Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,857 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 (29316 Views)

How Wike Led Ugwuanyi, Ortom, Ikpeazu To Electoral Defeat / Saraki: How Magu Took His Non-confirmation Personally Against Me / Saraki: How Nigerians Can Prevent Election Rigging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Islie: 7:38am On Sep 16, 2020
He said the experience has placed him in a good position to talk about the need for political actors to suppress the desire for power and take side with the survival of the system.

by Alfred Olufemi
Former Senate President Bukola Saraki has related events that happened after he lost woefully in the 2019 general elections.

In 2019, Mr Saraki not only lost his grip on Kwara State after the defeat of the Peoples Democratic Party in the governorship election, he also lost his bid to return to the Senate.

The Sarakis had been at the helm of political affairs of the state for years but their grip on the political leadership of the state was ruptured after the ‘O toge’ campaign launched by the APC in 2019.

Mr Saraki and PDP were defeated by Ibrahim Oloriegbe and AbdulRazaq Abdulrahman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the senatorial and governorship contests respectively.

Meanwhile, in his address delivered at an event organised by civil societies to commemorate the International Democracy Day on Tuesday, the former lawmaker spoke about his defeat and the aftermath.

“I went into elections in 2019 in Kwara State, our party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), and myself, lost the elections. We had our reservations on the credibility of the entire electoral process. We had good evidence of the illegal deployment of state forces and other undemocratic means to achieve the results declared by the electoral body.”

He said that the whole country witnessed the level of desperation displayed by the opposition party.

“The utterances of the former chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole, who continuously boasted about how his number one priority and objective was to win Kwara State by whatever means necessary, were well documented.”

Speaking further, Mr Saraki explained that after the result of the 2019 elections was announced, he sent out messages to his followers despite their anger and quest to express their grievances, that they should accept the result and maintain peace.

“I then congratulated the winners and urged our people to support the newly elected officials. To further demonstrate good faith and gracefulness in defeat, I refused to challenge the process at the tribunal.”

He said the experience has placed him in a good position to talk about the need for political actors to suppress the desire for power and take side with the survival of the system.

“When I argue that politicians should learn to accept election results and demonstrate patriotism even in the face of naked provocation, it is based on my experience. The lives of our people, the stability of our democracy and the peace of the society are more important than our personal interest or the inflated egos of the leaders.”

Edo, Ondo Elections: What Buhari should do

In the speech, Mr Saraki advised President Muhammadu Buhari to ensure that the forthcoming elections “signpost his desire to leave for Nigeria and Africa a legacy of a true democracy and clean electoral process.”

The Edo and Ondo states governorship elections will be held on September 19 and October 10 respectively.

“This should be a starting point for our demand for a credible electoral process. Whilst we wait for the new Electoral Bill to be passed, we can begin to demand that the right things are done by all stakeholders in these elections.”

“President Buhari must use the Edo and Ondo elections to demonstrate ECOWAS commitment to credible electoral process.”

Mr Saraki further urged the president to ensure that the security agencies are misused to influence the results of the elections in Edo and Ondo States.

“Also, the electoral commission should be made to be truly immune from manipulations by individuals, no matter how highly placed.”

He also reiterated the stance of the international community on compliance with democratic processes, noting the sanction on election riggers announced by the United States yesterday.

The U.S. government has imposed visa restrictions on some Nigerians undermining electoral processes in the forthcoming elections in Edo and Ondo states.

“I call on the UK and the European Union to follow suit. This is necessary to send the right and strong signal that those who undermine democracy in Nigeria are enemies of the rest of the democratic world,” he said.

Mr Saraki demanded the president to “send a message to the National Assembly when the members resume later in the month that he wants them to present to him a new Electoral Bill for assent before the end of the year.”

PREMIUM TIMES

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by blowjob: 7:41am On Sep 16, 2020
THIEVES

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Samsimple(m): 7:44am On Sep 16, 2020
Saraki still better pass some people.. lemme not mention name

Check my signature

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by adioolayi(m): 7:44am On Sep 16, 2020
That "Otoge Movement" really dealt with Baba Oloye Saraki grin grin cheesy grin Kwarans are not smiling grin cheesy grin

Oloye Saraki is now a political motivational speaker cheesy grin cheesy....Politics is really a dirty game

83 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by tillaman(m): 7:44am On Sep 16, 2020
The people were tired so they kicked your arse out sir, It was very noble of you to accept the defeat

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by EdmundChidera(m): 7:44am On Sep 16, 2020
Saraki tenure still remains the best and not this rubber stamp members in the house

Good day everyone

125 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Nelly4you: 7:45am On Sep 16, 2020
hmm seriously

2 Likes

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by tunjijones(m): 7:45am On Sep 16, 2020
.obaseki you dey hear?

14 Likes

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 16, 2020
Baba oloye no worry
People wey dey involved don jam their own too
Ask oshiomole

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by ABOUTERICA(m): 7:46am On Sep 16, 2020
A great man.. U will forever be loved... Thank u for saving us during ur tenure

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 16, 2020
You had no option than to handle it with good faith.

From 1999 - 2019, you were on the corridor of power. It is good, let another man too eat.

And this is not limit to Saraki, all politicians who cornered power to themselves must be displaced.

28 Likes

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by jamesharryson(m): 7:46am On Sep 16, 2020
Ways of reasonable thinking fellows, the like other one who said dogs and baboons will be soaked in blood

6 Likes

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Jones4190(m): 7:47am On Sep 16, 2020
obasiki will soon visit you for more lecture

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by kambili999(f): 7:47am On Sep 16, 2020
Noted

When in power, they act like everything is under them.

When not in power, they will be acting like humble philosophers

Mtchewwww

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by StagethemTVee: 7:47am On Sep 16, 2020
The people that ousted you are the ones that really need the O to ge. Buhari...O to ge!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by kenzysmith: 7:48am On Sep 16, 2020
saraki don't mind them if I were u I will just go to new Zealand with my family and relax. if God just give me my ist billions ba to go build my house for Denmark or Sweden start my business there and stay there for 600 years

10 Likes

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by noble71(m): 7:48am On Sep 16, 2020
One of the best Senate President Nigeria ever had! Posterity will be kind to you for fighting for what is right.

Meanwhile BUY/SELL your Tron (TRX) with us.

11 Likes

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Ustec: 7:48am On Sep 16, 2020
cheesy
Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by muykem: 7:49am On Sep 16, 2020
Oga forget all these stories. Kwara people were tired of your political grip on the state and they found a good platform in APC to express themselves couple with Buhari popularity among Fulanis.

18 Likes

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Tannhauser(m): 7:50am On Sep 16, 2020
sad
Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Maxymilliano(m): 7:50am On Sep 16, 2020
Life goes on for him ...
Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by xcellentgraphic: 7:51am On Sep 16, 2020
This man still dey...lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by solmus: 7:51am On Sep 16, 2020
grin

What is this man saying bayi?! Otoge movement sent him packing, he got jinxed with failure since Ipobians started supporting him

11 Likes

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by chukwuibuipob: 7:51am On Sep 16, 2020
cheesy Baba O to ge is back

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Nobody: 7:51am On Sep 16, 2020
Good luck
Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by blackgoldd(m): 7:51am On Sep 16, 2020
I'm not ur fan, but I have said it before that I really love the way u handle ur defeat, .God bless u sir

3 Likes

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by DWJOBScom(m): 7:51am On Sep 16, 2020
They won't hear

It's a tough one for them

1 Like

Re: Bukola Saraki: How I Handled My Electoral Defeat In 2019 by Blackmann001: 7:52am On Sep 16, 2020
EastGold:
You had no option than to handle it with good faith.

From 1999 - 2019, you were on the corridor of power. It is good, let another man too eat.

What about your mentor :tinubu who is bent on making his entire kindred get to power...

If you don't know saraki stopped his father from making his sister governor instead of an outsider..because as he said its not monarchy

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Okorocha Demolishes Fence Of His Lamonde Hotel To Develop Owerri / Tinubu, South-West Leaders Reject Yoruba Nation, Support Ban On Open Grazing / Kashamu Donates Items To Residents In His House In Ogun State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.