Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

Reflections On Buhari Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reflections On Buhari Presidency (788 Views)

Tinubu May End Up Being Stranded In Buhari's Presidency!! / People That May Shape Buhari’s Presidency-Daily Trust / Buhari's Presidency: Tribalism Wins Competence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Nobody: 10:55am On Feb 28, 2011
http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/editorial/opinion/29295.html
From all indications Nigeria looks set for the April general election. Although one expects a hitch-free exercise, Muhammadu Buhari’s recent warning against rigging and against the replication of the North African scenario in Nigeria bears amplification. I believe that the only revolution possible here is a progressive one and President Goodluck Jonathan has already kick-started it, unwittingly though. Thus, as from April, we only require a proactive government in order to take it to the next level.

Nigerians afraid that the revolutionary wind sweeping across North Africa and the Arab world could spill over to the rest of the continent should perish the thought. Anyone familiar with the history of North Africa will attest to the fact that the unfolding scenario is hardly strange to the region. There will be nothing like that in Nigeria in April or the nearest future. The people of Tunisia are united by religion, tribe and tongue. Ditto for the Egyptians, Algerians and Libyans.

By promising free and fair elections and pursuing the same, and refusing to echo the familiar refrain of the Obasanjo/Ogbulafor satanic ballad which said that the PDP would rule the country for 60 consecutive years, Jonathan has unwittingly unleashed a tethered polity. He has thus encouraged liberal politics which has enabled even his ministers to resign and join parties of their choice without being victimized.

This to me is revolution par excellence.

Today, the PDP must embrace reform or disintegrate like the Whigs suffered in 18th century Britain as a result of inexorable socio-political reforms necessitated by the agricultural and industrial revolutions, resulting in the emergence of the Liberal Party which took over control of governance from 1760. Since the end of World War II, the Tories or Conservatives and Labor have taken over.

The ongoing realignment of forces has significantly enriched our politics. It has helped the Action Congress of Nigeria ACN to attract members who have broadened its outlook with the possibility of winning not just ordinary seats outside the southwest but also gubernatorial contests. Above all, the unleashing of the polity has ensured the emergence of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC)-as a party to watch. In fact, I must confess that I am fascinated by the concept of the CPC and its presidential ticket. It appears to be the party with the most thought-provoking title and most profound message.

The idea of “progressive change” couldn’t have been arrived at by rule of tongue. The change that could effectively take root in Nigeria, let me repeat for the umpteenth time; will be progressive unlike in North Africa where it happens in one fell swoop.

Therefore, I do doff my hat to Buhari and co for their wisdom, maturity and foresight. Buhari is a beacon. Even though for four consecutive years (1975-1979) he was in a position to amass wealth (as state governor and as Petroleum Minister/Chairman, NNPC and later (1994) as Chairman Petroleum Trust Fund) he was never swayed by material possession, perhaps believing like Chaucer that “overplenty feeds the pride which poverty conquers.”

Anyone who has closely followed his political career will appreciate that though he is self-effacing and near taciturn, he is honest and resilient, consistent and courageous, patriotic, frugal, selfless and hardworking. Let me also confess at this point that I have never been enamored of the idea of any transformed military officer leading a democratic dispensation in Nigeria. But all that has faded in the face of the hydra-headed troubles of the land.

It is true that President Jonathan is not doing badly in the face of all this, but to what extent can he cope in the years ahead? The office today requires a person with “big biceps”. If Jonathan’s biceps are not big enough, which of the other parties, beyond sentiment, can save us from a situation that calls for real courage, gumption, initiative, decisiveness and a measure of aggressiveness?

President Jonathan is of the mould of Jimmy Carter-a dovish kind of leader-whereas the contemporary challenges of the office call for either a Ronald Reagan, or Bill Clinton or a Charles De Gaulle since the Churchills are very rare breed. I would prefer a president like De Gaulle of whose image Buhari reminds me.

In 1958, France’s many woes-domestic and foreign-forced the return of De Gaulle, a World War hero and highly disciplined leader, back to power. Thus was born the French Fifth Republic.

Conscious that part of the country’s troubles stemmed from official ineptitude and colonialism, De Gaulle made up his mind right from the beginning to let go of all colonies. To achieve this, he had asked for and obtained the enabling constitution plus the powers of executive president. He then systematically proceeded to out-maneuver the notorious French forces at home and abroad, decimated the OAS in Algeria, stopped political terrorism and in the end France stepped out majestically and was able not only to explode its own nuclear bomb in 1959 but also look NATO in the face and say no.

In view of the Nigerian situation which resembles that of France in 1958, I am inclined to think that between Jonathan and Buhari, only the later can effectively manage here. The combination of Buhari and Bakare is novel and unprecedented in Nigerian politics. I don’t know Buhari from Adam and although it is difficult to forgive and forget his jailing of Tunde Thompson and Nduka Irabor, he appears compassionate.

I was editor of Satellite the Enugu based newspaper in 1984, when Buhari as Head of State paid a four-day state visit to Anambra State. The Governor, Allison Madueke had ordered the arrest and detention of my colleague and editor of Sunday Satellite Chigozie Ozim on the flimsy excuse that he published a letter to the editor considered to be offensive to the Anambra State government.  All entreaties for clemency by the management of the company and other sympathizers fell on deaf ears.

Ozim’s Wife Urel was six months pregnant when her husband was arrested and had been delivered of a baby boy two weeks before Buhari’s visit. The baby, because of the incarceration of the father could not be named. Mrs. Ozim thus seized the opportunity of Buhari’s visit to cry out for help.

With her baby in tow she came to the newsroom and broke down in tears. “Please help bring the plight of my husband to the knowledge of the Head of State, I have suffered a lot”, she cried with tears flowing freely. Pointing at her baby, she continued, “This child won’t grow up a happy boy if he is reared in bitterness, agony and avoidable hardship. You can see this baby has no name because his father is not around and I have no access to him”.

The next day, September 24, 1984, we published the story front page, together with the picture of Mrs Ozim and her baby. The minister of internal affairs, Major General Magoro who was on the entourage of Buhari drew his attention to the story and Ozim was released even before the end of the tour. For a man who often appeared to be uncompromisingly strict in public, such manifestation of considerable personal empathy in private is an enamouring attribute of great leaders.

Godwin Nzeakah, a journalist writes from Lagos
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 28, 2011
This private revelation by this journalist impressed me:

I was editor of Satellite the Enugu based newspaper in 1984, when Buhari as Head of State paid a four-day state visit to Anambra State. The Governor, Allison Madueke had ordered the arrest and detention of my colleague and editor of Sunday Satellite Chigozie Ozim on the flimsy excuse that he published a letter to the editor considered to be offensive to the Anambra State government. All entreaties for clemency by the management of the company and other sympathizers fell on deaf ears.

Ozim’s Wife Urel was six months pregnant when her husband was arrested and had been delivered of a baby boy two weeks before Buhari’s visit. The baby, because of the incarceration of the father could not be named. Mrs. Ozim thus seized the opportunity of Buhari’s visit to cry out for help.

With her baby in tow she came to the newsroom and broke down in tears. “Please help bring the plight of my husband to the knowledge of the Head of State, I have suffered a lot”, she cried with tears flowing freely. Pointing at her baby, she continued, “This child won’t grow up a happy boy if he is reared in bitterness, agony and avoidable hardship. You can see this baby has no name because his father is not around and I have no access to him”.

The next day, September 24, 1984, we published the story front page, together with the picture of Mrs Ozim and her baby. The minister of internal affairs, Major General Magoro who was on the entourage of Buhari drew his attention to the story and Ozim was released even before the end of the tour. For a man who often appeared to be uncompromisingly strict in public, such manifestation of considerable personal empathy in private is an enamouring attribute of great leaders
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by potofsoup: 11:12am On Feb 28, 2011
I am sure the people that got killed and slammed in jail also begged, begged and begged.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by md4real(m): 12:10pm On Feb 28, 2011
what more do you want to convince you that BB ticket is the answer?
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Godmann(m): 1:27pm On Feb 28, 2011
potof_soup:

I am sure the people that got killed and slammed in jail also begged, begged and begged.

I am sure that you are a liar because no jounalist was killed in detension by the Buhari Regime. Only convicted drug traficker were killed. And I guess we can also agree that Buhari was too linient to have spared the lives of 500 corrupt politicians. Nigeria would have been a better place without them.

Let us say the truth for once and stop lying.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by potofsoup: 1:37pm On Feb 28, 2011
^^^^

Where did i say he killed journalists?

Try read properly sir.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by md4real(m): 2:06pm On Feb 28, 2011
potof_soup:

^^^^

Where did i say he killed journalists?

Try read properly sir.

and here

potof_soup:

abi journalist no be people.lol
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by potofsoup: 2:11pm On Feb 28, 2011
^^^
u r just trying to be mischievous.

No need to talk with you. You can LOL till eternity.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Godmann(m): 3:09pm On Feb 28, 2011
potof_soup:

^^^

Please let us be serious. Who are the people that Buhari killed and what is wrong about that? Did Buhari kill anybody either in the secret or in the open outside those drug traffikers during his regime?

If not whay did you insunuate in your earlier response?
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by potofsoup: 3:18pm On Feb 28, 2011
potof_soup:

The above was my statement, if you are not being mischievous, you will not interpret that statement to mean that Buhari killed journalists. I leave you to your conscience,
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by 10cirenoh: 3:25pm On Feb 28, 2011
^^^^

Okay, can you explain what you meant to us?
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Godmann(m): 4:28pm On Feb 28, 2011
potof_soup:

The above was my statement, if you are not being mischievous, you will not interpret that statement to mean that Buhari killed journalists. I leave you to your conscience,

So who and who was jailed and who was killed?

Why are you evading the question? You made a statement and you do not want to substantiate your allegations? If you do not, they will become lies and you will become a liar.

Period.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by md4real(m): 5:03pm On Feb 28, 2011
@potof soup? I hope you aint confusing the posters? Handle issues with the please and stop beeing evasive.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Feb 28, 2011
potof_soup:

OK . . . so who were those who were killed then? We would sincerely like to know.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Pukkah: 5:16pm On Feb 28, 2011
potof_soup:

Kindly educate me on those Buhari killed so that I can review my stand on him.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Kobojunkie: 3:52am On Mar 01, 2011
@Poster, are there fliers available for print?
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by agabaI23(m): 4:05am On Mar 01, 2011
The advent of pentecostal churches
The relegation of Catholic church
The pentecostal churches are not lasting the distance.
Just halfway, their actions have overshadowed the 'evils' of catholic church yet they are busy condemning the catholic Church.

Sugar coating of a bitter kola can only postpone the bitter taste.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Beaf: 4:10am On Mar 01, 2011
Buhari killed innocent people with backdated laws. I can't understand why anybody is ignorant of this, or maybe some here should be in the rumour section of NL.

As for journalists, Buhari sent them to jail, simply for speaking the truth at a time truth was banned so long as Buhari deemed it embarrassing.

Buhari also introduced a law under which he could lock you up and throw away the key, simply if he didn't like you, your mum or your dog. Under that law, there was no legal redress; if the monster locked you up, you were basically fcked.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Pataki: 4:45am On Mar 01, 2011
potof_soup:

^^^

Why are you using two identities to say the same thing here?

You are definitely ''AgainstGEJ''. Exactly the same pattern of argument.
Re: Reflections On Buhari Presidency by Godmann(m): 10:44am On Mar 01, 2011
Beaf:

Buhari killed innocent people with backdated laws. I can't understand why anybody is ignorant of this, or maybe some here should be in the rumour section of NL.

As for journalists, Buhari sent them to jail, simply for speaking the truth at a time truth was banned so long as Buhari deemed it embarrassing.

Buhari also introduced a law under which he could lock you up and throw away the key, simply if he didn't like you, your mum or your dog. Under that law, there was no legal redress; if the monster locked you up, you were basically fcked.

Buhari killed drug traffickers with retroactive laws. Yes I support him fully on this. If a retroactive laws can be used to wipe all the corrupt elements in the country, we will all be better for it.

I wonder when drug traffickers become innocent people if not for you lying PDP public office looters. Are you also aware that Obama used same retroactive laws to compel British Petroleum to clean up the mess arising from the oil spillage in United States Gulf of Mexico?  When will the stealing PDP government you are working for use same retroactive laws to clean up all the mess in Niger Delta? Moreso now that that their head is a son of Niger Delta if truly he is for the interest of the masses of this country?

Shame to liars like you. Now that you have been exposed, I hope you can take a leave out of the public space, or at least repent and join the agents of truth.

(1) (Reply)

Kaduna Stands Still For Buhari / DDC Machine: Inec It Officer, 4 Others Arrested In Ibadan In Hotel Room / Buhari: The Misguided Passion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.