Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? (4444 Views)

Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief / Controversy Over Igbo Origin:‘we Have Proof That Umueri Is The Cradle Of Ndigbo’ / Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? by semasir: 9:34am On Feb 23, 2011
It is a mere write-up to write the history of Lagos with no mention of Badagry neither can you write of Nigeria or the wider West Africa and Africa ignoring Badagry as well. Though the name, Badagry, came out of oral misuse of the name Gbagleme, it has never been a Bad-agreement land as assumed by some.
Notably, Badagry had the first Christmas, first storey building and the likes been started all here and even the legendary Bishop Ajayi Crowther stayed in the storey building to translate the English Bible to Yoruba there. So far so good, the town has witnessed little or no significance change despite being the spear-head of most of innovations so to say in Nigeria.
I wonder sometimes how the state of the town as been and thanks at least to the governor who made some democracy impact felt with a better road network in the town and some lightening as well. At this age now, where does Badagry hopes to be in the nearest future? Can it be likened to the likes of Ajah, V.I., Lagos Island, Ikeja and the likes soon?
Re: Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? by ezeagu(m): 5:39pm On Feb 23, 2011
How is Badagry the 'Cradle of civilization' in Nigeria?

And Badagry did not have the first storey building.
Re: Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:44pm On Feb 23, 2011
semasir:

It is a mere write-up to write the history of Lagos with no mention of Badagry neither can you write of Nigeria or the wider West Africa and Africa ignoring Badagry as well. Though the name, Badagry, came out of oral misuse of the name Gbagleme, it has never been a Bad-agreement land as assumed by some.
Notably, Badagry had the first Christmas, first storey building and the likes been started all here and even the legendary Bishop Ajayi Crowther stayed in the storey building to translate the English Bible to Yoruba there. So far so good, the town has witnessed little or no significance change despite being the spear-head of most of innovations so to say in Nigeria.
I wonder sometimes how the state of the town as been and thanks at least to the governor who made some democracy impact felt with a better road network in the town and some lightening as well. At this age now, where does Badagry hopes to be in the nearest future? Can it be likened to the likes of Ajah, V.I., Lagos Island, Ikeja and the likes soon?

grin grin grin grin

Living on past glory. . .
Re: Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? by semasir: 9:17pm On Feb 23, 2011
@PhysicsMHD: Yeah! But it must not continue this way. Had it not been for the efforts of Governor Fashola, its possible some areas will remain as it is in Badagry town.
@Ezeagu: perhaps you don't know that education was brought to Nigeria thru Badagry even Christianity and the likes. And mind you, Badagry has the first storey building in Nigeria, check on your facts.
Re: Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? by ezeagu(m): 1:31am On Feb 24, 2011
semasir:

@Ezeagu: perhaps you don't know that education was brought to Nigeria thru Badagry even Christianity and the likes. And mind you, Badagry has the first storey building in Nigeria, check on your facts.

The area that came to be known as Nigeria had civilisation before the arrival of Christianity and Western education. There were children in different parts of what is now Nigeria being schooled in different things before 1900, including writing. The Europeans only brought their own standard education. Christianity is not a measure for a civilisation, and the people already had their own religions. There is no proof that Badagry had the first 'storey building' in Nigeria, in fact, the whole idea Badagry having the first storey building in Nigeria in the 1800s is complete nonsense. Hausa architects had been building sotrey buildings at least 500 years before a missionary ever built anything at Badagry. There are Igbo war towers still standing that have multiple platforms. Benin architecture shows evidence of storied buildings.  Badagry does not have the 'first storey building in Nigeria', by far.

[center]

[img]http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=1108108&t=w[/img]
[img]http://2.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TLvDiw1p7LI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/QUdZLOjpDz0/s1600/Dike%27s+Tower.png[/img]
[/center]

1 Like

Re: Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? by semasir: 5:35am On Feb 24, 2011
http://www.ngex.com/nigeria/places/states/lagos.htm
Go and check at the link below to get it right that Badagry has the first storey buildings o Nigeria. Please be informed as well that I'm not judging civilization based on Religion or whatever but trying to get you informed that civilization came to Nigeria thru Badagry. How do you define civilization if not as being an "advanced and organised state of human social development"?( OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNERS DICTIONARY ). Thru Badagry, advanced ways of living entered Nigeria and that's all I'd say for now.
ezeagu:

The area that came to be known as Nigeria had civilisation before the arrival of Christianity and Western education. There were children in different parts of what is now Nigeria being schooled in different things before 1900, including writing. The Europeans only brought their own standard education. Christianity is not a measure for a civilisation, and the people already had their own religions. There is no proof that Badagry had the first 'storey building' in Nigeria, in fact, the whole idea Badagry having the first storey building in Nigeria in the 1800s is complete nonsense. Hausa architects had been building sotrey buildings at least 500 years before a missionary ever built anything at Badagry. There are Igbo war towers still standing that have multiple platforms. Benin architecture shows evidence of storied buildings.  Badagry does not have the 'first storey building in Nigeria', by far.

[center]

[img]http://images.nypl.org/index.php?id=1108108&t=w[/img]
[img]http://2.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TLvDiw1p7LI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/QUdZLOjpDz0/s1600/Dike%27s+Tower.png[/img]
[/center]
Re: Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? by ezeagu(m): 5:06pm On Feb 24, 2011
semasir:

http://www.ngex.com/nigeria/places/states/lagos.htm
Go and check at the link below to get it right that Badagry has the first storey buildings o Nigeria. Please be informed as well that I'm not judging civilization based on Religion or whatever but trying to get you informed that civilization came to Nigeria thru Badagry. How do you define civilization if not as being an "advanced and organised state of human social development"?( OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNERS DICTIONARY ). Thru Badagry, advanced ways of living entered Nigeria and that's all I'd say for now.

So what would you call this Hausa building? Are they not storey buildings or are you going to tell me they were built by the British. The Europeans themselves call Benin and the rest civilizations. The people of the east kept records in the Nsibidi script, a sign of civilization. The idea of civilization coming through Badagry is nonsense, you will not see it published in any reliable and respected books. What you are talking about is modernisation which is a completely different thing. And stop relying on unreliable websites written by nobody, there are many free journals and books out there, especially if you're in a university.
Re: Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? by WheelHelms: 2:04pm On Feb 09, 2021
It is very common to find folks, especially natives of Badagry, say or write: "Badagry is Nigeria's Door of Civilization" or "Badagry is the Cradle of Civilization in Nigeria". But, is that really the case? What is the history of that cliché? Does the long history of Badagry and Nigeria prior to the coming of the European actually support that claim?

In this essay, I critically examine these questions and more, as I argue against the logic of that claim, and its implications for the Badagrian, Nigerian and African person. Do take a read. I look forward to your comments and reactions. Thank you.

Read it here: https://citymood.ng/badagry-is-not-nigerias-door-of-civilisation

(1) (Reply)

Can You Remember Igbo Novels You've Read? / What's With White This And White That? / Not Born In Nigeria = Not Nigerian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.