wink

2 Likes

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by OlawumiX: 10:45am On Feb 25, 2011
@tithe

I have read and laughed till I cant sit again.  I have had this problem before and I was able to get rid of the rats, heres what I did.

In my case the whole house was infested, the first step is to identify points of entry
1.  Identify all possible points of entry, doorways, windows, cracked walls, roof etc.
2.  Plug the leak, block every entry not meant for humans, ensure that all windows have mosquito nets, for the door ways you need to make cement slab to cover spaces below the door, dont use wood, they will just eat it. Ensure the cement is at least 1 inches high close the door while cement is not set so the slurry would fill all gaps and tight.  Do this for every door in the house not just the entrance/exits
3.  Clear the passage/Corridor completely so it is completely free and well illuminated
4  Close all the doors leaving only the entrance open, then work from room to room with the door to that room only open and the room well illuminated, clean out the room carefully, upturn disturb and rearrange everything kill all the rats you come across, others would run out of the room into the passage. When do with the room, close the door firmly, kill/drive out every rat in the passage/corridor. Repeat for every other room, toilets, bathrooms, Kitchen, stores etc,
5. It is very likely that 1 or 2 would remain, so you would need to repeat the same procedure again the next day.

To forever be free from the rats these rules are essential
a.  Never leave cooked food/left over exposed anywhere in the house
b.  Store all uncooked food stuff in containers with tight lids
c.  Never leave any door open
d.  Always be on the alert when opening the entrance/exit doors, expect a rat to want to get in from the outside at all times
d.  where possible ensure that there is no space underneath furniture, where it cant be avoided make sure that there is no opening into the furniture and that the space is clear
e.  Keep the whole house very clean

Its hard work but if you keep this up even if a rat enters the house it would leave on its own because there would be no breeding spots

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Ikwikwikwi(m): 10:49am On Feb 25, 2011
import a suicide bomber from Iraq, Afganistan, or Paki grin grin
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by mrofficial(m): 11:07am On Feb 25, 2011
Go and buy those rat bombs they sell at the roadside, in traffic.

You may as well try the below.

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Sijo01(f): 11:15am On Feb 25, 2011
Its so frustrating to be living with a rat in the house. well, i will advice you get a RAT KILLER from a chemist shop(tablet) grand and mix it with rice or fish then place small quantity in different places in your house. OR go to any building material shop tell them you need a rat killer they will tell you how to use it. good luck.
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Beync(f): 11:17am On Feb 25, 2011
Start eating them rats, u will be suprised they'l become scarce
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Basics007: 12:00pm On Feb 25, 2011
This thread made me remember the funny incident in my room 3days ago.
I woke up 2am hearin scratchy noise on my Wardrobe. Thinkin it was a rat,i grabbed the nearest broom and prepared for Wardrobe War III. I put on the light only to discover a wall gecko with a cockroach hanging in it's mouth. I clapped, said "well done" and went back to sleep.

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by uchdazzle: 12:07pm On Feb 25, 2011
@posta u have a serious issue here so il will break it down for u how to kill them n wat happens if u dont kill dem
1.if u have a kitchen is it within d house or seperated from the house, if seperated let dem play in d kitchen, count your losses there n wage war wit dem dere
if not seperated say no door make sure any oda house u build u take this into cosideration
2.follow d advice given here
if u dont deal with dem rats evolve n become lethal, dey spread diseases n a big rat dat has a liking for blood becomes carnivorous n vicious, dey eat ur feet at nite jump on u n fite wen cornered, eat babies, yes eat babies(if u doubt google rats kill babies or watch d cartoon lady and d tramp by walt disney) so dont joke about it they should be taken for wat they are KILLERS
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by kollyp2000(m): 12:39pm On Feb 25, 2011
No body suggest GLUE, or RAT GUM. I enjoy killing them with gum, those rats that used to run from me and can't catch, I will just place gum at the corner of my kitchen and see all of them packing on top of each other in the morning attempting to run by can't, lol
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by silvaspecs: 1:44pm On Feb 25, 2011
USE TE PREDATOR-PREY RULE; BUY CATS, SO THEY CAN CASE TE RATS AWAY, THATS ALL!
Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by eros(m): 4:32pm On Feb 25, 2011
The average rat in my former neighbourhood became so bold that they join us in the parlour to watch super eagles match. Walahi, fear don comot for their body kpatakpata.

We bought traps, but it never catches them, they would go behind the trap and eat the fish bait, piss on the trap and walk away.
One day we ran out of fish bait and tried to deceive them by putting the picture of a fish on the trap, but when I came to check the trap in the morning to see if it has caught any rat, I saw the picture of a rat on top of the trap; Bros, i just pack my things, hire pickup van and ran from that area.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You must be a real clown with a wonderful imagination to write such a fabled experience.

Nairaland a place with great minds.

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by blank(f): 4:47pm On Feb 25, 2011
The rat in my house was d long nosed smelly ones. It killed d mouse dere b4 as in pieced it 2 shreds. It chased away my neighbours rat dat used 2 come 2 my house once in a while. When i get home 4rm work n open d door, e stench dat would hit me would tell me dat d rat had come 2 visit. When some people told me of what d rat could do, i refused 2 renew d rent. D thing could move a mighty rock i kept dere even after i had re-enforced it wit another rock. Thank God dat one is passed. Now, i am dealin wit a mouse dat likes 2 chew on paper n nothin else.

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Carlosein(m): 5:02pm On Feb 25, 2011
these posts are cracking my ribs grin

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by Carlosein(m): 5:08pm On Feb 25, 2011
mr.official:

Go and buy those rat bombs they sell at the roadside, in traffic.

You may as well try the below.

Naija rats are smarter than all these made in china arms.

for me i use gum and when it catches them, i flog the living day lights out of them (in full glare of others) i assure u dem go pack out fast fast.

my wife on the other hand prefers kill and dry. but we don't leave left overs and clean out refuse bins daily. all entrances are also well plugged. i swear any rat in my house immediately after entry is certified dead in 48hrs.

1 Like

Re: Rats: How Do I Get Rid Of These Rats! by mrofficial(m): 5:16pm On Feb 25, 2011
Carlosein:

Naija rats are smarter than all these made in china arms.

for me i use gum and when it catches them, i flog the living day lights out of them (in full glare of others) i assure u dem go pack out fast fast.

my wife on the other hand prefers kill and dry. but we don't leave left overs and clean out refuse bins daily. all entrances are also well plugged. i swear any rat in my house immediately after entry is certified dead in 48hrs.

LWTMB!

I killed so many with rat poison. But it's like they reinforce immediately. Another part is that, they don't dry up after eating the poison. They'll begin smelling, and by that, i'll have to look for the rat and then throw it out. *unnecessary wahala* I don't like rat gum, i believe a big rat like the one in my house will use the rat gum as shoe for protection. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

That Moment A Movie Gets To A Sex Scene When Watching With Your Parents / Nigerian Man in US Whose Wife Threw Him Out His Own Home Speaks (vid) / Why Do Most Wives Deny Their Husbands Sex? They Need To CHANGE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.