Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,466 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Gladiator Vs 300 - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Gladiator Vs 300 (8481 Views)

Poll: 300 vs gladiator

300: 60% (18 votes)
gladiator: 40% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Is The Best Gladiator With Their Movies / Watch Gladiator Online Free / Gladiator Or Braveheart: Which Is The Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 1:04pm On Jun 22, 2007
i noticed that the two movies aree similar but will like to know more from the Nairaland users, with   points which movie is the best and which of the hero in da movies is da best

i will start by saying that gladiator is the best movie iv set my eyes on, and the ending of 300 was starting to look like gladiator, with the spartan queen in the wheat scene, and leonidis the spartan king thinking of his wife when dying, i also feel the poetry in gladiator was more touching and had more variety of scenes,

i know both of them are just movies, but if maximus was to face the spartan king in battle what will u think will happen?
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by PoDeep(m): 2:47pm On Jun 22, 2007
Yea, 300 adopted some stuff from Braveheart & Gladiator.
But of all heroes, William Wallace is my best. There's a tie between Maximus & Leonidas. I l.u.v 'em all though.

1 Like

Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by iice(f): 4:23pm On Jun 22, 2007
The similarities lie in the underlying themes: Justice, Passion, Freedom, Love, Courage. I love both films very much.
Both are soldiers/warriors (Maximus/Leonidas). They love battles grin grin Romans are renowned for their battle strategy which basically focuses more on systemization, discipline, practical adaptation etc and of course famous for the legions of soldiers. The Spartans again in 300 show the importance of training, use of terrain against enemies and embodiment of courage!

Elysium, which is mentioned in Gladiator means paradise. I guess it is why Maximus had that vision upon his death, moving through the fields, where there is peace and calm thereby giving one the feeling of floating and being weightless because one leaves behind his struggle and hold. And finally into the arms of his beloved - paradise = elysium.

Leonidas death i liken more to a barbarian's death. Like the vikings who believe that you can only make your way into Valhalla (Norse Heaven) when you die in battle. To know that when you die, the Valkyries will come and take you to Valhalla, only gives one the incentive to prove one's skill in battle and if death be the end, to them it was worth it more than almost anything to have died gloriously in battle grin I thought his death was glorious!

Like i said, the underlying themes are what draws all these characters together and makes it interesting. I guess it is why some of us are drawn to Maximus/Leonidas/Wallace. They embodied courage, passion, justice, love (for country) freedom! And i love them all! grin grin
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 6:22pm On Jun 24, 2007
thanks podeep and 9ice, 9ice u seem to know a whole lot,
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 6:25pm On Jun 24, 2007
another hero has been added, williams wallace, let me ask another question, i love them all too, and though they all died for a good reason whose death was more valuable to his nation?
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by iice(f): 4:36am On Jun 25, 2007
My name has been remixed? grin
It's iice. . .

gotta run be back later to answer your question.
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by PoDeep(m): 10:21am On Jun 25, 2007
The most valuable death? None.
The three deaths equal each other.
1. Wallace's death led to the liberation of the scots from the english.
2. Maximus' led to the liberation of the romans from a tyrannical government which didn't regard the senate.
3. Leonidas' led to the liberation of spartans from the persians.
All deaths were priceless.
BUT I'd say the most dignifying was Maximus' death. HE GOT TO KILL THE TYRANT WITH HIS OWN HANDS. HE ACTUALLY WATCHED HIM DIE! HOW FULFILLING!!
Whereas, Wallace didn't get to kill the English king & Leonidas didn't get to kill Xerxes. Well, I guess that's why Braveheart & 300 are true life stories. It shows that nothing comes easy and you needn't get to the "Promise Land" physically, as long as you strived for it, then you are with(in their hearts)those that made it there.
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by MP007(m): 2:34pm On Jun 25, 2007
this is hard ooo, 300, babay .spataaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 3:27pm On Jun 25, 2007
sorry iice for remixing tha name, i like the artist 9ice thats why,
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 3:30pm On Jun 25, 2007
yeah 300 was good but i still take gladiator, but i mite agree to brave heart, cos out of the three heroes, william wallace had little resources to fight with i mean weapon not number, and his death was touching, back to 300, even if leonidis did not go to fight persia dont u think it would have been imposible for the persians to come to sparta and defeat them?
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 3:35pm On Jun 25, 2007
another question, out of the three of them who lost what he had the most, as for me is maximus, cos he lost the throne, his family i remember my most interesting part of the movie, husband to a murdered wife,father to a murdered son, and he lost his position as commander of the army and the army
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by iice(f): 2:53pm On Jun 26, 2007
dejahvu:

sorry iice for remixing tha name, i like the artist 9ice thats why,

It's all good wink

Have to agree with Po Deep on the worthiness undecided of the deaths. All are equal. Their deaths all made an impact in their respective towns, countries and even history.

dejahvu:

another question, out of the three of them who lost what he had the most, as for me is maximus, because he lost the throne, his family i remember my most interesting part of the movie, husband to a murdered wife,father to a murdered son, and he lost his position as commander of the army and the army

All lost greatly. What is important to them is relative. Maximus lost his family, his position in the army, his freedom, his life,. So did Leonidas (his throne, his family, his freedom, his life). Wallace lost his family, his freedom, his life.
With Maximus, you saw that his family, his honor were very important to him. With Leonidas, you saw his freedom, his honor, his family was important to him. With Wallace, you saw his freedom, his family, his honor were important to him. To each, what he considered the most precious was the most important.

I fell they all lost alot but also gained what the intended to gain. Freedom for their people/country, making life a li'l more better for their families and like all the greats, they made into history.
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 3:29pm On Jun 26, 2007
another observation, i noticed that in 300 and braveheart there was only one outstanding cast leonidis for 300 and william wallace for braveheart, but in gladiator maximus and commodus were very outstanding, that makes them two, if u have any outstanding in 300 and braveheart let me know
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 6:00pm On Jul 05, 2007
i will like quotes from da 3 movies that interest you the most,

at my signal,unleash hell, maximus gladiator

give them nothing
take from them everything, leonidis 300
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 6:04pm On Jul 05, 2007
spartans whats ur professionawoo awoo awoo 300

im maximus the saviour of rome, commodus's nephew, ive forgotten his name
commodus replied who said that?
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by rasulua(m): 9:41pm On Jul 05, 2007
Man i swear i jst dnt kn which 1 2 go 4,der are bt bloody films,i felt does move in my system,bt d common tin in dem all is dat dey all die at d end its too bad i almost cried.
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by rasulua(m): 9:45pm On Jul 05, 2007
Man i swear i jst dnt kn which 1 2 go 4,der are bt bloody films,i felt does move in my system,bt d common tin in dem all is dat dey all die at d end its too bad i almost cried.
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 06, 2007
Maximus, Maximus maximus

need I say more, the script for Gladiator was tight, much more than Spartan which had this quirky humor
Gladiator was a serious drama , no comic relief

but the script read like poetry

that line about, father to a murdered son etc then ending with Maximus saying I will have my revenge in this life or the next.
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by iice(f): 3:32pm On Jul 06, 2007
I love alot of quotes in all the movies, here are just some

From Gladiator
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

From 300
Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood

From Braveheart
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 11:29am On Jul 10, 2007
commodus

the people love him,it vexes me,i am vexed
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 3:22pm On Jul 20, 2007
its been long somebody posted stuff here, ok lets criticize the 3 movies

i will start with 300, the story line was weak,
they were using the same kind of effects over and over i mean the slowmotion stuff
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 4:20pm On Aug 04, 2007
its been long someone posted here
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by iice(f): 4:25pm On Aug 04, 2007
LOL yeah
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by WebMonk(m): 6:27pm On Aug 04, 2007
nice topic you have here. but i think we shouldn't stray too far from the topic: Maximus{gladiator} Vs Leonidis Spartan King{300}

if it was just gladiator vs 300 then it's fine by me. but the above (if they acted it), e hard o! it would be bloody (i stand by 300' side)
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 1:48pm On Aug 27, 2007
due to a post by webmonk im changing the topic to 300 vs gladiator,
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 2:18pm On Aug 27, 2007
i just watched gladiator 3 days ago, its a better movie than 300, the story line of 300 was weak
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by tete(f): 5:51pm On Aug 27, 2007
I watched 300 hundred in the cinema. Bet you can imagine the effects cool. It was WOW!!! out of this world. 300 has a bit of everything, comedy, drama but mostly action this combination made the movie wholesome. check out 6packs shocked fit and beautiful bodies wink and the fight scenes, dem no get part two

I watched Gladiator a while back. Its okay if you're into such movies, which I am but between the two i'll pick 300 hundred anyday smiley
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by iice(f): 2:51am On Aug 28, 2007
grin grin See ma hubby Gerard Butler and his nine packs? grin grin
The effects are WOW!
Pure adrenaline. . .lotsa lotsa action. . .mi loff it!! grin grin
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by yewaman1(m): 10:20am On Aug 28, 2007
Po Deep correct guy
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 4:19pm On Aug 30, 2007
russel crowe is da bobmb, it aint all about six pack,
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by dejahvu(m): 4:21pm On Aug 30, 2007
300 was cool bt there was repitition of the slow mo effects, story line 0
Re: Gladiator Vs 300 by iice(f): 6:12pm On Aug 30, 2007
*rolls eyes* doiii sure it ain't all about the six pack. . .while is not what a film is obviously made of, it's still a pretty sight

Sorry? Was the slow mo supposed to be done only once undecided
Remember The Matrix. . .after the first show of Carrie Ann Moss freezing in mid air (which changed movie making), don't tell me you weren't hungering for more shots like that undecided
The story line need not appeal to all. . .they may be speaking of similar things, but the feel is different. . .this is based on a graphic novel. Have you read the novel? The movie is almost the same way. . .the way it was pictured there, is how it came out on tv. It's supposed to have an element of 'comicness' (wording!) and touch of the fantasy despite it being based on some real events

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

23 Best Movies On Netflix You Haven’t Yet Seen / Indian Actress Vs American Actress Who Are The Best / Crazy With Sex - Latest 2015 Nigerian Nollywood Ghallywood Movie 18+

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.